Little Carry 1911's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Little Carry 1911's

sawgrass
08-16-2012, 20:28
I think the first gun post I ever made was here asking the age old which 1911? That was several 1911's ago. The biggest thing that I remember was that Bac was one of the few who listened when I admitted that I'm a 5'2" female who wanted a 1911. Most of the guys offered some other type of gun.

I've bought and sold a few have several and love them all. The problem is that every time I upgrade as my checking acct. will allow I'm able to discern the differences.

These days I think steak is a good analogy. Sirloin tastes ok as long as you avoid the cowboy ribeye.

Until yesterday I loved my Colt Defender. So my question is: Is it the same with compact 1911's? The Defender is the only one that I have ever shot. How does it compare to a Stinger or a Dan Wesson compact?

bac1023
08-16-2012, 21:07
Rhonda, the newer subcompact 1911s are definitely an improvement over the old standard.

While I'm not a huge fan of small 1911s, they have improved drasically during the last 5 to 10 years.

G26S239
08-17-2012, 03:53
I never tried the Colt Defender, I have a Kimber Ultra CDPII that I like a lot. I briefly had an RIA 1911cs but traded it for an FNP 40. The only thing I didn't like on my Ultra CDPII was the plastic MSH so I changed it out for a stainless checkered S&A flat MSH.

sawgrass
08-17-2012, 07:05
I'm just not tall enough to carry a full size 1911.
I look like someone in a three legged race.

I tried the P238 route and found that if I have to dress to conceal it, I can conceal a G26 with the same clothing.
I didn't keep the P238.

The Defender falls into about the same category. I'm not fairly assessing the Defender because I'm comparing it to my current favorite full size 1911's.

I would like to pick up a compact for carry as a 1911 fits my hand and I shoot them well. I just don't know which one and I don't know if they range in quality like full size 1911's. I bought the Defender at a little shop for CHEAP
so it's a keeper. I simply don't want to make a $1500 or more mistake.

ca survivor
08-17-2012, 10:15
there is the Commander size 41/4", and a few good 4" models, now days I'm looking at the Sig C3

limbkiller
08-18-2012, 05:07
Find a good deal on a RIA. They run great and if you don't like smaller 1911s you can sell it quick without much or any loss of funds. If you do like them you can still sell it and upgrade.

bac1023
08-18-2012, 05:35
there is the Commander size 41/4", and a few good 4" models, now days I'm looking at the Sig C3

I love commanders, but they aren't that much easier to conceal than a Governement model. The grip is still the same size and that's usually the tougest thing to conceal.

CDR_Glock
08-18-2012, 05:47
I conceal a Commander length 1911 by IWB. I used a Shielded Holsters Phalanx. It's the smallest 1911 size I'd trust. I'm more accurate at longer distances with it than my full sized 1911; which seems odd.

I own a Detonics CombatMaster V but it has no advantage in reliability, handling or concealment over a Glock 36.

I've tried my friend's Colt Defender. They're excellent for how they feel. It was quite accurate for the size and it did not misfeed when I shot it. My friend ended up selling his because of reliability issues. I'm guessing he was limp wristing. I didn't have the extra money at the time since I just moved. Otherwise, it'd be in my safe.

ca survivor
08-18-2012, 09:09
I love commanders, but they aren't that much easier to conceal than a Governement model. The grip is still the same size and that's usually the tougest thing to conceal.
agree with you Bac, but the OP is a female and they have hips ...:rofl:

FLSlim
08-18-2012, 10:25
Be sure to look at the 'tweeners; CCO sized 1911. They are a nice compromise with the shorter grip and Commander barrel. I have a LW version and it is a dream to carry. Various dealers offer them, e.g., Colt (Talo), STI, and DW among others. Happy hunting!

countrygun
08-18-2012, 11:47
All I can rationally say is that a TINY little 1911 keeps handing me platesfull of crow on a regular basis.

For years I carried a Kimbe Compact and, In my mind at least, that WAS as small as you could go with the 1911 if you wanted anything more than an unreliable novelty.

Well SWMBO (the wife) wanted "her own" Kimber and without a "by your leave" bought an Ultra Raptor II CS. I howled like an animal in a trap, I was just short of..well..."ballistic" (pardon the pun). Now, 18 months later, she regulary hands me a plate of crow because it just keeps on shooting, and darned accurately to boot.

I still think there is some kind of "black magic" involved.I haven't found any signs of animal sacrifices but we did get a bill for a couple dozen black candles not long ago.

rich52us
08-18-2012, 13:29
Until yesterday I loved my Colt Defender. So my question is: Is it the same with compact 1911's? The Defender is the only one that I have ever shot. How does it compare to a Stinger or a Dan Wesson compact?

So what happened yesterday to change your mind about the Defender? I don't think youll find another 3" .45 1911 that shoots significantly better, unless you go heavier. Then the weight may be an issue for carry.

If you want to go 9MM or .40 cal, the Springfield EMP is a great carry piece.

sawgrass
08-18-2012, 14:32
So what happened yesterday to change your mind about the Defender? I don't think youll find another 3" .45 1911 that shoots significantly better, unless you go heavier. Then the weight may be an issue for carry.

If you want to go 9MM or .40 cal, the Springfield EMP is a great carry piece.

I don't want a 9. I carry a Glock or a Beretta for that.
I don't want a .40 because I don't want to add a caliber
to my collection. I also don't love two tone guns.

So I went to the range. I warmed up with a .22. I shot a Springfield Loaded 9mm. Then I shot a Kimber Eclipse 1911 .45, then I shot a Les Baer SRP .45, without any issues. Then I shot the Defender. I kept it on the paper, but barely. It was throwing brass all over the place too. It was hitting me in the head, the face to the left to the right all over! I suppose I will try a new recoil spring and see if that helps. I thought damn, maybe it's me. So I shot the two Govt. 1911's again and they held the groups that I expected. :dunno:ETA: all shooting was at 10yds.

I haven't shot the Defender in a while but with Fall approaching I can conceal more gun.

rich52us
08-18-2012, 14:51
I don't want a 9. I carry a Glock or a Beretta for that.
I don't want a .40 because I don't want to add a caliber
to my collection. I also don't love two tone guns.

So I went to the range. I warmed up with a .22. I shot a Springfield Loaded 9mm. Then I shot a Kimber Eclipse 1911 .45, then I shot a Les Baer SRP .45, without any issues. Then I shot the Defender. I kept it on the paper, but barely. It was throwing brass all over the place too. It was hitting me in the head, the face to the left to the right all over! I suppose I will try a new recoil spring and see if that helps. I thought damn, maybe it's me. So I shot the two Govt. 1911's again and they held the groups that I expected. :dunno:ETA: all shooting was at 10yds.

I haven't shot the Defender in a while but with Fall approaching I can conceal more gun.

I understand about the caliber choices. I also never bought into .40

You sound like a very experienced shooter. However, I find if I don't really have a tight grip on the Defender, I get the erratic brass ejection.

Jim S.
08-18-2012, 18:33
I've found that erratic ejection can be caused by an out of adjustment extractor.
I would not suspect the recoil spring unless it is not feeding properly along with the ejection problems.
I'm not familiar with the Defender but I once had an Officer's ACP and it was very concealable and it worked perfectly, only I was not as accurate with it compared to a full size.
I sold it to a friend who was more accurate with it than I thought the gun was capable of.

sawgrass
08-18-2012, 22:52
I understand about the caliber choices. I also never bought into .40

You sound like a very experienced shooter. However, I find if I don't really have a tight grip on the Defender, I get the erratic brass ejection.

I didn't have any problems with the govt. size. I don't think that I was limp wristing. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow FIRST and see what happens.

I've found that erratic ejection can be caused by an out of adjustment extractor.
I would not suspect the recoil spring unless it is not feeding properly along with the ejection problems.
I'm not familiar with the Defender but I once had an Officer's ACP and it was very concealable and it worked perfectly, only I was not as accurate with it compared to a full size.
I sold it to a friend who was more accurate with it than I thought the gun was capable of.

