Anyone have an Unlimited gun that I can shoot at the Columbia, SC Match? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an Unlimited gun that I can shoot at the Columbia, SC Match?

Carbonfly
08-18-2012, 15:54
I'm still shopping around and am interested in building my own open gun. I would love to actually have the chance to shoot one before I start piecing mine together. I also would love to get my wife to shoot one to try and sell her on the idea of how much we "NEED" one. LOL.

If anyone is going to the GSSF match at MCRC, I would love to workout a time to enter in the Master Unlimited division for fun.

Anyone game? Obviously I'll pay for ammo, etc......I'll even pay for lunch!

Thanks!

SARDG
08-18-2012, 16:22
You can use mine at Conyers if you can get it away from Scott (PM720). That's what I did - borrowed a racer for several matches until I figured out what I wanted.

Carbonfly
08-18-2012, 16:37
Awww, you won't be at the MCRC match? crap....was hoping you would be there. LOL. I don't know if we will make it to Conyers.

PM720
08-18-2012, 21:53
Isn't Mellisa up that way? :dunno: I know she was thinking about selling hers or at least the top end.

Scott

Melissa5
08-19-2012, 08:22
Isn't Mellisa up that way? :dunno: I know she was thinking about selling hers or at least the top end.

Scott

Scott, I was a mad hornet after having problems with the gun at Dawsonville. I won't be going to Columbia, but will be at Conyers. I haven't shot the stupid thing since Dawsonville, so I can't say that it was just ammo related problems. I did case gauge the ammo I was trying to use at Dawsonville and found 7 out of 100 that were too tight. So, I need to try it with some factory ammo if I can find some that it will shoot. It is a very finicky gun.

PM720
08-19-2012, 11:48
Aren't they usually? :headscratch:;) Try some Federal Wally World stuff! :whistling:

Scott

Melissa5
08-19-2012, 12:20
Aren't they usually? :headscratch:;) Try some Federal Wally World stuff! :whistling:

Scott

It does not like Federal Champion or WWB from Walmart. :crying: I am going to try some Atlanta Arms blue box next. I let a guy at my range shoot it and he used Atlanta Arms black box without any problems, but that stuff is expensive.

SARDG
08-19-2012, 12:28
It does not like Federal Champion or WWB from Walmart. :crying: I am going to try some Atlanta Arms blue box next. I let a guy at my range shoot it and he used Atlanta Arms black box without any problems, but that stuff is expensive.
Did I shoot factory in your racer Melissa - I don't remember? If I did, I shot the same factory I use in mine - 124gr Blazer Aluminum. Runs mine great.

However, my other main (147gr) load (which has basically the same ballistics as AA) won't run my racer.

girphoto
08-19-2012, 12:45
You can use mine at Conyers if you can get it away from Scott (PM720). That's what I did - borrowed a racer for several matches until I figured out what I wanted.

Hello All, I am Back

On the road for several months and now covering the Political scene.
Also I have been competing in SASS (Cowboy) & Steel Challenge..

Kitty, your Mag is still in the box ready to go and it will get out this week (sorry for delay) .
Hope to see you all in Clearwater Fla & Orlando in 2013.
I will be in St Augustine inn the beginning of January 2013, for the Florida State Cowboy Championships.
Until then....
Gary

girphoto
08-19-2012, 12:47
Did I shoot factory in your racer Melissa - I don't remember? If I did, I shot the same factory I use in mine - 124gr Blazer Aluminum. Runs mine great.

However, my other main (147gr) load (which has basically the same ballistics as AA) won't run my racer.

That is because your racer is set up for the 124gr.
They are like race cars, only run on certain fuel mixtures.

girphoto
08-19-2012, 12:53
I'm still shopping around and am interested in building my own open gun. I would love to actually have the chance to shoot one before I start piecing mine together. I also would love to get my wife to shoot one to try and sell her on the idea of how much we "NEED" one. LOL.

If anyone is going to the GSSF match at MCRC, I would love to workout a time to enter in the Master Unlimited division for fun.

Anyone game? Obviously I'll pay for ammo, etc......I'll even pay for lunch!

Thanks!

If you come to CLearwater or Orlando in 2013, I will have at least three with me that you can try...Built on G17, G17 G4 or G34 frames.

Interested, give me a call or e-mail

Gary

Melissa5
08-19-2012, 12:53

If I remember correctly, you tried factory and your reloads.

SARDG
08-19-2012, 13:15
If I remember correctly, you tried factory and your reloads.
I don't think my new 124gr reloads worked - at least they didn't in my gun later on. I'm a little fuzzy on it all.

SARDG
08-19-2012, 13:16
That is because your racer is set up for the 124gr.
They are like race cars, only run on certain fuel mixtures.
I'm going to call you in a little while Gary!

girphoto
08-19-2012, 13:23
I'm going to call you in a little while Gary!

ok, i am here

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-19-2012, 14:07
Scott, I was a mad hornet after having problems with the gun at Dawsonville. I won't be going to Columbia, but will be at Conyers. I haven't shot the stupid thing since Dawsonville, so I can't say that it was just ammo related problems. I did case gauge the ammo I was trying to use at Dawsonville and found 7 out of 100 that were too tight. So, I need to try it with some factory ammo if I can find some that it will shoot. It is a very finicky gun.

I know what you mean about being mad at a gun. Our[meaning my dad's(kyglockshooter)] race gun with a kkm barrel/compensator and jp red dot had a bunch of failure to feeds at dawsonville. I somehow managed to finish enough runs to not get a 500 or worse score lol. We took it to our home range and ran some rounds through it and worked perfectly. Then first three strings of plates(beckley match) all had ftf. We have not yet began to ruling reasons why its doing this, but heads up if you go with a kkm barrel you may have this problem. or maybe its the ammo were shooting and they are actually amazing barrels who knows lol.

BamaTrooper
08-19-2012, 15:07
I know what you mean about being mad at a gun. Our[meaning my dad's(kyglockshooter)] race gun with a kkm barrel/compensator and jp red dot had a bunch of failure to feeds at dawsonville. I somehow managed to finish enough runs to not get a 500 or worse score lol. We took it to our home range and ran some rounds through it and worked perfectly. Then first three strings of plates(beckley match) all had ftf. We have not yet began to ruling reasons why its doing this, but heads up if you go with a kkm barrel you may have this problem. or maybe its the ammo were shooting and they are actually amazing barrels who knows lol.

It was the change in altitude.

Melissa5
08-19-2012, 17:24

Sorry about your bad luck, KGSII! My barrel is a Lonewolf.

mike g35
08-19-2012, 17:26
It's all in the recoil spring folks. Get a few Wolff round wire springs and try them from heaviest down (say 15-10), the heaviest spring that your gun fully cycles with is the one you should be running. Then you can adjust your load up or down and maybe even try a spring one pound lighter with your current load to fine tune. You can't expect a race gun to run with whatever you feed it using one weight recoil spring. These guns require tuning. Make sure you put the right recoil spring in after cleaning the gun, that's what happened to me in Marietta. Used my G22 in Beckley, it was tuned, no issues.

BamaTrooper
08-19-2012, 17:47
... You can't expect a race gun to run with whatever you feed it using one weight recoil spring. ...

I think you meant highly modified race guns with after market parts out the wazoo.

My race gun is a 17C with a Cmore dot, Carver mount and a trigger job by DEJ. It hasn't messed up with ME shooting it but I think SARDG tried to get it to choke at P'Cola.

Melissa5
08-19-2012, 17:53
I think you meant highly modified race guns with after market parts out the wazoo.

My race gun is a 17C with a Cmore dot, Carver mount and a trigger job by DEJ. It hasn't messed up with ME shooting it but I think SARDG tried to get it to choke at P'Cola.

You're not running a compensator?

SARDG
08-19-2012, 18:26

I shot it there, but I don't remember having any particular issue - but then, that was nearly a year ago so I'll have to defer to whatever you say. :tongueout:

I think I remember your buddy Ed mumbling something about it being a low-end 'race gun'. :faint: :embarassed: No wonder it worked - my buddy Mike and I are into guns with aftermarket parts out the wazoo. :supergrin:

BamaTrooper
08-19-2012, 18:36
You're not running a compensator?

No, I hardly use that gun. I shoot faster with my stock gun because I have used the stock gun a LOT more.

mike g35
08-19-2012, 18:41
Bama your right, I was talking about compensated raceguns, not GSSF UL guns. I guess I should have called them open div guns, but we all get the point. Running a comp does affect reliability if you don't tune the gun correctly. Is a comp necessary in GSSF? No (Grady proves it all the time), but they are fun, help the gun run flatter, and it's nice to know that your UL gun can double as a USPSA open gun that can hang in that division. Myself I enjoy tuning and testing my open gun, once you get it dialed in there's nothing better!!! By the way, your OAL can help / hurt you when fine tuning also. That's the fun part for me, you have to take EVERYTHING into account.

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-20-2012, 08:43
Bama your right, I was talking about compensated raceguns, not GSSF UL guns. I guess I should have called them open div guns, but we all get the point. Running a comp does affect reliability if you don't tune the gun correctly. Is a comp necessary in GSSF? No (Grady proves it all the time), but they are fun, help the gun run flatter, and it's nice to know that your UL gun can double as a USPSA open gun that can hang in that division. Myself I enjoy tuning and testing my open gun, once you get it dialed in there's nothing better!!! By the way, your OAL can help / hurt you when fine tuning also. That's the fun part for me, you have to take EVERYTHING into account.

See I can't wait to start that proccess with my dad. I love changing one thing at a time till its perfect as a package. I do have a question when starting to develop the tuning on a race gun what variable should be tackeled first? Springs? The load that's being shot? And ect

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

mike g35
08-20-2012, 14:17
Once you have your racer built, compensator installed, the first variable you will need to take care of is the recoil spring. Recoil springs, particularly tuning them to your load, affect your racegun more than anything else. And remember you want to run high pressure loads that burn a lot of powder for compensator efficiency. You can message me for more detailed instructions if you would like. :)

PM720
08-20-2012, 16:49
But don't you also have to tailor the load for the comp thereby affecting what RSA you use? Where do you start, with the chicken or the egg? :dunno:

Scott

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-20-2012, 19:56
But don't you also have to tailor the load for the comp thereby affecting what RSA you use? Where do you start, with the chicken or the egg? :dunno:

Scott

well seeing as how i have never been able to acquire a taste for eggs i would choose the chicken. its just more tasty

Melissa5
08-21-2012, 05:35
I would think that you'd pick your load and then find the right spring to go with it. I'm just guessing though.

girphoto
08-21-2012, 18:00
What I do when I build my Race Guns, is set up the lower, trigger, extractor, ejector etc.
The lower is either left alone or custom fitted to the shooter.
Re-Stipping is done to the clients wants.
While the lower is being worked on the slide is cut and reduced in weight.Sights are selected or red-dot is selected.
The slide then goes to fail-Zero for finishing.

The barrel is selected, KKM, Lone Wolf or Glock and all have to be threaded. The compensator is than selected and a decision if a slide racker is going to be installed and used.

Next the gun is put together without the compensator to see what rounds feed or don't (with the Comp cutting the power of the round.
You can also determine if the ramp on the barrel needs to be polished or not.

Once you have the gun working error free, the Compensator is installed with permanent lock-tite.

Then the fun starts, I like using ISMI springs with "Flat" Coils.
I start with an 11# spring trying 115 & 124 rounds.

The spring is cut and replaced on a SS guide rod (even Gen 4 I use a straight SS guide rod with adpater.

I than cut a Coil at a time, removing the coil from the SS guide rod and replacing each time until the gun works and with what ammo.

I have found that some of my guns work with WWB 115 and most work with Blazer 124 or Armscor 124.
REMEMBER that using a comp., you need hotter ammo.

More to follow........

G17

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/G17G41.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/G17G43.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/G17C1.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/G17C2.jpg

G34

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/G34C.jpg
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/G34C2.jpg

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-22-2012, 13:12
What I do when I build my Race Guns, is set up the lower, trigger, extractor, ejector etc.
The lower is either left alone or custom fitted to the shooter.
Re-Stipping is done to the clients wants.
While the lower is being worked on the slide is cut and reduced in weight.Sights are selected or red-dot is selected.
The slide then goes to fail-Zero for finishing.

The barrel is selected, KKM, Lone Wolf or Glock and all have to be threaded. The compensator is than selected and a decision if a slide racker is going to be installed and used.

Next the gun is put together without the compensator to see what rounds feed or don't (with the Comp cutting the power of the round.
You can also determine if the ramp on the barrel needs to be polished or not.

Once you have the gun working error free, the Compensator is installed with permanent lock-tite.

Then the fun starts, I like using ISMI springs with "Flat" Coils.
I start with an 11# spring trying 115 & 124 rounds.

The spring is cut and replaced on a SS guide rod (even Gen 4 I use a straight SS guide rod with adpater.

I than cut a Coil at a time, removing the coil from the SS guide rod and replacing each time until the gun works and with what ammo.

I have found that some of my guns work with WWB 115 and most work with Blazer 124 or Armscor 124.
REMEMBER that using a comp., you need hotter ammo.

More to follow.......

Thank you for this amazingly precise post. This is what i have been looking for.

girphoto
08-22-2012, 19:48
Thank you for this amazingly precise post. This is what i have been looking for.

Any other questions, feel free to e-mail me
Gary

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-22-2012, 22:05
Any other questions, feel free to e-mail me
Gary

Thank you. This forum is beyond badass, it has provided me the opportunity to find all the information I need in one place.

BamaTrooper
08-23-2012, 07:04
...REMEMBER that using a comp., you need hotter ammo.

Is that a function of the extra weight? I think understand how the comp works, but at the point it starts working, isn't the bullet out of the barrel and the gun should start functioning normal if the extra weight wasn't hanging on the end of the barrel?

Carbonfly
08-23-2012, 07:16
Is that a function of the extra weight? I think understand how the comp works, but at the point it starts working, isn't the bullet out of the barrel and the gun should start functioning normal if the extra weight wasn't hanging on the end of the barrel?

I'm probably wrong but I thought it was because you are now directing gasses up rather than straight out which will effect the weapon's ability to cycle. Thus hotter ammo is typically needed to generate enough pressure to still cycle. Seems like you want a delicate balance of pressure vs recoil control for gun cycling vs handling.

girphoto
08-23-2012, 09:16
I'm probably wrong but I thought it was because you are now directing gasses up rather than straight out which will effect the weapon's ability to cycle. Thus hotter ammo is typically needed to generate enough pressure to still cycle. Seems like you want a delicate balance of pressure vs recoil control for gun cycling vs handling.

You are correct, the weight has nothing to do with it, Some Comps are made from Steel, Titanium, aluminum, etc..It is how the gases are directed as the bullet leaves the barrel&Comp combo. You loose for lack of a better term backward thrust to move the slide. Hotter ammo, or a round that is built for the comp/recoil spring combo and will move the slide each and every time is the only way to go.
I have built guns that work flawlessly with any ammo with out the comp. Once I add the comp. the who picture changes and it is drawing board time. After you build a few though, you get to know the barrel/comp combo and what recoil spring weight is need with what ammo.
As I said before , no different than building a custom Race Car!
Hope this helps:)

PM720
08-23-2012, 09:30
I thought another reason for the hotter ammo was to generate more gas pressure to keep the muzzle down? :dunno:

Scott

girphoto
08-23-2012, 09:36
I thought another reason for the hotter ammo was to generate more gas pressure to keep the muzzle down? :dunno:

Scott

Hi Scott
There is a fine balance between gas pressure, muzzle flip and slide cycle.
The Comp its self will keep the muzzle down and the correct mixture of recoil spring & ammo will work the slide.
Gary