Some old guy almost ran me off the road on my bike today (pic) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some old guy almost ran me off the road on my bike today (pic)

Eurodriver
08-20-2012, 09:54
http://i50.tinypic.com/2yx44k2.jpg

I was recording with my GoPro when it happened. The above is a still from the video.

Which one of you was it? He was old with a beard and a HAM radio license plate. Just how I pictured a run of the mill GT'er.

Open carry would not have prevented this. And its not Obama's fault.

Mayhem like Me
08-20-2012, 09:56
he was your neighbors booty call, she may be old but she has not forgotten your shenanighans...

JW1178
08-20-2012, 10:02
Sorry dude, didn't see you there. Was on my way to get more pain meds.

Seriously though, glad you're alright.

Peace Warrior
08-20-2012, 10:05
You were going too fast for that ramp champ. Did that contribute to the "ordeal?"

ETA: Fishing poles? Yes, could have been me. HAM radio antenna? Nope.

JW1178
08-20-2012, 10:07
You were going too fast for that ramp champ. Did that contribute to the "ordeal?"

I think it was an inside job by the OP himself to cause outrage against fat, white, HAM radio operators. :whistling:

JohnBT
08-20-2012, 10:10
Almost ran you off? You are off the road. Don't those white lines mean "Don't drive here"?

Where's the other vehicle? Is this pic before or after the incident? What happened?

John

Bullwinkle J Moose
08-20-2012, 10:11
Get used to it. Careless cagers try to run over me about every day I ride. Motorcycling is the worlds most unforgiving contact sport and if you let your guard down, you will become just another racked up point for some oblivious cager.

Eurodriver
08-20-2012, 10:14
Almost ran you off? You are off the road. Don't those white lines mean "Don't drive here"?

Where's the other vehicle? Is this pic before or after the incident? What happened?

John

I am avoiding some ******* trying to run me into the wall!

This is during the incident. He is off-camera, but his truck is about 2 feet away from me. There was a merge lane right before the curve. A normal person would have slowed down and gotten behind me.

He decided to continue at the same speed and in the same lane assuming I would move?

GSSF17
08-20-2012, 10:37
Glad you are OK. As a motorcycle enthusiast that lives in FL, I feel your pain.

SC Tiger
08-20-2012, 10:46

This is during the incident. He is off-camera, but his truck is about 2 feet away from me. There was a merge lane right before the curve. A normal person would have slowed down and gotten behind me.

He decided to continue at the same speed and in the same lane assuming I would move?

I had an 18-wheeler do that once, except he was up to the back of the cab of my truck (so I was 1/2 of a carlength ahead of him). I was ahead and I was supposed to slow down enough to let 60 feet of truck past?

The driver got all PO'd. If I knew who it was I would have been tempted to send him the brocure of a truck driving school.

PettyOfficer
08-20-2012, 11:00

Legit question, not yet judging: who had the right of way, I.e. who did NOT have to merge?

In Houston I almost run other cars into rails all the time, their lane is ending and they must merge, but I don't have to hit my breaks or allow them to cut me off without any room for my safety. I just maintain my speed, or if there's just not much room ahead of me, but enough for an agile driver, I will accelerate to close the gap and protect myself from a cutoff.

If they're ahead of me with plenty of space I will let my foot off the gas, but I won't waste my gas or my brakes if I have the right of way.

Just in case (not assuming anything about you), the driver in the lane that is ending does NOT have the right of way.

I have my motorcycle endorsement but am currently without, just like my gun collection, I can't afford anything right now.

Another question: bikes have immense torque and can accelerate violently if needed, where you trying to pass him (coming from behind)? Since you're claiming to be the victim I'm assuming you were driving the speed limit in the non-ending lane and he came up behind you?

I can't point the finger and either say "what an ahole" or "you're the ahole" without more info, but lots of my younger friends with sport bikes are 99.99% the ahole-involved.

MadeInAmerica
08-20-2012, 11:06

Did you move?

ChuteTheMall
08-20-2012, 11:16
Some kids just can't play nice among the senior citizens.:fred:

NeverMore1701
08-20-2012, 11:21
Pity he didn't do a more thorough job.

Magnus2131
08-20-2012, 11:21
Almost. :whistling:

M&P15T
08-20-2012, 11:24
Get used to it. Careless cagers try to run over me about every day I ride. Motorcycling is the worlds most unforgiving contact sport and if you let your guard down, you will become just another racked up point for some oblivious cager.

Oooooh...can I play too?

Well....donor cycle suicide riders try to jump in front of me every day they ride. Car driving is nothing more than trying to dodge donor cycle suicide riders, so you have to be on the look-out for them, because you don't want to have any donor cycle suicide rider's blood and guts on your car.

