Self install night sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Self install night sights?

Z71
08-21-2012, 15:45
I want to re-shod both my G17 and G19 with new night sights.

Really don't want to send it off...take it 60 miles to an armorer...buy a $100 rear sight tool...I just want to order some sights..knock the plastic ones off..stick my new sights on myself.

I've seen references that Ameriglo and Tru-Dot both have night sight set-ups that an owner can install with no major fuss..however I can't find any reference to which sights I need from any major source.

What night sights do I need and where to order the right sights for no-tool instalation?

Thanx..Z

obrieri
08-21-2012, 15:53
You can do it with a flat head screw driver and a mallet if you are very careful. There are several youtube videos that show how to do it.

Glock40man
08-21-2012, 15:56
I use the Glockmeister sight tools.

http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Sight-Tool-for-All-GLOCK-Models/productinfo/GMST/

SJ 40
08-21-2012, 16:26
These are the best internet instructions with out sight tool I have come across and he is a professional,not some hack.

Installing Glock Sights with Dave Dawson - YouTube SJ 40

AK47Man
08-21-2012, 16:27
I used a wood doll rod on the rear sights with a small hammer to remove and install my night sights...Lone Wolf front sight tool for the rest...Make sure you use some BLUE Lock-Tite on the front sight..!! And to NOT over tighten it..!!...

cowboy1964
08-21-2012, 17:10
And after the BLUE Lok-tite fails, switch to a RED variant next time :)

tonyparson
08-21-2012, 17:34
Very good video. Thats exactly how I install my night sights...

eschang1
08-21-2012, 17:47
I am not a gunsmith but I was able to install a lot of different sights myself. The MGW tool helps, but if you don't want to spend the money on the tool, you can get by with an appropriate punch to drift the sight on and a padded vise to hold the slide in place. I used a steel punch and covered the end with a piece of brass and painter's tape. The plastic rear sight drifts out pretty easily. New metal rear sights take a bit more work. Sometimes the dovetail area is oversized and requires fitting with a file. I got a dovetail file from Brownell's that works well for this task. If the sights have an oversized dovetail, then you will have to hit it way too hard to drift them on, which is not recommended. For the front sight, I used the Glock front sight tool and some red Loctite. I degreased the area before attaching the new front sight. If you are unsure of what to do and don't want to damage your sights/slide, you should consider sending it out to a professional.

sciolist
08-21-2012, 21:18
Go by Dave's video above, and Dawson is a great source for products.

Snaps
08-21-2012, 23:07
Speaking as a current LE armorer, former mil armorer and gunsmith, it's idiotic to send a glock out for sights.

Brass punch, hammer, small steel punch. Drift out the rear sight and knock the new one in, I'd put a small grease pen mark or something similiar on the slide for a ref point.

Flip the slide upside down, knock that sight out with one shot, put the new one in, thread the small hex screw in. Viola new sights in less than 5 mins.

That being said, I made a LOT of money doing Glock sights for people, mainly cops who'd just wanna change them out becuase everybody is afraid to do it themselves

EDIT: oh yea, if you plan to do this kinda thing or really another work often you might wanna invest in a nylon bench block.

NEOH212
08-22-2012, 03:10
If you own more than one Glock, you should just buy the sight tools.

You'll thank yourself later!

:wavey:

arushus
08-22-2012, 03:33
XS big dot night sights come with everything you need to install them yourself.

fuzzy03cls
08-22-2012, 07:43
XS big dot night sights come with everything you need to install them yourself.
+1. I never thought I could install my own sights before. Always had a shop do it. Until I bought the Big dots. The tools they include are worth it. It was extremely easy for me. I was shocked.

Opie 1 Kenopie
08-22-2012, 14:25
Just put new 10-8 sights on my G27 in about 30 minutes with a small hammer, paper towel, brass punch and blue Loc-Tite.

simotek
08-22-2012, 14:37
This thread has given me the balls to attempt my own install.

SJ 40
08-22-2012, 15:01
This thread has given me the balls to attempt my own install.I've done 5 so far ,it's really not that difficult to do. You too can do it ! SJ 40

ak103k
08-22-2012, 16:00
If you own more than one Glock, you should just buy the sight tools.
This is your answer if you want to go the easy route. If youre changing out old night sights, you can recoup the cost of the tools by selling the old sights on EBay. I did this with my SIG tool, and was getting half what a new set of night sights cost selling them on EBay. Two sets nearly paid for the tool.

I know a lot of people do it, but I dont like beating on the night sights with a hammer and punch. They cost enough as it is, why risk busting a vial installing them.

If the rear sight is overly tight, dont force it. You adjust the fit with a sheet of fine emery, and run the base of the sight flat across it on a hard, flat surface. Dont file or sand on the sides or on the guns dovetail.

Another advantage to the tool is, it allows for easy rear sight adjustments. You dont even have to take the side off the gun to do it either.

AquaHull
09-07-2012, 07:42
I have some Trijicon HD's coming in the mail on Saturday the tracking info tells me. I will look at the videos provided here. I'm glad I used the search function instead of starting a new thread and hearing about that also.

ghostrider88
09-07-2012, 11:05
MGW sight tool 7 min sight installation and thats taking my time. :cool:

bustedknee
09-07-2012, 11:05
Just buy a set sights that work for your eyes, then just tap 'em in.

http://www.reelwavs.com/movies/sounds/happy_gilmore/happy3.wav

cowboy1964
09-07-2012, 13:57
Another do-it-yourself-without-a-pusher video:

"GLOCK 21" night sights install - YouTube

SCmasterblaster
09-07-2012, 14:38
These are the best internet instructions with out sight tool I have come across and he is a professional,not some hack.

Installing Glock Sights with Dave Dawson - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maCQhEIjoA) SJ 40

Great video! :supergrin:

Z71
11-02-2012, 20:51
Well..I actually got off my rear and ordered myself some night-sites for my Glocks.

From another thread..a reference to GL Distributers for factory Glock sights at $57 a set..and they arrived early this afternoon. A small zip-loc bag with two rear sights..two front sights..and two front site screws loose in the bag.

I went to napa and got a 3/16" deep skinny 1/4" drive socket and ground the end flat to remove the bevel and ground the circumference thin for about an 1/8" at the end to clear the slide. Made my own 'site tool'

The only real issue I had was getting the little screws started in the front!

The rear sights were fairly easy...little scary on the initial taps to get the sights going in the tight spot...but once in not to bad to fine-tune with my little hammer and nylon punch.

Best thing I've ever done for these old Glocks! Both guns were wearing damaged original plastic fronts...The G17 having a funky steel replacement rear sight and a worn-off front...my G19 still all in factory plastic with a impact buggered front.

I appreciate the moral support and help...and the nice clean site-picture the new sites provide!!

SCC
11-02-2012, 20:58
I just take my gun to glock and they do it for me !!! :supergrin:

jeremy1
11-02-2012, 21:01
If you buy a sight installer you will not regret it. One of the best tools that I have bought. I have a Glockmeister tool and it is excellent.

ejes
11-02-2012, 21:27
I've done it both ways successfully; buy a pusher if you have several G's or think you'll get more; it is worth it. MGW tool works very well and what I prefer. If you have friends with G's, let them borrow it and pay you what they thing it was worth and you'll make up the $ in short enough order.

jim7777b
11-03-2012, 03:42
If you don't trust your steady hand to "drive" the rear sight in/out try this. Also works with other sight/gun brands. Only $60 from GlockStore.
http://glockstore.com/index.php?tpl=search&search_val=+sight+pusher+tool

Yertology
11-03-2012, 06:26
Great video! :supergrin:

+1

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine