New 1911 advice. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New 1911 advice.

NEOH212
08-20-2012, 20:45
Ok everyone. As many of you are aware, I'm not exactly a 1911 gal. However, I do have a appreciation for good high end factory 1911's and custom 1911's alike.

Next year, I'm thinking on purchasing another 1911. I will be wanting to stay at the $2,000 and up mark. I already had a Ed Brown Executive Target that I loved.

I have a few guns in mind but I would like your input before I reveal which brands and models I'm looking at to get a more unbiased opinion from all of you.

Make a recommendation on a new semi-custom/custom 1911 and why.

Thanks guys!

:wavey:

glock2740
08-20-2012, 20:50
I truly believe that Guncrafter is building the best dollar for gun semi-custom 1911 out there right now. I have quite a few upper end 1911's from several different makers and the Guncrafter No Name is among the best there is IMO. :cool:

Screaming .357G
08-20-2012, 22:43
Les Baer TRS or ultimate tactical carry without the front cocking serrations (devils claw marks). Why is easy.... I have yet to find any type of ammo that it wont feed 100% even using a stock springfield or kimber mag ;) it just works and will feed/extract anything including empty cases.

I have owned 4 Kimber TLE's, a Springfield TRP, colts, and a number of others with nothing that even comes close. The Wilsons and Browns look a little better around the edges but I have never had a 1911 that has been this reliable. 7,000 rounds plus without a hickup.

SPIN2010
08-20-2012, 23:02
As an Executive Elite owner I have to ask: What other 1911 is there? :whistling:

Wilson CQB Elite maybe (higher than target price)?

bac1023
08-20-2012, 23:04
I say Guncrafter or Springfield Custom.

youngdocglock
08-20-2012, 23:04
Les baer. Nuff said. Or Dw.

I have made this post on my phone. If I spell like a two year old. Blame Android. Not me :)

majette
08-20-2012, 23:13
springfield pro.

glock_19guy1983
08-20-2012, 23:23
Ill be ordering a Wilson CQB as soon as I can afford it, you may want to look into wilson.

GOOFA
08-21-2012, 02:54
I truly believe that Guncrafter is building the best dollar for gun semi-custom 1911 out there right now. I have quite a few upper end 1911's from several different makers and the Guncrafter No Name is among the best there is IMO. :cool:

I say Guncrafter or Springfield Custom.

I agree 100% with both of these fine Gentlemen.

glock2740
08-21-2012, 05:31
Les Baer TRS or ultimate tactical carry without the front cocking serrations (devils claw marks). Why is easy.... I have yet to find any type of ammo that it wont feed 100% even using a stock springfield or kimber mag ;) it just works and will feed/extract anything including empty cases.

The Baer TRS is definately a great choice. Especially without FCS/DCM's :) I like mine alot.

sawgrass
08-21-2012, 07:07
I don't really know enough to offer much of an opinion but
of the eight 1911's that I own I like my Les Baer SRP the best. It has shot anything that I've put in it accurately without any issues.

My Springfield TRP is taking some time to break in and has been picky with reloads. I finally have that worked out.

I have a Colt that spent some time at Novak and it's smooth and crisp.

I have an older Kimber Eclipse that has been smithed a little and it shoots almost as well as the LB. It's my second favorite.

What I am pretty sure of though, is that when you find the 'one', you might become a 1911 girl for real. They seem to be fairly addictive.

Bac's buying guide is full of useful information. You can find it on his posts. I talked with CJ at 1911heaven yesterday for about an hour. He asked me a lot of questions and made me feel that he is far more than a salesman. You might get some good info to assist with your decision from him.

NEOH212
08-22-2012, 02:29
In the semi-custom category, I've been looking at Guncrafter.

In the custom category, I've been looking hard at the Les Baer guns.

I'm not too sure on a exact model yet. Wilson isn't out of the question. I'm also thinking this 1911 will be a commander.

Any model suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

NEOH212
08-22-2012, 02:30
While I'm at it, any thoughts on Colt's custom shop?

GOOFA
08-22-2012, 03:32
In the semi-custom category, I've been looking at Guncrafter.

In the custom category, I've been looking hard at the Les Baer guns.

FYI... Guncrafter is closer to being a custom piece than Les Baer. Both are excellent firearms and semi custom with Guncrafter arguably at the top.

glock_19guy1983
08-22-2012, 06:47
While I'm at it, any thoughts on Colt's custom shop?

I dont have any personal experience with colt's custom shop, but the manager, Brent is a member of 1911forum and seems to go out of his way to make customers happy.

sawgrass
08-22-2012, 07:10
For the sake of clarity is custom considered "one smith" and semi-custom is more than one smith?

I watched a couple of videos on LB and everything was hand fitted and hand filed but each station was a different smith. It was impressive to me that some of them had worked there for many many years. When I called them to find out the age of the SRP they could not have been any nicer.

Do you guys who have custom and semi-custom believe that you can feel and see a difference between the two?

Alexd29
08-22-2012, 07:25
my first 1911 was a stainless.Trp. it was nice but just a little.rough around the edges. traded up for a
Les Baer premier II. NO COMPARISON. the LB is super accurate, smooth, and eats everything.

Only downside, the blueing, while very attractive, is not very durable. if you do much holster work, it will show wear.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

sawgrass
08-22-2012, 15:06
my first 1911 was a stainless.Trp. it was nice but just a little.rough around the edges. traded up for a
Les Baer premier II. NO COMPARISON. the LB is super accurate, smooth, and eats everything.

Only downside, the blueing, while very attractive, is not very durable. if you do much holster work, it will show wear.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

The other day when I spoke with CJ at 1911heaven we talked about that. I'm under the impression that LB offers a couple of black coatings. My SRP is black. It isn't blued.
That might be an option for the OP if she decides to go LB.

I was thinking about the fact that if one person fits one part of a gun he is likely to be very good at it. I don't think, but it might be ignorance at this point that it wouldn't make much difference to me how many people worked on it, if it is properly executed and meets my expectations.

DRJ1911
08-22-2012, 16:17
I really like my Wilson CQB Elite but would like to try a Guncrafter.

Doyle

CoolBreeze1911
08-23-2012, 09:28
I don't own one, nor have I fired it, but I had an opportunity to put hands on one the other day at my LGS and it just felt right.

SpringerTGO
08-23-2012, 10:41
I don't own one, nor have I fired it, but I had an opportunity to put hands on one the other day at my LGS and it just felt right.

My Nighthawk purchase was one of the worst mistakes I've ever made, for that kind of money. They treated me like dirt, and it wasn't reliable as delivered. Also, read the fine print on their warranty.

Glock_en_speil
08-23-2012, 20:08
NEOH212,

When it comes to custom production guns I prefer Wilson. In my opinion they are the best of breed in this category and they offer something their competitors don't. A LIFETIME WARRANTEE! This just doesn't apply to you but also anyone else you sell it to. The warrantee follows the gun, not its owners. Wilson's customer service is second to none. For those of us who belong to the Wilson sub-forum on 1911forum.com we even have our own Wilson factory rep over there that answers all our questions and addresses customer service issues. It's really an amazing experience being a Wilson owner.

I had a CQB but sold it to fund a CQB Elite build with different specs. I sold the CQB for what I paid for it so I can personally tell you these guns definitely hold their value. You can get into a CQB for your 3K price target. Add about $500 more for the CQB Elite which has 100% fully machined parts, a one-piece magwell/main spring housing plus serrated top-of-slide and rear-of-slide.

The only downside to Wilson is the long wait if you want to order one with custom options. It's currently about one year and even longer if you want a compact or one with a lightweight frame. There are dealers who stock Wilson so can buy them "off the rack" but most will not have a lot of options. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Tallahassee
08-23-2012, 20:41
If you're thinking commander size I'd go with Gun Crafter over Les Baer.

Full size...it would be hard for me to choose between a No Name and a Premier II with the 1.5" guarantee.

wrx04
08-23-2012, 21:13
Your original post says OVER $2k......if thats what you meant to say, here is my opinion: This is what i would do.....in order.

If price was not an object, i would buy a custom gun from John Harrison. You might wait a little bit, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better built gun. The man builds the entire gun by himself, and he builds them to function. They look good, but they are made to shoot.

My second choice would be an SVI. They also build the gun EXACTLY how you want it, and are top notch quality. There is a reason all the serious competition shooters run these guns. Not sure on the wait time, but they are pretty sweet. I have an STI trojan (their non-custom sister company) and it has been rock solid through 10,000 rounds. It is probably the best value of all my 1911's.

In the semi-custom range, i would take a wilson first (CQB Elite is what i would get)....no question. I have a CQB and it is my favorite pistol. Outstanding quality. The customer service is incredible as well. I was having trouble with the slide failing to lock back on the last round.......they asked many questions to dx the problem and sent a paid shipping label on the spot. People bash wilson for being overpriced, but in my experience, they are worth every penny. If there are problems, you WILL be taken care of in a professional, timely manner. That matters.

I would consider a Guncrafter 'No Name' next. I have no experience with them, but many guys love them.

I have a Baer UTC (5") that has been great. This is a great gun for the price range *if* you get a good one. I probably wont buy another Baer due to a horrific customer service experience i had after buying a 4.25" SRP. I'll leave it at that.

Good luck. There are a lot of good options. Find someone who shoots their guns often, and runs them hard. They will lead you to the best available.

ETA: Just saw you are thinking about a commander. All the above was based on a full sized gun. I, personally, will not own another <5" 1911 for a few reasons. If you do decide to get a commander, i would strongly advise you to NOT get a Baer. My .02

Noles26
08-23-2012, 21:27
STI Perfect 10.

I win

CDR_Glock
08-23-2012, 21:45
I acquired a Guncrafter No Name 1911. It's a solid 1911 as people suggested.

What other Guncrafter models do you recommend? I don't plan to use a rail so the American model is out. Where does a Guncrafter fit amidst the Wilson levels of 1911s? I'm thinking in the Elite category given that they use forged parts

-
By the way, Ed Brown is a solid 1911, too. I have a Special Forces Ed Brown, and it's one of the best for me, regarding accuracy.

fnfalman
08-23-2012, 22:32
Find a used King's Gunwork Colt if possible.

NEOH212
08-24-2012, 02:55
Thanks again everyone. Gosh I have a lot of choices don't I?

Oh well, I'm glad it's not until next year because It's a hard decision to make!

samuse
08-24-2012, 08:23
I'd suck it up and wait for a Springfield Custom Carry or a Pro.

IMO, they're purpose built usin' pistols, not just fancy 1911s.