Wow....I just love playing the "Ignorant Ass Labeling of People" game......it sure is fun.

Mayhem like Me
08-20-2012, 11:26

I'm wondering what john rambo thinks of your careless riding

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

M&P15T
08-20-2012, 11:26

So, he had the correct lane, and he stayed at the same speed in that same lane.....

Is there someting more you want to add to your description of the events? Something that would show that you didn't get yourself into that situation?

At this point I'm not seeing where you've been wronged.

Eurodriver
08-20-2012, 11:27
Wow - you guys want me to die?

ChuteTheMall
08-20-2012, 11:31

We know how miserable you would be if you ever got old.:fred:

ChuteTheMall
08-20-2012, 11:36
A normal person would have slowed down and gotten behind me.

A normal motorcyclist never has to depend on a senior citizen slowing down to get behind him when lanes merge; a normal motorcyclist accelerates away from danger, knowing that he is invisible to cagers, and by driving defensively.

Older, experienced motorcyclists understand this.

Glock_9mm
08-20-2012, 11:36
Good to see you are OK. Can you post the entire video?

gigab1te
08-20-2012, 11:41
I'm glad you're ok. This is why I don't ride a motorcycle anymore. I've had too many near misses, and too many friends who'se lives are premanently screwed after getting hit by careless drivers. When you're riding a m/c, all it takes is some 16 y.o. girl in her dad's F250 texting on a cellphone to literally rob you of the quality of your life for the rest of your life.

PettyOfficer
08-20-2012, 11:52

I dont want you to die, just answer my questions to clarify the situation. If you don't answer, people will assume you were in the wrong.

youngdocglock
08-20-2012, 11:58

I was recording with my GoPro when it happened. The above is a still from the video.

Which one of you was it? He was old with a beard and a HAM radio license plate. Just how I pictured a run of the mill GT'er.

Open carry would not have prevented this. And its not Obama's fault.

Open carry of a howitzer would have prevented this.

teumessian_fox
08-20-2012, 12:53

MasterShake
08-20-2012, 13:29
Pity he didn't do a more thorough job.

No kidding, too bad. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Oh and:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/qwe12/euro.jpg

Bullwinkle J Moose
08-20-2012, 13:42
Oooooh...can I play too?...
Wow....I just love playing the "Ignorant Ass Labeling of People" game......it sure is fun.

For the benefit of you and other true ignorant asses, "cager" is a descriptive term, not an insulting epithet or label.

:shame:

Didn't your mama ever tell you, if you don't know what you are talking about, it is OK to STFU?

PettyOfficer
08-20-2012, 13:54
For the benefit of you and other true ignorant asses, "cager" is a descriptive term, not an insulting epithet or label.

:shame:

Didn't your mama ever tell you, if you don't know what you are talking about, it is OK to STFU?

Roflmao.

To MP15whatever, all vehicles have a 'cage' (aka A-frame) that surrounds the occupants and offers some form of impact and rollover protection. Convertibles do not have the rollover protection, but in order to strengthen the frame they tend to have more rigidity in the sides of the car which helps in side impacts.

Hence, people who drive on 4+ wheels are "cagers".

I still want to know if OP risked their own life by riding aggressively like 99.99% of sport bike riders or if the cager was truly at fault. Since OP has clearly responded after my questions I'm likely to believe it was all youthful ignorance.

Angry Fist
08-20-2012, 14:04
:popcorn: Having this happen in Thialand would have prevented this.

Bren
08-20-2012, 14:24

I'm almost certain that, if you did and it got posted here, the thread would turn into jokes at post #3 and then get locked. Being able to get a thread locked after death would be your legacy.:rofl:

ChuteTheMall
08-20-2012, 14:33

He was distracted playing with his toy camera when it happened. The above is a still from his video.

I was tuning in a distant overseas station on my HAM radio and scratching my beard when all of a sudden, totally oblivious to my truck's momentum, this guy on the scooter drifted into my path.

Which one of you was it? Just how I picture a run-of-the-mill GT'er.

He couldn't see what I was open-carrying.
He looked like an Obama supporter, but I'm still glad he got out of my way in time. The expression on his peachfuzz face was priceless!
:fred:

skeeter1959
08-20-2012, 19:24
Missed him by that much. Next time you organ donor! Bwahahahaaaa!!!

Peace Warrior
08-21-2012, 06:33
I had an 18-wheeler do that once, except he was up to the back of the cab of my truck (so I was 1/2 of a carlength ahead of him). I was ahead and I was supposed to slow down enough to let 60 feet of truck past?

