Selling a pistol to a friend in NJ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Selling a pistol to a friend in NJ?

lonewolf01
08-18-2012, 13:00
My buddy wants to but my Ruger but he lives in New Jersey and he says he has to get a license first????

Can I use a standard bill of sale and is there anyone I have to notify? I live in Virginia.

Thanks for any advice.

GAFinch
08-18-2012, 13:15
Interstate sales have to go through an FFL dealer. Don't know what else NJ requires above that.

Cambo
08-18-2012, 15:39
Your friend needs a NJ Firearms ID Card and Pistol Purchase Permit. If it is his first time applying, he is looking at least 2 months. Fingerprinting, 2 references, mental health check, criminal history check, certificate of eligibility, copy of birth certificate and driver's license, employer verification, NICS check, money order made out to the NJ state police are all part of it. It will have to be shipped to a NJ FFL.

lonewolf01
08-20-2012, 18:24
Wow. What if I sold it to him when he's visiting me here in Virginia?

Badger54
08-20-2012, 18:30

He is still a new jersey resident making it illegal.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

TheExplorer
08-20-2012, 18:32
Your friend needs a NJ Firearms ID Card and Pistol Purchase Permit. If it is his first time applying, he is looking at least 2 months. Fingerprinting, 2 references, mental health check, criminal history check, certificate of eligibility, copy of birth certificate and driver's license, employer verification, NICS check, money order made out to the NJ state police are all part of it. It will have to be shipped to a NJ FFL.

Wow. I actually wish we had this policy.

ak103k
08-20-2012, 18:44
Move to New Jersey, and take anyone who thinks like you with you, and you can have it. :)

TheExplorer
08-20-2012, 18:45
Move to New Jersey, and take anyone who thinks like you with you, and you can have it. :)

C'mon, you know ours is a joke.

ak103k
08-20-2012, 18:51
C'mon, you know ours is a joke.
I was thinking your first post was a joke. Its pretty scary now that youre serious. Well, at least any vote you cast, will be nullified by mine. :supergrin:

Ours is bad enough as it is, but its actually better than it was, and not near as bad as some others, like NJ. Why you would want it any stricter is beyond me.

TheExplorer
08-20-2012, 18:54
I was thinking your first post was a joke. Its pretty scary now that youre serious. Well, at least any vote you cast, will be nullified by mine. :supergrin:

Ours is bad enough as it is, but its actually better than it was, and not near as bad as some others, like NJ. Why you would want it any stricter is beyond me.

Not as strict, but a few day waiting period and mental check wouldn't hurt.

ak103k
08-20-2012, 19:03
We had a 48 hour wait for years. It was a PITA, and basically useless, as are all these type laws, including a mental check.

Cambo
08-20-2012, 19:11

Do you really? I had to 9 months for a handgun permit because the detective in charge thought if he dragged his feet I would forget about my $900 handgun waiting for me at the store. How about my 64 yr old female client who had to wait 13 months, only getting her permit after her nephew, a lieutenant in another department, strongarmed the detective in charge into giving it to her? You disgust me, you have no idea what we go through in NJ - weapons banned by certain names and/or features, ridiculous waiting periods, never ending fees, 15 rd mag limit(some politicians trying to take it down to 10), smart gun legislation, ID cards, etc. All of this and it does nothing to stop crime(take a stroll through Camden, unarmed of course since we have no CCW)As someone else said, move here and try it for yourself.

dnuggett
08-20-2012, 19:11

What?

hotpig
08-21-2012, 13:07

Should have the same policy to become a pet owner or parent. Like owning fire arms it is a great responsibility. :whistling:

whitebread
08-21-2012, 14:27

I hope to God you are joking. Shall not be infringed is pretty damn clear. The government has no business telling anyone who can and cannot buy a gun. People of unstable mental health still have the first amendment. Felons are still able to use the fifth amendment. Why is the second amendment any different?

janice6
08-21-2012, 14:43
I wonder how many New Jersey Criminals follow those procedures to get guns? I suppose since there are all these hindrances in place, there is no gun crime.

How Utopian.

I want to be able to make the judgment on other peoples mental state. Works for England. I think if you want a gun you have disqualified yourself.

Bren
08-21-2012, 14:57

You'd both got to federal prison if anybody found out. Then he'd go to state prison after he got out of federal prison, for taking the gun into NJ.

gunowner1
08-21-2012, 17:44
Thank God I moved out of that state.

NeverMore1701
08-21-2012, 17:46

You know how I know you're retarded?

MasterShake
08-21-2012, 18:09
You're going to feel stupid when you get denied... :rofl:

Highspeedlane
08-22-2012, 04:45

I'd rather have those standards applied to people purchasing an automobile since my odds of getting killed by a nut driving a car any given day astronomically outweigh the odds I'll encounter random gun violence.

vafish
08-22-2012, 04:57

10 years in federal prison, $10,000 fine.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

vafish
08-22-2012, 05:00

Yes it would hurt, and it wouldn't help anything.

TheExplorer
08-22-2012, 11:42
Do you really? I had to 9 months for a handgun permit because the detective in charge thought if he dragged his feet I would forget about my $900 handgun waiting for me at the store. How about my 64 yr old female client who had to wait 13 months, only getting her permit after her nephew, a lieutenant in another department, strongarmed the detective in charge into giving it to her? You disgust me, you have no idea what we go through in NJ - weapons banned by certain names and/or features, ridiculous waiting periods, never ending fees, 15 rd mag limit(some politicians trying to take it down to 10), smart gun legislation, ID cards, etc. All of this and it does nothing to stop crime(take a stroll through Camden, unarmed of course since we have no CCW)As someone else said, move here and try it for yourself.

I disgust you. You don't even know me. Anger issues, much? Hmm, yes I do now especially agree with the mental check portion.

I do think certain additions would benefit everyone, unlike the 2 pages of paperwork and the 30 second FBI phone call in PA. I couldn't care less if any of you agree with me or not, but small irrelevant steps (if you are responsible enough to own a handgun) steps are what's going to keep the naysayers at bay and the guns in our hands . Every time a shooting occurs, a lax gun purchasing policy inevitably comes up. Who needs a gun in thirty minutes after buying it?

TheExplorer
08-22-2012, 11:44
Should have the same policy to become a pet owner or parent. Like owning fire arms it is a great responsibility. :whistling:

You're going to feel stupid when you get denied... :rofl:
You know how I know you're retarded?

All intelligent remarks.:upeyes:

Cambo
08-22-2012, 11:58
I disgust you. You don't even know me. Anger issues, much? Hmm, yes I do now especially agree with the mental check portion.

I do think certain additions would benefit everyone, unlike the 2 pages of paperwork and the 30 second FBI phone call in PA. I couldn't care less if any of you agree with me or not, but small irrelevant steps (if you are responsible enough to own a handgun) steps are what's going to keep the naysayers at bay and the guns in our hands . Every time a shooting occurs, a lax gun purchasing policy inevitably comes up. Who needs a gun in thirty minutes after buying it?

Yeah, I am angry at traitor gun owners like you. You know that a criminal will use ANYTHING to commit crime, so what difference does it make if they use a gun? None. A woman being stalked might need a gun immediately, a business owner being threatened by a former employee might need one immediately, etc. How about this - if your kitchen is on fire, you have to wait 3 days to buy a fire extinguisher? So you would be more comfortable with more pages of paperwork? That idea makes you FEEL better, but it does nothing to make you safer. As far as the mental health check goes, I have passed that more than 50 times, so I guess in the eyes of the NJ State Police, FBI and local police I am good to go. I am sure the Brady Campaign would love your support, if you aren't already a member.

vafish
08-22-2012, 12:26

What exactly would your suggested gun control measures do to reduce crime?

Take a close look at new jersey, California, Illinois, new York, and Massachusetts, then explain to me how their stricter gun control has lowered crime. But you can't do that because it hasn't.

thisaway
08-22-2012, 19:11
It is not necessary for everyone to beat up on The Explorer. He is just as entitled to his opinion as you are to yours. You may not agree with him, but you can do so in a more civil manner.