Your "Favorite" Local Gun Shop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your "Favorite" Local Gun Shop

CJStudent
08-18-2012, 16:30
So what makes your favorite LGS your favorite?

For me, it's partially the convenience, and partially the atmosphere there. It's a small shop; heck, some of the guys that work there work there for free!

It may be a bit more expensive than some of the bigger shops, but I like dealing with these guys. I know them, they know me; none of the tools you'll find some other places. It's literally just around the corner from me, so I'll drop in just to say hi and poke around a bit fairly often. It's rare that I can get out of there without spending money, though, lol.

Jason D
08-18-2012, 16:55
It's mainly the high prices and the lack of lube upon bending over.

dnuggett
08-18-2012, 17:10
The fact that the get me what I want before many folks get a chance to even see one. Case in point an XDS awhile ago and a KSG two days ago.

skeeter7
08-18-2012, 17:16
Great prices and the guys are great there as well. I make it a point to stop by every Friday even if it's just to say hello.

Glock40man
08-18-2012, 17:50
My favorite LGS has exceptional CS. Sometimes I stop just to shoot the breeze.

TheExplorer
08-18-2012, 18:09
Mine is because they treat everyone who walks through the door the same. Not everyone starts out qualifying for TopShot, and they understand that. I had one that made me feel like an idiot because I didn't know as much as them. They have since gone out of business because they would act like this with every new customer.

collim1
08-18-2012, 18:10
I have a favorite LGS. I may pay a few more bucks for a gun, but it goes to a local family owned business, and I am ok with that. I can usually find ammo cheaper if I research and make a bulk purchase, but I buy a 2-3 boxes a week from them at a little more cost.

As a result I have bought several guns on 0% interest layaway from them in last few years.

Tim151515
08-18-2012, 18:14
I like the fact that has a good atmosphere and great service. Its not some mall ninja candy shop with nothing but ar's and people behind the desk that wished they joined the army/marines but couldnt muster the balls to do it. You can just go there and shoot the #$@!, with no pressure. But if you do need service, work on a gun etc. its all there. I try to make sure every one of my purchases is from there.

CJStudent
08-18-2012, 18:19
Yeah, I forgot to mention that my LGS is also one of the few gunsmith shops around, and in my opinion, the best locally.

pennlineman
08-18-2012, 18:22
They just treat me good. They also work with me on layaways on my more expensive purchases.

hogship
08-18-2012, 18:46
I have two favorite LGS's.......

Both of these have great used guns.......but, you have to be prepared to pay up right now, because the good ones don't last for long!

One shop is more favorite than the other, because the owner is someone I've known for 32 years. Great guy.

ooc

concretefuzzynuts
08-18-2012, 18:47
"Superior Pawn and Guuuuuun! 4 locations to serve you with the widest selection of guns in the tidewater area, knives, gold, high end watches and low end watches."

Ok enough of the commercial I hear every day. It really is a good store with great owners and a mostly friendly staff. Each store has a firing range and they let you have a free range session with each purchase of a firearm. You can even buy a years membership for 1/2 price ($60) with your gun purchase. I can't say enough good things about them.

michael e
08-18-2012, 18:48
And thats your favorite? Man would hate to see what the worse one around you offers.

Jim S.
08-18-2012, 18:49
Mine has good knowledgeable people who will spend as much time with you as you may need.
Good selection of guns and fairly decent prices.
Has an indoor range and plenty of top quality ammo along with a lot of range type ammo.
They don't get nervous if you practice rapid fire drills and they treat everyone with respect.
Almost sounds too good to be true doesn't it?

SPIN2010
08-18-2012, 18:53

Cincinnati? Oh, sorry I see MI in the avatar.

Jason D
08-18-2012, 19:21
And thats your favorite? Man would hate to see what the worse one around you offers.

It's pretty much the only game in town. I'd have to drive 50 miles to get to a good one.

