What is Texas toast? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is Texas toast?

okie
08-20-2012, 07:07
What is Texas toast? Well Texas toast is thick sliced bread that you normally put butter on, toast it and eat it with your meal. When you buy Texas toast you are getting ripped off it is extremely expensive and as stated above it's just thick sliced white bread, so they are scamming you just because the bread is sliced thicker. The other day I was watching Bobby Flay on the food network and he was smoking a Brisket, he said he was going to have Texas toast also and he grabbed a loaf of bread and sliced of 2 thick slices buttered them up and threw them on the grill. Why the hell have I never thought of that? Up till now I always let myself get gouged and bought it at the store. Well I for one will never get gouged again on TT, nope, no sir, not me:thumbsup:

napp32
08-20-2012, 07:59
I've always had a problem with Croutons, Oakie. It just seems silly to pay extra for toasted chunks of stale bread.

tongix
08-20-2012, 08:47
ANother enterpreneurial way to rip you of your hardearned dollars. Texas sized means just a little bigger , okey. Thats all there is to it. NO magic involved.
But here in Texas ,we love our beef brisket. NOthing like a good texas brisket smoked with apple and pecan wood flavor.:wavey:

Foxterriermom
08-20-2012, 12:43
Mmmmmmmmm! Texas toast!!!!!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fXrHY-6KjFI/Taofr9ui0fI/AAAAAAAACmo/I7RxyroZepw/s400/grilled%2Btexas%2Btoast.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fXrHY-6KjFI/Taofr9ui0fI/AAAAAAAACmo/I7RxyroZepw/s1600/grilled%2Btexas%2Btoast.jpg)

CigarandScotch
08-20-2012, 12:51
It's half of a grilled cheese sandwich, minus the cheese...

Dennis in MA
08-20-2012, 12:59
Around here, french toast at a restaurant has been served with extra-thick bread for as long as I can remember.

Maybe it should be properly called "The Toast Formerly Known as Massachusetts Toast."

Doesn't roll off the tongue as well, tho.

And FWIW, if Texas Toast is double-sized, how big is Alaska Toast? I want a few slices of that.

failsafe
08-20-2012, 13:20
Thick toasted bread was most likely a result from leftover Loaves of bread..My Uncle had a deli 40 years ago..He had his loaves of bread flown in ..when the bead would start to stale, he would make a thick sliced bread, with olive oil, and an assortment of toppings, baked in a pizza oven...
WOW, fantastic...

Foxterriermom
08-20-2012, 13:29
Thick toasted bread was most likely a result from leftover Loaves of bread..My Uncle had a deli 40 years ago..He had his loaves of bread flown in ..when the bead would start to stale, he would make a thick sliced bread, with olive oil, and an assortment of toppings, baked in a pizza oven...
WOW, fantastic...

I've made pizza on a piece of either French or Italian bread sliced in two the entire length of the loaf and it is great!!! Can easily be baked in a toaster oven.

janice6
08-20-2012, 14:13
I've made pizza on a piece of either French or Italian bread sliced in two the entire length of the loaf and it is great!!! Can easily be baked in a toaster oven.

I agree that this is good and easy to make. The nice thing is that you can make as much or little as you want, and not have to have a lot of leftovers. (If you choose to do this)

French bread is customarily what we use at home.

Bren
08-20-2012, 14:26
I love the Texas Toast - are you people sure you've had it? One great thing about Famous dave's BBQ is they put everything on top of some texas toast.

zoyter2
08-20-2012, 14:31
Something that is proclaimed to be bigger than any other, but is not.

Something that is proclaimed to be somehow different than any other toast, but is not.

Something that is was in actuality originally created to cover up the fact that the actual main ingredient is stale, old, and really needs to be discarded.

Seems a fitting State name, doesn't it.

NOTE: j/k. Don't get violent.

Buki192327
08-20-2012, 18:00
okie, you can be excused, for not knowing about Texas toqast, since you are not from Texas. :yawn:

I do think that is aboput the only food, that you don't know about. :supergrin: :rofl: :wavey:

curlysir
08-20-2012, 18:46

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fXrHY-6KjFI/Taofr9ui0fI/AAAAAAAACmo/I7RxyroZepw/s400/grilled%2Btexas%2Btoast.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fXrHY-6KjFI/Taofr9ui0fI/AAAAAAAACmo/I7RxyroZepw/s1600/grilled%2Btexas%2Btoast.jpg)

This or a cast iron skillet, grilled on both sides. I prefer Crisco to butter but either way will work.

Aux Bear
08-20-2012, 18:54
I've always had a problem with Croutons, Oakie. It just seems silly to pay extra for toasted chunks of stale bread.

My MIL worked for a major manufacturer of bread croutons and stuffing. She always told us how the old bread was then left to dry and became croutons or bird stuffing.

Huaco Kid
08-20-2012, 18:58
Wait'll you see a stick of Texas butter!!

Wow!

tehan2
08-20-2012, 19:08
Around here, french toast at a restaurant has been served with extra-thick bread for as long as I can remember.

Maybe it should be properly called "The Toast Formerly Known as Massachusetts Toast."

Doesn't roll off the tongue as well, tho.

And FWIW, if Texas Toast is double-sized, how big is Alaska Toast? I want a few slices of that.

