Winchester .40 s&w 180gr Bonded JHP Q4369 question.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Winchester .40 s&w 180gr Bonded JHP Q4369 question..

Christopher67
08-17-2012, 22:17
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6329/photo3bf.jpghttp://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1063/photo2hyt.jpg

I bought 4 boxes at my local Cabelas & none of those had the red around the primer, but i picked up a box at my local gun shop and all 50 primers had the red around them. Can someone explain to me what the purpose of the red stuff is for(I think i have an idea lol)? All 5 boxes are Q4369 if that matters, is this decent ammo? Thanks. Chris

dkf
08-17-2012, 22:36
The red stuff is primer sealant. S&B uses it on all their ammo.

What you got there is probably factory overrun and/or ammo that did not quite meet the specs of the contract. I believe the Q ammo is not up to the same quality standard as the regular Ranger line. Hotpig will probably chime in and clear things up.

Christopher67
08-17-2012, 22:56

What you got there is probably factory overrun and/or ammo that did not quite meet the specs of the contract. I believe the Q ammo is not up to the same quality standard as the regular Ranger line. Hotpig will probably chime in and clear things up.

Awesome, thank you.

Christopher67
08-18-2012, 09:29

Sorry, but what is S&B ammo?:dunno:

*Edit* Is it Sellier & Bellot ?

hotpig
08-18-2012, 13:12
Sellier & Bellot is correct.

That particular product is a little off spec compared to the other 180gr versions. That is why it was so cheap. Eventually it will be sold out and gone hopefully fore ever.

Christopher67
08-18-2012, 14:11

That particular product is a little off spec compared to the other 180gr versions. That is why it was so cheap. Eventually it will be sold out and gone hopefully fore ever.

Is it good ammo for self defense or just shooting at the range?

Caine
08-22-2012, 08:28
I have had great experiences with the Q4369. A prominent name in the ballistics world posted on another site that he personally contacted Winchester and was told it was the exact same round as the Q4355 - the only difference was the boxes. I emailed Paul Nowak at Winchester a while back and was told essentially the same thing. I'm sure ammo retailers are not thrilled with it, because there is not as much room for mark up in a cheaper product. From the end user's standpoint, it's a huge bargain.

paragon1
08-22-2012, 14:52

How was it off spec? Velocity, or bullet variations?

jbglock
08-22-2012, 16:06
I've been stocking up on this ammo. Haven't seen it with sealed primers yet. I find it very consistent and accurate in my Glock. The only issue in what I've gotten is about 1 out of every 4 to 5 rounds does not have a clean hollowpoint cavity. Their is actual grit in it. I segregate it for practice use only. Very happy overally for what is a steal price wise.

Christopher67
08-22-2012, 17:39
I shot 200 rounds of this ammo today at the range, not one issue with it at all, going to order another 500 rounds.

9mm +p+
08-22-2012, 18:46
I shot 200 rounds of this ammo today at the range, not one issue with it at all, going to order another 500 rounds.

That's good to hear, just bought my dad 200 rds of this.

Christopher67
08-22-2012, 18:48
That's good to hear, just bought my dad 200 rds of this.

I like it, no complaints here.

jbglock
08-22-2012, 18:53
I take back what I said. Dirty, corrosive, not accurate! (I lie. Just don't want you all amassing it and it run out. It's the only steal in .40 jhp right now.)

9mm +p+
08-22-2012, 20:52
I take back what I said. Dirty, corrosive, not accurate! (I lie. Just don't want you all amassing it and it run out. It's the only steal in .40 jhp right now.)

:rofl: Don't get too worried, getting him to spend $ on ammo is like pulling teeth.

hotpig
08-22-2012, 21:58
How was it off spec? Velocity, or bullet variations?

The dies are worn and Winchester did not want to make new ones since production was moving south anyway.

I had intended on carrying that product just to offer a low cost SHTF or function test ammo. When the guys that actually make the bullet say do not buy it I will listen to them over a sales rep.

I have been a fan of that PDX1 bullet for ten years longer than it was offered for sale. I actually gave up thinking that it would become a regular production item.

cadillacguns
08-23-2012, 02:29
I have had great experiences with the Q4369. A prominent name in the ballistics world posted on another site that he personally contacted Winchester and was told it was the exact same round as the Q4355 - the only difference was the boxes.

Thanks for that answer, I had been asking the same question for a while since SGAmmo.com has been my supplier of it lately.

jbglock
08-23-2012, 13:01
I have had great experiences with the Q4369. A prominent name in the ballistics world posted on another site that he personally contacted Winchester and was told it was the exact same round as the Q4355 - the only difference was the boxes.

Thanks for that answer, I had been asking the same question for a while since SGAmmo.com has been my supplier of it lately.

Thanks for posting about them. I looked and the prices (and especially shipping) seemed very reasonable. I just got another 100 rounds from CTD today and only 1 out of the 100 had any grit in a hollowpoint cavity. I went ahead and ordered an additional 500 round case along with some other stuff I needed from SGAmmo. :)

hotpig
08-23-2012, 15:30
The grit is left over from tumbling. Winchester does that to their Premium stuff before packaging. I get some customers than mistake it as corrosion around the primer.

Caine
08-27-2012, 19:30
Does the fact that Winchester takes the time to tumble the ammo, in the same manner as the Ranger, indicate that some care has put into making it? If the Q4369 is truly just junk, second-rate ammo, would they take the time to visibly seal the primers and tumble the cases? Just curious.

Christopher67
08-27-2012, 19:36
If the Q4369 is truly just junk, second-rate ammo, would they take the time to visibly seal the primers and tumble the cases? Just curious.

Good point, I'll probably pick up some more lol.

hotpig
08-27-2012, 19:42
It is a temporary problem. Dies were wore out, they will be replaced. unskilled labor is just learning, eventually they will get it. The Union plant will continue with shot shell, center fire rifle and some center fire pistol to help meet demand until the MS plant can hold its own. Things will get better, except for the Union guys that will be out of work. Doubt things will get better for them.

mongo356
08-28-2012, 05:11
I have had great experiences with the Q4369. A prominent name in the ballistics world posted on another site that he personally contacted Winchester and was told it was the exact same round as the Q4355 - the only difference was the boxes. I emailed Paul Nowak at Winchester a while back and was told essentially the same thing. I'm sure ammo retailers are not thrilled with it, because there is not as much room for mark up in a cheaper product. From the end user's standpoint, it's a huge bargain.

Found on another forum- unable to confirm or deny- figured I would share it here for the people considering as carry ammo. I have had real good results (accuracy & consistency) with the Ranger brown star label boxes. never tried the white plain boxes.

Winchester recently produced .40 S&W Q4355, 180 grain bonded SERVICE ammunition with issues.

Some of the cartridges were produced without flash hole. This condition completely eliminates the ability of the cartridge to fire. No visible inspection can detect this manufacturing defect. It would only been known at the time that the owner attempted to fire the affected ammunition.

The affected ammunition will have four character "Day Code", two letters, two numbers (i.e., FA42).

All Q4355 with day codes beginning with the letter F and any Q4355 with the two letter combination of EN are included in this recall.

Those numbers are found printed on the inside of the flap on the box of ammunition.

This information is from the feds sent to LE agencies nationwaide.

If you have any of this ammunition, act accordingly.