Range Report: Colt Mustang Pocketlite [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: Colt Mustang Pocketlite

Paul7
08-20-2012, 19:18
After being disappointed in the Ruger LCP (totally unreliable) and Kel-Tec .380, I bought a Colt Mustang Pocketlite at my LGS for $594. No photo, but here it is:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/Colt380MustangPocketlite.aspx

This is supposed to have many improvements over the old Mustang, including a forged bar stock slide as opposed to the cast slide of the old model. Fit and finish are impressive. Mag release cleared the magazine (two included) easily from the gun. Safety offers just enough resistance. The sights are better than the Ruger/KT, and there is a bit of contrast for higher visibility as the rear sight outline is black and the front site is matte gray like the rest of the top of the slide. The gray finish on the frame is not slick but seems slightly grabby, which is a good thing. My two middle fingers fit around the checked plastic grips, while my little finger fit nicely underneath the grip for support. The grip panels are wider than the LCP/KT, but that makes the Pocketlite waaay more comfortable to shoot. Of course the 1911-style trigger is much easier to shoot. Slide locks back after last shot.

I had no trouble bouncing a tin can at 7 yards, and target groups at that range were three inches. No malfunctions with 75 rounds, including JHPs.

This is the first time I've ever enjoyed shooting a .380, and it is now on my 'never sell' list. IMHO it's like the .380 equivalent of a high-end 1911. Check it out if you're in the market for a .380. I know everyone has a different budget, but for me it is worth the extra money over the competitors.

PS Another interesting feature, unlike a 1911, in cocked and locked you can rack the slide back. In case you want to hand cycle some JHP ammo, for instance, you can safely do it.

Dawolf
08-20-2012, 19:29
As it very light, is it pretty snappy? My wife hated her LCP for just that reason. Oh yeah and she hated the trigger, too. Sh has a Sig P-38, not as snappy and much better trigger, but it is heavier than your pocketlite.

MLittle
08-20-2012, 19:30
Just curious......did you consider the Sig P238, and if so, why did you go with the Colt?

collim1
08-20-2012, 19:52
Recently got my dad a P238. I was very impressed. It is very soft shooting and has the accuracy of a much longer gun.

I am not a fan of .380's or semi-auto pocket guns, but if I had to pick one the Mustang/P238 would be it.

Paul7
08-20-2012, 20:01
As it very light, is it pretty snappy? My wife hated her LCP for just that reason. Oh yeah and she hated the trigger, too. Sh has a Sig P-38, not as snappy and much better trigger, but it is heavier than your pocketlite.

Much less snappy than the LCP, and a lot better trigger.

Paul7
08-20-2012, 20:02
Just curious......did you consider the Sig P238, and if so, why did you go with the Colt?

I like the looks of the Colt better, and read of a lot of reliability problems with the P238, none with the new Pocketlite. I have to believe the Colt will also have better resale value. They're getting crazy prices for the old Mustangs.

Here are a couple samples of the Sig problems:

http://www.handgunforum.net/sig-sauer/26197-sig-p238-problem.html

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=325502

RYT 2BER
08-20-2012, 21:46
Looks very nice, but I personally never understood the desire for a hammered cocked and locked gun for pocket carry.

Hard enough getting a gun out of the pocket.... But with a cocked hammer???

No thx.

NeverMore1701
08-20-2012, 21:53
Looks very nice, but I personally never understood the desire for a hammered cocked and locked gun for pocket carry.

No thx.

Been carrying a P238 for over a year, replaced a P3AT that I had for about two. No difference in the draw between the two except flicking off the safety on the way to target. Second nature after 50 draws, if that. Plus much easier to shoot accurately thanks to the sights, trigger, grips, and ever so slightly heavier weight.

Paul7
08-21-2012, 04:50

No thx.

The hammer blends in with the little 'beavertail' and is no big deal. I prefer that extra level of safety.

My only complaint with it is the cratered roll marks on the slide, but you get that with all new Colts these days.

ca survivor
08-21-2012, 07:23
I had a unreliable Ruger LCP too, now have the Sig 238, enjoy your Mustang.

Paul7
08-21-2012, 07:41
I had a unreliable Ruger LCP too, now have the Sig 238, enjoy your Mustang.

The Sig looks like it has nice sights.

SigFTW
08-21-2012, 08:20
Nice report!

I like the look of the Colt Mustang, with the hammer and beavertail :thumbsup:

HexHead
08-21-2012, 08:47
I've got an original steel frame Mustang, and it's an absolute pleasure to shoot. A friend of mine has a new Pocketlite, I haven't shot it, but it looks nicely done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/scat999999/misc/DSC_0007.jpg

racer88
08-21-2012, 15:04
My Pony Pocketlight. I got it around 1994, if I recall correctly.

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/IMG_0747.jpg

ca survivor
08-21-2012, 16:00
yes it does, maybe that is why 238s are very accurate it has big gun sights.

NeverMore1701
08-21-2012, 16:42

That's the biggest thing the Sig has over the Colt IMO, full size night sights.

Houdini
08-21-2012, 16:51
[I] have the old one its my carry gun for the summer, a great gun.

Paul7
08-21-2012, 16:52
That's the biggest thing the Sig has over the Colt IMO, full size night sights.

The Colt Custom shop will put those on the Mustang, I may want to do that if my eyes get much older, although I would think for its purpose it would be pretty much a point and shoot gun. The average CCW fight is supposed to be 3 feet, 3 shots, 3 seconds.

For you Sig .380 owners, how has the reliability been?

Glock40man
08-21-2012, 16:57
Thanks for the report.

Congrats on the new Colt!:cool:

NeverMore1701
08-21-2012, 17:02
The Colt Custom shop will put those on the Mustang, I may want to do that if my eyes get much older, although I would think for its purpose it would be pretty much a point and shoot gun. The average CCW fight is supposed to be 3 feet, 3 shots, 3 seconds.

For you Sig .380 owners, how has the reliability been?

1 FTE and 1 FTF in the first couple of mags, perfect over the next 500 rounds.

Berto
08-21-2012, 18:14
Thanks for doing the report, I'm glad Colt is putting out some decent pistols. Hopefully they'll jump back into the revolver game a little more too.

BamaTrooper
08-21-2012, 20:38

No thx.

In this instance, a cocked hammer is better than a spur hammer that is hammer down. Gun is narrower than revolver, has a better grip than the Ruger/Keltec.... in a good pocket holster, it carries and draws well.

John Eastwood
08-21-2012, 20:54
Just not a fan of anything in .380. Dog in the neighborhood took 2 to the shoulder and 1 to the head at almost point-blank range just before it would even slow down...

Paul7
08-22-2012, 09:42
Just not a fan of anything in .380. Dog in the neighborhood took 2 to the shoulder and 1 to the head at almost point-blank range just before it would even slow down...

Very few animals drop dead when shot. A friend of mine has killed over 40 whitetail deer and has seen it happen once.

Here's a couple of thugs who didn't get the GT memo that a .380 is useless for self defense:

Armed Senior Shuts Down Armed Robbers - YouTube

I forgot to mention a neat feature of the Pocketlike, unlike a 1911, in cocked and locked you can rack the slide back. In case you want to hand cycle some JHP ammo, for instance, you can safely do it.

wjv
08-22-2012, 10:49
Here's a couple of thugs who didn't get the GT memo that a .380 is useless for self defense:

That old guy gave em hell. Good for him!! Who the heck robs an Internet Cafe?

Berto
08-22-2012, 18:49
That old guy gave em hell. Good for him!! Who the heck robs an Internet Cafe?

Geek thugs.

fnfalman
08-22-2012, 22:02

Why go with a copy when you can go with the original?

nelsone
08-23-2012, 01:59
If only they made one with an ambi safety. You know that 1/7 of the world is left-handed, right? Left, I mean?

Paul7
08-23-2012, 07:41
If only they made one with an ambi safety. You know that 1/7 of the world is left-handed, right? Left, I mean?

It's only about 10%, although I do hear a higher percentage of leftys are geniuses, if it makes you feel better.

rv4driver
08-23-2012, 21:01
My wife's LCP has been flawless, and biggest surprise of all, she loves it and shoots it well. I think a lot of it is the weight. She purse carries, and hates extra weight.
I'm really interested in either the P238 or Mustang, but it's hard to let go of the Kimber Solo 9 Carry, but it's really too big for pocket carry. I really need to try one of the 380's. The LCP just disappeared in my pocket.