Full MSRP on most everything.
Gun accessories and other stuff is mostly over. The only reason to stop there is when you need something now for an emergency or something.

Andy W
08-18-2012, 19:22
Best prices I've ever seen, friendly staff, great customer service. Very rare to find a small gun shop like this which is why they do so well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

skeeter7
08-18-2012, 19:37
Forgot to mention that my favorite LGS does free transfers and has no money down layaways for up to a year. He also has lower prices than anyone else in the area. You can't beat it!

GLOCK17DB9
08-18-2012, 20:51
While location and prices are important you have to feel that you are really being treated fairly and appreciated and that is what my local gun shop does for me. btw Double Action Gun Shop.:supergrin:

GaGlock01
08-18-2012, 21:02
This is the biggest and baddest store in GA. It is so big you can get lost in the store for hrs.

No other store has the selection that they have, and the prices are good.

http://www.adventureoutdoors.us/

I find Forsyth County Pawn , and 400 pawn to have the best prices and best customer service (same company).

There are a few I would never do business with.

bac1023
08-18-2012, 21:12
Great treatment and awesome prices

The fact that they let me keep firearms in the back for over a year doesn't hurt either. ;)

NeverMore1701
08-18-2012, 21:15
Don't have one. There's one with a crappy indoor range that I'll use a couple of times a year if I absolutely have to shoot a pistol but can't make it out to the ranch, a pawnshop that's fairly close that does ok transfers, and Academy which has decent prices but very limited stock.

byf43
08-18-2012, 21:16
My favorite local shop closed down several years ago, after the owner passed away, and his son just didn't want to continue.

"Accokeek Sports" in Waldorf, MD.

Always good conversation and a knowledgeable staff, for the most part.
There was one guy that always gave out his loads for .44 magnum, that were more than a grain higher than maximum.

"Old Days. Good times I remember."

Walk Soft
08-18-2012, 21:27
We have nine LGS's here.My favorite is Bud's.You would think that as big and constantly busy they are that they wouldn't have the best customer service.The opposite is true.Everyone has a genuinely appreciative attitude.
Sometimes a counter person(elsewhere) can half smile and say all the right things but you can still tell they are bothered by your making them work.
That makes the difference for me.

CJStudent
08-18-2012, 21:30
We have nine LGS's here.My favorite is Bud's.You would think that as big and constantly busy they are that they wouldn't have the best customer service.The opposite is true.Everyone has a genuinely appreciative attitude.
Sometimes a counter person(elsewhere) can half smile and say all the right things but you can still tell they are bothered by your making them work.
That makes the difference for me.

Yeah, I've been in Buds a few times, but never bought more than accessories. I live in Louisville, but work in Lexington.

NEOH212
08-19-2012, 01:40
Customer service, not pushy, they know me by name, honesty, good selection, knowledgeable, and fair prices.

I'll gladly pay a little more and deal with a place that gives me all of the above.

:thumbsup:

The_Gun_Guru
08-19-2012, 06:40
Tropical Firearms

Weston Arms

Both in Davie, FL. Great service and great people to deal with. Wish I could get in there more often but life gets in the way most of the time.

TGG

Providence
08-19-2012, 07:06
We are blessed with a number of good LGSs: Pannell's, Hi Caliber, and Big Woods Goods come to mind, but my favorite is Canton Gun and Pawn. They all talk to you, and have friendly responses, but Canton Gun will go on and on. They will show you guns for an hour without a purchase. They talk training and home defense. They are willing to special order.

Can you tell that I like them?

rhino673
08-19-2012, 07:34
I am very lucky to have quite a few lgs around here. Prices on them are usually within reason. One or two purposely jack their prices up because most people like to haggle. A couple have lower sticker prices but no haggling. For the most part, i would MUCH rather buy/ support from my local LGS then order from a online source. Even if it meant paying a few more bucks.

Dawolf
08-19-2012, 08:45
Unlike most shops in my area, the one I go to has a great supply of reloading equipment.