Gun Proofing Your Children...educate me on raising kids around guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Proofing Your Children...educate me on raising kids around guns

Carbonfly
08-18-2012, 17:29
So my wife is currently 23 weeks pregnant and we are very interested in raising our child to be a responsible person around firearms. So I guess my question is.....how were you raised and what tips do you have to ensure the safety of your family around guns?

Personally, my family has pictures of me shooting high power rifle at 5 years old. I was always supervised and safety was #1 before any shots were fired. I was hunting by age 11 and killed my first deer when I was 13. By 16, I was hunting on my own with my family in the area to assist if needed.

My family never introduced me to competitive shooting, but now that my wife and I are competing, we would love to share that with our child in the future. At our most recent USPSA match we had 12 year olds shooting in our group. It was amazing at how focused the were on safety and technique. These young men even ran some stages, keeping score and running the clock. It was very neat to see.

I've read Massad's book a few times and it is pretty solid...But I would love to know if there is any other books I can pick up on the subject.

Thanks.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu234/carbonfly/Gun%20Stuff/A3D15AAF-3122-4908-B944-6EA78017CFAB-16463-000013AE1EFCAFCC.jpg

faawrenchbndr
08-18-2012, 17:33
Never trust a child alone with a weapon. Get a safe & a bedroom quick access safe.

hogship
08-18-2012, 18:25
Deny access.

ooc

Carbonfly
08-18-2012, 18:45
Thanks. I've got the safes and everything not in use is locked down. I'm more interested in education philosophies about introducing your kid to guns. What gun did you start with, etc.

Top_Shot_31
08-18-2012, 19:40
Can't really offer up anything specific to guns. My dad had hunting shotguns, but sold them when my oldest brother (8 years older than me) was young and hasn't had any since, so guns were never a thing in my house growing up. My mom even made her best efforts to remove toy guns from the police sets she bought us.

My oldest brother became a police officer at age 18, and I got to shoot his Glock 19 for the first time when I was 11 or 12. Only got to shoot five rounds, but I was hooked.

My first piece of advice would be to NOT force anything upon the kid other than safety. Don't try to force the kid to shoot if he/she doesn't want to. That comes from the time I've spent coaching kids, some of whom were forced into the sport because of mom and dad and hated every second of it.

In general, just preach common sense. Wear a helmet, wear your seatbelt, don't eat laying down...you teach a kid how to have common sense, that will go a LONG way in gun safety.

Good for you for introducing your child to firearms, I wish more people did it. Good luck!

faawrenchbndr
08-18-2012, 19:51
I was raised in a different time. I knew that if I messed with the guns
they were in closet & dresser drawers, I would get te beating of my life.

So, in short, fear kept me from messing with them. I would please
urge you to use a different tactic with your child. Living in fear
Getting beat as a child is no way to grow up.

checkyoursix
08-18-2012, 19:53
My philosophy has been to respect their interests, rather than forcing guns or anything down their throat. My daughter couldn't care less, and so be it. My son shoots IDPA, is not crazy about guns but knows and respects them.

Start when they ask, answer questions honestly. The 10/22 or a small Henry are perfect for kids, stay on 22's a while don't rush anything.

Never become over confident and leave guns around. I still supervise my 19 years old, the combination of the safe is for parents only.

Reward correct behavior, never dompromise on safety, maintain strict routines. On the latter, an example. My son and I always place an old unique tin can on a shelf during dry fire sessions. It's placed there for the duration after guns are checked and placed away afterwards. Probably not necessary now, but my son has ADD so I prefer to stick to the routine.

hogship
08-18-2012, 21:52
Thanks. I've got the safes and everything not in use is locked down. I'm more interested in education philosophies about introducing your kid to guns. What gun did you start with, etc.

OK, good.........

The thing to instill into their minds is that guns can be used for good, or bad......honor, or dishonor. It isn't the gun that chooses those things, but the person who uses them.

