Air Guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Air Guns

wjv
08-20-2012, 11:15
I have a nice Crossman single shot pump pistol that has been reliable for years.

I was thinking that a nice air rifle would be a good addition to my preps.

- quiet
- good for hunting small game
- ammo is cheap

Just looking at the local sporting goods store is seem that the .177 are far more common than the .22 caliber guns. The .177 also seem to be able to generate higher fps (1,000+ fps vs 650 fps)

Ideally I'd like to find a quality pump action (no co2) in .22 that can hit near 1,000 fps. Does anybody make such a critter?

Recommendations?

Thanks!

FLA45fan
08-20-2012, 19:36
I've got a Benjimin Titan GP in .22 that I bought at Wally world for $150. It came with a 4x scope and it is a break barrel. This is one of the quietest air rifles I have ever shot and has taken small game at over 50 yards easily. Now I did upgrade the scope to a 4-16x40 scope which has helped my aging eyes place heads shots on most game (chipmonks, squirrels, rabbits, and raccoons). I have even scored my first hit in over twenty years on the elusive crow with it. It's rather sexy looking with a thumbhole stock and a muzzle brake. I have been using the Crossman Premium Hollow Points (also wallyworld) exclusively and am very satisfied. My last hunter was a side lever Air Arms in .177 with a 2.5x scope that cost 3x that 25 years ago and was LOUD. Air rifles are a different beast - a good forum on them is the GTA Air Gun forum. check them out, esp. the hunting forum!

lawman800
08-21-2012, 00:00
I bought a Gamo Whisper which can put out a .177 at speeds over 1,000-1,200 fps depending on the pellet. It's not quiet though, but it is the most quiet one in that power range.

I wouldn't think it too useful for ultra quiet operation, but neither are those other ones in the 600-800fps range. You will still hear it.

Maine1
08-21-2012, 00:44
I use 22 cb Long in my 22 lr, its jsut as quiet if not moreso out of a rifle. Kills better too. and I still have a 22 with a mag change.

lawman800
08-21-2012, 00:49
I use 22 cb Long in my 22 lr, its jsut as quiet if not moreso out of a rifle. Kills better too. and I still have a 22 with a mag change.

What rifle?

I only find bolt actions that can do that.

Akita
08-22-2012, 06:32
RWS model 48. 1000fps 17cal. Consistantly hit pecans at 20yds, and thats with Me shooting; ie its better than that. Have used mine since the mid 80s to keep the squirrels out of my pear trees.

Steff1
08-23-2012, 05:30
Although this item has been discussed in previous threads, go check out Pyramid Air to see high end, large caliber air guns.

actionshooter10
08-23-2012, 11:33
+1 for RWS.

I have the Diana model.

As mentioned above, it's not the quietest rifle.

I'd go with a suppressed .22 if it's in your price range and legal in your state.

Least "bang" for your buck...;)

Ruble Noon
08-23-2012, 16:10
I have a nice Crossman single shot pump pistol that has been reliable for years.

- quiet
- ammo is cheap

Just looking at the local sporting goods store is seem that the .177 are far more common than the .22 caliber guns. The .177 also seem to be able to generate higher fps (1,000+ fps vs 650 fps)

Ideally I'd like to find a quality pump action (no co2) in .22 that can hit near 1,000 fps. Does anybody make such a critter?

Recommendations?

Thanks!

http://www.compasseco.com/trail-1100-caliber-p-1803.html

RWBlue
08-23-2012, 17:48
- quiet
- ammo is cheap

There are a couple options.
For a springer, I have had my eyes on a RWS 54 for some time. It will be louder than the other options, but it will be my first springer is a long time. Assuming I do my part it should be accurate and be able to kill rabbits and squirrels at short distances with head shots. For this option, I would go with an Air rifle specific scope.

But on to what I have.....
I have a multi-pump steroid with peep site. This is a semi-custom rifle, so.... Mine will go supersonic with all but the heaviest pellets. (Ely solids are more like a pulled 22LR bullet than a pellet.)
http://www.mac1airgun.com/steriodags.html
This is a multi-pump setup and will wear a guy down if you are shooting against people who are using a sinlge pump or PCP rifle.

My PCP is a Career II 707. It pushes pellets out at more than 1200FPS and is VERY accurate. This of course is something I fed with a scuba tank, but you could punp it up if you really really wanted to. It is a lever gun, so if I miss with the first shot, I could shoot again quickly. And my 22LR suppressor will fit it so this option is VERY VERY quiet.

So it all depends on what you want to do.

RWBlue
08-23-2012, 17:51
Now, if you have money and want something to kill large game.....you need a bigger bore. For probably 10 years, I keep hearing that big bore air rifles which will shoot round ball or conical are just around the corner. And they will be cheap and at the store near you.

Well, when I get to someplace I can shoot again......I am going to buy one of the custom ones.

Steff1
08-24-2012, 12:43
They're here, but not cheap at $699

Warp
08-24-2012, 14:27
I'd still rather use a .22lr with the appropriate ammo for the situation.

My Benjamin-Sheridan .22 pump air rifle is as loud/louder than my 10/22 with low noise/quiet/etc ammo...and I'm pretty sure the 10/22 is more powerful and more accurate.

jarubla
09-02-2012, 19:46
Anyone shot a Benjamin Discovery or Marauder? Anything long term about the pcp rifles me needs to know?

Thx in advance,
Jay

SFCSMITH(RET)
09-02-2012, 21:20
Now, if you have money and want something to kill large game.....you need a bigger bore. For probably 10 years, I keep hearing that big bore air rifles which will shoot round ball or conical are just around the corner. And they will be cheap and at the store near you.

Not just around the corner. In fact not even new. Lewis and Clark carried one with them, took quite a bit of game with it. My brother has a .44 caliber air rifle he has had for several years. Not cheap though.

Girandoni air rifle as used by Lewis and Clark. A National Firearms Museum Treasure Gun. - YouTube

Big bores for sale..

9mm: http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Air_rifles/150/calibers_0_357

.45: http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Air_rifles/150/calibers_0_45

.50: http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Air_rifles/150/calibers_0_5

jdavionic
09-02-2012, 21:37
What rifle?

I only find bolt actions that can do that.

I've used CB rounds out of my 10/22. They are too weak to cycle the bolt, which is a good thing. It makes it more quiet.

lawman800
09-02-2012, 22:48
I've used CB rounds out of my 10/22. They are too weak to cycle the bolt, which is a good thing. It makes it more quiet.

They feed reliably with the shorter length though?

jdavionic
09-03-2012, 06:30
They feed reliably with the shorter length though?

I don't think I understand your question...so I'll apologize up front if I'm not answering it.

Not sure what you mean by "shorter length". If you mean shorter length ammunition, my 10/22 will only accept long rifle ammo and aside from the CB rounds, everything else cycles fine. On the CBs, I have to manually cycle the bolt assembly.

If you mean shorter length firearms or barrels, I don't know. The only .22 LR firearm that I have is a very old Ruger 10/22...it was my first rifle that I got before I was a teenager. So it's over 35 yrs old. I don't recall what the barrel length is on it.

If I missed the boat on your question, let me know and I'll give it another try.

BTW - Aguila makes subsonic ammo as well. I haven't tried it in my 10/22. Perhaps it has enough power to cycle the gun. To me, the advantage of not cycling the bolt is that you get less noise. Of course, the disadvantage is that you have to manually cycle each round.

lawman800
09-03-2012, 11:29
My bad, I thought you were talking about using CB 22Long or even the CB 22Short in a 10/22 which I also have. I have a hard enough time getting it to feed the regular lead nose LR rounds as is with that missing feed ramp.

SilverCity
09-03-2012, 18:19
I'm with Warp on this topic.

I tried to like them. I once owned a nice Feinwerkbau and an RWS. But, I gave up on pellet rifles cuz I have a pair of .22LR boltguns (Marlin and CZ) that will shoot quieter, more accurately, and hit harder at longer range with CB caps than any pellet rifle I know of. Not more cheaply, but more effective, IMO.

I still have an old Crossman .177/BB rifle for shizz and grins.

SC

RWBlue
09-03-2012, 21:34
Anyone shot a Benjamin Discovery or Marauder? Anything long term about the pcp rifles me needs to know?

Thx in advance,
Jay

Like mine, I believe the air tanks are steel. If I feed it from a scuba tank filled at a scuba shop, I am ok. If I pump it full of humid air....rust.

When my seals die, I will have little to no support.

With Benjamin....maybe you will have support.

RWBlue
09-03-2012, 21:44
Not just around the corner. In fact not even new. Lewis and Clark carried one with them, took quite a bit of game with it. My brother has a .44 caliber air rifle he has had for several years. Not cheap though.

Girandoni air rifle as used by Lewis and Clark. A National Firearms Museum Treasure Gun. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI)

Big bores for sale..

9mm: http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Air_rifles/150/calibers_0_357

.45: http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Air_rifles/150/calibers_0_45

.50: http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Air_rifles/150/calibers_0_5

If I could get a Girandoni air rifle as used by Lewis and Clark clone.

The others not so much.

Bushflyr
09-03-2012, 22:27
My bad, I thought you were talking about using CB 22Long or even the CB 22Short in a 10/22 which I also have. I have a hard enough time getting it to feed the regular lead nose LR rounds as is with that missing feed ramp.

He was talking about that. I use .22 Gallery shorts in my 10/22 all the time. They don't cycle the bolt, they don't "feed," you drop them in the chamber and close the bolt on them. Way quieter than just about any air gun except maybe a suppressed one.

lawman800
09-04-2012, 08:42
He was talking about that. I use .22 Gallery shorts in my 10/22 all the time. They don't cycle the bolt, they don't "feed," you drop them in the chamber and close the bolt on them. Way quieter than just about any air gun except maybe a suppressed one.

Interesting. Hand feeding a semi. I thought he was talking about hand cycling each one in from the magazine and I was wondering how the headspace chambers with it.

Bushflyr
09-04-2012, 11:59
...I was wondering how the headspace chambers with it.

What? .22 spaces off the rim. Length doesn't matter.

lawman800
09-04-2012, 12:05
What? .22 spaces off the rim. Length doesn't matter.

Sorry, worded it totally wrong.

I mean, if it fed from the magazine, how does it gap the extra distance from the bullet tip into the chamber reliably... which makes total sense if you just hand feed each round instead of having to manually cycle from the magazine.

callihan_44
09-04-2012, 16:13
rws diana 34 .22 cal works great with the new trigger, dont even use a .22 rimfire anymore. Many dead rabbits/squirrels too with it... never seen an ammo shortage with a pellet rifle

RWBlue
09-04-2012, 20:25
never seen an ammo shortage with a pellet rifle

I have always wondered how the new lead laws will effect that.

lawman800
09-04-2012, 20:46
NJ already considers airguns to be firearms and you need a permit. CA won't be far behind.