Who should get the dog? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who should get the dog?

okie
08-17-2012, 12:05
This guy is hiking in the Colorado mountains with his dog, the dogs paws get jacked up and the guy leaves the dog to die. Several people go looking for the dog and find it and now the owner of the dog wants it back. I think the people that rescued the dog should get it:dog:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/08/custody-fight-looms-over-injured-dog-left-on-colorado-peak/1#.UC6GHN0iaSo

RDW
08-17-2012, 12:16
ANYONE who wants a "BEST FRIEND," and takes care of it PROPERLY!

Brucev
08-17-2012, 12:22
The owner. Emotion, etc. is irrelevant.

Fishawk
08-17-2012, 13:06
He should not get the dog back . They should take him to the top and cut his feet and walk off and leave him the dirt bag.

okie
08-17-2012, 13:15

He left the dog to die though, I don't think he should get it back:supergrin:

SC Tiger
08-17-2012, 13:55
This guy is hiking in the Colorado mountains with his dog, the dogs paws get jacked up and the guy leaves the dog to die. Several people go looking for the dog and find it and now the owner of the dog wants it back. I think the people that rescued the dog should get it:dog:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/08/custody-fight-looms-over-injured-dog-left-on-colorado-peak/1#.UC6GHN0iaSo

It sounds like he could not bring the dog down (and she couldn't walk down due to injuries) and wanted the local Search and Rescue to get the dog but weather prevented it. Point being I don't think he meant to just say "F you dog" and leave it to die.

On the other hand, in 8 days I believe I could have figured out a way to get up there to get the dog. I sure would not have slept until I did.

Personally, if I come down the dog is coming with me one way or the other. Of course I'm a stubborn SOB who loves animals more than most people.

I don't think he should get the dog back. Hopefully if he does she will bite him in the wedding vegetables.

aquanomics
08-17-2012, 13:58
Years ago, my GoldDog's paws iced up badly. After she failed I chewed the ice off her paws so we could get back ti the car. We were not at 14,000 feet, but we were "out there" a ways.

Ragnar
08-17-2012, 15:01

They should leave the loser in the mountains for a few days. Maybe he'll get lucky like the dog and someone will rescue him. :steamed:

I'd fine his ass for abandoning the dog and let one of the rescuers take the dog.

Ragnar
08-17-2012, 15:01

Yes, an animal abuser should get his dog back. :upeyes:

cyphertext
08-17-2012, 15:34
It sounds like he could not bring the dog down (and she couldn't walk down due to injuries) and wanted the local Search and Rescue to get the dog but weather prevented it. Point being I don't think he meant to just say "F you dog" and leave it to die.

I don't think he left her to be hateful, or meant to be abusive. She was injured and he had to come down due to weather and couldn't bring her down himself. The authorities said a rescue was too risky. Another hiker saw the dog and he also could not bring her down.

I think he should get his dog back, but he owes for the vet bills and for the rescue.

Jack_Pine
08-17-2012, 15:37
The rescuers should keep the dog, no question. The original owner has no business owning a pet, in my world. If the "rescuers" organized after hearing the story, he could have done the same.

jakebrake
08-17-2012, 15:38
ANYONE who wants a "BEST FRIEND," and takes care of it PROPERLY!

a- blanking- men!

Buki192327
08-17-2012, 15:43
okie, you should get the dog!!:supergrin:

Fishawk
08-17-2012, 15:49
I don't think he left her to be hateful, or meant to be abusive. She was injured and he had to come down due to weather and couldn't bring her down himself. The authorities said a rescue was too risky. Another hiker saw the dog and he also could not bring her down.
I think he should get his dog back, but he owes for the vet bills and for the rescue.

No he left the dog his buddy on purpose and had no thought to go back for him.
If my dog was hurt i would not leave him there it might mean that i would have to stay over night to protect the dog

I doubt if the dog would have let that idiot if he were hurt.

skinny99
08-17-2012, 15:55
Not the original owner. Even if he had to leave the dog, he should have been the first one up there getting his dog. Not waiting for strangers to go get it for him. That dog is your responsibility. Like being a parent, not everyone is qualified.

However I would not put the dog's life ahead of mine. In a life or death situation, it is still an animal, no matter how much you may care for it.

Jack_Pine
08-17-2012, 15:59
"I doubt if the dog would have let that idiot if he were hurt."

Well said.