I started out both my sons with this single shot Marlin 15YN 22LR youth rifle:

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/392973035.jpg

It was good for the first shots, learning safety, trigger control and sight alignment...... I don't think I would change this rifle choice, but be aware that it won't take very long at all before kids are ready to move up to something else. Kids don't want to load single cartridges......they want to shoot a lot, see the cans jump......and have all the fun! Forget about iron sights until later.....get a cheap scope and let them concentrate on safety rules at first. Have them learn the basics......then set them loose on reactive targets.....cans, shotgun shells, clay pigeons, balloons, Ritz crackers........these are the kinds of targets that make all the fun happen!

ooc

ChuteTheMall
08-18-2012, 22:47
So I guess my question is.....how were you raised and what tips do you have to ensure the safety of your family around guns?

In my case it started with toy guns, both rifles and pistols.
I was not allowed to point them at the dog or any human family members, only the cat was fair game.
I learned how to carry guns, about muzzle control and keeping the finger out of the trigger guard long before I joined the Cub Scouts and got a BB rifle, then after earing my Marksmanship merit badge in the Boy Scouts, I got a real .22 rifle. Treat all guns as loaded, even toys guns.

Whenever I got the opportunity to run amok home alone, I'd sneak into my Dad's stuff and play with his old shotgun.

I never found his ammo, and now doubt that he had any, so I somehow obtained a few rounds of 12g to keep for emergencies.
Never got a chance to fire that shotgun until I inherited it. Moral of this story is even a very well behaved, well trained "good boy" like me will get hold of hidden guns if possible. You can't hide stuff from a boy.

AK_Stick
08-18-2012, 22:58
Deny access.

ooc

I think its exactly the opposite, they should have every opportunity to access them. So that when you're around, there is no mystery.

I grew up with guns in the closet, I knew where every gun in the house was, and when they finally moved to a safe, I knew where the key was.

Yet, in all those years, with 4 kids, we never had a single ND/AD/incident.

I was taught how to deal with them, played with them, shot them, and raised with them around the house. They were no different than a hammer.

Shinesintx
08-18-2012, 23:10
I have a 6 year old Daughter and a 10 month old son. My guns have lost their fascination with my daughter. Every so often, I leave one of my pistols in her room (unloaded of course) to see if she will tell me that she found it.

My dad gave me a 357 model 19 when I turned 18. I carried it in my car until he bought me a 4006 for Thanksgiving. I think I was 21 and was one of the few that always had a gun with them. Maybe this was the case because I never told anyone?

I grew up around guns. I grew up hunting. Shot my first deer at 8...and saw what a bullet would do to a deer at age 5. I never messed with them...because I was never denied being able to shoot them anytime I wanted. Gun safety was like manners...I had to do both even when dad was not around.

08-18-2012, 23:14
Nothing was locked down on my house. Loaded weapons were/are by the door(s).

My dad from, the beginning, stressed safety. I remember, before I fired my very first shot, we went over function, how to break it down, and most importantly safety. He stressed to me that I wasn't to point things at people, toy guns or even my finger. He told me what firearms can do to people. When we finally got to the actual shooting, he went over basic marksmanship skills how to use a sling, ect. After we were done, he showed me how to clean it. He stressed to me, though his experience, the importance of a well maintained, and clean weapon. Then he gave me a some field and tech manuals. At the time, I couldn't read all that well, but it was cool just to look at the drawings.

30+ years later, I still remember that day.

I should mention that my dad was an instructor for part of his time in the military.

I grew up viewing firearms as a tool - a dangerous tool, but a tool nonetheless.

SomeDay
08-18-2012, 23:15
I grew up knowing exactly where the guns were in the house and where the keys to the trigger locks were. I didn't go after them simply because they weren't a mystery to me. When I was old enough, my dad started me with his bb gun. When I was in cub scouts, I shot bb rifles, and in boy scouts .22's and other flavors. I was taught gun safety when I was young and never forgot it.
Should they be locked up, of course. That isn't to say that I never cleaned my guns around my kids - of course I did, it was one way that I was able to gauge their interest. While the older ones never showed any interest, my youngest approached me when she was 8 last year and asked if I would take her shooting. I purchased her first rifle - a .22 Crickett - right after that and we haven't looked back. Each kid will show interest at his or her own pace and in his or her own way. Be patient and you will eventually have a good shooting partner!
BTW, I read the same book before I purchased my first gun, it helped.

