Anyone ever seen a Trapper gun Scorpion (chopped S&W Model 39)? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a Trapper gun Scorpion (chopped S&W Model 39)?

Narkcop
08-18-2012, 19:43
I saw a really cool S&W model 39 that was customized by Trapper gun works back in the late 70's. It was chopped and looked kinda like the old ASP chopped guns. This one was engraved and also engraved with scorpion. If I have my way I will be posting pics of it soon.:whistling:
Anyone know anything about it?

bac1023
08-18-2012, 20:59
No, but good luck in getting it. I'd like to see some pics. :supergrin:

countrygun
08-18-2012, 21:07
I do remember it. along the ASP/DEVEL line. IIRC the one I saw had a silver scorpion inlayed in the grip I think.

dnuggett
08-18-2012, 21:08
Google it. It will lead you to a link in the S&W forums with a little info. Not too much, but it may be worth a read.

countrygun
08-18-2012, 21:14
Still frisking my memory but I think it was on the cover of one of the early issues of "Combat Handguns"

bac1023
08-18-2012, 21:50
The Devel models were always cool :cool:

countrygun
08-18-2012, 21:54

That's why I got that last S&W. as close as possible and still carryable/affordable

bac1023
08-18-2012, 21:56
Yeah, the Devel models are selling for ridiculous prices these days.

Narkcop
08-19-2012, 05:02
Google it. It will lead you to a link in the S&W forums with a little info. Not too much, but it may be worth a read.

Yeah I saw that post in s&w forums. The one I'm looking at is a little different, it has factory wood grips cut down to fit the short frame,adjustable factory sights made into the frame,reshaped trigger guard, and about 60% covered in custom engraving. The hard chrome is dark and slightlt flaking near the muzzle and grip area. I bet this gun could tell some war stories!!!:cool: I think I can get it for around 7 bills. I also noticed it's a model 39 with no dash.

banger
08-19-2012, 06:02
Back in the 70's there was a whole cottage industry chopping down model 39 pistols.

This largely went away when Smith and Wesson introduced their Model 469 pistols,

They were not quite as nice as a custom made carry piece, but they seemed to fit the need of most who wanted a shortened 9mm double action pistol.

dnuggett
08-19-2012, 06:58
Yeah I saw that post in s&w forums. The one I'm looking at is a little different, it has factory wood grips cut down to fit the short frame,adjustable factory sights made into the frame,reshaped trigger guard, and about 60% covered in custom engraving. The hard chrome is dark and slightlt flaking near the muzzle and grip area. I bet this gun could tell some war stories!!!:cool: I think I can get it for around 7 bills. I also noticed it's a model 39 with no dash.

Interesting. I'd have to see the engraving but I generally think engraving is a waste of clean lines and space. Even bigger than average billboards bug me. That said if this gun carries the premium the ASP etc. do then 7 bills isn't out of line, it actually may be a smokin deal. I really don't know.

FFR Spyder GT
08-19-2012, 07:13

I carried a Devel 9mm as a BUG back in the mid-late 80's. I'm not a 9mm fan but is was the smallest and lightest semi-auto around that was bigger than a .380.

It was very similar to the 3900 series Lady Smiths.