Recoil control [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recoil control

Andy W
08-21-2012, 07:44
Came across this on you tube last night. Interesting how little the gun moves when they are shooting. I never thought about how much of a difference flaring your elbows out could make.

Ruger and GunTalk.tv - Recoil Management - YouTube

arclight610
08-21-2012, 08:01
http://olive-drab.com/images/id_pistol_m1911_700_06.jpg

Real operator elites shoot like this.

Andy W
08-21-2012, 08:17
http://olive-drab.com/images/id_pistol_m1911_700_06.jpg

Real operator elites shoot like this.

Their hammers are all down, at least the ones I could see. Staged photo perhaps?

DonD
08-21-2012, 08:23
I'd say the guy demonstrating is probably pretty physically fit, helping with recoil control.

While that may work with something with moderate recoil like a common defensive pistol, I'd really caution anyone trying that with something like a heavy load in a .500 Mag. That would look like an invitation for elbow injury. Don

simotek
08-21-2012, 08:24
That's how I shoot my Glocks. They feel like BB guns.

cowboy1964
08-21-2012, 08:25
Hmm, 60% grip with support hand, 40% with shooting hand. That's opposite of what I've always heard. I'll try that.

Thumbs forward just feels so unnatural to me and the gun (especially Glocks) tend to point high. I can definitely see though how it would minimize muzzle rise.

cowboy1964
08-21-2012, 08:27
Their hammers are all down, at least the ones I could see. Staged photo perhaps?

Probably just training on stance and whatnot.

40frank
08-21-2012, 08:30
Ironically, this is the video that had me looking at the SR9. (The instructor in the video is using one.)

EDIT: Didn't finish the watching whole video, there was a similar segment using an SR9 which I thought and assumed it was included in this video. That is why I mistakenly said SR9...woops.

simotek
08-21-2012, 08:32
Hmm, 60% grip with support hand, 40% with shooting hand. That's opposite of what I've always heard. I'll try that.

Thumbs forward just feels so unnatural to me and the gun (especially Glocks) tend to point high.

A .gov instructor friend of mine says they teach a support hand strong grip with a relatively relaxed trigger hand grip. The idea being with your trigger hand relaxed your pull will be smoother and more controlled.

Seems to work. I don't do any "gripping" with my trigger hand. I just push forward a bit but leave that hand relaxed.

CigarandScotch
08-21-2012, 08:35
Hmmm. Will have to experiment with that. Thanks for posting!

Andy W
08-21-2012, 08:36

Thumbs forward just feels so unnatural to me and the gun (especially Glocks) tend to point high.

I thought that was weird too. I actually have a slightly deformed left hand from a birth defect, nothing like in Scary Movie, but short stubby fingers and a lot of scar tissue limiting movement in a couple of fingers and it would be very hard to do it that way.

Andy W
08-21-2012, 08:38
Ironically, this is the video that had me looking at the SR9. (The instructor in the video is using one.)

It's actually an SR40 but look what he has in his holster.

40frank
08-21-2012, 08:56
It's actually an SR40 but look what he has in his holster.

Thanks, I missed that. I had the SR9 on my mind when I was watching it. Either way, I ended up buying the SR9 a few days ago and I am totally impressed with it.

EDIT: Didn't finish the watching whole video, there was a similar segment using an SR9 which I thought and assumed it was included in this video. That is why I mistakenly said SR9...woops.

scccdoc
08-21-2012, 10:52
Came across this on you tube last night. Interesting how little the gun moves when they are shooting. I never thought about how much of a difference flaring your elbows out could make.

Ruger and GunTalk.tv - Recoil Management - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Pmc8wtAhc&list=FLdIgW75k1f85GmY78U99XSQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video)

Good find, thanks....... DOC

catalyst686
08-21-2012, 23:00
I'll be trying this method next time I'm at the range...

vafish
08-22-2012, 05:21
A .gov instructor friend of mine says they teach a support hand strong grip with a relatively relaxed trigger hand grip. The idea being with your trigger hand relaxed your pull will be smoother and more controlled.

Seems to work. I don't do any "gripping" with my trigger hand. I just push forward a bit but leave that hand relaxed.

That works great for 2 handed shooting, but when you have to use only one hand you need to hang onto the thing.

Under stress you will default to your training, if you only train with a 2 handed grip and that method you will have problems.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

English
08-22-2012, 10:48
Well said vafish.

English

simotek
08-22-2012, 10:52
That works great for 2 handed shooting, but when you have to use only one hand you need to hang onto the thing.

Under stress you will default to your training, if you only train with a 2 handed grip and that method you will have problems.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I "go both ways" and make sure I shoot two-handed and single-handed. In a perfect world I am shooting with two hands (well, in a perfect world I'm not shooting at all) but if something were to happen to my left or right hand I am proficient shooting single handed.

I have always assumed everyone practices shooting with two hands and then with just their right and just their left.

Toyman
08-22-2012, 11:26
Try this:

While in your shooting stance, but with elbows IN as far as they go (arms locked straight), rotate the muzzle up as far as you can without breaking your normal shooting grip. Now, while the muzzle is up, move your elbows outward to the sides. Most people will see the muzzle come down because with your elbows out, you can't physically rotate the muzzle as high. YMMV