I'm so upset, don't know what to do...Marine Vet needs help. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm so upset, don't know what to do...Marine Vet needs help.

Detectorist
08-17-2012, 17:37
My neighbor is a disabled Vietnam Marine Vet. He is 70 and not good with money. He is overpaying for 1 room in a run down trailer. At the beginning of the month, his landlord, whom I know, made the Vet give him $400. rent, and extra money for utilities. The Vet thought utilities were included. It appears that the landlord isn't working so he needed the money.

What the landlord did was make my friend pay an extra $150. cash and all of his food stamps for utilities. The poor guy only receives $635 a month in disability and SS. So he was left with only $85 for the whole month.

Well, it turns out that he's out of money and food. Unfortunately, I'm flat broke right now so I can't help the guy.

On Monday I will file a complaint with DFS for elderly abuse. The landlord is a 'tough guy' so I know he will get belligerent with me. No matter.

Is there a way anyone here can help him with a few bucks? Message me and i will give you his name and address.

This is insane.

ray9898
08-17-2012, 18:25
Hmmm....I must ask. How does a 70yo only receive $635 in military disability and SS?

jame
08-17-2012, 18:30
Call the VA, or go see a local long term care facility. They can guide you to the places to find help.

Detectorist
08-17-2012, 18:31
Hmmm....I must ask. How does a 70yo only receive $635 in military disability and SS?

He get like $5xx.00 in disability and maybe $80. SS

Since he is disabled he didn't work a lot. He should probably get something for mental issues. I'm going to look into it further this coming week.

Annoyedgrunt
08-17-2012, 18:32
Good luck. This is Glocktalk, you know. According to more than a few on here, he is a thief and a moocher for being on social security, and should have saved up enough to last him the rest of his life, so now he can lie in the bed he made.

frank4570
08-17-2012, 18:38
Do you do paypal john?

Detectorist
08-17-2012, 18:41
Good luck. This is Glocktalk, you know. According to more than a few on here, he is a thief and a moocher for being on social security, and should have saved up enough to last him the rest of his life, so now he can lie in the bed he made.

Unfortunately, Ron wasn't born very smart. His Dad was a Marine on Guadalcanal in WW2. He was captured by the Japanese and subsequently murdered. I think his grandfather was a Marine, too.

When Ron returned from VietNam, he found his wife 3 months pregnant by another man.

Ron has a great memory but he just can't figure stuff out. He was drafted and being a little guy, was made a 'Tunnel Rat'. He spent 4 years in the Corps.

Someone told him to cancel Medicare so He can receive more cash every month. So I don't know what the deal is but I'm going to find out. Wish I had some money to buy him some food. Maybe Monday.

DaneA
08-17-2012, 18:44
Before you go raising cane with his current living situation do you have somewhere he can go? Going to DFS, VA, etc will get him out of his current place but may not get him into a new one.

Detectorist
08-17-2012, 18:45
Before you go raising cane with his current living situation do you have somewhere he can go? Going to DFS, VA, etc will get him out of his current place but may not get him into a new one.

I am going to look into that also. I don't think his landlord will throw him out and lose $400/mo on a room worth $200/mo.

DaneA
08-17-2012, 18:47
I am going to look into that also. I don't think his landlord will throw him out and lose $400/mo on a room worth $200/mo.
Hot heads do stupid things. And it doesn't sound like he needs to be there anyway. Does he have any family?

Detectorist
08-17-2012, 18:51
Hot heads do stupid things. And it doesn't sound like he needs to be there anyway. Does he have any family?

No family, no phone, no transportation.

3MagDep
08-17-2012, 19:00
Try to find a local Marine Corps League and talk to the commander. Or VFW or Am Vets someone in these organizationsd should have a lead on how to immediately help

Arquebus12
08-17-2012, 19:20
Try to find a local Marine Corps League and talk to the commander. Or VFW or Am Vets someone in these organizationsd should have a lead on how to immediately help

Quoted for emphasis, with a double hit for the VA.

With respect, I would also suggest that you come up with some form of documentation or something you can post to lend integrity to your story. I just sent off $10 to another Marine who's house burned down, and while I believe in brotherhood, I verified as much as I could before I went over to PayPal. Even then, I just threw $10 into the dark with nothing more than my sincere hope that it A: Is a legitimate boost for another Marine, and B: Gets to him.

I'm not casting aspersions, and I'm grateful that you have this guy's best interests in mind, but you haven't made me open my wallet yet.

Detectorist
08-17-2012, 19:27

That's a good idea.

Detectorist
08-17-2012, 19:28
Quoted for emphasis, with a double hit for the VA.

With respect, I would also suggest that you come up with some form of documentation or something you can post to lend integrity to your story. I just sent off $10 to another Marine who's house burned down, and while I believe in brotherhood, I verified as much as I could before I went over to PayPal. Even then, I just threw $10 into the dark with nothing more than my sincere hope that it A: Is a legitimate boost for another Marine, and B: Gets to him.

I'm not casting aspersions, and I'm grateful that you have this guy's best interests in mind, but you haven't made me open my wallet yet.

How can I prove a negative?

Regarding a house fire, that is sure to be in all the local papers.

Arquebus12
08-17-2012, 19:31
Sorry, that's up to you. I appreciate your concern, though.

50 Cent
08-17-2012, 19:33

Ditto...VFW seem to be on the ball for cases like this.

Detectorist
08-17-2012, 21:43
Went to the local gas station/food store. The manager made a huge roast beef sandwich for Ron. He was happy.

Tomorrow I'm cooking my specialty.... spaghetti w/meatballs. So he'll have plenty to eat this weekend.

2bgop
08-17-2012, 22:26
What county are you in? I may be able to help with DHSS.

GRIMLET
08-17-2012, 22:36

Marine Corps League
I suggest this also. Marines stick together. Heck, some younger Marine may pay a house visit also and square the housing situation away properly.

youngdocglock
08-17-2012, 22:38
i wonder if the landlord knows that taking the Vets foodstamps as rent is a felony level of State funds fraud??????? may want to make him aware of that. At least the old boy will get to keep his food. If not report the landlord to DHHS. He will never try that again, and evicting the tenant or any retaliation afterwards could land him jail time. Just sayin...

youngdocglock
08-17-2012, 22:39
Marine Corps League
I suggest this also. Marines stick together. Heck, some younger Marine may pay a house visit also and square the housing situation away properly.

If i lived in the area sir..........i would have been there 15 minutes ago. This is appalling. No one should treat a vet this way. Period. Im a vet myself and this makes me sick.

Detectorist
08-17-2012, 22:50
What county are you in? I may be able to help with DHSS.

Franklin.

Do you work for the Government in any capacity?

My landlord is friends with Ron's landlord. If I rat him out, I may have to move, too. And at this point I have no where to go...

youngdocglock
08-17-2012, 22:52
Franklin.

My landlord is friends with Ron's landlord. If I rat him out, I may have to move, too. And at this point I have no where to go...

Make an anonymous call to DHHS...from a payphone. Tell them you believe there is a form of elder abuse going on at the residence, give them your vet buddies name and tell them the LL is forcing him to give them his state food stamps as rent.

Your clear. Landlord gets nailed.

Detectorist
08-21-2012, 16:23
Well, it's done.

I filed an 'Elderly Abuse' complaint with DFS. The poor guy doesn't have any food. They are also going to work with him to find somewhere else to live.

I hope his landlord goes to jail.

There's still time for folks on here to help. So far, no one has stepped up to the plate. This guy is in worse shape than anyone I've known on here. He has no phone, no transportation, no family. PM me and I'll give you his address.

3MagDep
08-21-2012, 16:38
Anything the state department of veteran affairs can do to help??

Hope the landlord burns in hell for taking advantage of this veteran

Semper Fi fr a Former marine

Detectorist
08-21-2012, 16:40
Anything the state department of veteran affairs can do to help??

Hope the landlord burns in hell for taking advantage of this veteran

Semper Fi fr a Former marine

I've left messages but no call back.

Adjuster
08-21-2012, 16:54
I am not downgrading your friends situation as it does sound terrible but I am also not sure how the landlord can be charged with 'elderly abuse'. The landlord can ask whatever rent he wants for his spare room. It is the tenants decision to agree and pay or not. I wish I lived nearby, I would take him a big sack of groceries. No Dollar Tree etc stores in your area? $20.00 would buy a months worth of canned and dry goods.

/

Detectorist
08-21-2012, 18:06
Well that was quick.

Just saw a Deputy pull up in front of his camper.

Locojmc
08-21-2012, 18:35
Is there a food bank in your area?

frank4570
08-21-2012, 19:55
Any updates?

r3dot
08-21-2012, 20:46
I wish your friend the best of luck.

Snaps
08-21-2012, 22:10
Ditto...VFW seem to be on the ball for cases like this.

^^
This

my dad was the treasurer for the VFW post by them, and I seem to remember them doing things like that for vets who needed help. I'd ask him but htey're on a cruise now. I'm damn near 100% sure though I remember them doing it

youngdocglock
08-21-2012, 22:22
I am not downgrading your friends situation as it does sound terrible but I am also not sure how the landlord can be charged with 'elderly abuse'. The landlord can ask whatever rent he wants for his spare room. It is the tenants decision to agree and pay or not. I wish I lived nearby, I would take him a big sack of groceries. No Dollar Tree etc stores in your area? $20.00 would buy a months worth of canned and dry goods.