rustygun
08-18-2012, 23:19
Well let me illustrate two different methods. One that didn't work and one that has so far. When i was little my dad had a shotgun a 22 and a blackpowder pistol that he never used and were kept in the closet or dresser drawer. Nobody talked to me about guns just to stay away from them and to leave the alone. Most of that was because at the time my mother was very anti gun when i was growing up. I wasn't allowed to even have toy guns or watch shows like GI Joe. I got the same threats ..touch the guns and you are grounded and getting the belt. Of course that just made me be careful when i went to go mess with them.

I didn't really learn about guns till i was 16 or so. My dad's knowledge of firearms were from when he was a child and the ones he had just sat around. He took me groundhog and rabbit shooting at the family farm to help clear the critters from the garden. My interest and knowledge didn't really start till i had moved out and a friend bought a desert eagle that we shot a few times. I was always curious about guns but never had an outlet to see what the deal was. That could have been very dangerous.

I took a different approach with my oldest boy. I wanted to remove the mystery of guns and how they work so he wouldn't be drawn to experiment on his own. Better to know what the things can do so you wont be stupid with them. Or my worst fear is that with a passable knowledge of guns at a friends house he would want to mess around with one. So my boy knows the rules about safe handing and to tell an adult if he's out and finds one and what not. Every gun is always loaded everytime he looks away even if he just checked it. No ammo around while cleaning. And never to pick up a gun unless i hand it to him with the chamber locked open. Then he's free to look at and handle it with my supervision in a manner that teaches smart safe barrel control etc. My guns are always locked up and he is still curious but now i know at least maybe he wont be drawn to be dumb like i was as a kid.

lunarspeak
08-19-2012, 00:21
one thing to remember..back in the day when there was any accidents as long as the kid wasnt hurt and was sorry, no harm no foul..

now there are laws about leaving firearms around children and a DA will not care if little sally knows gun safety when your in a courtroom.

im not saying that you cant have your kids around guns im just saying that in this day and age maybe waiting till there alittle older and not leaving loaded weapons around may be wise.

Osborne
08-19-2012, 00:58
Never become over confident and leave guns around. I still supervise my 19 years old, the combination of the safe is for parents only.

Dang complete opposite here :p got my first glock/gun when I was 19 and that was earlier this year, Feb I think. I had to school my parents on guns. ( mostly my mom)

I REALLY need to invest in a safe when money permits , I'm already up to 5 guns and they are just laying all over my room ....

I always grew up around guns at my grandparents etc all my life and I never thought once about touching them, I just knew not to... I guess every kid is different though

checkyoursix
08-19-2012, 05:56
In my house, as I think is the case for most people, I don't only have my kids but oftentimes other kids of both genders. Leaving guns around because your kids are competent leaves you completely exposed to risks created by kids that you know very little or nothing about. In my opinion, that is an unacepptable risk.

Where I live on top of the risk there is the issue that many parents are very uneasy about guns, and in order to maintain cordial relations I prefer to secure everything in a safe or on my person, and they don't know about the concealed part. Some will scoff at this attitude, I respect their opinion but choose that my kids are not shunned because of their dad.

ggarciatx
08-19-2012, 06:02
at the age of 5 with a Daisy BB gun. I pretty much grew up on our ranch when I was not in the city going to school. We had livestock at the ranch, so shooting was handled carefully. My dad bought all of his guns in the 50's and never bought one while I was alive. He owned 2 British .303, a straight pull Schmidtt Rubin (sp) rechambered in .308, an Italian 6.5 Carcano, a Winchester Pre-64 30-30, a double barrel .410 and a J.C. Higgins 22 revolver. During the years he let me trade the ones (one .303, Schimitt Rubin, Carcano) to upgrade for more modern guns. They were kept in his closet and we had access to them when needed. He taught us how load, check for safety, and unload them all. While he taught me to hunt, he was startled when I started hunting with a Mini-14. Some of my best memories are of both of us going hunting together. I lost him 4 years ago and still remember our last hunting season together right before. He was still using that .303 Mk4 Savage Enfield. I have it now and would not let it go for anything. That rifle along with the Winchester were the guns that put food on our table the most. I started off teaching my two with Marlin model 60s. My 14 year old daughter took my dads place on the hunts the season after he passed. Bet he is smiling down on that. I recently came into a blessing of 3 step daughters. One of whom literally can put most men to shame with her shooting skills. She is a natural if I have ever seen in learning fast how to handle a rifle. She is only 16. The 12 year old loves to shoot too. I keep the firearms locked up in a safe when they are not being used. You will learn your own kids personality and learning skills. Use them to your advantage. Good luck and congratulations on the child.

