Very impressed with an underdog [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Very impressed with an underdog

H&K .45 AUTO
08-19-2012, 18:57
Gents,

Recently, I traded away a pistol that had been sitting in my safe, unfired for about seven years. In exchange, I picked up a gun that does not seem to be highly regarded, but figured I'd give it a shot. Well.... I couldn't be happier with my underdog.

The pistol I got is a SW99 in .40 S&W. It came to me in extremely good condition, with the original box, several sets of sights, all three backstraps, and six 12 round magazines.

The size of the gun is very nice. I find it similar in bulk to the G19/G23/G32 series of pistols, which most would agree possess a good balance between being capable of serving as a service weapon, and a CCW. Some of the features of the S&W were immediate winners for me, to include the ambi mag release which instantly reminded me of my H&K pistols.

The decocker took a bit of getting used to, but after some use, I find that I like it better than the decocker on my Sig P-220, my USP, and my 3rd generation S&W autos. It's out of the way, with nothing to snag on clothing, or other materials, yet is easily accessed when needed, and isn't difficult to operate.

After some tinkering, I found that I prefer the smallest of the included backstraps, which is consistent with my preferences on other pistols. Although I have some big mitts, I just seem to prefer a small grip on my handguns.

The light rail is a nice touch, but I found no need to mount a light on the pistol as of this time.

One thing that I thought would be a hinderance on the SW99, is the trigger. Well, I was wrong. I found that although the trigger is a bit heavy in double action, it is smooth, and breaks clean in both DA and SA modes of fire. The fact that this is a striker fired pistol that can be fired in true DA mose is unique, although admittedly I found myself "staging" the trigger in SA mode during firing.

I fired 200 rounds of ammo through the pistol today, without any failures of any kind. I fired 50 rounds of WWB, 100 rounds of Federal 135 grain Personal Defense (Hydra-Shok), and 50 rounds of unknown weight GDHP that I found laying in the bottom of my safe.

The pistol seemed to prefer the Federal ammo for accuracy from approximately 15 yards (which is where all my shooting was done from), although all of the ammunition fired more than accurately enough for defensive use. I experienced no issues of any kind from the pistol, mags, or ammo.

I had read some reviews where people reported excessive muzzle flip from the SW99, but I found it no harder to manage than any other comparable sized .40 S&W handgun that I've owned/fired.

Having owned a G23, and an M&P 40 full size, I can honestly say that I prefer the SW99 over both of them based upon the features.

In the end, I am shocked by how well I like this pistol, and cannot believe that these didn't gain more popularity in the marketplace than they did. The only other pistol that I own which feels as good in my hand as this SW99, is my USP .45, but I'd give the nod to the SW99 simply because the USP is so bulky in comparison.

Anyway, I know not too many folks seem to be fans of the SW99, but I just thought I'd post my experiences with the weapon, in the event that it might be helpful to someone considering one of these as a potential purchase. In my eyes they are a lot of gun for the money, and mine may become a regular carry pistol for me.

It's always nice when something you don't have a lot invested in, actually turns out to be one of your favorites.

The_Gun_Guru
08-19-2012, 19:09
Congrats!

I like S&W pistols a lot.

TGG

bac1023
08-19-2012, 19:34
Congrats! :cool:

Dawolf
08-19-2012, 20:40
Congrats, the one I shot was pretty similar to my Walther P-99. Hmm, Walther, S&W?

unsigned
08-19-2012, 21:19
Congrats, the one I shot was pretty similar to my Walther P-99. Hmm, Walther, S&W?

Yep, the SW99 frame is made by Walther and the mags and general operation are the same.

I have an SW99 in both .40 and 9mm and they are some of my favorite pistols. I shoot the .40 in a local league (well too, I might add), with thousands of rounds through it and believe its a top-notch gun. I spent about $300 each for them, I think police trade-ins.

Very underrated pistols.

dnuggett
08-19-2012, 21:34
Congrats, the S&W 99 is a fine firearm.

dukeblue91
09-08-2012, 16:01
Congrats!
I have the same but in .45 acp
Love this gun.

countrygun
09-08-2012, 16:24
I am glad to hear someone else likes to give underdogs a chance. I was able to pick up an IMI/Magnum Research Jericho 9mm used at a dirt cheap price because it was considered "just a CZ knock-off". I threw caution to the wind with a Highpoint carbine too and I now have 3.

I still kick myself for not picking up a Benelli B-76 when nobody wanted them because double stacks were the way of the future.