Herter's revolver - Ever hear of it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Herter's revolver - Ever hear of it?

bac1023
08-16-2012, 20:57
I was browsing a local shop earlier today and came across one of these German SA revolvers. Before this, I had heard of them, but never saw one. Its design is based on the Blackhawk and it feels like a good quality, heavy duty firearm.

Its chambered in 401 Powermag and even comes with a box of ammo (or most of a box) and selling for $500, I believe. There's one on GB in 357mag selling for about $400.

I was just curious if anyone owns one or has an impression or opinion of them. I know they made rifles as well, but this is the first Herter's revolver I'd ever seen in person.

I googled the revolver and the cartridge and found this interting article from 2011...

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/12652/herters-401-powermag/

Thoughts?

Thanks

Shark1007
08-16-2012, 21:25
That was the first pistol I lusted after when I was a kid. I fondled one in the lgs and it seemed rock solid. I recall staring at a mail order advertisement till the print almost faded off the page. Never shot one, but the feel and heft was equal to Ruger in the day.

As I recall, it was a fifty buck pistol. We had a 65 Buick Wildcat with a 401 c.i. engine and I remember thinking how cool the pistol would be because of the unusual caliber. That was in the day where we bought surplus Mausers, Italian Carcano's and such sticking out of a garbage can display at J.M. Fields dept. store for $7.99 each. No serial numbers matched and I was told the weapons were shipped here as scrap and reassembled.

Buy it!

bac1023
08-16-2012, 21:33
Buy it!
I may. I like the interesting stuff.

I doubt I'll pay $500 though. They're going to have to come down $50 to $100. I'll see how long it sits around.

dnuggett
08-16-2012, 21:35
Interesting. Of course if you intend to shoot it you will need get a cylinder made for 10mm or .40. That brings the cost up a bit. As a wall hanger and conversation piece it sounds intriguing.

bac1023
08-16-2012, 21:41
Interesting. Of course if you intend to shoot it you will need get a cylinder made for 10mm or .40. That brings the cost up a bit. As a wall hanger and conversation piece it sounds intriguing.

True, just not at $500.

dnuggett
08-16-2012, 21:43
True, just not at $500.

Yeah I wouldn't do $500. Not a sound investment- too small of a market down the road.

bac1023
08-16-2012, 21:45
Yeah I wouldn't do $500. Not a sound investment- too small of a market down the road.

I'll wait a while and if its still there (and probably will be), I'll offer $100 less.

Its in real clean shape, but $500 is too much, ammo or not. Its not the kind of gun I'd be willing to overpay for or even buy at a fair price, to be honest. It needs to be a deal.

TxGun
08-16-2012, 23:41
Here's a gunblast article on the cartridge:

http://www.gunblast.com/Fryxell_Herters401.htm

My recollection is that the Herter's single-actions were solid guns, made by Sauer & Sohn (as the article mentions), and well-thought of at the time they were more widely available.

fnfalman
08-17-2012, 00:04
Boise Gun Company had a Sauer .357Mag/9mm single action convertible. I thought about it for a moment and then bought the Ruger Convertible instead.

bac1023
08-17-2012, 01:56
Here's a gunblast article on the cartridge:

http://www.gunblast.com/Fryxell_Herters401.htm

My recollection is that the Herter's single-actions were solid guns, made by Sauer & Sohn (as the article mentions), and well-thought of at the time they were more widely available.

Thanks for the link.

SigFTW
08-17-2012, 07:29
I love SA revolvers but for that price and it being an oddball caliber I'd just get another Ruger.

Your gun shop comes across some strange (but cool) firearms:wow:

bac1023
01-16-2013, 17:46
I'll wait a while and if its still there (and probably will be), I'll offer $100 less.

Well guys, true to my word, the Herters has been at my shop since August at $500. Tonight I offered $100 less and they took it. Its mine. :)

I'm now the owner of a West German Herters 401 Powermag with the box, papers, and a box of Herters 401 Powermag ammo.

The gun was bought new in 1968 and the ammo was no doubt bought at the same time. I assume the ammo should be good to go, even though its five years older than me. I want to shoot this thing. What do you think? :dunno:

I'll post some pics this weekend. It seems like a very well built 3 screw SA revolver. Its not quite as pretty as an old Blackhawk, but feels just as solid. Its actually as big as a Super Blackhawk, so that would be the better comparison.

Man, I find some weird stuff... ;)

fnfalman
01-16-2013, 18:02
If the primers and case mouth weren't sealed like the way military ammo are sealed, you may have a box of ammo that are all duds. Try to shoot it and see. If it doesn't go bang then you just have a cool safe queen.

bac1023
01-16-2013, 18:29
If the primers and case mouth weren't sealed like the way military ammo are sealed, you may have a box of ammo that are all duds. Try to shoot it and see. If it doesn't go bang then you just have a cool safe queen.

Exactly my plan, fnfalman :cool:

Of course, once the ammo is gone, I'll have a cool safe queen either way. ;)

bac1023
01-16-2013, 18:31
This guy is dreaming. Here's the same thing I just bought for just over $400 OTD.

He wants double that. :faint:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=326202175

RJ's Guns
01-16-2013, 21:04

Its in real clean shape, but $500 is too much, ammo or not. Its not the kind of gun I'd be willing to overpay for or even buy at a fair price, to be honest. It needs to be a deal.

Brian

I am to the point that almost everything has to be a great deal or I will just pass and that is especially true for firearms. I do not need anything and there is nothing that I really want, so it has to be an offer that I cannot refuse to get me motivated enough to purchase anything.

RJ

janice6
01-16-2013, 21:09
Not sure which is more appealing. The Herters name (from my area) or the firearm.

Get both for nostalgia. (Agree $500 is a bit much for nostalgia)

Not readily available is not synonymous with collectible.

bac1023
01-16-2013, 21:10
Not sure which is more appealing. The Herters name (from my area) or the firearm.

Get both for nostalgia. (Agree $500 is a bit much for nostalgia)

I got them down $100 Janice. :supergrin:

countrygun
01-16-2013, 21:13
It was a ground breaking gun in many ways. If you look at the time it was made and think bout a "wildcat" round in factory revolver, not a 'new' round from an established company with the ammo manufacturers backing it, it was amazing. I remember seeing on when I was a kid it was at the "huge" gunshop Dad would take me to as a treat on rainy day.It was used with the box and all. He almost bought it as I recall because he liked "unique' guns more than "popular" ones. I think, had there been at least a couple of boxes of ammo on the shelf he would have bought it.

bac1023
01-16-2013, 21:21
Not readily available is not synonymous with collectible.

Well said, Janice

You should send that message to the clown trying to sell his for $850 on GB. :rofl: