Ar15? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ar15?

collim1
08-20-2012, 19:50
I have fallen in love with a less common AR variant. For some reason I want a 16" upper with a full length handguard, full length gas tube and fixed A1 stock. I really like the longer sight radius. I am not a tac team officer, this will be a range gun/4 wheeler gun when on the hunting property.

Not much luck finding one, but I found a local shop that can order direct from the manufacturer for a decent price. Only problem is the lower is a two week order and the upper is 12-15weeks.

Good news is the total price will be very reasonable. Does anyone else like the "Dissipator" models? If yes, why?

I had two shops tell me I was dumb and need a regular M4orgery because they are easier to maneuver on tactical entries. I quickly left.

GLOCK17DB9
08-20-2012, 19:52
good for you! Im not a fan of the AR you describe but it is your gun, your choice not mine. go with your instinct.:wavey:

Trey83
08-20-2012, 19:59
I'm not a fan of the Dissy look but that's what is great about the AR platform....There is something for everyone. What brand is he selling? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is the price?

NEOH212
08-20-2012, 20:01
While I'm a fan of the M4, I really like my 20" guns in the traditional A2 configuration. I just enjoy shooting them more.

collim1
08-20-2012, 20:07
I'm not a fan of the Dissy look but that's what is great about the AR platform....There is something for everyone. What brand is he selling? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is the price?

CMMG just announced their release of this model hence the wait time. Right now they are only selling them as an upper, which is why I have to buy the A1 lower separate.

Upper is gonna be ~$600 and lower ~$270. That is a rough estimate based on MSRP on the website vs what my LGS is gonna charge me.

They put the order in, but since it is a newly released item the price is not definite yet, based on demand. Gonna get a real quote next week.

Good news is they do not order from distributors, only from the mfgr.

Powder
08-20-2012, 20:16
Just build what you want. Putting together an AR is like child's play............

08-20-2012, 20:19
Love the Dissy AR. Here's my Spike's 16 inch lightweight Dissy.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/qavsiv/ERG/ar//ERspikedissymoe01.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/qavsiv/ERG/ar//ERspikedissymoe05.jpg

collim1
08-20-2012, 20:22
While I'm a fan of the M4, I really like my 20" guns in the traditional A2 configuration. I just enjoy shooting them more.

Looked at two preban HBAR Colts today for $1700+ and they were HEAVY, like M1A heavy. Also did not like the target crown barrel vs the flash hider.

GAFinch
08-20-2012, 20:29
Looked at two preban HBAR Colts today for $1700+ and they were HEAVY, like M1A heavy. Also did not like the target crown barrel vs the flash hider.

I just got a very good quality FN A2 surplus upper from Ohio Ordnance for a nice price. If it's gonna be used outdoors, I'd want the greater effective range from a 20" barrel.

ETA: A 20" AR with an A2 stock is still shorter than a 20" shotgun.

NEOH212
08-20-2012, 20:32

Mine have the heavy barrel but the standard A2 flash hider. I have one Colt and one Bushmaster. They both shoot about the same. I have a geissele trigger in the Bushmaster and I enjoy shooting it a little more because of it.

I recently acquired the Colt for $800 used from a private seller. It has some rounds through it but still shoots great. They do have some weight to them don't they!

mac9990
08-20-2012, 21:10
I prefer the A2 look, also. I have a 16" midlength heavy barrel with removable carry handle, fixed shorty stock. Next is a 20" A3 upper.

WoodenPlank
08-20-2012, 22:51
I have fallen in love with a less common AR variant. For some reason I want a 16" upper with a full length handguard, full length gas tube and fixed A1 stock. I really like the longer sight radius. I am not a tac team officer, this will be a range gun/4 wheeler gun when on the hunting property.

Not much luck finding one, but I found a local shop that can order direct from the manufacturer for a decent price. Only problem is the lower is a two week order and the upper is 12-15weeks.

Good news is the total price will be very reasonable. Does anyone else like the "Dissipator" models? If yes, why?

I had two shops tell me I was dumb and need a regular M4orgery because they are easier to maneuver on tactical entries. I quickly left.

Original style dissipators (ie: Functional rifle length gas system) often had cycling issues because the gas port is far too close to the muzzle. I would STRONGLY suggest getting a "mock" dissipator. It's a 16" upper with an A-frame in the rifle length gas position, rifle handguards, but a mid-length gas system and a low-profile gas block hidden under the handguards. It looks exactly like an old-school dissipator, but with the better function of a mid-length gas system. Palmetto State offers them, along with a few others.

Finally, I would suggest avoiding CMMG. They have been known for hit-and-miss quality on their uppers (especially improperly cut chambers). We've also had 2 people post in the Black Rifle Forum lately about problems with their CMMG lowers not being machined correctly.

Big Mad Dawg
08-21-2012, 00:12
Original style dissipators (ie: Functional rifle length gas system) often had cycling issues because the gas port is far too close to the muzzle. I would STRONGLY suggest getting a "mock" dissipator. It's a 16" upper with an A-frame in the rifle length gas position, rifle handguards, but a mid-length gas system and a low-profile gas block hidden under the handguards. It looks exactly like an old-school dissipator, but with the better function of a mid-length gas system. Palmetto State offers them, along with a few others.

Finally, I would suggest avoiding CMMG. They have been known for hit-and-miss quality on their uppers (especially improperly cut chambers). We've also had 2 people post in the Black Rifle Forum lately about problems with their CMMG lowers not being machined correctly.

This is good advice there are better options at better prices than what you are looking at.

Never buy a new model of any kind in the first year you will be the QC for the company in this case a company that has at times not the best rep.

boomhower
08-21-2012, 07:26
Spikes makes one. BCM has been talking about making one for a long time, not sure if they've started or not. If your sticking with iron sights it's the perfect platform. Rifle length sight radius in a carbine sized gun.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk