Hornady #8...Lil'Gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady #8...Lil'Gun?

hogfish
08-18-2012, 13:00
Hi. Wondering if you could tell me if Hornady #8 has data for their 265gr bullet with Lil'Gun for rifle. My #7 doesn't.

Thanks!

:wavey:

Ooops: .44 Magnum***!!!***

F106 Fan
08-18-2012, 15:36
Hornady 8th Edition does not have the data for your bullet with Lil' Gun.

The burn rate of Lil' Gun seems about right. It's between N110 and H110, both of which are in the manual.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

EDIT:

Speer #14 does have Lil' Gun for their 270 gr GDSP. Min is 17.5 gr and max is 19.5 gr. Of course, it's not the same bullet. I would start somewhere down around 16.0 gr and SLOWLY work up. Maybe even less if I was feeling paranoid (again!).

SECOND EDIT:

For the cost of a can of powder, I would use something that matched the manuals I had on hand. That's just me... I don't do a lot of experimenting and I like my data to come from a published source. I buy the parts that are required for the recipe and MIN is my starting point. Most often, mid-range is my stopping point.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
08-18-2012, 16:11

The burn rate of Lil' Gun seems about right. It's between N110 and H110, both of which are in the manual.

EDIT:

Speer #14 does have Lil' Gun for their 270 gr GDSP. Min is 17.5 gr and max is 19.5 gr. Of course, it's not the same bullet. I would start somewhere down around 16.0 gr and SLOWLY work up. Maybe even less if I was feeling paranoid (again!).

SECOND EDIT:

For the cost of a can of powder, I would use something that matched the manuals I had on hand. That's just me... I don't do a lot of experimenting and I like my data to come from a published source. I buy the parts that are required for the recipe and MIN is my starting point. Most often, mid-range is my stopping point.

Richard

In before the third edit. :)

hogfish
08-18-2012, 17:34

EDIT:

SECOND EDIT:

Richard

I agree 100%.
I don't have any bullets yet. I do have WLP primers, which is what Hornady used for their data in #7, and thought I'd be one step ahead if they included Lil'Gun in #8.
I might just go with Speer's 270gr and get the CCI primers.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

dla
08-18-2012, 19:42

EDIT:

SECOND EDIT:

Richard
I've used LilGun and H110 in 44mag. LilGun is slower than H110 by a good margin. It is also denser and has a higher nitro content.

F106 Fan
08-18-2012, 20:25
I've used LilGun and H110 in 44mag. LilGun is slower than H110 by a good margin. It is also denser and has a higher nitro content.

I haven't used any of these powders but the Hodgdon burn rate chart shows Lil' Gun (#61) one slot faster than H110 (#62) and one slot slower than N110 (#60).

Richard

F106 Fan
08-18-2012, 20:26
In before the third edit. :)

Good timing...

Richard

dla
08-18-2012, 23:42
I haven't used any of these powders but the Hodgdon burn rate chart shows Lil' Gun (#61) one slot faster than H110 (#62) and one slot slower than N110 (#60).

Richard

You don't use the burn rate chart that way.