Springfield TPR vs Kimber TLE II [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield TPR vs Kimber TLE II

Line Rider
08-19-2012, 10:08
My Chief of Police has authorize us to carry 1911's on duty. The gun has to be approved by the chief or another FA instructor...ie but Star, Liama, or junk.

I'm looking for a new out of the box duty pistol. A rock stock out of the box duty ready gun.

The LGS has a Springfield TRP and Kimber TLE II new in stock. I have looked at both. I like the TPR and know the rep that Springfield has. But I like the feel of the TLE II better. I like the fact that it's the same gun LAPD SWAT it using. (+ Point Kimber) I have heard all the problems Kimber has had.

I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thanks

glock2740
08-19-2012, 12:36
I'm a huge Kimber fan, especially the TLE series. I've owned 9 Kimbers and still have 7, all of which of been 100% reliable with any and everything I've ran through them. That being said, I've heard of alot more Kimbers having issues more than TRP's or SA in general. And while I've never experienced first hand, either one's customer service, there's alot more postive comments about SA's than Kimber's CS. My TRP has been top notch. Recently, I aquired 2 more TRP's as well (early TRP and a Champion), but have yet to get them to the range, but I have no doubt that they will shine like diamonds. :cool: So, I'd say go with the TRP, especially if it is going to your duty weapon. Good luck and let us know which way you go. :)

faawrenchbndr
08-19-2012, 13:51
Both are great 1911s, but the TRP has the edge here.
Thanks for your service Sir. :cool:

bac1023
08-19-2012, 13:53
TRP for sure

Snaps
08-19-2012, 14:30
I like Kimbers, I sold off my TRP in favor of another Kimber. I'm a big fan of 'Made In America' for 1911s, and the checkering on the front strap of the TRPs is just bad IMO.

bac1023
08-19-2012, 14:46
I love my Kimbers, but the TRP is hard to bet against below $1500.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 14:49
I like Kimbers, I sold off my TRP in favor of another Kimber. I'm a big fan of 'Made In America' for 1911s, and the checkering on the front strap of the TRPs is just bad IMO.
What Kimber did you pick up over the TRP?

Snaps
08-19-2012, 14:52
I can't remember which I bought first, the Eclipse or the Gold match.

May dump my Sig Tac Ops for one of those TLE - RL guns too.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 15:03
The TLE is one of my favorites from Kimber. :thumbsup:

Snaps
08-19-2012, 15:11
Only thing I don't like is the sights but it's a 1911, you can change everything. I'm a big Novak fan.

EDIT: I really wanted a Warrior, They're a series I, but then I'd have to send it out to be checkered and refinished. Didn't wanna deal with that so I bought the Sig.... and not happy with the decision.

bac1023
08-19-2012, 15:31
The TLE is one of my favorites from Kimber. :thumbsup:

Its a good one for sure, but the TRP is, well, a TRP.

I'm not sure I'd take any Kimber over it for duty use.

Snaps
08-19-2012, 15:36
hey bac, I'm pretty sure the word "sure" deleted itself from your comment. took me a second to translate. ;)

bac1023
08-19-2012, 15:37
hey bac, I'm pretty sure the word "sure" deleted itself from your comment. took me a second to translate. ;)

glock2740
08-19-2012, 15:39
Its a good one for sure, but the TRP is, well, a TRP.

I'm not sure I'd take any Kimber over it for duty use.
I agree 100%. And I've had GREAT luck out of all of my Kimbers.

Zombie Steve
08-19-2012, 15:40
<--- had TLE II, didn't run... went back to Kimber... still didn't run. Made gun shop buy it back, bought TRP. 10,000 + rounds later I have no complaints with the TRP. Still run it stock in matches (except sights - hate night sights for gun games).

Snaps
08-19-2012, 15:44
<--- had TLE II, didn't run... went back to Kimber... still didn't run. Made gun shop buy it back, bought TRP. 10,000 + rounds later I have no complaints with the TRP. Still run it stock in matches (except sights - hate night sights for gun games).

Hmm, honestly man, Kimbers got a year warrenty, if it don't run tell them about it. I've had 2 of them and I've had great luck with them all. While their custom shop isn't exactly custom those are some nice looking guns as well and I believe they can re-create a SN as long as they destroy the old one. There's no reason you shouldn't have gotten a working gun out of that.

