U.S. Troops in Afghanistan Must Keep Weapons Always Loaded [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Troops in Afghanistan Must Keep Weapons Always Loaded

DOC44
08-20-2012, 06:22
U.S. Troops in Afghanistan Must Keep Weapons Always Loaded

:faint:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/166517486.html

and unloaded rifle is just an expensive baseball bat.

I do remember some time ago that soldiers were ordered not to carry loaded weapons to reduce the risk of injurying civilians.

Doc44

Paul7
08-20-2012, 08:05
At the Beirut bombing of Marine barracks in the '80s, the guards were similarly carrying guns not ready to shoot.

walt cowan
08-20-2012, 11:45
ahhh, shouldn't you do that anyway in a war zone?

ChuteTheMall
08-20-2012, 13:50
ahhh, shouldn't you do that anyway in a war zone?

Or Baltimore or wherever.

SPIN2010
08-20-2012, 14:01
U.S. Troops in Afghanistan Must Keep Weapons Always Loaded

I do remember some time ago that soldiers were ordered not to carry loaded weapons to reduce the risk of injurying civilians.

Doc44

Sadly, lessons learned from the VN conflict were not/are not in place in today's military. Col. Hackworth istituted these very same procedures in the VN conflict (loaded weapon, sleep under hardened cover, and wear your helmet) of course casuality rate dropped dramatically.

Col. Hackworth's books are a great read: "Steel My Soldier's Heart," "The Vietnam Primer," "About Face," and "Hazardous Duty."

F350
08-20-2012, 14:37
I spent 2 years in Iraq as a contractor; on base troops were prohibited from having a mag in their weapons. When the army was taking over from the Marines in '09 I talked to some army troops who told me they did not have mags or ammo but were required to have their weapon at all times other than PT; NEVER saw a Marine without a loaded mag on him/her. A number of Marines told me they had 6 to 15 loaded mags in their room and more ammo to boot.

I'm getting ready to go to Afghanistan for 24 months, probably in 20-45 days, I'm still a "noncombatant" and prohibited from having even a pocket knife with a blade longer than 4"; NOT making me real comfortable.

happyguy
08-20-2012, 18:29

Doc44

The real reason troops are not allowed to carry loaded weapons is because accidental discharges impair their superiors ability to get promoted.

Regards,
Happyguy :)