reloading nickel plated cases [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : reloading nickel plated cases

RMTactical
08-18-2012, 18:28
I've heard that nickel plated cases were no good for reloading. Any truth to this? Anything I should be aware of?

michael e
08-18-2012, 18:30
I have loaded them for years, no issues. Some say they don't last as long but I lose more brass than I have actually worn out.

dkf
08-18-2012, 18:42
I reload nickel cases no problem. If you got them, load them.

SPIN2010
08-18-2012, 18:45
I have a jug full of them right here, been reloading them for years. As stated above "I lose them before they wear out" :crying:

unclebob
08-18-2012, 18:47
There is no issue loading them. You might find they will split a little sooner than brass cases.

WiskyT
08-18-2012, 19:21
They are good for free. They can be reloaded. They split sooner than plain brass, so if you're buying them, buy plain. If you get them for free, they are worth the time to pick them up.

When they split, there is no catastrophic failure. They just get longitudinal cracks in them. You'll see the cracks when you sort through them.

Plain brass will split eventually also. But you get many more firings out of them, thus better value if you're paying for them. Nickel is pretty though and stays looking nice when it's in your carry gun or magazines.

RMTactical
08-18-2012, 19:45
Sweet, that is good to know. Thanks fellas!!

HAMMERHEAD
08-18-2012, 20:13
I like them for autos where I don't crimp or expand much. Plus they're easier to find on the ground.

yellowhand
08-18-2012, 20:22
I only buy 357 Sig in nickel, easy to separate from 40 and 9mm, never any issues and I push them hard!

Kwesi
08-18-2012, 20:31
They split sooner than plain brass, so if you're buying them, buy plain.

Plain brass will split eventually also. But you get many more firings out of them, thus better value if you're paying for them. Nickel is pretty though and stays looking nice when it's in your carry gun or magazines.

Not in my experience. I just purchased 1,000 Starline nickel 10mm. My regular Starline don't last as long. Definitely easier to find.

Three-Five-Seven
08-19-2012, 07:06
They have "issues".

The bad part about nickel cases is that they crack at unexpected times.

They usually crack during the belling operation, so inspecting them before loading doesn't prevent that.

I've had them look fine upon loading into a tubular magazine, only to have them crack as the gun is cycled. This, of course, stops the gun cold.

I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER run them in any kind of magazine loading firearm during a match. Nickel plated brass can, and does, ruin a thousand dollar weekend.

They work great in revolvers and can cause no problems there.

Kwesi
08-19-2012, 15:57
They have "issues".

The bad part about nickel cases is that they crack at unexpected times.

They usually crack during the belling operation, so inspecting them before loading doesn't prevent that.

I've had them look fine upon loading into a tubular magazine, only to have them crack as the gun is cycled. This, of course, stops the gun cold.

I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER run them in any kind of magazine loading firearm during a match. Nickel plated brass can, and does, ruin a thousand dollar weekend.

They work great in revolvers and can cause no problems there.

Are you referring to Starline specifically? I've never had one crack in the 550.