Finally have the press up and running! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally have the press up and running!

taxmann2
08-19-2012, 17:07
Squared Deal B, loading some 180gr Hornady XTP with CCI 300 and 12.4 gr Accurate #9. The person that sold the press to me came over and helped me get the dies all set up properly, then showed me how to check the powder thrown, etc. We made 10 rounds for now. I am going to make some more this week. He loaned me a balance beam scale but I am going to order a digital this week. I can't wait to start experimenting a little and building some faster stuff.

_The_Shadow
08-19-2012, 20:34
Looking good and congratulations! Carry on! :)

Taterhead
08-19-2012, 21:48
Squared Deal B, loading some 180gr Hornady XTP with CCI 300 and 12.4 gr Accurate #9. The person that sold the press to me came over and helped me get the dies all set up properly, then showed me how to check the powder thrown, etc. We made 10 rounds for now. I am going to make some more this week. He loaned me a balance beam scale but I am going to order a digital this week. I can't wait to start experimenting a little and building some faster stuff.

Nice. You are off and running!

If you have not already ordered it, I would suggest getting a good beam scale rather than a digital scale. You will need to spend some good money to get a precise and repeatable digital scale. I would also invest in peace of mind and get some check weights.

I like the RCBS 505 scale a lot, as do a lot of other folks. It is nat's eye precise as verified with check weights.

Yondering
08-20-2012, 00:16
If you're going to get a digital scale, do it right the first time and get the Dillon. I've had mine for about 10 years now with no regrets; it was some of the best money I've spent on reloading stuff. A couple friends bought digital scales of other brands, and ended up buying the Dillon after a while anyway. It does come with a check weight.

ca survivor
08-20-2012, 06:40
good set up.

nickE10mm
08-20-2012, 08:22
Nice setup!

Like what Taterhead said, get a GOOD beam scale for peace of mind. I use an RCBS 505 and simply love it.

taxmann2
08-20-2012, 09:09
Nice setup!

Like what Taterhead said, get a GOOD beam scale for peace of mind. I use an RCBS 505 and simply love it.

Perhaps I will. The scale that my friend uses is the one from Brian Enos. I like it, but I wonder if balance beam is better? WHen I start to push the limits some, I want to be sure that the loader dumps in just under max, then I want to be able to trickle up each charge. You think BB is better?

nickE10mm
08-20-2012, 09:11
Perhaps I will. The scale that my friend uses is the one from Brian Enos. I like it, but I wonder if balance beam is better? WHen I start to push the limits some, I want to be sure that the loader dumps in just under max, then I want to be able to trickle up each charge. You think BB is better?

Yes, I do think a BB is inherently better. I check my digis with my balance beam (if that gives you an idea of the esteem I hold them in). There are digis that are good but you will never replicate a quality BB with consumer digis. Just my opinion.

And if you're like me, you will NEVER sleep well knowing your charges might be off. I shoot mostly target and warm stuff but occasionally go over max and push the limits... and hunt with very hot emmo in general... and NOTHING made me feel better about what I was doing that my RCBS 505 and RCBS Check Weights. Best reloading purchase I ever made.

WeeWilly
08-20-2012, 09:41
I have an expensive digital, and expensive RCBS 1010 beam and a relatively inexpensive RCBS 505 beam.

I agree with the advice to go with an inexpensive but quality beam like the RCBS 505 or Dillon Eliminator. Whatever you do, don't waste your time with an inexpensive digital. The beam scales mentioned above will last a lifetime and stay accurate. Getting one of those RCBS check weight sets is a good investment as well. The check weight that comes with most scales is a single heavy weight and doesn't tell you the scale is accurate in the range you are weighing. It is comforting to drop a calibrated weight into the pan and have it show the exact weight you are dropping in your powder bar.

When doing pistol on a progressive like your SD, you will likely be weighing twice per batch. Once before starting to assure you have the proper charge and once at the end of a batch to affirm nothing has changed. A beam scale is plenty fast for that application. In addition, when loading hot 10mm loads (or long extruded rifle powders), a beam like the RCBS 505 is actually easier (at least for me) to trickle with, versus a digital.

If all of the above does not persuade you, take Yondering's and get the Dillon digital.

Yondering
08-20-2012, 19:02
For trickling, the balance beam is definitely better; the digital scales sometimes don't work as well adding small amounts of powder at a time. They work better if you take the powder off the scale, add some, and weigh again.

If you're just weighing charges, the digital is way faster. I use mine on my progressive press and weigh the charge in a case, rather than dump it out on the scale pan. I zero the scale with the empty case on it, charge the case, and weigh it. This lets me weigh each charge a lot faster than using a balance beam.

taxmann2
08-20-2012, 20:26
For trickling, the balance beam is definitely better; the digital scales sometimes don't work as well adding small amounts of powder at a time. They work better if you take the powder off the scale, add some, and weigh again.

If you're just weighing charges, the digital is way faster. I use mine on my progressive press and weigh the charge in a case, rather than dump it out on the scale pan. I zero the scale with the empty case on it, charge the case, and weigh it. This lets me weigh each charge a lot faster than using a balance beam.

This is what we were doing yesterday. Pulling each case after fill to check the weight. I might just take get the dillon electronic. It come with a check weight, I believe. Seems like a solid investment.