The driver got all PO'd. If I knew who it was I would have been tempted to send him the brocure of a truck driving school.
Fully loaded semitrailer and truck pulling it cannot slow as fast as you can. You either slow down, or go fast, but if you maintain the same speed you are putting both you and he in danger, and for the record, trucks that big usually "win."

Even when they are up against "huge" pick up trucks.

Peace Warrior
08-21-2012, 06:38
Legit question, not yet judging: who had the right of way, I.e. who did NOT have to merge?

In Houston I almost run other cars into rails all the time, their lane is ending and they must merge, but I don't have to hit my breaks or allow them to cut me off without any room for my safety. I just maintain my speed, or if there's just not much room ahead of me, but enough for an agile driver, I will accelerate to close the gap and protect myself from a cutoff.

If they're ahead of me with plenty of space I will let my foot off the gas, but I won't waste my gas or my brakes if I have the right of way.

Just in case (not assuming anything about you), the driver in the lane that is ending does NOT have the right of way.

I have my motorcycle endorsement but am currently without, just like my gun collection, I can't afford anything right now.

Another question: bikes have immense torque and can accelerate violently if needed, where you trying to pass him (coming from behind)? Since you're claiming to be the victim I'm assuming you were driving the speed limit in the non-ending lane and he came up behind you?

I can't point the finger and either say "what an ahole" or "you're the ahole" without more info, but lots of my younger friends with sport bikes are 99.99% the ahole-involved.
Unless otherwise posted, the rule of thumb (and rules of the road) state that the vehicle maintaining a lane and or closest to the solid YELLOW LINE has the right of way.

When this is not the case, due to some 'weird" parameter, it will 99.9% of the time be clearly evident from traffic pattern/directional signs.

Peace Warrior
08-21-2012, 06:40
... He was distracted playing with his toy camera when it happened. The above is a still from his video.

I was tuning in a distant overseas station on my HAM radio and scratching my beard when all of a sudden, totally oblivious to my truck's momentum, this guy on the scooter drifted into my path.

Which one of you was it? Just how I picture a run-of-the-mill GT'er.

He couldn't see what I was open-carrying.

He looked like an Obama supporter, but I'm still glad he got out of my way in time. The expression on his peachfuzz face was priceless!
:fred:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PettyOfficer
08-21-2012, 17:41
Unless otherwise posted, the rule of thumb (and rules of the road) state that the vehicle maintaining a lane and or closest to the solid YELLOW LINE has the right of way.

When this is not the case, due to some 'weird" parameter, it will 99.9% of the time be clearly evident from traffic pattern/directional signs.

Yup, the vehicle that is not being forced to merge has the right of way... The other vehicle that has to merge must yield.

tous
08-21-2012, 19:13
Okay, this be the OAF.

Half y'all on one side of the forum, the other half over there.
This group is kamikaze, ricer biker-donors, you others, oblivious cagers.

Meet in the middle on three ... last one standing gets to kiss Dinky.

One
Two
Three

concretefuzzynuts
08-21-2012, 19:20
I can't believe you posted this in the OAF!!

You have no class for defiling this superior forum.

MasterShake
08-21-2012, 21:16
He's content to be a POS. This was done on purpose.

ChuteTheMall
08-21-2012, 21:42

It was moved here from GnG, after 1:30 PM yesterday.

:threadmoved:

PettyOfficer
08-21-2012, 21:59

What is this Ox and Alex Forum?

Peace Warrior
08-22-2012, 02:29

I think it was moved to OAF by an alert Mod, or Admin, or owner. :whistling:

ETA: 'Era ya go.

Peace Warrior
08-22-2012, 02:33
The absolute bane, albeit humorously :cool:, of the internet!

concretefuzzynuts
08-22-2012, 02:40
I think it was moved to OAF by an alert Mod, or Admin, or owner. :whistling:

ETA: 'Era ya go.

My post was tongue in cheek.

Peace Warrior
08-22-2012, 02:53
Aren't they all? :cool:

concretefuzzynuts
08-22-2012, 02:56
Aren't they all? :cool:

Pretty much. :supergrin:

tous
08-22-2012, 04:39

This is the place where sheep and just plain folk come for entertainment and mutual support.

It is the home of Dinky, the sheep snuggler.

Guard your yogurt whilst you are here.

kirgi08
08-22-2012, 05:59
Don't forget the files.'08.

ChuteTheMall
08-22-2012, 07:03

Whose?

:shocked:

Dinky
08-22-2012, 08:39
This is the place where sheep and just plain folk come for entertainment and mutual support.

It is the home of Dinky, the sheep snuggler.

Guard your yogurt whilst you are here.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl75c_ygQnx_09IQ4VQePUeKVtx7SGh18K8-x2LmdhGG1oZNXZ&t=1

Dinky
08-22-2012, 08:42
Okay, this be the OAF.

