Handloader Magazine - DAyum!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Handloader Magazine - DAyum!!!

Zombie Steve
08-18-2012, 11:38
I picked this up in a grocery store in Montana figuring I still had 12 hours of driving to go...

I liked the mag, but I thought you guys would enjoy a few things from an article on cast bullets in the .44 mag.

First pic - The caption for this photo says "Even after extended shooting with cast bullets, the only sign of leading in this .44 magnum revolver was a thin wash in the forcing cone."

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/44mag2.jpg

I'm guessing he didn't look too closely at this picture. :supergrin:

Next - the author showcases the cast wonders he tested.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/44mag.jpg

If I cast a turd like this 429421, it would go back in the pot. Apparently, the author thought this one was pic worthy.

:pjmn:

Overall, I thought the mag was interesting and may get a subscription, but this article and its photos made me burp up a little stomach acid.

:supergrin:

sellersm
08-18-2012, 12:25
Maybe the author should upgrade his/her eyeglass prescription? Overall I like that magazine, I get the PDF download electronic version.

DoctaGlockta
08-18-2012, 13:17
Ya Jack needs to get int0 Lenscrafters pronto.

Colorado4Wheel
08-18-2012, 13:37
Whiskey says those look great. :thumbsup:

Zombie Steve
08-18-2012, 14:44
Whiskey says those look great. :thumbsup:

Posting from dive bars ain't the way to run the show, Stevie.

Kentguy
08-18-2012, 15:15
Steve,
I had a subscription for this mag for the last 2 years, not going to renew it though. It comes every-other month and on a scale from 1-10 it's about a 6. Most (but not all) articals are kinda vague. pretty good reporting on most rifle caliber/reloads but really weak on pistol calibers.

Like you said, not a bad read and for additional reference info to keep on the shelf - it's not bad.

HAMMERHEAD
08-18-2012, 17:18
It's not as in depth as it used to be. Brian Pearce is about the only writer worth reading now.
I think some of the guys here and over at THR are more knowledgeable.

lvl1trauma
08-18-2012, 19:36
I felt like that was a pretty weak article.

freakshow10mm
08-18-2012, 21:13
What issue is that? I got the August issue off the magazine shelf a week ago and that's not in it.

Zombie Steve
08-18-2012, 22:59
This was June / July. Been on muh terlet for a spell.

freakshow10mm
08-18-2012, 23:04
I missed that one. Got the previous and the August issue.

Was the article by Mike Venturino by chance?

Zombie Steve
08-19-2012, 07:25
John Haviland.

In defense of this publication, just about everything else in this issue was done well and a pleasure to read. I just had to crack up at the lead streaked barrel and the poopcast® boolits.

country85
08-19-2012, 21:20
I've been hunting this issue for months!! I'm jealous just so you know, Heck I went to pick up this months issue and seems this months all stores around here decided not to carry this magazine...:steamed:

freakshow10mm
08-20-2012, 04:21
John Haviland.

In defense of this publication, just about everything else in this issue was done well and a pleasure to read. I just had to crack up at the lead streaked barrel and the poopcast® boolits.
Doesn't ring a bell. Usually Venturino writes about cast bullets, that's why I asked. Handloader and Rifle are the only two mags I can read about guns.

Boxerglocker
08-20-2012, 07:35
I always have a peruse through it while going to the grocery store or B&N. I've bought a couple of issue with articles of interest for my personal needs. There was a great .223 issue last year that had tons of reference data through it and another for .308

DoctaGlockta
08-20-2012, 08:04
John Haviland.

Hey Steve for those of us who may be casting soon or just started can you point out the 'poopcastedness' in those projectiles.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

F106 Fan
08-20-2012, 08:28
I've been hunting this issue for months!! I'm jealous just so you know, Heck I went to pick up this months issue and seems this months all stores around here decided not to carry this magazine...:steamed:

You can order back issues from the web site:
http://www.riflemagazine.com/backissues/index.cfm?type=0

Richard

Zombie Steve
08-20-2012, 08:36
Hey Steve for those of us who may be casting soon or just started can you point out the 'poopcastedness' in those projectiles.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

The wrinkle in the base, the front driving band on the 429421 (Elmer Keith's bullet - blasphemy!) is round... should be like the one second from the left here:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/KYWindage/LeicaPhotos2010/L1000573.jpg

So this guy was having some temp problems with his lead or with his mold, or both. The alloy wasn't the problem here.

If you look at the first bullet (far left) in his pic, it looks like he started pouring, stopped, then started again (wrinkle in the nose).

Not all mine turn out perfect, but if I was going to publish pictures for the world, I'd pick something looking better than those.