/

The landlord can ask whatever he wants in a form of cash, goods or services rendered. However requiring state issued food stamps as part of rent is a felony under the "theft by fraudulent deception and receiving state benefits by blackmail" clause. Its kind of like a person on SS being sued, the court can rule in favor of the person suing but they CAN NOT touch the person SS or garnish it to do so. Forcing a tenant to pay rent with food supplement income is highly illegal and carries very firm fines and possible jail time. I only know this because my mother was a MSHA-HUD certified service coordinator for 15 years for Section-8 and low income housing rentals.

The landlord in this case is for a better term..........sodomized in this case.

2bgop
08-22-2012, 18:42
Franklin.

No I don't, but I have plenty of friends in Jeff City.

What is the status of everything? Taking payments in the form of "food stamps" is a very serious deal.

Detectorist
08-24-2012, 09:14
Karma is a beech.

I just overheard the landlord say something about the cops calling him about charges..... :cool:

The landlord seemed pretty upset. :crying:

I was able to buy the Vet some food. let's see what happens today. He actually was visited by Social Services 2 days ago.

frank4570
08-24-2012, 10:43
Did you get that other thing straightened out?

youngdocglock
08-24-2012, 11:03
Karma is a beech.

I just overheard the landlord say something about the cops calling him about charges..... :cool:

The landlord seemed pretty upset. :crying:

I was able to buy the Vet some food. let's see what happens today. He actually was visited by Social Services 2 days ago.

^^^^^this

Makes me happy. Landlord is taking it dry now :)

I have made this post on my phone. If I spell like a two year old. Blame Android. Not me :)

Detectorist
08-24-2012, 15:08
Did you get that other thing straightened out?

Yes, but it needs to be verified. Maybe a day or so.

John

Detectorist
08-24-2012, 15:11
^^^^^this

Makes me happy. Landlord is taking it dry now :)

I have made this post on my phone. If I spell like a two year old. Blame Android. Not me :)

The guy sacrificed his health for our country. For someone to take advantage of him is low, very low.

It's a privilege to help him. Heck, I might need help myself, one day.

razageorge
08-24-2012, 16:35
Man, the VA should buy up all the empty homes in Detroit at what, 500 bucks a house!? Give every needy vet a home and a rifle and you'll have the safest neighborhoods around.

A whole neighborhood of "get of my lawn, punk!".

youngdocglock
08-24-2012, 18:30
The guy sacrificed his health for our country. For someone to take advantage of him is low, very low.

It's a privilege to help him. Heck, I might need help myself, one day.

Well as a combat vet myseld. Thank you for stepping up to help him.

frank4570
08-25-2012, 08:58
Man, the VA should buy up all the empty homes in Detroit at what, 500 bucks a house!? Give every needy vet a home and a rifle and you'll have the safest neighborhoods around.

A whole neighborhood of "get of my lawn, punk!".

Dang, that makes a lot of sense. I guess that's why it isn't going to happen.

Detectorist
11-11-2012, 11:28
Here's a compilation of my posts:

" I'm so upset, don't know what to do...Marine Vet needs help.
My neighbor is a disabled Vietnam Marine Vet. He is 70 and not good with money. He is overpaying for 1 room in a run down trailer. At the beginning of the month, his landlord, whom I know, made the Vet give him $400. rent, and extra money for utilities. The Vet thought utilities were included. It appears that the landlord isn't working so he needed the money.

What the landlord did was make my friend pay an extra $150. cash and all of his food stamps for utilities. The poor guy only receives $635 a month in disability and SS. So he was left with only $85 for the whole month.

Well, it turns out that he's out of money and food. Unfortunately, I'm flat broke right now so I can't help the guy.

On Monday I will file a complaint with DFS for elderly abuse. The landlord is a 'tough guy' so I know he will get belligerent with me. No matter.

Is there a way anyone here can help him with a few bucks? Message me and i will give you his name and address.

This is insane.

Unfortunately, Ron wasn't born very smart. His Dad was a Marine on Guadalcanal in WW2. He was captured by the Japanese and subsequently murdered. I think his grandfather was a Marine, too.

When Ron returned from VietNam, he found his wife 3 months pregnant by another man.

Ron has a great memory but he just can't figure stuff out. He was drafted and being a little guy, was made a 'Tunnel Rat'. He spent 4 years in the Corps.

Someone told him to cancel Medicare so He can receive more cash every month. So I don't know what the deal is but I'm going to find out. Wish I had some money to buy him some food. Maybe Monday. "

I'm actually still trying to help him. I'm looking into more affordable housing but most don't accept pets and he doesn't want to get rid of his dog...

It has come to my attention that his landlord has made some veiled threats against me for trying to help my fellow Vet.

The fact is I don't even like the little guy, but he deserves and has earned my respect for serving the way he did.

The saga continues. It appears that the Cops showed up at the landlord's home a few weeks ago and the guy is blaming me. I had nothing to do with it. Oh well. If I stop posting on here you know what happened.