Ruger SR9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR9

40frank
08-16-2012, 22:19
Lately I have been getting into Ruger handguns. (I bought a SP101 & a LCR) I think I am going to give the SR9 a chance. They are only $399 and I have not heard anything bad from the people I know who own one. I went to my local gun shop to handle one today and was pretty impressed. It felt great, the price is right, and surprisingly, (I say surprisingly because of all the negative threads I read about the trigger), the trigger was fantastic. I am going to go back this weekend and buy it...I think. Curious to hear other people's experience.

bac1023
08-16-2012, 22:37
I don't care for the trigger, but to each their own.

It's a solid pistol otherwise.

rilkil23
08-16-2012, 22:37
Had and loved my SR9. Three thousand trouble free rounds, only issue is mine had the round magazine release button and it was kinda hit or miss. New version has a D shaped button and seem to be better. Only sold it to buy my first Glock, I still have a SR9c.

fnfalman
08-16-2012, 23:13
Is it me or it looks like a KelTec?

Aiden
08-16-2012, 23:19
It's a nice little shooter. A buddy of mine got one for dirt cheap in brand new condition from an uncle, and we shot the hell out of it. No problems.

Maybe it's all the time I spent dryfiring a Glock, but I found the trigger to be not terrible. Not amazing, but not difficult to get used to.

Apetrulis01
08-17-2012, 01:35
Ghost products now makes a ghost connector for the SR9, suppose to help the trigger out A LOT.

Adam

NeverMore1701
08-17-2012, 01:37
I find the trigger on my PF9 to be better.

CBennett
08-17-2012, 06:49
Got one of the best plastic gun triggers around(name me one better) and my SR9c(I dont have a SR9 but DO have a SR9c) is VERY accurate and reliable through around 1650 rounds or so now.

You do have to watch though..some people who dont like the trigger may have gotten a earlier one when they first came out they were bad triggers no doubt. But since the SR9c came out they changed the trigger and now both the SR9 and SR9c's that have come out since the SR9c has been out have excellent triggers.

So you really have to watch and then get a NEW one and feel and decide on your own and think about trigger comments because the NEW one is very nice. the old one needs work or replacement with the ghost unit(you can NOT retrofit a new trigger into a older SR9)

40frank
08-17-2012, 06:57
Got one of the best plastic gun triggers around(name me one better) and my SR9c(I dont have a SR9 but DO have a SR9c) is VERY accurate and reliable through around 1650 rounds or so now.

You do have to watch though..some people who dont like the trigger may have gotten a earlier one when they first came out they were bad triggers no doubt. But since the SR9c came out they changed the trigger and now both the SR9 and SR9c's that have come out since the SR9c has been out have excellent triggers.

So you really have to watch and then get a NEW one and feel and decide on your own and think about trigger comments because the NEW one is very nice. the old one needs work or replacement with the ghost unit(you can NOT retrofit a new trigger into a older SR9)

Thanks for the heads up. This is one of the newer ones. When I was looking at it, I compared it to an SR9c he had and the triggers were identical. I made up my mind; I am going today to buy it.

M2 Carbine
08-17-2012, 07:13
I happened to be at the local gun store when a SR9C was delivered. The trigger actually was what sold me on the gun.
Best I understand is the early SR9's trigger stank but apparently Ruger corrected the problem.

After putting MANY rounds through the gun I liked it so well I bought a second one and installed a Crimson Trace laser. Then I bought the SR40C.

It's interesting, that I loaned my Crimson Trace laser equipped SR9C to a a lady to shoot in one of those live fire LEO simulators. The lady hasn't been shooting long but maxed the simulator shooting 7 bad guys without her being hit once. The simulator operator said no one had done that before.

Tomorrow another lady shooter will be shooting my SR9/40C to see if se wants one for concealed carry.

IMO the SR9 (C) is one of the best guns of it's type out there.

M2 Carbine
08-17-2012, 07:20
Oh yeah. If you don't like magazine disconnecters, (I hate them) it's very easy to remove by removing the firing pin.