NMG26
08-17-2012, 16:00
The dog should choose.

cyphertext
08-17-2012, 16:13
No he left the dog his buddy on purpose and had no thought to go back for him.
If my dog was hurt i would not leave him there it might mean that i would have to stay over night to protect the dog

I doubt if the dog would have let that idiot if he were hurt.

That is the part I question...why wasn't he back up there when the weather cleared.

I can understand that weather came in and he was not prepared to stay on the mountain. If he didn't have food, water, and shelter and no ability to find these things, he had no choice to come down. His own life must be put ahead of the dog. My dog weighs 100 pounds and I would not be able to bring him down on my own if he was injured, but I would have been leading the charge to get him back.

Ragnar
08-17-2012, 16:29

On the other hand, in 8 days I believe I could have figured out a way to get up there to get the dog. I sure would not have slept until I did.

Personally, if I come down the dog is coming with me one way or the other. Of course I'm a stubborn SOB who loves animals more than most people.

I don't think he should get the dog back. Hopefully if he does she will bite him in the wedding vegetables.

And yet the owner couldn't be bothered to go with the volunteer rescue team when the time came. Some owner.

Ragnar
08-17-2012, 16:30
The rescuers should keep the dog, no question. The original owner has no business owning a pet, in my world. If the "rescuers" organized after hearing the story, he could have done the same.

Exactly. He should have been the guy organizing a rescue. And it speaks volumes that he wasn't in the group that went to get her.

HollowHead
08-17-2012, 16:32
He broke hiking with dogs rule number one: never hike with a dog you can't carry all the way back. HH

cyphertext
08-17-2012, 16:39
He broke hiking with dogs rule number one: never hike with a dog you can't carry all the way back. HH

Don't believe I have ever seen this rule...if it were a real rule, it kinda leaves out most of the working class breeds.

Guess we should all own Chihuahuas.

Ragnar
08-17-2012, 16:41

He also broke the "if the weather goes crappy while you're hiking on a 14k ft mountain you should have shelter, food and water" rule.

2bgop
08-17-2012, 16:46
What a jackass.

Jeff82
08-17-2012, 16:48
He gave up ownership when he abandoned the dog on the mountain and didn't go back to get her.

cyphertext
08-17-2012, 16:49
He also broke the "if the weather goes crappy while you're hiking on a 14k ft mountain you should have shelter, food and water" rule.

That's the biggest rule...should have been prepared for weather to change. Should have had booties for his dog, if the dog is not accustomed to long hikes and that terrain. He demonstrated a lot of stupidity before even leaving the dog.

But should he lose his dog just because he is stupid?

RonS
08-17-2012, 16:53
Did he leave it and forget it or leave it because he couldn't carry it and came back with help? Did he have a cell phone and could have called someone to help? How long before he told anyone? What did he say to the people who went to look for the dog?

HollowHead
08-17-2012, 16:56
Don't believe I have ever seen this rule...if it were a real rule, it kinda leaves out most of the working class breeds.

I was speaking metaphorically. You plan for a dog injury...this guy didn't. HH

nmk
08-17-2012, 17:00

This may be my favorite post I've ever read on GT.

Ragnar
08-17-2012, 17:00
That's the biggest rule...should have been prepared for weather to change. Should have had booties for his dog, if the dog is not accustomed to long hikes and that terrain. He demonstrated a lot of stupidity before even leaving the dog.

But should he lose his dog just because he is stupid?

Try this thought experiment.

Guy leaves his dog in his back yard for 8 days without food or water and makes no attempt to feed the dog. Next door neighbor sees dog and rescues it.

Should the the owner get to keep the dog?

cyphertext
08-17-2012, 17:06
Try this thought experiment.

Guy leaves his dog in his back yard for 8 days without food or water and makes no attempt to feed the dog. Next door neighbor sees dog and rescues it.

Should the the owner get to keep the dog?

Totally different scenario. That would be animal cruelty. This situation, the guy was stupid and did not prepare properly for the hike...probably had no business going up the 14k, but he did not intend to abandon or mistreat the dog. He simply got in over his head and lost control of the situation.

I agree that he should have been leading the charge to rescue the dog, but I am also assuming that he is local to the area. I don't know the whole situation.

Calico Jack
08-17-2012, 17:55
We both come down or neither one of us comes down.

-Pirate

okie
08-17-2012, 17:57
okie, you should get the dog!!:supergrin:

That would be way kool, but I can't have pets where I live:crying:

okie
08-17-2012, 17:59
He gave up ownership when he abandoned the dog on the mountain and didn't go back to get her.

That's kinda what I'm thinkin my friend:supergrin: