Bought another Case [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bought another Case

hoghunter82
08-17-2012, 19:37
Came home after a long week and decided to pay off the credit card. Felt good for a few minutes, and then i went online and ordered another case of 9mm. I've made my mind up with the price of ammo to just stick with 9mm and accumulate when I can. Price is only going up it seems. Trying to convince the wife that ammo is an investment, but i don't think she buys that excuse. Anyone else out there decide to stick with a primary caliber (except .22) due to cost? Limits the guns you can buy but I think it helps me put other caliber guns out of my mind when I get that itch- as long as I stay true to my 9mm commitment.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

APERS
08-17-2012, 20:21
I did the same thing. Except for an XD45, sold my other 45's. 9mm will work for defense as good anything, with the right ammo of course. & I have 4 adult kids that love to shoot when they get to come home, and they go through alot in a single afternoon. Had to be logistically wise and consolidate calibers,, 9mm is the most cost effective. :supergrin:

beforeobamabans
08-18-2012, 00:46
You may be wise sticking to one if you want to keep that cc manageable. Every time I add a caliber, 10,000 rounds of ammo mysteriously show up on my doorstep.

BTW, I don't "buy" the current ammo scare. I see plenty of availability at my benchmark prices of $300 for .45; $250 for .40 and $200 for 9mm.

cowboy1964
08-18-2012, 01:43
Sounds like you need to get into reloading. About $6 per 50 for 9mm. Yes it takes some time. But I can shoot a lot more so it's worth it.

beforeobamabans
08-21-2012, 05:02
Sounds like you need to get into reloading. About $6 per 50 for 9mm. Yes it takes some time. But I can shoot a lot more so it's worth it.

To some of us, the time is more valuable than the extra money.

hoghunter82
08-21-2012, 05:10
To some of us, the time is more valuable than the extra money.

Trying to reload while raising a house full of kids, working full time on the road, and every spare moment devoted to just trying to keep afloat is not going to happen. Maybe the few years I'll have between retirement and death I will get into reloading. In the meantime, ordering a case via the Internet is my only option.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Kentguy
08-21-2012, 06:04
hoghunter82,

I started out with 9mm have since expanded into many other calibers but still the 9mm is my caliber of choice.

It is cheap to buy off the shelf, great for target or self defense and if (someday) you ever get into reloading - there are tons of load data and components out there which makes it very easy to develop your own.

It sounds like for you staying with just one caliber is the right choice. Buying (or reloading) ammo in large quantities is always a good idea. Just use the proper method for storing your ammo and it will last for decades.

spcwes
08-21-2012, 23:24
Hog what I have done is made a transition to a single type of gun so to say. Not that I only have one type or caliber but the same type of guns in different calibers.

All in all you really can't go wrong with 9mm, 40SW, 45 ACP and 357 sig with quality ammo and weapons. What I am talking about is if I want a 357sig I will have a 9mm in the same exact model of weapon. Same for 40 SW.

So if I need to train or feel like shooting I take a 9mm to the range if money is tight and blast away. Using a Glock 17 for instance is actually training very well for using the Glock 22 or 31. Might not be the exact same recoil or muzzle blast but the basic fundamentals are satisfied with trigger press, sight alignment and drills. This will carry over to the other weapons with the same exact platform just in different calibers.

I do the same with Sigs in the 226 model and 229 model. Also the compact and subcompact glocks.

Always the same advice when folks are talking about switching caliber but love the gun they have. Good luck on the shooting part and ammo is a very good investment and anyone would actually be blind to not see it lol.

tango44
08-22-2012, 21:05
9mm for me, G26.
1911 and G21, Sold!

PghJim
08-23-2012, 06:20
The cost is not an issue for me. I carry the 357 sig, but own three 9mm guns. The reason I have a lot of 9mm guns and ammo is for practice, as mentioned, and if things ever really went bad, I think it would be easier to find 9mm ammo than any other caliber. With today's ammo, like the Underwood 124gr GD +p+, I think the 9mm is an excellent defensive caliber. If the SHTF, guns and ammo are going to be worth more than gold.