Tula Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tula Ammo

Glock19Fan
08-20-2012, 21:16
I own a Rock Island Arms 1911 full size model, and while it is not my primary carry or even self defense weapon, it does stay in the living room 99 percent of the time.

Becuase of this, my lack of motivation and cash push me to shoot cheaper ammo at the range. I dont reload, so the Tula ammo I get at Walmart seemed like a great deal at $15 a box (When they have it in stock).

I have put close to 400 rounds of ammo through this weapon, and not a single malfuncton of any kind. I just felt like posting this after seeing many negative reviews on the stuff.

I have also put close to 600 rounds of Tula ammo through my KelTec SU16 without a single malfunction of any kind. And the biggest suprise is that I have NEVER cleaned this rifle. I know, some will say its firearm neglect, but honestly this is just a "beater" gun. A Q-tip in the chamber, and a little oil inside the bolt and it keeps on going.

Dont be afraid to buy this ammo. :wavey:

wmodavis
08-20-2012, 23:22
I too have used it with great success. I do have same problem with Wally not always having it in stock. I just bought a bunch from Cheaper Than Dirt for 11.49 +shpg. Still much cheaper than Wally. I shoot .40 in my G23.

WoodenPlank
08-20-2012, 23:34
Most modern firearms should handle steel case ammo without issue. It can be a problem with some pickier guns, as Tula tends to be under-powered. The issue comes from long term use of steel case, or mixing steel and brass.

Steel cases don't expand as much as brass when fired, which allows expanding gas from the burning powder to get between the case and chamber wall. This residue can build up over time. So long as you only shoot steel case, it's not a huge problem, as the build up will simply fill the gap between the two.

However, if you have enough buildup, and then run brass cased ammo, the brass expands more and can stick in the chamber from all the gunk in there.

The easiest way to prevent it is to simply clean the chamber before switching back to brass cased ammo.

Glock19Fan
08-21-2012, 00:18
I understand the "downsides" of using steel cased ammo, but as I recall much of the .45ACP ammo made in WWII was steel cased so I dont worry about it much, especially considering this is not my first line of defense.

beforeobamabans
08-21-2012, 04:55
This thread just goes to show that there is always an audience for the cheapest possible goods regardless of quality. I'll bet you buy your "gun" belts at WalMart too.

Glock19Fan
08-21-2012, 06:28
This thread just goes to show that there is always an audience for the cheapest possible goods regardless of quality. I'll bet you buy your "gun" belts at WalMart too.

Usually people read the original post before replying in a thread, but I will go ahead and give you a summary- Almost 1000 rounds of ammo between two different weapons and no malfunctions.

Brucev
08-21-2012, 09:16
I own a Rock Island Arms 1911 full size model, and while it is not my primary carry or even self defense weapon, it does stay in the living room 99 percent of the time.

Becuase of this, my lack of motivation and cash push me to shoot cheaper ammo at the range. I dont reload, so the Tula ammo I get at Walmart seemed like a great deal at $15 a box (When they have it in stock).

I have put close to 400 rounds of ammo through this weapon, and not a single malfuncton of any kind. I just felt like posting this after seeing many negative reviews on the stuff.

I have also put close to 600 rounds of Tula ammo through my KelTec SU16 without a single malfunction of any kind. And the biggest suprise is that I have NEVER cleaned this rifle. I know, some will say its firearm neglect, but honestly this is just a "beater" gun. A Q-tip in the chamber, and a little oil inside the bolt and it keeps on going.

Dont be afraid to buy this ammo. :wavey:

I have a RIA 1911 and a SA-GI 1911-A1. Both are excellent pistols. The RIA 1911 has been customized. It is in every respect outstanding. In terms of fit/finish and on target performance, the RIA is fully equal to the SA with the added benefit that it was initially less expensive to purchase.

I like the Tula ammo. I have fired it in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. In every respect it has been fully equal in performance and accuracy with ball ammo produced by any of the current domestic manufacturers.

One of the real advantages of the Tula ammo to me is that the casings are steel. As I normally shoot at ranges with heavy grass/weeds, it is very difficult to recover fired brass. As the Tula steel casings are not normally considered reloadable, one can just fire away and let the empty casings fly without concern for trying to recover the empties. As well when I occasionally get to go to a indoor range, I like to use the Tula as I don't have to fool around trying to pick up fired casings and sort them from other people's brass.

RageEffect
08-21-2012, 09:28

Go ahead and waste a ton of money for plinking ammo, more Tula for the rest of us then

wmodavis
08-21-2012, 10:18

And there is always an audience for 'spending more than you need to' based on the premise that you always get what you pay for. In a word BALONY! mister before.

Please keep paying more for less and belittling those who choose to do differently than you think is right.

And please stay far away from your hated WalMart!

You spend your money the way you choose and we will spend for what we want.

Veedubklown
08-21-2012, 18:19
Only problems I have with TulAmmo is that it's dirty, stinks, and the primers are hard. I was trying out a lightened striker spring on my 26, and this ammo would get light strikes constantly. Switched the spring back to stock, all is well, but it's still dirty stinky ammo to shoot.

Glock19Fan
08-21-2012, 19:13
My weapons get cleaned whether they have 1 round or 200 rounds through it, so dirtyness isnt a factor. And I never really notice the smell becuase I dont shoot at an indoor range. However, my only complaint of the ammo is that it is pretty smokey. Still, its reliable, accurate enough, and when its $5 cheaper than the competition, it wins every time.

JimIsland
08-21-2012, 19:24
I never had any issues with it as well. However, lately there has been some good deals on higher quality ammo at similar pricing. I recently bought a bunch of 9mm lawman for 11 buck per 50 with free shipping.

jrpro130
08-21-2012, 19:28
I use it from time to time. The only gun I can't use it in is the ruger lcp .380. Everything else it feeds and shoots awesome! A loooot of cleaning to do after though!

Should be wrenching instead of using TapaTalk