M&P .40c FRAME CRACKED!! BRAND NEW GUN [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&P .40c FRAME CRACKED!! BRAND NEW GUN

DaBurna
08-21-2012, 07:00
Got up this morning to inspect my pistol again from yesterday's shooting... The range session went 100%... Unfortunately, I have a crack on the frame right next to the take down lever that. Obviously I'm NOT happy about this b/c my gun only went 100 rounds before having this issue. I feel pretty confident that Smith will make it right, but it's the principle of the matter. Hold on to your G27's yet Fellas!! I've never been a fan of roll pins to start with..

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

WoodenPlank
08-21-2012, 07:06
Holy crap...

Well, look at it this way: Better to find it after the range session than to find it in the middle of one after digging your slide out of your arm or forehead.

ca survivor
08-21-2012, 07:10
wow, that's terrible.

DaBurna
08-21-2012, 07:25
I felt it wanted to bind up yesterday under reccoil with some 165gr Blazer Brass... But I didn't really think about the frame cracking until I inspected it again this morning. It still never failed to fire. I think the recoil was causing a "hitch" where that crack was in respect to the front rails the slide rides on. You could feel it draaaag slightly during recoil. This happened about the 75 round mark for like 10 rounds then it fired again normally.

I just got off the phone with a service rep and they're mailing me a shipping label. In the meanwhile, I found a link to submit a repair request online. Hopefully I'll get my label mailed electronically today. Hopefully they'll just sent me a new frame and recoil assembly. The spring was binding up on the barrel lip (probably as a result of being misaligned during the frame crack).

The gun was test fired 7/28/12 :crying:

Well never had this problem with my G27... Maybe she put the HEX on my M&P!! :supergrin::rofl:

2-tap
08-21-2012, 07:26
These things happen. I had a fnh fnx 9mm brand new shot 60 rounds through it and it started shooting way right so i put it down. When i got home i discovered the takedown pin was broke. It got fixed no questions asked. When these companies put out as many guns as they do your going to get some flaws now and then. I understand your upset, i was too but dont bash s&w bc you got a lemon. Glocks have them too! I bought my wife a m&p 9c and we have put about 1000 rounds through it without any malfunctions not even btf!!!

DaBurna
08-21-2012, 07:36
These things happen. I had a fnh fnx 9mm brand new shot 60 rounds through it and it started shooting way right so i put it down. When i got home i discovered the takedown pin was broke. It got fixed no questions asked. When these companies put out as many guns as they do your going to get some flaws now and then. I understand your upset, i was too but dont bash s&w bc you got a lemon. Glocks have them too! I bought my wife a m&p 9c and we have put about 1000 rounds through it without any malfunctions not even btf!!!

Yeah... Not gonna bash EM... YET..:supergrin:

I can say this is the 1st .40cal I've owned which is F-U-N to shoot!! I love the gun. Hopefully it goes off for service and returns with a free mag or so!:supergrin:

I'm just THANKFUL this isn't my only denfense option... I feel sorry for those who have their SOLE weapon break!:crying::shocked:

WoodenPlank
08-21-2012, 07:51
Anyone can make a lemon. It's A) how often it happens, and B) how they make it right that counts.

SigFTW
08-21-2012, 08:09
That's got to be frustrating with a new gun. I'm sure S&W will take care of you. Let us know what they say.

If S&W wont help you can always call Dixie Tupperware for help :tongueout:
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg558/SigFTW1/dixies-tupperware-party.jpg

WiskyT
08-21-2012, 09:07
If the serial# is part of the component that broke, you are going to eat an FFL fee unless you get SW to pay for that. They wouldn't pay for my FFL fee when my 442 wore out, but the gun was at least a few years old at that point. SW would not put the same serial# on the new gun, at least not with a wheel gun.

hamster
08-21-2012, 11:18
Got up this morning to inspect my pistol again from yesterday's shooting... The range session went 100%... Unfortunately, I have a crack on the frame right next to the take down lever that. Obviously I'm NOT happy about this b/c my gun only went 100 rounds before having this issue. I feel pretty confident that Smith will make it right, but it's the principle of the matter. Hold on to your G27's yet Fellas!! I've never been a fan of roll pins to start with..

Are you 100% sure that is a crack? Looking & my M&P9c, I have a similar type of line which seems to be from the moulding process. Can you see it on the inside of the frame? Can you flex the frame and see if the "crack" is through and through?

DaBurna
08-21-2012, 11:30
Are you 100% sure that is a crack? Looking & my M&P9c, I have a similar type of line which seems to be from the moulding process. Can you see it on the inside of the frame? Can you flex the frame and see if the "crack" is through and through?

I've looked at that... My M&P Shield doesn't have this issue (granted the 9mm<.40cal pressure wise)

Also the crack is starting to extend BELOW the pinhole as well into the frame. Maybe the rails under recoil torqued this lose causing a crack....

dakrat
08-21-2012, 11:54
yup, limp wristing.

fastbolt
08-21-2012, 12:08
Uh, the M&P frame appears widened and offset on the left side at that spot by design, and the coil pin is supposed to protrude just enough out the left side to match the offset surface of the frame, in front of the coil pin, so the pin can act as a "stop" for the takedown lever when it's rotated (to help prevent cosmetic damage to the frame material).

This "frame crack" observation has been made (by mistake) since the first promo pictures were released back in '06, BTW.

And yes, the Shield is a little different.

Picture of the 40c from company website: (use the Zoom to see that spot)
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765698_-1_757955_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Check out the pictures of different M&P's in the Product Spec sheets:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_779154_-1_757816_757964_image

Do some searching for M&P pictures and enlarge some of the pics:
https://www.google.com/search?q=M%26P+pistol+pictures&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=VXZ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2c8zULC1I4H7igKhxoGYCA&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=904

You might give your new pistol a complete visual inspection first thing next time and save yourself some excitement. ;)

GAFinch
08-21-2012, 12:34

Yeah, I agree. I can't see an actual crack in the pictures either.

Z71bill
08-21-2012, 12:36
I have 3 M&P pistols - A full size 40, compact 9MM & 40.

All three have the same look as the OP picture - none of them are cracked.

If you stress the frame does the crack get larger?

EDIT: After looking closer - the third picture does look like a crack.

fastbolt
08-21-2012, 13:18
Since they're sending you a pre-paid shipping label, return the gun for inspection under warranty. If your frame has developed an actual crack where the frame has the widened step, let them handle it for you under their excellent lifetime warranty.

If they confirm you're only seeing the normal frame design, and misinterpreting what you think you see (because you didn't notice it when first looking at that spot on the frame, and naturally aren't familiar with the reason for the slight design change/contour on the left side), they can ease your mind.

fastbolt
08-21-2012, 13:56
BTW, the right side of the frame at that point doesn't have to be flat and offset more inward because there isn't a takedown lever on the right side (to rotate against the frame). It's just on the left side where a takedown lever has to have clearance (flat surface) for rotation.

NIB
08-21-2012, 14:18
OMG! Does Nathan know???

faawrenchbndr
08-21-2012, 14:36
Wow,............so the M&P isn't infalable?!? :wow:

Leigh
08-21-2012, 14:41
yup, limp wristing.

...and concealed carry would have prevented this.

Seriously, glad there were no injuries and from what I've heard from a few shooting friends recently, S&W's customer service is as good as it has ever been.

SPIN2010
08-21-2012, 14:49
That stinks.

Mine had issues as well (I will leave it at that). Out of the last three S&W products I have owned all three had serious problems ... one to the point of refund.

WiskyT
08-21-2012, 15:10
I'm boggled by the number of people who obviously read the first post and then skip all other commentary before saying "SW sucks!".

My money is on the gun being fine after having read Fastbolt's post.

Z71bill
08-21-2012, 15:29
I have 3 M&P pistols - A full size 40, compact 9MM & 40.

All three have the same look as the OP picture - none of them are cracked.

If you stress the frame does the crack get larger?

EDIT: After looking closer - the third picture does look like a crack.

How often can a guy quote himself! :yawn:

I went back and looked at all 3 of my M&P's again -

If I hold them at a certain angle I can make the area behind the little ridge look like a crack - just like photo #3 in the OP

But using a magnifying glass and bright light - no crack.

It is just a shadow.

:wavey:

carloglock19
08-21-2012, 16:25
I took a close look at my M&P and at first I thought I saw a crack in the same area as the OP's gun but then I realized that the light was playing a trick on my eyes.

3rdgen40
08-21-2012, 16:41
Wow,............so the M&P isn't cracked ?!? :wow:
Fixed it for ya...;)

faawrenchbndr
08-21-2012, 16:46
OP sure seems to think it's cracked,.......have ya seen it first hand Randy? :whistling:

dpadams6
08-21-2012, 16:59
Anyone can make a lemon. It's A) how often it happens, and B) how they make it right that counts.

Not h&k. Lol

3rdgen40
08-21-2012, 18:00
OP sure seems to think it's cracked,.......have ya seen it first hand Randy? :whistling:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765698_-1_757955_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Zoom in.Look closely.It's not a crack.:wavey:

DaBurna
08-21-2012, 18:39
This is a PRETTY BAAAAADD CRACK!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/JCS30TH/0614081342.jpg

The weird thing is its in the same place that seam sits in that everybody is referring to as a mold mark....I feel these frames may be predisposed to having a crack form b/c it's basically like tearing a perforated edge....

WiskyT
08-21-2012, 18:54
This is a PRETTY BAAAAADD CRACK!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/JCS30TH/0614081342.jpg

The weird thing is its in the same place that seam sits in that everybody is referring to as a mold mark....I feel these frames may be predisposed to having a crack form b/c it's basically like tearing a perforated edge....

It's not really in the same place. It started farther forward and then traveled through that area. Notice the chamber of that gun is completely severed from the rest of the barrel, it's not an apples:apples situation.

fastbolt
08-21-2012, 19:11
A couple of things to consider ...

When you're talking the outside bevel, or contour, of the frame ... which is what you're looking at on the left side at the takedown lever ... it's not like there's a corresponding area inside the frame that can lend itself to a potential "weakness". It's not a machined part. There's no "perforations or dotted lines".

It's a molded, curved exterior shape on the outside of the frame surface. It's not like it's a corner on the top edge located at a spot where stress occurs, creating a stress riser in an unyielding metal part.

When you're talking about a sudden unintended stressful event occurring in a plastic frame, it's probably important to remember we're talking about plastic frames, not metal. Don't drop them from a height that's a foot higher than what they anticipate might occur during normal usage. Don't use non-factory ammo that isn't produced within SAAMI specs, or subjected to QC to make sure it conforms to SAAMI specs. Don't treat it like something it's not.

If S&W had simply flattened the full left side of the frame at the front coil pin spot, behind which the takedown lever rotates, this whole "perception" issue probably never would have arisen. The frame would have looked lopsided, of course, being flattened on one side for more than the length actually needed for the lever's range of rotation, and thicker on the other side.

Off topic, but at one point S&W did incorporate a metal U-shaped insert into their plastic frame, where the rear of the recoil spring assembly sits, as they felt it was a revision that would lend some increased strength (wear resistance) to the original design (so I was told). The M&P 45 was being discussed at the time, and I didn't ask whether it extended across other models/calibers.

The rest of the frame has the blackened stainless steel straps molded into the frame running on the sides, which lend support & rigidity to the frame, especially since they're connected by the steel coil pins, essentially making a steel sub-chassis (and which are also one of the main inherent advantages the M&P possesses over a couple of other plastic-framed service pistols designs ;) ).

Now, while I've run a moderate amount of rounds through my M&P 45 (maybe nudging the 4,500 + mark), I've only run less than 3K through my 40c. I split my small .40 trigger time between the 40c, G27, 4040PD & SW9940, so I haven't been focusing a lot of rounds on any one particular smallish .40 for a while ... (although since the time I bought my G27 several years ago it's seen more than 13K rounds fired, and has had some parts & assemblies replaced to keep things within normal spec).

No visible indication of the intentionally slimmed & offset molded spot on the left side of the frame being a "weak spot".

As an armorer and firearms instructor of some years, I've decided it's a better use of my time to avoid becoming mired down in "overthinking" things ... especially needlessly worrying over weird "what if's" that are bruited about internet forums ... and focus on simply maintaining the guns as recommended by the various factories/makers, and trying to wear them out via trigger time. ;)

Let the factory examine your 40c if you think it's become damaged at the spot where the exterior frame contour changes.

DaBurna
08-21-2012, 20:17
I'm looking at it again.... And I'm kinda seeing what you guys are saying in relation to the slide lock lever... I think aesthetically it's a semi-eye sore... But, hey the gun shot all 100 rounds!! I'm going to run another 100 rounds through her tomorrow hopefully to see of its okay... It looks more like the pics you guys have posted...

GAFinch
08-21-2012, 20:34
Hey, doesn't hurt to be paranoid with devices that ignite gunpowder.

DaBurna
08-21-2012, 20:36

True... And it still not satisfied... I can still send it off once my pre-paid label gets here from Smith....

WoodenPlank
08-21-2012, 23:02
Not h&k. Lol

Sorry, even H&K has put out lemons. However, despite internet myth, their customer service is more than happy to take care of their customers and fix any problems.

vafish
08-22-2012, 05:14
I suppose you are going to tell me my S&W is not cracked too.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Guns/DSCN2845.jpg

faawrenchbndr
08-22-2012, 14:13

Zoom in.Look closely.It's not a crack.:wavey:

Seems like the OP thinks it is,........until there is a better pic.....:wedgie:

3rdgen40
08-22-2012, 15:57
Seems like the OP thinks it is,........until there is a better pic.....:wedgie:

I'm looking at it again.... And I'm kinda seeing what you guys are saying in relation to the slide lock lever... I think aesthetically it's a semi-eye sore... But, hey the gun shot all 100 rounds!! I'm going to run another 100 rounds through her tomorrow hopefully to see of its okay... It looks more like the pics you guys have posted...
Hate to say I told ya so Greg,but...:tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:

faawrenchbndr
08-22-2012, 16:35
Hate to say I told ya so Greg,but...:tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:

Ok,....no crack, just an eyesore! :rofl:
Sniff n Wusson is gweat! :tongueout:

ca survivor
08-22-2012, 18:06
:rofl::rofl:

G26S239
08-22-2012, 18:37
My M&P40c has the same shadow.

Jade Falcon
08-22-2012, 19:54
Just one more reason, besides the key-hole, why I'm not buying S&W products again, lemon or not.

dtuns
08-22-2012, 22:22
Just got new American Rifleman open to first page a M&P add and the pistol looks just Like the OPs frame.

Larry V
08-23-2012, 06:09

Go to a gun shop and Look at another MP Compact. This is the way the pistol is made. It is not a crack!!!

WiskyT
08-23-2012, 06:55
Go to a gun shop and Look at another MP Compact. This is the way the pistol is made. It is not a crack!!!

He knows that. Read the thread, not just the first post, and you would see that!!!