Hey you and your scary avatar.:whistling: Long time no speak.:cool:
I don't know what happened. How do I check the extractor?

I did hold an ECO(?) and a few Kimbers today. I couldn't for the life of me figure out the differences in a $700 Kimber and a $1595 Kimber. It pissed me off a little. Too many similar guns just like the Sig P238.
Can you tell me how to check the extractor adjustment?

Jim S.
08-19-2012, 19:28
Can you tell me how to check the extractor adjustment?

I would recommend that you Google it, there are some very good articles and videos that would explain it better than I could.
(too involved for a quick reply)
:wavey:

glock2740
08-19-2012, 19:55
The CCO is a great and reliable format for a good CC 1911. :cool:

Shark1007
08-19-2012, 21:22
I really like the Colt New Agent crimson trace. It's on the way back from Colt Custom Shop with bigger beavertail, better thumb safety, throat and trigger job for $205.00

It feeds reliabily and is light weight. It may be the perfect carry gun, but so may be my PM45 or XDS or C3 or something else.

PlasticGuy
08-21-2012, 14:35
1) Yes, spending more money on a compact 1911 will generally get you a better gun. The Kimber is a terrible example though. There is little difference in fit and function between their basic and top end guns. The Les Baer Stinger was mentioned, and it is an exceptional handgun.

2) My recommendation is to pass on the smallest 1911's, and split the difference with a CCO sized gun. That combines the smaller grip of the Officer's Model, with the slightly longer slide of the Commander. This gives you more concealability than the Commander, and more reliability and accuracy than the Officer. Best of both, in my opinion. I like my Colt CCO, love my Les Baer Stinger, and have been very impressed with a friend's Dan Wesson CCO. You do get your money's worth with all three.

recon0317
08-21-2012, 15:57
I used to carry a Colt Defender. Carried it for years. I just acquired a Springfield Operator Micro Compact and the difference is night and day. Besides being lighter, the Springfield.just shoots better. Lower recoil, better sights, smoother trigger. Just a huge step up.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Seale Team
08-21-2012, 21:13
Having met my wife on the range, we share a lot of shooting experiences between us. She normally carries a Glock 19, but recently in handling my Kimber Compact I become scared I was about to lose it.

I have nothing to say bad about it, other than I'd liked to have a rail on it.

Give one a try.

sawgrass
08-22-2012, 07:17
Thanks guys for all of the good info. I'm going to add something likely with an officer's size grip and a 4 1/4" barrel.

I don't know what yet. It would be great if whatever it is can come with a short match trigger properly fitted from the start.

sawgrass
08-22-2012, 07:19
I used to carry a Colt Defender. Carried it for years. I just acquired a Springfield Operator Micro Compact and the difference is night and day. Besides being lighter, the Springfield.just shoots better. Lower recoil, better sights, smoother trigger. Just a huge step up.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Congrats!

PlasticGuy
08-23-2012, 12:40
Thanks guys for all of the good info. I'm going to add something likely with an officer's size grip and a 4 1/4" barrel.

I don't know what yet. It would be great if whatever it is can come with a short match trigger properly fitted from the start.
Baer will build a Stinger with a short trigger, if you order it that way. The Talo Colt CCO comes with a short trigger.

sawgrass
08-23-2012, 14:01
Baer will build a Stinger with a short trigger, if you order it that way. The Talo Colt CCO comes with a short trigger.

I haven't looked at a Colt. I've been reading a lot about Guncrafter Industries No Name. I'm trying to find someone local to shoot a CCO before I order anything. The price point on a Stinger from CJ is $1200 LESS than a GC CCO that I saw NIB for sale yesterday online. That's a big price difference. Does anyone have any opinions why it is SO different, and what makes it worth it?

Vanman2004b
08-23-2012, 14:38
Take a look at a DW CCO.

kindaclever1
08-23-2012, 15:30
My wife carries a Kimber ultra carry. She is 5'3 and scuff's at any other caliber then a .45:dunno: . She has always managed the gun, alright. However I order a extra power recoil spring from Wolf and it made a big difference for her recoil wise, for the better. She has also recently bought a XDs but being a 1911 girl at heart she hasn't completely warmed up to it. Oh and if it were me and had the cash. I'd go for the dan wesson ECO. Something like 10,000 rounds between recoil spring changes! Hell of a lot better then the 500 or so most compact 1911's need.

sawgrass
08-23-2012, 16:50
My wife carries a Kimber ultra carry. She is 5'3 and scuff's at any other caliber then a .45:dunno: . She has always managed the gun, alright. However I order a extra power recoil spring from Wolf and it made a big difference for her recoil wise, for the better. She has also recently bought a XDs but being a 1911 girl at heart she hasn't completely warmed up to it. Oh and if it were me and had the cash. I'd go for the dan wesson ECO. Something like 10,000 rounds between recoil spring changes! Hell of a lot better then the 500 or so most compact 1911's need.

Your wife and I would have a very fun 'girls day at the range'. .45ACP is my absolute favorite!

I don't have any problems with recoil with the 3" Defender so I'm not overly concerned about recoil with a steel framed 4 1/4" gun. I just want something a little nicer and smoother for a new carry gun.

fasteddie565
08-25-2012, 22:14
My Kimber Ultra Super Carry has about 3000 rds, MIM parts and runs like a scalded ape humping a singer sewing machine.

Read, Runs Great

fasteddie565
08-25-2012, 22:15
Your wife and I would have a very fun 'girls day at the range'. .45ACP is my absolute favorite!

I don't have any problems with recoil with the 3" Defender so I'm not overly concerned about recoil with a steel framed 4 1/4" gun. I just want something a little nicer and smoother for a new carry gun.

I get the nicer, but what do you mean by smoother? I am genuinely curious????

faawrenchbndr
08-26-2012, 05:13

I am looking at getting my Springfield Compact 45 back from
Chuck Rogers in a few weeks. I think one of these would suit
your needs well. LW frame, ramped barrel, short trigger, 4"
barrel.

faawrenchbndr
08-26-2012, 05:16
I haven't looked at a Colt. I've been reading a lot about Guncrafter Industries No Name. I'm trying to find someone local to shoot a CCO before I order anything. The price point on a Stinger from CJ is $1200 LESS than a GC CCO that I saw NIB for sale yesterday online. That's a big price difference. Does anyone have any opinions why it is SO different, and what makes it worth it?

The GI No Name is the best deal in a semi custom 1911 going!
After getting my GI, I have no more desire for a Baer, Brown, NH or Wilson.

CDR_Glock
08-26-2012, 07:14

I showed my Guncrafter to my gunsmith yesterday. He was extremely impressed and said it was the best built 1911 he's ever handled. Everything in it is precisely fitted to perfection. I have an Ed Brown Special Forces and both are great 1911s.

Nakanokalronin
08-26-2012, 08:43
I have had two Kimber Ultra Carry IIs and one RIA Compact with zero issues. Currently I'm awaiting the arrival and reviews of the Dan Wesson ECO. If it's like a little Valor, I'll be all over it in a heartbeat. I'm 6' 3" and don't like carrying a full size 1911 unless it's OWB.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-eco/

ETA: Never mind, they're already out but I'm still waiting on enough reviews.

sawgrass
08-26-2012, 19:29
I get the nicer, but what do you mean by smoother? I am genuinely curious????

Trigger like butttah...and less recoil.

I am looking at getting my Springfield Compact 45 back from
Chuck Rogers in a few weeks. I think one of these would suit
your needs well. LW frame, ramped barrel, short trigger, 4"
barrel.

Looking forward to pics.

I'm hearing you. Reading a lot. The pics from that Tennessee dealer are nearly killing me.:wow:

rokay
08-28-2012, 11:48
Search for a cylinder and slide adventurer. I found one about 2 years ago. It's been perfectly reliable and i forget i have it on half the time.