Canned hams. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Canned hams.

davesretired1
08-18-2012, 23:53
Looking for a site to order some canned hams from. I would prefer the smaller size, around 1 lb. Can't seem to find them except around Xmas time. Tried all the supermarkets and Sam's Club to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA. Dave

G29Reload
08-19-2012, 00:09
You can find DAK Hams at WM and such.

I started an epic DAK ham thread here some time ago that was legend. Much applause all around, apparently every bit as popular as SPAM.

http://boatmeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dak.jpg

Spam is also a great bomb shelter food. Keeps forever. calorie rich, fattening, but that's not a problem in hard times.

DoctaGlockta
08-19-2012, 05:26
I've ordered DAK or DAK like hams from Walgreens.com.

You really need to find the thread mentioned above. It was fantastic.

quake
08-19-2012, 06:02

I started an epic DAK ham thread here some time ago that was legend. Much applause all around, apparently every bit as popular as SPAM.

...Spam is also a great bomb shelter food. Keeps forever. calorie rich, fattening, but that's not a problem in hard times.

+1 on the DAK. They're small enough to be convenient, last a VERY long time past the "use by" date, and can at times be had at sale prices for stocking up. IIRC, the last ones I bought were a dollar apiece, but to that was admittedly a fluke, when a store was relocating.

Walmart's online store even ships free on a lot of items, which can save hassle & sales tax both.

kirgi08
08-19-2012, 09:01
We've got cases of Hereford hams.1lb and full of fat/protein.Spam is good also,however we like the "turkey" version of spam.'08.

houseflipper
08-19-2012, 15:43
Anyone try Goya canned ham yet. It looks very similar.

G29Reload
08-19-2012, 16:46
Anyone try Goya canned ham yet. It looks very similar.

As much as Goya has some tasty products, I've avoided them for years now as they've been a major immigration law violator and have been busted numerous times for hiring fencejumpers in their plants. Refuse to support them. I do miss the black beans and rice meals they sell though. Make my own now.

DJ Niner
08-20-2012, 00:31
I've ordered DAK or DAK like hams from Walgreens.com.

...One of my local Walmarts carries the DAK hams on-the-shelf (same aisle as the Spam, canned meat spreads, tuna, etc.).

One of the local Walgreens stores has Celebrity hams (very similar to DAK, 12 ounces) on-the-shelf. When they go on sale I always buy a few (last seen on-sale a couple of weeks ago).

Stevekozak
08-20-2012, 08:03
I got excited when I saw a new canned ham thread! That DAK thread was epic! :) Walmart sells Dak. I think here in the south, a store chain named Dollar General carries some other brand of 1 lb canned ham regularly.

Babynine
08-20-2012, 08:24
I have a bunch of the Walgreens Celebrity brand canned hams that I bought on sale 2/$5 last year. I think they are smaller than the DAK hams at only 12oz, and I may have read they are made at the same place. I noticed they have about 75% less fat than Spam brand. I also have Spam too if I'm craving more fat calories with survival rice n beans.

The hams I bought last year are dated Dec 2015

smokin762
08-20-2012, 09:00

http://boatmeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dak.jpg

Spam is also a great bomb shelter food. Keeps forever. calorie rich, fattening, but that's not a problem in hard times.

I have been buying these at Walmart too and putting them away. :supergrin:

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-20-2012, 18:38
We stock them, and some other commercially canned meats. We have eaten them 10 years old, no problem, and I have eaten canned ham that I KNOW was over 20 years old at the time, in C rats, where just fine.

G29Reload
08-20-2012, 22:26
Scored 6 tonight at the CVS…

2 / for $4!!!!!!!

$2 bucks apiece is about half price and cheaper than a can of SPAM!

I took all 6 on the shelf. Cleared em out. Damn if I didn't think to check when I went in for something else when I thought of this thread.

Score!

It was fun watching the register tick back from 38 bucks to 12 and change…they usually sell them for $5.39 apiece.

DJ Niner
08-21-2012, 01:30
I might have to check there, too...

heckuva price! :thumbsup:

kirgi08
08-21-2012, 07:43
They are a multi use meat,all 3 meals.'08.

DoctaGlockta
08-21-2012, 08:16
http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/DAK-Premium-Ham-Water-Added?skuId=171595

Pretty decent deal. (almost) Free shipping. I'm going to run by our local CVS tonight.

Love the fact that the Canned Ham Thread lives.

FireForged
08-21-2012, 09:57
DAK is foreign meat isnt it? Where does it come from? It wouldnt matter to me in a actual survival situation but I typically eat from my stroage pantry on a regular basis and dont like to eat meat from outside the USA when I can manage it.

G29Reload
08-21-2012, 10:53
DAK is foreign meat isnt it? Where does it come from? It wouldnt matter to me in a actual survival situation but I typically eat from my stroage pantry on a regular basis and dont like to eat meat from outside the USA when I can manage it.

Says USDA inspected.

Even if its from Denmark or something, that's not like it came from some skanky South American country. Its cool.

Don't just rely on the CVS website. Go in the stores to check it locally cause what I saw yesterday in markdown isn't on the site. Its a per store thing i think.

kirgi08
08-21-2012, 11:43
A lot of canned ham or parboiled beef comes from S/A.'08.

G29Reload
08-21-2012, 12:03
A lot of canned ham or parboiled beef comes from S/A.'08.

Argentine grass fed beef is pretty good.

kirgi08
08-21-2012, 12:23
Per case,on hand.'08.

Leigh
08-21-2012, 12:44
Even if its from Denmark or something, that's not like it came from some skanky South American country. Its cool.

:rofl:

cowboy1964
08-21-2012, 13:09

I can't find that thread. Anyone have it?

cowboy1964
08-21-2012, 13:10
So how far out is the "use by" date typically? I understand they last longer.

Leigh
08-21-2012, 13:21
So how far out is the "use by" date typically? I understand they last longer.

Not sure, but as long as the container remains completely sealed (no rust, etc.), it is most likely edible for decades.

The only real issue one may encounter is that nutritional vlaue decreases over time.

It's kind of like eating a cucumber; besides the flavor and a little H2O, you are getting nothing beneficial.

bobby_w
08-21-2012, 13:43
My CVS has DAK hams and SPAM this week 2 for $4.00 with CVS cards. Bought 12 of each.

tazbigdog
08-21-2012, 16:49
Dak ham from CVS or Walgreens.

G29Reload
08-22-2012, 10:03
I can't find that thread. Anyone have it?

think it got wiped during their last server snafu. whole lot of stuff was lost.

G29Reload
08-24-2012, 00:46
I got the itch and cracked one open the other night.

Pulled about half of it out.

Chunked it and threw it in a skillet with a big potato, cubed.

Brown it all up in a little olive oil, chunked up an onion and some bell peppers too.

When almost done threw in a cube of curry, the kind you melt and add water to, makes a spicy brown gravy.

When done dumped it in a big bowl. Dinner!

williamN
08-24-2012, 16:49
Cubed and mixed with mac & cheese or scrambled eggs are my favorite uses for DAK ham

Glock2008
08-25-2012, 11:45

According to the manufacture they are US raised hams.

http://www.plumroseusa.com/product_page.php?id=6