Hokie1911
08-19-2012, 15:48

Should have sent it to Kimber's 'Custom Shop'. :whistling:

Snaps
08-19-2012, 15:51
Should have sent it to Kimber's 'Custom Shop'. :whistling:

yea... i called the custom shop years back to get some custom work done.... that's how i learned they weren't exactly what the name sounded like. :shocked:

glock2740
08-19-2012, 16:06
yea... i called the custom shop years back to get some custom work done.... that's how i learned they weren't exactly what the name sounded like.
Well, I can speak firsthand that Springfield DEFINATELY has a true custom shop and it turns out some great stuff.

SS TRP from SACS
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/Guns028.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/Guns029.jpg

SACS EMP
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/EMP1-1.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/EMP2-1.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/DSC00268.jpg

:cool:

Snaps
08-19-2012, 16:08
Colt has a true custom shop too... but I don't have any pictures. I'll show you hopefully around the end of the December. Maybe later :(

good to see you got rid of those awful front serrations.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 16:39
Not wanting to start a pissing match by any means, but Colt's custom shop pale's in comparison to SA's by a long shot.

Snaps
08-19-2012, 16:43
Not wanting to start a pissing match by any means, but Colt's custom shop pale's in comparison to SA's by a long shot.

What would make you so sure? I can't see that in any way shape or form. Springfield is better known, they're also better known for losing the 1911 contract to Colt.

Of the two I'd definitely say Colt made a better gun.

EDIT: I can't say you're not entitled to your own opinion, but I couldn't disagree more and I've seen no evidence that would support that. What I have seen is contrary to your opinion. I also believe Colt has the far superior product ot start with. Take a better product into a custom line and you end with a better product.

What it realy comes down too, is it's your money - spend it how you want. I'll spend mine how I want, and we'll both believe we have a better product so we'll both be happy.

EDIT2: I'm not at all saying they're bad guns by any means, infact a Pro Rail is still on my will own list for the collection sake..

glock2740
08-19-2012, 17:23
Like you said...it's your money. I stand by my statement that SACS makes Colt's "custom shop" look like a joke. But, to each his own. I've dealt with both shops and there is ALOT that Colt's can't/won't do, that SACS can/will. Like I said before, I wasn't trying to start a pissing match, but if you want to whip'em out...:upeyes: Not knocking what you're having Colt do for you, but SACS is known for their custom work, where as Colt is clearly NOT.

faawrenchbndr
08-19-2012, 17:32
I gotta agree with Joe. Colt's "Custon Shop" does good work,
but no where near the quality of SACS

Snaps
08-19-2012, 17:36
Colt had every option I wanted, wiht no issues. And not every time somebody discusses brands has to be a pissing match does it?

Most people don't even know colt has one, but they certainly outdid springfield for the Marine Corps contract. Maybe you'r right, I'll let know in a few months.

I admittedly don't care much for Springfield products, mainly because I don't feel brazilian manufacturing can compete with American, secondly because one of the two 1911s I've had from them wouldn't cycle a round out of the box.

This would be a mighty boring site if everybody agreed on everything though wouldn't it?

Do I really care at all what you think? As much as you care what I think, not at all, but doesn't mean it can't be discussed.

faawrenchbndr
08-19-2012, 17:43
Colt was handed the Marine contract simply because they lost
the M4 contract.

As for Colt's Custom Shop.......it's only slightly better than Kimber's.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 17:48
As for Colt's Custom Shop.......it's only slightly better than Kimber's.
And that's really saying something isn't it Greg? Because we all know the "skills" possesed by Kimber's "custom shop". :rofl:

bac1023
08-19-2012, 18:01
And that's really saying something isn't it Greg? Because we all know the "skills" possesed by Kimber's "custom shop". :rofl:

:rofl:

MD357
08-19-2012, 18:07
What would make you so sure? I can't see that in any way shape or form. Springfield is better known, they're also better known for losing the 1911 contract to Colt.

EDIT: I can't say you're not entitled to your own opinion, but I couldn't disagree more and I've seen no evidence that would support that. What I have seen is contrary to your opinion. I also believe Colt has the far superior product ot start with. Take a better product into a custom line and you end with a better product.