Dawolf
08-17-2012, 07:29
I have shot my friend's and it was after he put about 200 rounds thru it. The trigger seemed ok, but he said it was just starting to loosen up. Pretty accurate. He has the C model and I liked it with the short mag.

CBennett
08-17-2012, 15:38
I happened to be at the local gun store when a SR9C was delivered. The trigger actually was what sold me on the gun.

IMO the SR9 (C) is one of the best guns of it's type out there.

Lol same exact thing happened with me. I went into the gun store..I remember it was the year they had released the SR9c in February it was either on or very near Valentines day. I looked through their display case and didnt see anything(the regular old SR9 but not the "C". Some places didnt even know the gun existed(gander mountain and another local gun store just did the I dont know what your tlking about when i asked them about the SR9c) so I asked if they had heard of the SR9c coming out and if they would get it..

The lady said hold on i think we MAY have just gotten some in. when id first walked into the store I met the UPS guy on his way out of the store...she got out a unopened box checked it VS her list and then opened the box it had 4 SR9c's in it 2 black,2 stainless.. i checked them out really liked them..I had to wait till they got them even checked into their inventory to be able to get it lol..but I got the first one that store even unboxed :).

CBennett
08-17-2012, 15:39
Oh yeah. If you don't like magazine disconnecters, (I hate them) it's very easy to remove by removing the firing pin.

yup you can gp from having it in, stripping the gun to get it out and have it back together in under 1 minute...VERY easy.

Nestor
08-17-2012, 17:39
Lately I have been getting into Ruger handguns. (I bought a SP101 & a LCR) I think I am going to give the SR9 a chance. They are only $399 and I have not heard anything bad from the people I know who own one. I went to my local gun shop to handle one today and was pretty impressed. It felt great, the price is right, and surprisingly, (I say surprisingly because of all the negative threads I read about the trigger), the trigger was fantastic. I am going to go back this weekend and buy it...I think. Curious to hear other people's experience.

Hi there,
in May I started testing one of the newer SR9 pistols.
Currently my testing is on hold, as I'm super busy with some other stuff, but I'm planning to continue on soon.
Here are some of my findings (so far):

www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418805&highlight=365+days

40frank
08-17-2012, 19:05
Hi there,
Currently my testing is on hold, as I'm super busy with some other stuff, but I'm planning to continue on soon.

www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418805&highlight=365+days (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418805&highlight=365+days)

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Comedian
08-17-2012, 19:14
Hi there,

www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418805&highlight=365+days

I was wondering what happened to your thread.

Raven1967
08-17-2012, 19:17
Its a good gun,mine has had several thousands rounds through it as well without any issues.

Nestor
08-17-2012, 19:43
I was wondering what happened to your thread.

I still have the pistol and going to share my findings with You.
Life turned super busy over the last two months for my family, so any range time I was able to have (just two, short trips) was dedicated to my carry gun instead.
Sorry about that.

FTjoe
08-18-2012, 07:18

how can i tell the difference between the old and new SR9? is it just the "D" shaped mag release, or focus on a certain serial number and after? or maybe born on date?

Nestor
08-18-2012, 08:18
how can i tell the difference between the old and new SR9? is it just the "D" shaped mag release, or focus on a certain serial number and after? or maybe born on date?

D shape magazine release is the best indicator on the full size pistol. If it's D shaped than You have a good trigger in the package, if it's oval than not so much.

CBennett
08-18-2012, 09:01

Honestly I dont know...:dunno:

I can tell though just by picking one up..if it has a hard almost S&W sigma like trigger its the older one..if its got around a 5-5.5 pound trigger with a decent break for a striker fired gun its the new one. Im SURE if you could research the serial # and cross reference that you could find out also.

Comedian
08-18-2012, 15:51
I still have the pistol and going to share my findings with You.
Life turned super busy over the last two months for my family, so any range time I was able to have (just two, short trips) was dedicated to my carry gun instead.
Sorry about that.

No problem. I am curious to see how your SR9 will hold up over time.

Gary1911A1
08-19-2012, 08:28
Isn't there someone on this forum doing a year long test of the SR9? I'll check and see if I can find it. Here it is: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418805&highlight=ruger+SR9

I see he's already posted on this thread.