Ruger SR22, any issues? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR22, any issues?

Cole125
08-17-2012, 22:24
Ruger SR22 owners, I have heard of several issues with the gun and would like to hear some success stories and any positive input about the gun.

Anyone have 10,000+ rounds through the gun, and if so how is it holding up?

Cole125
08-18-2012, 13:21
:bump: Anyone?

bac1023
08-18-2012, 13:49
I hear nothing but good about it.

I have a friend who has one and he loves it.

racer88
08-18-2012, 14:03
So far, so good with mine. I've got somewhere in the range of 750 rounds through it.

ctfireman
08-18-2012, 14:12
I sold mine but only bc i was looking for a long barreled .22. While i had the SR i had no issues at all & would recommend it. Fine little shooter.

hoghunter82
08-18-2012, 14:24
I spent some time reading on the Ruger Forum. Many reports of the takedown tab / slide stop breaking thus making the pistol useless. I guess whatever is in that piece breaks after repetitive high velocity usage. That said, I would not hesitate to purchase one. Far more great reports than there are bad ones. Just be aware of the high velocity ammo issues that may surface. But again, that's from the Ruger Forum and a few YouTube videos. I'm still probably going to get one regardless of the potential issue.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Cole125
08-18-2012, 15:13
I have heard numerous reports of the takedown lever breaking, and that is troubling. I understand there are thousands of SR22s out there, and when someone has a problem they go on the internet to rant and seek help.

I impulse bought a SR22 a few weeks ago without reading any reviews and I am now debating wether or not to sell it because of all the problems I have read.

hoghunter82
08-18-2012, 15:36
I have heard numerous reports of the takedown lever breaking, and that is troubling. I understand there are thousands of SR22s out there, and when someone has a problem they go on the internet to rant and seek help.

I impulse bought a SR22 a few weeks ago without reading any reviews and I am now debating wether or not to sell it because of all the problems I have read.

I would base your feelings on what your own personal experiences are with the firearm and not what others say. If you have not had any issues then don't even worry about it. If u do experience problems then Ruger will absolutely take care of you. Relax and shoot the ***** out of it !!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Beanie-Bean
08-18-2012, 16:00
No problems here...I bought one when they first came out, so mine doesn't even say "SR-22P" on the side.

One thing to check as part of the takedown and cleaning is the hex head screw holding the barrel on. I put some loc-tite blue on mine just to make sure it stays put when I shoot it. There were early reports of those being loose after they left the factory. People shot their SR-22s and got some barrel damage because it was not tightened down fully.

Not sure what size, but one of the allen wrenches from my Dillon press fits it just fine.

I've shot just about every brand of .22LR around, and it really works best with the CCI mini mags. No jams/malfunctions of any kind, and certainly no brass to the face :)

I like to bring mine out with me after I get tired from shooting the centerfire heavy duty stuff, and when practicing drills like shooting while moving, from behind cover, weak hand, etc. The ammo is much cheaper, and the techniques learned apply to the other pistols later on.

M2 Carbine
08-18-2012, 19:21
I have absoutely no trouble with my two.

Don't know if I have 10,000 rounds through either one of them yet but I (and friends) shoot them a LOT.

I have a Crimson Trace laser on one and shoot it in low light/dark 4-5 evenings a week.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerSR22.jpg

A lady shot mine a few days ago and immediately bought one.
Today, at my house, she sighted it in.

Today a couple ladies shot mine a lot, shooting and moving.

Today I loaned one to a lady to shoot with her ladies group Thursday.

If I run across another sale, $299, I'll buy a third one.

farmer-dave
08-18-2012, 19:36
This may be a stupid question, but does the safety work like a 1911 or is it reversed. I thought I read a article saying you had to flip the safety up to take it off, opposite of most handguns. Just wondering if that article was wrong or not.

Beanie-Bean
08-18-2012, 20:04
This may be a stupid question, but does the safety work like a 1911 or is it reversed. I thought I read a article saying you had to flip the safety up to take it off, opposite of most handguns. Just wondering if that article was wrong or not.

It's upside down from a 1911. Up is fire...

Cole125
08-19-2012, 14:08
I have absoutely no trouble with my two.

Don't know if I have 10,000 rounds through either one of them yet but I (and friends) shoot them a LOT

Thanks for the input M2. If you can remember post a report in a month or so when your two SR22s have a lot more rounds through them. Let us know how they are holding up to a high volume of shooting.

Faulkner
08-19-2012, 19:02
Mine has been through four bricks (a couple thousand rounds) without any weapon related issues at all. I've had my kids, my neighbor, the neighber kids, the neighbor's wife and half the deputies at the department shooting mine. Ruger done good on this one.