Triggers: Walther PPQ vs Caracal F [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Triggers: Walther PPQ vs Caracal F

cysoto
08-21-2012, 22:00
I have recently come across a Caracal F which, IMO, has the best trigger of any striker-fired pistol currently in the market (ever better than many some with aftermarket trigger modifications).

While talking with a friend some days ago, he mentioned that the trigger on the Walther PPQ is the best trigger he has tried on any striker-fired gun.

For those of you that have tried them both, which one do you prefer and why?

checkyoursix
08-21-2012, 22:05
I have owned a PPQ and shot a Caracal of a friend. Would give an edge to the Walther but both triggers are very good, excellent out of the box. The edge is for the overall quality and beause the sights of the Caracal were odd. Accuracy was better for me with the PPQ but I shot it more so take that for what is worth.

stmcelroy
08-21-2012, 22:22
As an owner of a Caracal F & C I will say the Walther has a slightly better trigger. Nothing wrong with the Caracal trigger though, way better than a stock M&P or Glock trigger.

Tiro Fijo
08-21-2012, 22:36
I own a PPQ & tested a Caracal C that a friend owns. I make no bones that IMO the PPQ is a better gun & has a slightly better trigger. However, for me they recoiled the same but I did not like the Caracal "love it or hate it" grip. It did not fit my hand. Other than that it's a great gun if you can get by the facts that:

A. it's made by Muslims

B. for a gun with less parts than a Glock it is needlessly complicated and you must remove THREE roll pins to clean the striker channel

C. Rube Goldberg designed the rear sight. :upeyes:

Comedian
08-22-2012, 00:58
As an owner of a Caracal F & C I will say the Walther has a slightly better trigger. Nothing wrong with the Caracal trigger though, way better than a stock M&P or Glock trigger.

My feelings exactly, having shot a friends PPQ a few times. I chose Caracal pistols over the PPQ due to them being much softer shooting. The PPQ in 9mm felt close to a 40 to me. The Caracal's are much easier to shoot at speed.

Gary1911A1
08-22-2012, 07:26
I have both a Caracal Compact and a PPQ in 9MM and think the trigger on the PPQ is better. More crisp like a 1911 where the Caracal is more a smooth DA type.

dnuggett
08-22-2012, 08:39
I haven't bothered shooting a Caracal, they don't interest me in the least. That said I do own a PPQ and it has the best trigger of any plastic pistol I have ever shot. I have shot just about all the major plastics at one time or another.

I don't really get the recoil issues with the 9mm PPQ. But to each their own.

Raven1967
08-22-2012, 20:00
Triggers on both the PPQ and Caracal are great,I own both and give to edge to the Walther but not by much.

Walk Soft
08-22-2012, 20:13
I have a Caracal C that I bought after having rented a PPQ twice.I would agree that the PPQ's trigger ever so slightly beats the Caracal.I made my choice between the two by shooting them.I was amazed at how accurately I shot the Caracal the first time I tried it.I put up the best grouping I had put up before with any striker fired polymer I had shot before and I went through ten thousand rounds last year.
Follow up shots is where the Caracal shines.
I always thought the effect of the low bore axis of a Glock was over rated.I was wrong because the Caracal's bore is even lower and the distance on the target between double tap shots(with the Caracal) is closer for me than ever before.

Rick Melear
08-24-2012, 21:33
I have a Caracal C that I bought after having rented a PPQ twice.I would agree that the PPQ's trigger ever so slightly beats the Caracal.I made my choice between the two by shooting them.I was amazed at how accurately I shot the Caracal the first time I tried it.I put up the best grouping I had put up before with any striker fired polymer I had shot before and I went through ten thousand rounds last year.
Follow up shots is where the Caracal shines.
I always thought the effect of the low bore axis of a Glock was over rated.I was wrong because the Caracal's bore is even lower and the distance on the target between double tap shots(with the Caracal) is closer for me than ever before.

Recoil, damn guys its a 9mm

vic bastige
08-25-2012, 07:26

This...big time.

Walk Soft
08-25-2012, 18:15

You're right.However if you're shooting a timed competition where you need to put two shots in each target as quickly as possible,it makes a big difference.

DEADEYEGUY
08-26-2012, 07:07
I hear people talk about recoil being a problem with the PPQ. Don't see it. Mine's fine as far as recoil goes. More than some less than others. Like the guy said it's a 9mm.

Apetrulis01
08-26-2012, 11:08
I shoot a lot of competition with a Gen 4 Glock 17. The recoil management with that gun is very good. I have shot the Walther P99 (which i have read has the same recoil as the PPQ) and can say the 9mm recoil is a little more snappy.

Everyone states, "It is a 9mm," but when shooting for time in a competition it can make a difference. The double taps with the P99 were not as tight then with the Glock 17.

Also, if I can control recoil better with the Glock I would stay with the Glock because in a self defense situation I will be shooting just as fast if not faster at the bad guy then in Competition. So, I will go with the gun in which I "THINK" recoils less.

Then again this is personal to the shooter.

I have dry fired the PPQ and it has a great trigger. If the mag release with American style (push button) I would probably have bought one already, but I have to rotate the gun a lot to reach with my thumb and years of hitting the mag release with my thumb would take years to break that if I wanted to try to hit the mag lever with my trigger finger.

Just my two cents,
Adam

Apetrulis01
08-26-2012, 11:09
Also, for the guys that say, "It is a 9mm." Why do all the top competition shooters that shoot 9mm usually have a round that is downloaded with a heavier bullet?

To lessen recoil and be able to shoot the gun faster under speed.

Adam

ozy
08-26-2012, 13:50
had the ppQ, liked it but not enough to keep it. went all the way with the glock gen 4 9mms platform and never looked back.
on a whim(the price was right) i bought a caracal f and a "c". good trigger out the box, but the ppQ was ever so slightly crisper.

checkyoursix
08-26-2012, 18:22
[QUOTE=Apetrulis01;19350486]Also, for the guys that say, "It is a 9mm." Why do all the top competition shooters that shoot 9mm usually have a round that is downloaded with a heavier bullet?

To lessen recoil and be able to shoot the gun faster under speed.

Adam[/]

I concur with you on all counts, I stated here not long ago that my bet is the PPQ will not be adopted in any meaningful way in competition.

That said, the majority of people here cares more about SD and conceal carry, and for those uses the PPQ is a great gun, and you can tailor your ammo to the PPQ as well if you are so inclined.

It's not a game changer, but it's a first class polymer gun.

vic bastige
08-26-2012, 20:22
If I can shoot my .45 with good follow-up shots, I know I can do the same with any mid to full size 9mm. This discussion reminds me of the sporting clay crowds, Gotta have a 32" barrel for better swing and choke. I just shot a 92/100 with my old 26" citori.

As for the PPQ, the stupid short reset makes up for all of the massive recoil of the 9 that makes follow up shots so difficult. YMMV.

jp3975
08-26-2012, 22:43
FYI...the Caracal F price was dropped recently at centerfire systems. $349

http://centerfiresystems.com/caracal-fs.aspx

jp3975
08-26-2012, 22:50
Anyone know of a good place to buy mags? Or if other mags work in it?