Heating Difference w/Heavy Barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Heating Difference w/Heavy Barrel?

glockbanger
08-21-2012, 15:10
How many more shots can you shoot in a similar amount of time shooting a heavy barrel vs a standard barrel without it heating up too much?

Travclem
08-21-2012, 17:49
There are way too many variables to give an answer. How heavy/light of a barrel? What caliber? how hot are the loads? ambient temp? shot interval? How hot is too hot (just accuracy loss or permanently damaging the barrel?)?

I don't think you will find an absolute number but remember, the longer it takes to heat up, the longer it takes to cool.

banger
08-21-2012, 18:04
There are way too many variables to give an answer. How heavy/light of a barrel? What caliber? how hot are the loads? ambient temp? shot interval? How hot is too hot (just accuracy loss or permanently damaging the barrel?)?

I don't think you will find an absolute number but remember, the longer it takes to heat up, the longer it takes to cool.

^^^This^^^

Also, consider the fact that when the heavy barrel gets hot...It stays hot longer.

There really is no such thing as a "free lunch".

ithaca_deerslayer
08-21-2012, 20:47
Is a heavy barrel less likely to warp? Perhaps because it is stronger?

I don't know, but my heavy barrel Savage doesn't seem to heat up and walk like my field barrel Savage. Could be many other factors at play.

Travclem
08-21-2012, 20:55
Is a heavy barrel less likely to warp? Perhaps because it is stronger?

I don't know, but my heavy barrel Savage doesn't seem to heat up and walk like my field barrel Savage. Could be many other factors at play.The extra steel on the heavy barrel acts as a heat sink and keeps the bore cooler for longer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

orangeride
08-21-2012, 21:37
Match guys run heavy barrels because there stiffer. This makes them easier to tune an accurate load. My heavy barrel .338rum will get the barrel real hot is 3 shots, my heavy .223 will shoot all day and not get as hot.

samuse
08-22-2012, 20:01
I have a SOCOM bbl on one AR with a Daniel Defense rail and it'll stay cool for a couple or three mags if I shoot about a round a second or two.

I have another AR with a gov't profile bbl with a Knight's RAS and it's almost too hot to hold by the rail after two mags at 1 round a second or two.

But this is at 100 degrees ambient with the gun baking in the sun.

fnfalman
08-22-2012, 22:08
Just remember that a heavy barrel may take longer to heat up, it also takes longer to cool down as well. All that mass acts as a heat sink.