Columbia, SC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Columbia, SC

Fisherman
08-18-2012, 11:15
The Columbia, SC match is coming up on the 25th and 26th of this month and I'm prospecting for advice. Is it a crowded match, better shot on Sunday, decent parking, etc.? :fishing:

DannyR
08-18-2012, 12:00
1. It will be hot and humid

2. There were 380 entries last year

3. Seems to be the smallest crowds early Sunday morning, but no guarantee--each match is different and unpredictable.

Fisherman
08-18-2012, 13:05
I can handle the weather; I've been a deep south guy all my life. You coming down for this one? :fishing:

Justin1911
08-18-2012, 13:20
I'm going with plans to shoot early Sunday morning despite some poor squading experiences in the past. What can I say, the kids love the zoo there and it's a new year so I'm optimistic I can avoid " the stack" :faint:

As far as the range (if memory serves me) plenty of parking and about 100 yard walk to most of the bays, not much shade or seating other than pop ups the RO's and shooters will be under. So a chair is a good idea. The glock M at bottom of the hill ( 1st stage shooters see) tends to bottle neck and move slower than others.

DannyR
08-18-2012, 13:53
I'll have to pass on Columbia, as I'm saving for my November trip to Reevesville to attend Masaad's 4-day class.

Fisherman
08-18-2012, 13:56
Wish I could join you for Mas's class but I plan to be up in SW VA after trout. :fishing:

Carbonfly
08-18-2012, 15:40
My wife and I will be RO's for Glock the Plates on saturday morning. We plan on shooting Sunday.

SARDG
08-18-2012, 16:15
My wife and I will be RO's for Glock the Plates on saturday morning. We plan on shooting Sunday.
Will we see more video of your wife's shooting? I remember she did quite well at Reevesville. Has she been training for quicker transistions?

Kitty

Carbonfly
08-18-2012, 16:34
Will we see more video of your wife's shooting? I remember she did quite well at Reevesville. Has she been training for quicker transistions?

Kitty

Haha....we picked up a GoPro to record our matches. This is a video of her shooting in her first USPSA match last week. It was pouring rain, muddy, etc. I wish she would have more confidence in herself to take the longer shots because she could go so much faster. Her accuracy is good, but I guess its tough to move fast when you are carry a bowling ball in your stomach and trying not to slip in the mud. Also, this match was her first time ever shooting a Texas star. She had never even heard about it until the match and I think she panicked which didn't help.

http://youtu.be/rqLuYzNVH0Y

mikesull415
08-18-2012, 18:57
I'm a member at mid Carolina but not yet of gssf. I plan on being out there if nothing else just to watch. Anybody know if you can sign up at the event?

bigtimelarry
08-18-2012, 19:03
You can sign up for everything there..

SARDG
08-18-2012, 19:06
I'm a member at mid Carolina but not yet of gssf. I plan on being out there if nothing else just to watch. Anybody know if you can sign up at the event?
You can join GSSF and register to shoot the match, all when you arrive. Bring your Glock, 4 mags, and 150 rounds of ammo and shoot at least one division.

SARDG
08-18-2012, 19:15
Haha....we picked up a GoPro to record our matches. This is a video of her shooting in her first USPSA match last week...

Robyn shooting her fist USPSA Match
Looks like she's transitioning quicker and still has good control of the gun. I also watched the Smoke and Hope.

Has Robyn checked with her doctor about shooting when pregnant. I think there is some generally accepted cutoff for noise exposure to the fetus. Don't know if the affects are all terribly understood yet, but it woud be worth mentioning to the doc.

Carbonfly
08-18-2012, 20:11
Looks like she's transitioning quicker and still has good control of the gun. I also watched the Smoke and Hope.

Has Robyn checked with her doctor about shooting when pregnant. I think there is some generally accepted cutoff for noise exposure to the fetus. Don't know if the affects are all terribly understood yet, but it woud be worth mentioning to the doc.

Yep. It's all good. A baby's ear bones don't ossify until about 38 weeks. Thus it can't hear a thing so there really is no danger of hearing damage. So all that crap about puttng music on for the baby is a bunch of hooplah. LOL. She can shoot as long as she is comfortable. Also lead transfer through skin is negligible and thus is not a concern either.

c.helm
08-19-2012, 17:24
I'm interested in showing up Sunday, what time does it start etc? This will be my first time to one of these events.

thanks

Chris

PS I'm in NE Columbia.

bigtimelarry
08-19-2012, 17:39
Be there at 9:00am Thats when Sign up opens.
Sunday's are always better to shoot because there's a lot
less people there. Saturdays are usually a lot more.

mmurph12
08-20-2012, 18:17
Carbonfly, that's an excellent video. I'd be very interested to know what model GoPro you used and how it was worn.

bigtimelarry
08-20-2012, 18:24
Get the Lid Cam from Rhino Outdoors..

Carbonfly
08-20-2012, 18:58
Carbonfly, that's an excellent video. I'd be very interested to know what model GoPro you used and how it was worn.

I was using a GoPro HD Hero2 with the headstrap mount. It worked really well. It's not too heavy. Plus you can put it in "1 Button Mode". That way when you step up to the line as soon as you turn on the camera it starts recording. Very helpful. It has red LEDs on 4 sides of the camera and gives audible beeps to let you know if it's recording or not. The best part was that it comes in a water proof housing. It was pouring rain during this match so that was definitely needed.

Here is my video.....It's my first USPSA match and I came in 8th out of 16 people in my division.

http://youtu.be/AMdNIh5gdns

Get the Lid Cam from Rhino Outdoors..

The LidCam will get the job done, but it doesn't have near the quality or video editing ability as a GoPro does. Also, I don't know how well it would have worked with all the rain that we had coming down on us. I have a friend that runs a LidCam, It's ok, but he has a difficult time getting it setup. Once you turn it on you have to wait 10 seconds before you can press record. This is a lot of time if you are trying to get things going at the start of a stage with others waiting on you.

Alexd29
08-20-2012, 19:27
looks good for your first match. Your reloads look decent and you also did well on the star.

Its good to get that first match under your belt. I don't like unsolicited advice and i try not to give it but i can't help myself. Try and come up with a definite plan to shoot the COF. Once you have your plan try and rehearse it in your head many times before you shoot the COF.

When shooting production reloads are one the most important things, try and avoid standing reloads if possible they're a real time killer.

There is no substitute for live fire, but dryfire can improve your draws, reloads, and transitions for no cost.

Is the slide and barrel on your 34 hardchromed? It looks really sharp.

Carbonfly
08-20-2012, 19:58
Thanks a bunch. I'm always up for advice. Especially when I'm so new to this sport. I had the first stage planned all wrong. That cost me a lot of time. Also, I've been shooting a lot of IDPA. In IDPA you have to be hiding behind cover while reloading. It's a penalty if you are moving out in the open during a reload. So it's difficult to change my mindset sometimes.

The star was terribly annoying. I have never shot a texas star before. I was mainly glad to finish it before I ran out of ammo.

The slide and barrel were CPII coated by CCR. Great company to do business with. It only cost me about $80 for the coating.

PM720
08-21-2012, 00:14
I guess there is a reason they call it the "Wheel of Death"! :wow: nicely done though for a first time! :supergrin:

Scott