Indoor Shooting Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Shooting Question

ricklee4570
08-22-2012, 08:05
A friend just inherited an old farm house in the country. He said it is pretty run down and does not intend to fix it up. He wants to use it for some indoor firearms training. His thoughts are to use it especially in the winter when it is cold out and of course to similate some real life training excercises.

The nearest neighbor is probably 100 yards away and not within sight of the house (trees and hills between)

He made some bullet traps from some thick steel and is reinforcing the backstop where the targets are in the house with sandbags, etc.

Here is my question to those that may have some knowledge in this. Wont he have to have some kind of ventilation system? He said he plans on shooting FMJ ammo, not lead.

ronin.45
08-22-2012, 08:12
He will definitely get a cloud of smoke, but unless he has a bunch of people shooting or shoots a bunch himself, a box fan in an open window should suffice. Might have to crank the heater though.

ricklee4570
08-22-2012, 09:25
I figured as long as he used FMJ he might be okay, but I had another person tell me that there would still be lead in the air? Didnt know how that would be.

And he said it would be a one shooter only situation to keep it as safe as possible.

SigFTW
08-22-2012, 10:01
I am supplying equipment for an indoor gun range (the ventilation equipment) and depending on the configuration it's not cheap, the builder took a less expensive design $27k, left out the filtrations of the smoke. However your friend only needs to remove the smoke and it can be done fairly easily with inexpensive fans and louvers(openings).

For personal uses I would use an exhaust fan down range with a louver or window around the shooting area, that will allow the removal of smoke from the area, and move it away from the shooter. Or you can use a simple push pull system with two fans, one exhaust and one supply. What ever you use you have to introduce about the same amount of air from the outside that you are trying to remove from the house. Just sticking a fan in the window will not cut it unless you have a window or louver open in another area of the house in the right locations.

To calculate what you need to remove you can use this formula:
Take the total cubic feet, say it its 20'x30'x8', thatís 4,800 cubic feet. Take the 4,800CF and divided it by the minutes per air change. For smoke I would go about every 2 to 3 that would be 1,600 to 2,400CFM (CFM: Cubic Feet Minute is the fan flow rate) needed to change the air ever 2 to 3 minutes, or 20 to 30 air changes per hour.

If you need help with a simple ventilation design send me a PM with all the details and I can help you.

Paul7
08-22-2012, 10:09
You'd want to use Total Metal Jacket, nut Full Metal Jacket.

michael_b
08-22-2012, 10:10
I figured as long as he used FMJ he might be okay, but I had another person tell me that there would still be lead in the air? Didnt know how that would be.

And he said it would be a one shooter only situation to keep it as safe as possible.

FMJ mean Full Metal Jacket. Jacket being the key word. Under the thin copper jacket is a lead core.

SigFTW
08-22-2012, 10:31
Lead and smoke are the concerns when dealing with indoor range ventilation. I would not want to be in a building with high concentrations of ether. FMJ has a lead core and when it hits the back plate it will produce some air borne lead particles.

ricklee4570
08-22-2012, 10:55
Awesome information, thanks guys!

DonD
08-22-2012, 11:56
You'd want to use Total Metal Jacket, nut Full Metal Jacket.

Exactly! FMJ leaves the base of the lead core exposed to powder gasses/temperatures and you can't assume that there won't be aerosolized lead when using FMJs. Don

ricklee4570
08-22-2012, 12:13
I will have to do a search for the TMJ, thanks for the tip.

meleors
08-22-2012, 14:44
Winclean ammo from winchester uses lead-free primers and a tmj bullet.
Made for indoor use. Still should use proper ventilation.