What it realy comes down too, is it's your money - spend it how you want. I'll spend mine how I want, and we'll both believe we have a better product so we'll both be happy.

EDIT2: I'm not at all saying they're bad guns by any means, infact a Pro Rail is still on my will own list for the collection sake..

The facts between the two "custom shops" aren't on your side. For starters, do you realize how many acredited gunsmiths have their roots in the SACS? Then consider Colt and you'll get crickets....

Sorry but there is no comparison whatsoever, this is not to say that the Colt shop does bad work, it's to say that the SACS is MUCH more dynamic and skilled at true custom work and it shows.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 18:12
The facts between the two "custom shops" aren't on your side. For starters, do you realize how many acredited gunsmiths have their roots in the SACS? Then consider Colt and you'll get crickets....

Sorry but there is no comparison whatsoever, this is not to say that the Colt shop does bad work, it's to say that the SACS is MUCH more dynamic and skilled at true custom work and it shows.
That's pretty much the point I was making as well.

majette
08-19-2012, 18:24

+1

colt is a semi-custom shop. to the op, trp all the way.

Snaps
08-19-2012, 18:30

never understood that logic, people that use to work there make it good? Sorry, i'm not with ya on this one.

But goes back to... your money

Snaps
08-19-2012, 18:31
Colt was handed the Marine contract simply.

I'm thinking more that they didn't want Imbel, they want american. GOod to know you were there to help make the decision though.

Snaps
08-19-2012, 18:32
+1

colt is a semi-custom shop. to the op, trp all the way.

um, so is springfield, so is wilson combat, nighthawk custom, ed brown...so what are you getting at?

majette
08-19-2012, 18:37

colt is not a better made gun. a NM serial loaded is tighter and better fit. comparing a rail gun and a mc operator, the rail gun beavertail fit was sloppy, the gun had sharp edges, developed a rub mark on the right side of the slide from the poor frame fit, and was loose after 1000 rounds. the mc operator had none of these issues and after over 2k rounds the fit was tight with no rattle.

in addition, i emailed the colt custom shop with a request. their response was they could not do it and suggested another manufacturer. same request to springfield was met with a reply stating the cost, what to send with the gun, and how long it would take.

having a warranty and great customer service is fine, the object is not having to take advantage of it.

sorry for the thread drift. still, my vote goes to the trp.

faawrenchbndr
08-19-2012, 18:37
You keep thinking what you want, I could care less.
Get off your butt, look at a few Colts & a few SACS pistols.
If you can not see the difference, then you are an idiot.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 18:38
Colt had every option I wanted, wiht no issues. And not every time somebody discusses brands has to be a pissing match does it?

Most people don't even know colt has one, but they certainly outdid springfield for the Marine Corps contract. Maybe you'r right, I'll let know in a few months.

I admittedly don't care much for Springfield products, mainly because I don't feel brazilian manufacturing can compete with American, secondly because one of the two 1911s I've had from them wouldn't cycle a round out of the box.
This would be a mighty boring site if everybody agreed on everything though wouldn't it?

Do I really care at all what you think? As much as you care what I think, not at all, but doesn't mean it can't be discussed.
You're basing you thoughts on Colt being a better made gun the SA because the Marines bought 4000 Colts for $22.5 million dollars? $5625 each?!? :upeyes: The fact that you admit that "most people don't even know Colt has a custom shop.", says enough. And please show me where Colt and SA were "in a competition" for the Marine contract. Hell, for that kind of money, why didn't they just have Wilson build them 4000 Super Grades?

faawrenchbndr
08-19-2012, 18:39
colt is not a better made gun. a NM serial loaded is tighter and better fit. comparing a rail gun and a mc operator, the rail gun beavertail fit was sloppy, the gun had sharp edges, developed a rub mark on the right side of the slide from the poor frame fit, and was loose after 1000 rounds. the mc operator had none of these issues and after over 2k rounds the fit was tight with no rattle.

in addition, i emailed the colt custom shop with a request. their response was they could not do it and suggested another manufacturer. same request to springfield was met with a reply stating the cost, what to send with the gun, and how long it would take.

having a warranty and great customer service is fine, the object is not having to take advantage of it.

Get ready for the argument,......Snaps will not like this! :couch:

faawrenchbndr
08-19-2012, 18:41
You're basing you thoughts on Colt being a better made gun the SA because the Marines bought 4000 Colts for $22.5 million dollars? :upeyes: The fact that you admit that "most people don't even know Colt has a custom shop.", says enough. And please show me where Colt and SA were "in a competition" for the Marine contract.

Yep,......like I said earlier, Colt got the Marine contract because
........wait for it,...........they lost the M4 contract to Remington! :rofl:

majette
08-19-2012, 18:43
um, so is springfield, so is wilson combat, nighthawk custom, ed brown...so what are you getting at?

custom means you can get it done any way you want it as long as you have the $$ and patience. colt? only if you commission x amount of pistols like a talo build.

the fact that people cut their teeth at sa then go on to become accomplished custom gunsmiths on their own speaks volumes for the quality of person, training, and experience that comes out of their custom shop.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 18:47
What he meant was that Colt has a "semi" custom shop. Meaning they are VERY limited in what they can do. Colt has NEVER made a true "semi-custom" gun. Period.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 18:51
I'm thinking more that they didn't want Imbel, they want American. GOod to know you were there to help make the decision though.
And glad to know that you were there to help the Marine's choose Colt. :upeyes: Good luck with your Colt. No kidding aside, I hope they do a good job for you and make you happy. Oh, and I fixed your spelling of America, so that it is spelled with a capitol A. Don't forget that that's how it supposed to spelled from here on out.

Snaps
08-19-2012, 18:55

What he meant was that Colt has a "semi" custom shop. Meaning they are VERY limited in what they can do. Colt has NEVER made a true "semi-custom" gun. Period.
very interested to know what they can't do.. Being as the guy who runs it flat out told me they could do anything you wanted. Now if you emailed customer service, that could be your problem. The customer service lady is the one who told me they couldn't do what they're doing now.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 19:03
very interested to know what they can't do.. Being as the guy who runs it flat out told me they could do anything you wanted. Now if you emailed customer service, that could be your problem. The customer service lady is the one who told me they couldn't do what they're doing now.
They can't even flush crown a barrel. Oh, and that's coming from "the guy who flat out runs it", BTW. So, I'd say they have a ways to go. If you want to be a Colt fan boy, then fine, be one. But don't run off at the mouth like you know something that the rest of us don't. You are sadly misinformed, which is defined as ignorance. But, you are most definately entitled to your "opinion". But facts are facts. And you are in dire need of needing to know fact from fiction.

Snaps
08-19-2012, 19:04
And glad to know that you were there to help the Marine's choose Colt.
apparently I need to break this one down for you. I'm not the one claiming to know anything
Colt was handed the Marine contract simply because they lost
the M4 contract.

what you will read there is a statement of fact
where as this
I'm thinking more that they didn't want Imbel, they want american. GOod to know you were there to help make the decision though.

is saying what i think. Nowhere did I attempt to say I knew anything.

Good luck with your Colt. No kidding aside, I hope they do a good job for you and make you happy..
well thank ya, I appreciate that.
and I fixed your spelling of America, so that it is spelled with a capitol A. Don't forget that that's how it supposed to spelled from here on out.
that's nice of ya, but I really don't much care about capitalization. If I spell it or cap it wrong, if the thing doesn't fix it oh well.
You keep thinking what you want, I could care less.
Get off your butt, look at a few Colts & a few SACS pistols.
If you can not see the difference, then you are an idiot.
only shot one springfield custom gun, wasn't too impressed. Just like I haven't been impressed with their regular line of guns.

Haven't seen a colt yet, that's why I ordered it. what do do know is I"ve never had a colt that didn't work out of the box.

Snaps
08-19-2012, 19:05
They can't even flush crown a barrel. Oh, and that's coming from "the guy who flat out runs it", BTW. So, I'd say they have a ways to go. If you want to be a Colt fan boy, then fine, be one. But don't run off at the mouth like you know something that the rest of us don't. You are sadly misinformed, which is defined as ignorance. But, you are most definately entitled to your "opinion". But facts are facts. And you are in dire need of needing to know fact from fiction.
never asked for that so that' why I didn't hear about it. I like colt, and you were the only one to start running off at the mouth. I'm glad your like your imbel/springfield hope they continue to work well for you. If they ever start using US parts I may buy another one.

EDIT: BTW I still vote Kimber

glock2740
08-19-2012, 19:09
apparently I need to break this one down for you. I'm not the one claiming to know anything

Well, at least you got that right. :upeyes:

plouffedaddy
08-19-2012, 19:10
This one isn't even close IMO. TRP every day, all day, and 2x on Sunday.
http://youtu.be/YL0pMrljrxo
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0727.jpg

Snaps
08-19-2012, 19:20
Well, at least you got that right. :upeyes:
all I know for sure is the only gun I have ever owned that would not work at all was a springfield. While they did take care of it, I don't trust the brand.

I think her name was debbie? she took very good care of me, especially considering it was a backup duty gun during a brief run at that job.. But no, I'll stick to a brand i trust from this point on out.

bac1023
08-19-2012, 19:41
Even comparing Colt's "custom shop" with Springfield's is laughable.

They are world's apart.

SA builds some of the best 1911s in the world.

bac1023
08-19-2012, 19:42

I do hope you're not trying to compare Colt to any of those.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 19:48
all I know for sure is the only gun I have ever owned that would not work at all was a springfield. While they did take care of it, I don't trust the brand.

I think her name was debbie? she took very good care of me, especially considering it was a backup duty gun during a brief run at that job.. But no, I'll stick to a brand i trust from this point on out.
That's fine. If you're only problem gun was a Springfield, I'd be willing to bet that SA took care of the problem. Unless your gun was a SACS gun, then I doubt Deb had anything to do with your complaint, since she solely works in their Custom Shop. But nonetheless, I'm sure your problem was corrected promptly. Their customer service is known for being top notch.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 19:53
I do hope you're not trying to compare Colt to any of those.
No doubt Brian, since Colt's "custom shop" is on par with Kimber's "custom shop". As both will swap grips, thumb and grip safties, install magwells and checker front straps. While SACS will completely build you a gun from the ground up. Hence the true meaning of the title, "Custom Shop". :cool:

MD357
08-19-2012, 21:30
never understood that logic, people that use to work there make it good? Sorry, i'm not with ya on this one.

But goes back to... your money

These people are the ones that build some of the in the world. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what I'm saying. Some of the best builders in the business came out of the SACS.

Look you obviously need some sort of validation for a gun you apparently haven't gotten yet, don't worry it will be just fine.... Colt does decent work. SA is just on a different level.

Do me a favor..... call up Colt and price a full house build with all sorts of bells and whistles, Kart barrel, C&S internals, ionbond etc.... and see what they say.

glock2740
08-19-2012, 21:37
Colt does decent work. SA is just on a different level.
Exactly. Nuff said. :cool:

CanIhaveGasCash
08-19-2012, 22:18
Having owned several Kimbers and quite a few Springfield's, I would give Springfield the edge based on warranty alone. I currently use a TRP for duty use and I love knowing that if I break anything that Springfield will take care of it quickly, and at no cost to you.

In my experience the TRP is head and shoulders above any Kimber that I have owned.

Springfield also has a law enforcement discount. I don't think it's much on a TRP, but something is better than nothing.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/canihavegascash/IMG_5250.jpg

faawrenchbndr
08-20-2012, 02:24
......Haven't seen a colt yet, that's why I ordered it. what do do know is I"ve never had a colt that didn't work out of the box.

You spew all this garbage and you have never seen their work?!?
"Never had a Colt that didn't work out of the box".... Guess you
haven't been shooting long. colt was complete garbage in the 90's
Still have qc issues.

I'm outta this one fellas, have fun playing with the troll who THINKS he has a clue!

bac1023
08-20-2012, 09:33
These people are the ones that build some of the in the world. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what I'm saying. Some of the best builders in the business came out of the SACS.

Look you obviously need some sort of validation for a gun you apparently haven't gotten yet, don't worry it will be just fine.... Colt does decent work. SA is just on a different level.

Do me a favor..... call up Colt and price a full house build with all sorts of bells and whistles, Kart barrel, C&S internals, ionbond etc.... and see what they say.

:goodpost:

SpringerTGO
08-20-2012, 10:04
Kimber's service and warranty is a joke. They won't even talk to you until you have fired 500 rounds. Then, they will take 6+ weeks to return your Kimber, and in my case it came back in the same condition I sent it in, at my own expense.

Springfield's service is in a class of it's own. You can talk to the gunsmith, they pay shipping both ways, and they return your Springfield the way you want it, very quickly.
Plus, if you decide to customize your Springfield, they will be glad to help.

I'd suggest calling Kimber and trying to discuss service. Then call Springfield.

Snaps
08-20-2012, 14:14
nobody's mind will ever change, but of the 4 companies I talked too to build me a gun, springfield was the only ones who said they coudl'nt do it. Because they couldn't special order slides.

Nighthawk was a 2yr wait, so that was out of hte question, Colt and Wilson were the final two and I didn't want a 'custom' brand over a classic name.

ColdBlooded
08-20-2012, 14:27
This thread is awesome.

Travclem
08-21-2012, 10:51
Snaps, are by chance related to fnfalman? The reason I ask is that both of you spew pro Colt and anti SA garbage ad nauseum. Your arguments are laughable and invalid.

clancy
08-21-2012, 18:48
I know several guys who have various models of Springfields, they are all quite happy with them. I, and several guys I shoot with, have had Kimbers that we were very unhappy with. I say go with the Springfield.

glock2740
08-21-2012, 19:01
Here's a couple of SA's I picked up last week. :cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/TRPs.jpg

Disregarded9-side
08-21-2012, 23:38
I had a Kimber, I now own a Springfield.
Niether ran out of the box.

After changing parts, magazines (throwing away the factory one), and springs on the Kimber it ran well enough for me to sell it with disclosure and not feel bad.

I bought the Springer within the last two weeks. It's a much higher quality pistol than the Kimber. Shoots like a dream too. I just checked they tracking number, and it should get to Gensco, IL by 4:30pm tomorrow for repair.
To make a long story very short, the barrel link is sticking in one position and it appears to be because the link is cracking/tearing/separating after 200 rounds. The extractor is also improperly tuned, but it seems to function okay.

The 1911 is a fun gun. I love it, it's my favorite pistol. It's a great comp gun. When tuned correctly, they're reliable and can be used better than any other gun in the world.

The $1,000 examples have weak MIM parts and infinite tuning variables. The Kimber had an aluminum frame and the mag that they ship with the gun has a steel follower, it was taking chunks out of the frame--this is not a military grade manufacturer. Speaking in terms of life and death, in absolutes, in musts; no 1911 is literally out of the box reliable enough to protect your life and those of the citizens you serve.

Make no mistake about it, you're buying a pistol to defend your life. Buy an HK. Buy a Glock.

Buy a premium grade service weapon that will work out of the box and you'll never even think about malfunctioning.

Defensive caliber pistols I've owned:

Kimber Pro Carry 2- Stoppage within first 21 rounds.
Springfield Loaded- Stoppage within first 60 rounds.
Glock 19C- 10K+ rounds, 0 stoppages. No Shiite.
Total from 3 Heckler & Koch 9mm pistols - ~5-8K rounds, no stoppages.
Beretta 92FS (Italian)- ~1K rounds, no stoppages.

The HK is the only thing I'd buy in your shoes.
Thanks for your service :wavey:

faawrenchbndr
08-22-2012, 02:20
Neither a H&K nor a Glock is 100% these days.........

Disregarded9-side
08-22-2012, 09:30
Perhaps, though excluding the G36 [Edit: and Gen4s] I've never heard such complaints. I was pointing out that my 1911s are less than 20% reliable.

My post wasn't meant to start a cat fight. I couldn't help but notice the OP asking about a weapon to defend his life and the ensuing thread getting into a discussion over who repaired their sub-capable product better, had to bring us back down to earth.

Springfield's customer service is much better than Kimber's;
I can't comment about the CS for the European pistols I've owned.

kp352g
08-23-2012, 08:00
I have owned both SA and Kimber. Both ran fine for me. That said, I've come to a different place and if I had a do-over, I would buy a Glock 21. Thirteen round magazines, Glock reliability, and enough money left over to fund a nice training class or two cases of ammo to train with at home.

Don't get me wrong. I own 1911s. I like 1911s. If you want a 1911, both TRP and TLE should be fine if you must buy brand new box stock from a major manufacturer. Local dept who can choose 1911 made a deal with SA for TRP operators with some additional custom shop work.