fasteddie565
08-19-2012, 08:58
I use the Eddie Eagle program from the NRA.

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/

It worked well for me. Remove the mystique of guns by teaching your child to safely handle a firearm and then allowing your children to handle them under your supervision. All three of my daughters grew up with Eddie Eagle, I have loaded guns all over my house with never an issue. I also use gun safes and smaller hand vaults as a part of my plan.

dudel
08-19-2012, 10:05
Your kids may be trained; but what about their friends when they come over?

APERS
08-19-2012, 11:03
Lots of helpful info posted so far! Aside from the obvious security; safes, trigger locks etc.. I would add taking the youngsters to a Hunters Education course as soon as possible. Brother, sisters and I all took it when were young kids in the early 70's. And all four of my kids took it when they were old enough to understand. Do not have to be a hunter at all. Majority of it is gun safety. GREAT learning for kids, in fact they should teach the course in all schools. There would be way less gun related stupidity in todays world for sure. Good luck!:wavey:

Jack23
08-19-2012, 14:17
I did it like this: Until they were old enough I kept the guns isolated, un-assembled, and store under lock and key separately from ammo.

As each child reached what we considered to be a point of readiness they were introduced to fire arms starting off of course with safety and just handling and getting the feel and all the Q and A they wanted. When they were ready I would take them out into the country or the range and let them do some very closely supervised shooting. Before all shooting sessions we had a review of safety and handling rules. Back home we cleaned the guns and more Q and A.

None of them was what you'd call "ate up with it" interested but they all enjoyed going out and shooting with dad. Now none of them are gun owners or particularly interested in them but they are not anti gun either.

I believe very strongly in removing the mystery of guns from young children. If they see them and know they are there and are denied and told to never touch etc they may decide to "find" them and that's where the trouble starts. My kids new better than to even think about trying to find daddy's guns. But like I said, I removed the mystery so the temptation was never really there. They knew they could always ask questions and get answers and we could all go and shoot together when ever we wanted.

Maine1
08-20-2012, 02:34
Eddie eagle forms a cornerstone.

My son has never seen me without a weapon, or at least very rarley. He commneted the other day- "hey, you don't have your gun on, that is so weird".

he knows that if he is curiuos about any gun, he can just ASK, and get to hold, touch, and learn about it in a safe maner.
he also understands- not just has been told- that guns damage and kill things.

he has his own guns, a 22 and a BB gun. he is getting big enough to handle the 22 pretty well. We use 22 CB long for plinking sessions, and he loads, shoots and unloads the weapon all by himself.
he also carries it in a safe manner, minds his muzzle direction and trigger finger.
we talk about safetey pretty often, and i give him scenarious, and he tells me safetey rules in his own words.
He knows that he is not to touch eaither gunsafe, yet if he has questions, or wants to see a gun, he can just ask anytime. he also helps clean the guns, his and my EDC

I was raised with weapons, my son much moreso.
You have to set an example to follow, and spend the time.

verrot
08-20-2012, 06:16
This....

My son has never seen me without a weapon, or at least very rarley. He commneted the other day- "hey, you don't have your gun on, that is so weird".

he knows that if he is curiuos about any gun, he can just ASK, and get to hold, touch, and learn about it in a safe maner.
he also understands- not just has been told- that guns damage and kill things.

he has his own guns, a 22 and a BB gun. he is getting big enough to handle the 22 pretty well. We use 22 CB long for plinking sessions, and he loads, shoots and unloads the weapon all by himself.
he also carries it in a safe manner, minds his muzzle direction and trigger finger.
we talk about safetey pretty often, and i give him scenarious, and he tells me safetey rules in his own words.
He knows that he is not to touch eaither gunsafe, yet if he has questions, or wants to see a gun, he can just ask anytime. he also helps clean the guns, his and my EDC

I was raised with weapons, my son much moreso.
You have to set an example to follow, and spend the time.

And this....

I think its exactly the opposite, they should have every opportunity to access them. So that when you're around, there is no mystery.

I was taught how to deal with them, played with them, shot them, and raised with them around the house. They were no different than a hammer.

fasteddie565
08-20-2012, 07:20
Your kids may be trained; but what about their friends when they come over?

A good question

That was part of the EE training. I never left a weapon willy nilly on the coffee table, they stayed in the hand vault, for example. Also, visiting kids were told where they could and could not go. There was always two safety stops between a visiting child and a loaded firearm.

I also never had much of an issue with kids "coming over" although it does add to the complexity of the plan.

FAS1
08-20-2012, 07:29
I think you are on the right track. Educate, take the mystery out of it and teach good gun safety. Even with that you will never know if that's enough for some until something bad happens. Make sure you continue to use your safes and hangun safes just to be sure.

When I designed mine, it was after one of my son's friends said "I know where your gun is" while I was in the garage reloading :shocked:

Apparently my oldest showed him a .25 auto that I kept in my toolbox. It was the only gun that was not in the safe at the time and I spent a lot of time in the garage reloading back then. It was a real wake up call. They didn't touch it, but what if the friend grabbed it and said "Cool"? They were around 11 or 12 at that time. Thank God nothing happened, but that's when I decided to make what I wanted in a handgun safe and now that my kids are grown I still use it for my G17 for home defense.

So, in my opinion do all that you can to teach them, but don't take for granted that they will ALWAYS make the right decision, especially around friends. My dad had guns all over the house and I never had an interest in them growing up. I was too busy riding motorcycles and didn't get into guns until I had my own home.

md2lgyk
08-20-2012, 07:38
Although neither ever owned a gun that I know of, my parents believed every kid should learn about them. So when I was ten or so, they enrolled me in a Boys' Club NRA safety and marksmanship program. That was in 1959, and I still have one of the medals. But to his dying day, my father believed that nobody but the police should be allowed to have guns. We had more than a couple of lively discussions about that.

JT2GUNS
08-20-2012, 12:08
I have 3 kids and they all have guns. My son recieved a BB gun at 4, 22 at 6. He is 7. Yesterday we went out and he shot my Glock 17. They have all witnessed a gun kill something. This is the ultimate lesson in what a gun can do. I am wiloing to bet most incidents of kids killing people the lessons they recieved about guns were from t.v. or video games. Everyone including adults should have a healthy fear of guns, being shot is no fun, trust me!!

Carbonfly
08-20-2012, 19:12
Thanks for all of the advice. This is pretty good stuff. I'm seriously considering banning "toy" guns in the house. I don't ever want my child to get confused about what a gun can really do. I'm worry that TV and movies desensitize kids to the true danger that firearms can cause. Plus today's toy guns can look so real. How can you expect a child to know the difference?

edcrosbys
08-21-2012, 19:21
Thanks for all of the advice. This is pretty good stuff. I'm seriously considering banning "toy" guns in the house. I don't ever want my child to get confused about what a gun can really do. I'm worry that TV and movies desensitize kids to the true danger that firearms can cause. Plus today's toy guns can look so real. How can you expect a child to know the difference?

I agree about being desensitized to violence.

Not having "toy guns"? Make sure there aren't any toy swords or marshmallow bow and arrows too!!! My 3 girls have nerf guns, marshmallow bows (and guns). They are toys and even my 3 year old knows it! They can shoot each other (with rules). They have plastic knives for moon-doh, but know there is a bit of ceremony (in our house) when you get to start using a "real knife" and you don't touch one until then.

Everyone's attitude and demeanor change completely between toys and real. We have fun, but everything gets checked multiple times. Real guns kill and a mistake can't be undone.

My 14 yr old has been helping me clean firearms since she was 4. She knew where the guns were and if she ever wanted to see them she could ask. My end of the bargain was that when she asked I dropped whatever I was doing for that. As the years have gone by she started getting curious. I've taught her safety rules and got her a BB gun to practice them.

At 14, her favorite gun is my 10/22. Her second is my wife's GP-100. My 9 yr old loves my Walther P22, but asked for a 10/22 for her birthday. My 3 yr old is asking to shoot a real gun, but I feel she's still a bit young even for the BB gun.

Misty02
08-21-2012, 19:33
First, Congratulations!!!!!! :)

Sadly, I was not raised around guns nor did I own any when our children were little. My grandson was 9 when the first handgun was brought into our home. We followed the advice you’ll read here http://www.corneredcat.com (http://www.corneredcat.com/), scroll down to the section about Kids and Guns. We now also have two granddaughters, 5 and a soon to be 2 year old. We haven’t done much with the 1 year old. The 5 year old can ask to see whatever she wants and we’ll make the time to sit with her and let her handle it. We started teaching her the safety rules at around 2, she spoke clearly at the time and could recite it back. Her sister is delayed in speaking, we know she understands everything we say but will wait until she can actually tell us she understands.

So my wife is currently 23 weeks pregnant and we are very interested in raising our child to be a responsible person around firearms. So I guess my question is.....how were you raised and what tips do you have to ensure the safety of your family around guns?

Personally, my family has pictures of me shooting high power rifle at 5 years old. I was always supervised and safety was #1 before any shots were fired. I was hunting by age 11 and killed my first deer when I was 13. By 16, I was hunting on my own with my family in the area to assist if needed.

My family never introduced me to competitive shooting, but now that my wife and I are competing, we would love to share that with our child in the future. At our most recent USPSA match we had 12 year olds shooting in our group. It was amazing at how focused the were on safety and technique. These young men even ran some stages, keeping score and running the clock. It was very neat to see.

I've read Massad's book a few times and it is pretty solid...But I would love to know if there is any other books I can pick up on the subject.

Thanks.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu234/carbonfly/Gun%20Stuff/A3D15AAF-3122-4908-B944-6EA78017CFAB-16463-000013AE1EFCAFCC.jpg

Misty02
08-21-2012, 20:27

Among the first things we did when I brought the first firearm into the house was remove all realistic looking firearms. He had yellow, green or orange large plastic Nerf or water guns for years. Other than a trigger, they looked nothing like a real firearm. Later he got some airsoft and they’re all see through plastic; he does know those hurt and the same safety rules apply to them.

Ferdinandd
08-21-2012, 21:19
Here's what I did, and it resulted in my kids having no illicit interest in guns:

I explained fully what guns are from about age 6. I explained that they are mechanical devices, and that like a knife, car, or tablesaw, they are very destructive in a lapse of focus or with irresponsible use. I thoroughly explained the basics of firearms safety each time we're at the range. I kept them locked up, but didn't hide guns. I asked them to shoot with me any time I was headed to the range. My sons liked shooting guns that looked like what they used in video games. My daughter, likes doing things that most girls don't have a chance to do. I treated guns like anything else, and left them in safe condition wherever I happened to put them down. To the kids, they are like furniture, or anything else. However, I minimize the time that guns aren't under lock and key.

I could leave any gun on the kitchen table for unlimited time, and my kids woudn't touch it. I actually wish my kids were more into guns than they are.

98LS-WON
08-21-2012, 21:40
www.corneredcat.com has good info relating to women/children and guns.

Lior
08-22-2012, 01:44
Even responsible children are more prone to lapses of care ("brainfarts") than responsible adults. Keep the guns locked away, teach them how to shoot with assistance, and when they are old and mature enough they can have their own.

gunsmoke92
08-22-2012, 08:15
First, congratulations to you and your wife. The only advise I can offer is keep your firearms secure, but when they are out, don't make them into something mysterious. Brief glimpses in drawers and closets create curiosity and can lead to a child seeking them out. Let the child see them, explain what they do and what they are for, teach them how to properly operate them, and teach them safety. By making them a normal part of life, they become no more interesting than the latest video game (possibly less interesting).

Good luck.

Rancher
08-22-2012, 08:16
Before your blessing arrives get the book Baby Wise, think it is by Ezzo from Growing Families International. Been a LONG time ago that I read it. My wife and I saw it as just common sense but some see it different, you may as well. It does not deal with guns but rather raising a child with boundries. Ya' ever go into a home where the 3 yo. is using the tv remote as a toy or see homes with locks on everything, all because their kids don't have any boundries.

You will need to decide what to do with your children around firearms. When mine were very young they got to see what a firearm would do. They were never curious about guns. Living in the country they know they can ask anytime to shoot or handle a firearm whenever they want within some reason.

Good luck and congratulations!

Rancher

fwm
08-22-2012, 16:37
Taught my son to ride motorcycles and shoot when he was 5. By the time he was 13 he was expert at both of them.

Children, taught the rules, and the way of life, learn quickly.
A 'child' 0f 5 taken to the range at regular intervals has no need to 'play' with his gun and understands fully the repercussions of mishandling.

Children, in my view, are given far to little benefit of doubt in this 'new' era. (1970 and later) Children must play of course, but when trained in their interests are very quick to learn.

Around here, kids of my age where driving tractors with dual and triple trailers of hay, and plowing and discing fields by the age of 9, usually with a 22LR next to them. (The last time I was in Martinique, the legal driving age was 8)

Start by teaching the basics of gun safety, with dummies or unloaded BB guns at an early age. When they demonstrate intimate brain and muscle coordination of the rules, Teach site pictures and then single shoot firing. You might be surprised and how young a child can learn this stuff, it's not rocket science. Their need to 'play' with guns will just go away as they recognize themselves as closer to being adult through their knowledge.

ETA: My son's three daughters each had an AR or an AK, their choice, by the age of 8. Never any problems.
Rather than trying, usually unsuccessfully, to 'protect' your kids, teach them how to protect themselves through knowledge and practice.

IvanVic
08-22-2012, 16:45
Take your kids shooting whenever they express interest - don't make them feel that they ever have to go behind your back to handle a firearm (which they shouldn't have access to, but you get the point).

david.
08-31-2012, 04:48
Growing up in my house the guns was in a unlock gun case my dad stressed safety and to respect guns. I knew if I touch one with out him he would beat the heck out of me but being around guns at a young age I had no desire to play with them. I remember one time a friend came to vist he had never been around real guns and all he wanted to do was play with them and that sticks in my head he didn't know anything about guns and safety that is how accidents happens. We didn't touch them because we were afraid of my dad.

bhk
08-31-2012, 06:17
Now that gun safes/locks/etc. have come into the common use, the firearms accident rate has dropped by roughly half. Locking guns away when during periods of no supervision makes common sense. When I was a kid, there were no safes in use. Yep, I survived just fine, but not everyone did. I never wore a bicycle helmet when I was a kid either, because we had never heard of such a thing. Again, I survived just fine. Lots of kids didn't. Nowdays, helmets are the norm. My wife of 40 years is a serious rode biker, and would never ride without a helmet. As a matter of fact, that helmet has saved her from serious injury. Just because standards were different way back when doesn't mean they were better standards.

I raised two kids around guns. When I was home, the safe door was open and guns were often out and about in the house. My kids could, with my permission, handle them or shoot them at almost any time (we have a backyard range). They usually spent the most time with .22s. Guns were not a mystery to them, but everyday household items that they knew were dangerous.

BUT, when I wasn't home the guns went into the safe. My kids were not granted the combination. This, for a period, really upset my daughter. I explained to her (thruthfully) that I was more worried about her friends and the peer pressure she might endure concerning opening the safe for a 'peek' when I wasn't there. I thought she might be much better off being honest about telling them that she didn't know the combo. Peer pressure has killed many a kid over the years.