Your thoughts on prep food & storage [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on prep food & storage

Deputydave
08-21-2012, 06:56
Looking at Ebay and Amazon I see a lot of the 5 gallon buckets of different food types, powdered eggs, dehydrated fruits and such...

Any thoughts on what is available there? Any alternatives?

Thanks.

bdcochran
08-21-2012, 08:34
A recurring question.

1. If you value your time at zero, have plenty of knowledge or just want to go up the learning curve and will risk doing your canning/preserving/storing/packing wrong, then you do it yourself. Such is the only alternative to buying commercial.

2. If you have plenty of fuel, water, and time when shtf and you want to eat, then you can start off by buying anything commercial that you want to buy.

3. If you don't have plenty of fuel, water, and time when shtf, then you start by buying commercial products that do not require fuel and clean up. So then, you have meals in a pouch, jerky, canned foods, mres, coast guard rations, dehydrated fruits.

The unasked questions that are always asked are:
1. where can I find it cheaply;
2. what can I buy that is as fullfilling as a hamburger sandwich and french fries with a coke.

1. Nothing is cheap, even if you are a do-it-yourselfer and value your time at zero and overlook your mistakes (like the guys who claim that they never reloaded a bad round - that you take with a grain of salt).
2. There is nothing as fulfilling as a hamburger, french fries and a coke in a commercial ration, can, or dehydrated pack.

Here is some logic.

1. If you want to survive, think in terms of 30-60-90 days.
2. Think about what foods you would store to last the first 30 days without a. having to learn how to cook; b. attracting neighbors, guests and pests by having cooking odors, c. having to find fuel; d. having to find time to prepare meals, and e. having to have gobs of water to cleanup.
3. The US military stopped issuing mess kits because no matter what happens in the field, people don't clean their mess gear under stress. Of course, we probably have super humans in this forum who will shave with cold water every day and make sure that things are clean, but they are exceptional humans. Do not, I repeat, do not count on cooking and cleaning up completely when shtf and you are under stress.
4. When you can eat fruit cocktail, tuna fish, vegetables out of the can and without waste, why are you starting off by buying a 5 gallon can of stuff that will last a week?
5. Start off small by buying an extra can of soup, an extra box of pasta and make sure that you date the items and will eat them.
6. Sure, I bought into the year's supply notion when I was starting out. I had no clue that I wasn't going to eat textured vegetable protein, open up cans of dehydrated eggs, grind up wheat berries for flour and bake from scratch in an area where there are over 13,000 people to the square mile.
7. Heck I received $10 of free food coupons from the local supermarket and went in and bought 10 pounds of pasta at $1 a pound a couple of weeks ago. Or I could have received 10 cans of store brand chicken noodle soup. That is how you start.:wavey:

Deputydave
08-22-2012, 10:20
Appreciate your thoughts :wavey: