9mm 124gr RN plated [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm 124gr RN plated

GlockEyeDoc
08-19-2012, 14:59
I have just started reloading and worked up a load that shoots well but is still a little bit much on the recoil.

Berry's 124gr RN Plated
4.4gr Unique
CCI 500
OAL 1.150

As I said they shoot well and feed well in my G17 gen4. Just still feel alot like factory. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RustyFN
08-19-2012, 15:10
I have just started reloading and worked up a load that shoots well but is still a little bit much on the recoil.

Berry's 124gr RN Plated
4.4gr Unique
CCI 500
OAL 1.150

As I said they shoot well and feed well in my G17 gen4. Just still feel alot like factory. Any ideas would be appreciated.

A faster powder should give you less felt recoil. Try something like Bullseye or W-231.

Bananas
08-19-2012, 15:15
I've used the exact same components with 4.0 grains of unique for my Gen 4 19 and Walther PPQ, the rounds cycle and eject just fine and feel notably weaker than factory 115 grain loads. I would test some like that to ensure cycling in the slightly larger slide, but I wouldn't expect any issues.

Colorado4Wheel
08-19-2012, 16:04
Faster powder is what will get it done

GlockEyeDoc
08-19-2012, 16:05
I'll try to get to 4.0. Only problem is the auto disks with the pro 1000. I think I need to get the double stack option so I can be more accurate.

GlockEyeDoc
08-19-2012, 16:06
Faster powder is what will get it done

I would like to use faster powder but I still have half a bottle of unique so want to use it up first

WiskyT
08-19-2012, 16:41
I'll try to get to 4.0. Only problem is the auto disks with the pro 1000. I think I need to get the double stack option so I can be more accurate.

You don't need to be that specific. The double disk is unnecessary. You are so far below max that if your disk comes out at 4.1 it makes no difference. Ignore people on the internet that claim they can tell the difference between a tenth of a grain of powders like Unique. Powders vary more bottle to bottle than the difference between 4.0 and 4.1.

Frankly, 4.4 is already plenty low. I run 5.2 with a 125 cast in my LC9 all day long. As it is, you are barely, if at all over 1000fps with the load you are running.

Colorado4Wheel
08-19-2012, 16:51
I would like to use faster powder but I still have half a bottle of unique so want to use it up first

So after you use up all the Unique and buy a faster powder you will later want some Unique and not have any.

GlockEyeDoc
08-19-2012, 16:55
Good information to know about the disks. I thought 4.4 was low as it was Maybe I just can't tell the difference because I'm not that sensitive to the recoil. One thing I was worried about was dropping the charge too much and losing accuracy at 25yards.

Boxerglocker
08-19-2012, 17:14
Good information to know about the disks. I thought 4.4 was low as it was Maybe I just can't tell the difference because I'm not that sensitive to the recoil. One thing I was worried about was dropping the charge too much and losing accuracy at 25yards.

Have you actually bench rested your current load for accuracy a 25 yards?

Colorado4Wheel
08-19-2012, 17:24
Are you weighting or just using the disc #?

sig357fan
08-19-2012, 18:33
... I think I need to get the double stack option so I can be more accurate.

for more options on charges using the Lee disk powder measure I use the adjustable powder charge bar.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/150005/lee-auto-disk-adjustable-powder-charge-bar

worked O.K. with Unique (flake powder), but works real well with Win 231 (ball powder).

sig357fan

WiskyT
08-20-2012, 05:01

The only thing that will happen is you lose reliable functioning if you go too low. Accuracy can be anywhere in the power range. It's not predictable and I think people make too muck of accuracy regarding pistol loads as well. Some loads can certainly be inaccurate, but the difference between 5 different "normal" loads is minimal at most.

I would just load 10 or 15 with the next smaller cavity and see how they shoot. Generally, if you want the lightest loads you can get, faster powders are better. I use 3.5 Bullseye with a 125 cast and it is very accurate and the recoil is mild. If you like the Unique loads with a smaller charge, then you can just use them. If you want something lighter, then a fast burner like others suggested is the best way to go.

You can only go so light though because the slide will fail to cycle. At 4.4 Unique, you obviously are getting good function, but from personal experience, you are not that far away from stovepipes etc. You can lower the bark of your loads a bit, but you won't be able to turn your G17 into a Ruger MkII.

GlockEyeDoc
08-20-2012, 07:35
I appreciate all the responses. I do weigh my loads. Making sure the throw is accurate before beginning. Then I weigh every 10th charge or if a charge just doesn't look proportionate in the case. I think I will try a few at the next lowest disk size just to see if it cycles. Won't be going any lower than that. Thanks again