Last round hanging up in my 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Last round hanging up in my 1911

BearZ061
08-20-2012, 15:39
I have a 1911 springfield champion model. Yesterday I went shooting with this and my new to me glock gen 3 19. The glock had no issues,except that I could not hit squat. Im to use to my 1911 which I do pretty good with. Anyway I just bought 2 new chip mccormick power mags that I used with the 1911 and sometimes on the last round slow fire only that last round would hang up in the barrel half way with the slide half locked up. If I fire fast thru the whole mag it did not do it. Using blazer brass and golden sabre ammo did the same. The factory mags never did that. Could the springs be to weak in the chip mags ? That what it seems like. The bullet did not have enough force on it to push it into the barrel and left it half way in and out. Any thoughts.

countrygun
08-20-2012, 16:11
I have a 1911 springfield champion model. Yesterday I went shooting with this and my new to me glock gen 3 19. The glock had no issues,except that I could not hit squat. Im to use to my 1911 which I do pretty good with. Anyway I just bought 2 new chip mccormick power mags that I used with the 1911 and sometimes on the last round slow fire only that last round would hang up in the barrel half way with the slide half locked up. If I fire fast thru the whole mag it did not do it. Using blazer brass and golden sabre ammo did the same. The factory mags never did that. Could the springs be to weak in the chip mags ? That what it seems like. The bullet did not have enough force on it to push it into the barrel and left it half way in and out. Any thoughts.

I have got to say that I think part of the issue is a grip problem, specifically becase you say it didn't happen in rapid fire. The mechanics are the same inside the gun for each round since they don't know how fast the rounds before them were fired.

The mag spring would have nothing to do with the round itself one the case leaves the mag. unless the folwer was rising too high and dragging the slide , which would be obvious and, again wouldn't be affected by slow fire or rapid fire.

seanmac45
08-20-2012, 16:45
How long since your last recoil spring change?

Sound as though you might be due.

brisk21
08-20-2012, 16:53
Try Wilson Combat or Tripp Research mags. They have skirted followers which help eliminate "tilt" of the follower. This will probably solve your problem.

BearZ061
08-20-2012, 17:17
How long since your last recoil spring change?

Sound as though you might be due.

I bought the gun used 2 years ago. Gun production date was 1997. Not sure how old the spring is.

BearZ061
08-20-2012, 17:20
Try Wilson Combat or Tripp Research mags. They have skirted followers which help eliminate "tilt" of the follower. This will probably solve your problem.

Skirted followers, I need to research this. Thanks !

BearZ061
08-20-2012, 17:26
I have got to say that I think part of the issue is a grip problem, specifically becase you say it didn't happen in rapid fire. The mechanics are the same inside the gun for each round since they don't know how fast the rounds before them were fired.

The mag spring would have nothing to do with the round itself one the case leaves the mag. unless the folwer was rising too high and dragging the slide , which would be obvious and, again wouldn't be affected by slow fire or rapid fire.

I never thought about that. Could you explain more in detail ?
I would think if I had a gripping issue it would do it on all rounds. It is never to late learn something new so I'm all ears Also I do not believe I am limp wristing.
Thanks !

seanmac45
08-20-2012, 20:35
I bought the gun used 2 years ago. Gun production date was 1997. Not sure how old the spring is.

Call Wolff Gunsprings. Give them the make and model of your pistol. They will advise what spring to purchase. This is the best and most economical first step for you to take.

ca survivor
08-22-2012, 12:08
start with a new spring and see.

jnc54
08-22-2012, 12:13
I had the same problem with Chip McCormack mags I purchased for my 1911. Got me some Wilson Combat 47D mags. Problem solved.

fnfalman
08-22-2012, 12:14
A new recoil spring is cheap, so even if the gun doesn't need it, it's still cheap investment.

However, I would agree with countrygun's assessment. When people do rapid fire, they automatically tighten up on the grip and locking their arms. THey may not do the same for "regular" shooting.

BearZ061
08-22-2012, 18:11
Going to get another spring and try a different mag,thanks.

Zombie Steve
08-23-2012, 08:47
I seriously doubt the McCormick mags don't have enough spring behind 'em. Take one apart next to a Wilson mag... the wilson spring looks like a joke compared to the McCormick.

I run 8 round powermags all the time in matches (as well as Wilsons, fellas - didn't say they were bad mags). No issues in either of my 1911's.

:dunno:

fuzzy03cls
08-23-2012, 11:43
I have the same thing with some of my chip McCormick 8rd mags. From what I can tell the followers are tilting just enough to make the round jam. It's always the last round.
Doesn't happen all the time to me either. Seems to be random.

plouffedaddy
08-23-2012, 12:53
I never thought about that. Could you explain more in detail ?
I would think if I had a gripping issue it would do it on all rounds. It is never to late learn something new so I'm all ears Also I do not believe I am limp wristing.
Thanks !

I doubt it's the grip from what you're saying but here's about as good an explaination as I can give you:

Proper Semi Auto Handgun Grip Instruction (HD) - YouTube

fnfalman
08-23-2012, 13:14
Or maybe that gun simply doesn't work with the Power Mag.

Doughnutman_923
08-25-2012, 09:12
I didn't read any other replies....but, my 1911 did the same thing. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Even bought a new mag spring and it STILL did it!

Then I changed my recoil spring and it works perfect now!