Half y'all on one side of the forum, the other half over there.
This group is kamikaze, ricer biker-donors, you others, oblivious cagers.

Meet in the middle on three ... last one standing gets to kiss Dinky.

One
Two
Three

http://www.photo-dictionary.com/photofiles/list/637/1045lips.jpg

concretefuzzynuts
08-22-2012, 10:25
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w459/concretefuzzynuts/sheep.jpg

concretefuzzynuts
08-22-2012, 10:29
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w459/concretefuzzynuts/sheep2.jpg

Eurodriver
08-22-2012, 11:24
I was not driving recklessly.

PettyOfficer
08-22-2012, 12:26

Show us frames from the video for the preceding 10 seconds... Our money is that you were trying to pass the old guy as your lane was ending.

concretefuzzynuts
08-22-2012, 17:14
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w459/concretefuzzynuts/the-funniest-of-all-times05.jpg

NeverMore1701
08-22-2012, 17:40
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w459/concretefuzzynuts/the-funniest-of-all-times05.jpg

Didn't know you were in AJ's area!

ChuteTheMall
08-22-2012, 22:06
Show us frames from the video for the preceding 10 seconds... Our money is that you were trying to pass the old guy as your lane was ending.

Nope, I think he was gradually slowing down in front of the mature gentleman in an effort to annoy him.

Blast
08-22-2012, 23:02
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vZBPXwzb8P0/Tj8Omht0qcI/AAAAAAAADHI/MAGaJqTrlW8/s1600/gubbe.jpg

Peace Warrior
08-23-2012, 08:54
Was this still from the video taken before or after the truck encounter?

Peace Warrior
08-23-2012, 08:56
I don't know what it is with ewe OAF guys and sheep...:dunno:

matt_lowry123
08-23-2012, 11:47
He had the right away, if you're getting onto the ramp or whatever that is. You should never assume that somebody in a car will yield for you. Be careful or it could cost you your life. Why are you that close to the wall? It looks like you're a foot away from it

PettyOfficer
08-23-2012, 12:20
He had the right away, if you're getting onto the ramp or whatever that is. You should never assume that somebody in a car will yield for you. Be careful or it could cost you your life. Why are you that close to the wall? It looks like you're a foot away from it

He thinks he's invincible and trying to intimidate the cager. He's that close because he didn't was to acquiesce.

Jack23
08-23-2012, 12:52
This is the exact reason we got off. Where we live it is just to crowded and we were having entirely too many close calls. 4-wheelers just don't watch where they are going or what's happening around them.

If we lived in a more rural area we'd still be riding. But where we live you have to travel for 2 hours or more in any direction to get to some place where it's safe to ride.

Veedubklown
08-23-2012, 12:56

Looks like he was right to me. You are the smallest, most insignificant spec of road dirt out there, the sooner you realize that, the better. Every car IS trying to kill you, even the ones going the other way. You need more than just ability to ride, you need to be on the lookout for every jerk in a car. Even sweet old ladies want you dead. Ride safe, rubber side down.

Glad you came out on top, I hate motorcycle crashes. After a couple, I thank my stars every time I watch one, that mine weren't much much worse.

ReyFufuRulesAll
09-03-2012, 00:37

I will always remember what my dad told me: "Right-of-way always belongs to the vehicle that is bigger or cheaper."

Ride defensively & attentively, and you shouldn't have an issue. Ride agressively or assume right-of-way, and they'll be picking you up with a spatula.

HiddenEyes
09-03-2012, 10:06
Don't forget the files.'08.

What files????:dunno:

Mr. HE:cool:

HiddenEyes
09-03-2012, 10:09
As to OP...

Don't know what happened, but pic could lead one to believe you were in the wrong.

Maybe you were right, almost dead right. Last motorcycle accident I went to the medics picked up the larger pieces and then the fire department hosed the rest off into the ditch. That guy was in the right too, but he still lost the argument.

Mr. HE:cool:

Keoking
09-03-2012, 10:18
I will always remember what my dad told me: "Right-of-way always belongs to the vehicle that is bigger or cheaper."

Truer words have never been spoken. A 200 year old Datsun is far more dangerous than a Navigator in many circumstances. They just don't care.

ChuteTheMall
09-03-2012, 18:17
Truer words have never been spoken. A 200 year old Datsun is far more dangerous than a Navigator in many circumstances. They just don't care.

I didn't know they lasted that long.:fred:

xArcher
09-03-2012, 19:42

Let me guess; right lane ends, sign says merge left.

Rode a bike for years. RIGHT LANE MERGES, left lane has the right of way.

ChuteTheMall
09-03-2012, 19:53
Nobody has the right of way until it is yielded to him.