One of the things I miss from home is the Chateau's thick cut Italian bread. Awesome not only with dinner, but take a loaf home for french toast the next day...

I hope you're happy, now I'm home sick (I'll have to think of the crappy gun laws to get over it)

Pierre!
08-20-2012, 20:26
Lean Beef burger patty, 4 strips of bacon, American Cheese...

Served up on Texas Toast!

I *loved* being a cook at times... :cool:

Got invited to lots of parties...

Try it - and be sure to substitute Blue Cheese for the American Cheese every once in a while.

That's my Texas Toast story.

Patrick

HollowHead
08-20-2012, 20:29
Garlic bread for the stupid. HH

okie
08-21-2012, 07:21

Yum-O sweetie pie:eat::kiss::hugs:

okie
08-21-2012, 07:22
It's half of a grilled cheese sandwich, minus the cheese...

Yes it is my friend:supergrin::eat:

okie
08-21-2012, 07:24
okie, you can be excused, for not knowing about Texas toqast, since you are not from Texas. :yawn:

I do think that is aboput the only food, that you don't know about. :supergrin: :rofl: :wavey:

You are right my friend:rofl::rofl:

Dennis in MA
08-21-2012, 11:34
One of the things I miss from home is the Chateau's thick cut Italian bread. Awesome not only with dinner, but take a loaf home for french toast the next day...

I hope you're happy, now I'm home sick (I'll have to think of the crappy gun laws to get over it)

Big Chateau fan. I went to Bentley and hit the Original 20-something years ago.

They turned Ann's Place in Norton into one about 8 years ago - now there is one within a stone's throw of me.

I never thougth to french-toast their bread. Hmmmmm. I usually go with Portagee Sweet Bread.

Homesick s'more yet? LOL

Oh, the Texas toast: "To the lovely couple. Yesterday they were just siblings. Today they are man and wife."

:rofl:

tehan2
08-21-2012, 19:44
Big Chateau fan. I went to Bentley and hit the Original 20-something years ago.

I usually go with Portagee Sweet Bread.

Homesick s'more yet? LOL

I grew up in Waltham, The Chateau was an every Saturday Night thing for the family. Their food isn't great Italian food, but there's just something about the Chateau that keeps you coming back

I use to look forward to shooting at Fall River G.C. They had a Portuguese woman that would cook breakfast, it was worth the 1.5 hour drive on a Sunday morning to shoot there. Her homemade bread, and chorizo was the best I've EVER had. I heard the club fired her (or she left) a couple years ago..

2 weeks ago, it looked like we were moving back (kinda) to the area (Southern CT) but the job didn't open up so we're still here (for now). They have another office in Mansfield MA, so maybe there's hope to get back to the area still

okie
08-22-2012, 07:04
Wait'll you see a stick of Texas butter!!

Wow!

Oh man, I can't wait my friend:rofl::rofl:

Drain You
08-22-2012, 08:47
Texas toast is the bomb. Especially with steak.

whoflungdo
08-22-2012, 09:05
What is Texas toast? Well Texas toast is thick sliced bread that you normally put butter on, toast it and eat it with your meal. When you buy Texas toast you are getting ripped off it is extremely expensive and as stated above it's just thick sliced white bread, so they are scamming you just because the bread is sliced thicker. The other day I was watching Bobby Flay on the food network and he was smoking a Brisket, he said he was going to have Texas toast also and he grabbed a loaf of bread and sliced of 2 thick slices buttered them up and threw them on the grill. Why the hell have I never thought of that? Up till now I always let myself get gouged and bought it at the store. Well I for one will never get gouged again on TT, nope, no sir, not me:thumbsup:

Where do you get unsliced bread to do that with?

Diesel McBadass
08-22-2012, 09:19
we got some stuff in to make the new garlic bread pizza, that stuff is butter with some bread lol way too buttery and soggy hands get greasy just putting them in the pan. The idea is solid though ill make my own and turn it into a pizza.

Dennis in MA
08-22-2012, 09:39

Supermarket?

Easier to find around Thanksgiving, but it is sold. Or go to a real bakery and don't let them put your loaf in the slicing machine. (But it IS cool to watch.)

whoflungdo
08-22-2012, 10:00
Supermarket?

Easier to find around Thanksgiving, but it is sold. Or go to a real bakery and don't let them put your loaf in the slicing machine. (But it IS cool to watch.)

I know what you mean about the slicing machine. My father was a baker growing up. I thought that was the coolest thing to watch the bread slicer work.

It's hard to find unsliced bread around here... but then I haven't looked really hard... Lunch time investigation is on...

Buki192327
08-22-2012, 12:18
okie, Texas toast is toast that is made in Texas. :shocked:

You eat Oklahoma toast, if you are not traveling out of state.

I eat Ohio toast, when I am not traveling out of state. :supergrin: :rofl:

okie
08-23-2012, 06:52

Wal Mart:thumbsup:

okie
08-23-2012, 06:53
okie, Texas toast is toast that is made in Texas. :shocked:

You eat Oklahoma toast, if you are not traveling out of state.

I eat Ohio toast, when I am not traveling out of state. :supergrin: :rofl:

Thanks for clearing that up for me my friend:supergrin: