Glocks Made in USA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glocks Made in USA

Deputy
08-22-2012, 10:10
Didn't even know these existed!!!:wow: Anyone know WHY they exist? From internet rumor mill, it has something to do with the tenifer coating.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/CIMG1930.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/CIMG1926.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSC_00196.JPG

JBS
08-22-2012, 10:15
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1435047&highlight=usa+glock

Deputy
08-22-2012, 10:26
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1435047&highlight=usa+glock

Thanks! Like the OP in that thread mentioned, I did a search and came up with nothing. :supergrin:

JBS
08-22-2012, 10:31
Thanks! Like the OP in that thread mentioned, I did a search and came up with nothing. :supergrin:

I remembered the post from last month.

jlprtr
08-22-2012, 11:30
tagged for future.

ghostrider88
08-22-2012, 13:18
Its probally that Austria does not have a trade agreement with the country and the US does so they get tagged USA

Deputy
08-22-2012, 13:43
Its probally that Austria does not have a trade agreement with the country and the US does so they get tagged USA

Actually, the guns are Made in USA. Or at least, assembled here. The whole Made/Assembled in USA is a grey area. Harley-Davidson motorcylces have to have a certain percentage of their parts made here in order to claim Made in USA.

ghostrider88
08-22-2012, 14:09
Either way I would like to have a couple

Deputy
08-22-2012, 14:37
Either way I would like to have a couple

LOL...reading my mind! Just to "be different" and be able to say "I have a Glock Made in USA". That would be pretty cool. Imagine the arguments and bets you could win with a US-made Glock!! :rofl:

Patchman
08-22-2012, 14:48
There's always the economics. The U.S. is probably the largest gun market with a steady demand year in, year out. Also, 'Made in USA' vs importing eliminates a number of ATF gun importation rules and regulations. And politically, the U.S. is very gun-friendly. Finally, the U.S. dollar is pretty weak (but stable), so it's more economical (ie: more profitable via foreign exchange rates) to make guns here and import them to Europe and the rest of the world.

Bruce M
08-22-2012, 16:21
How is the ejection with the USA versions??

:couch:

Deputy
08-22-2012, 17:09

Heh...insteresting question.:supergrin: Have to find a Glock Forum in the Phillipines to find out. That is one of the locations where US-made Glocks are being sold.

bustedknee
08-22-2012, 18:56
Heh...insteresting question.:supergrin: Have to find a Glock Forum in the Phillipines to find out. That is one of the locations where US-made Glocks are being sold.

Or Virginia!

Here is my old G17 and my new G17. Left side.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/DSCF2736.jpg

Right side.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/DSCF2735.jpg

Tops.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/DSCF2732.jpg

Check out the SN on the USA Glock.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/DSCF2729.jpg

ImpeachObama
08-22-2012, 19:28
Oh man, I would like one with USA on it.

di11igaf
08-22-2012, 20:13
Or Virginia!

Here is my old G17 and my new G17. Left side.

Right side.

Tops.

Check out the SN on the USA Glock.

Looks like USA version has non-dip extractor, or was that added later?

Deputy
08-22-2012, 20:15
Oh man, I would like one with USA on it.

X2!!!! Count me in for one!!! :thumbsup:

If the USA-made ones become more readily available, I wonder if there will be a premium on them? Beretta is in that situation with their 92. More pople want US-made ones than Italian ones. Of course, the US-made Berettas also seem to be of higher quality.

Paul53
08-23-2012, 01:06
Thought we decided last month that a byproduct of the tennifer treatment (arsenic) made it prohibitive to make the guns here for the US market. All go through the Tennifer treatment in Austria.

Or was that just a dream?

Deputy
08-23-2012, 09:18
Thought we decided last month that a byproduct of the tennifer treatment (arsenic) made it prohibitive to make the guns here for the US market. All go through the Tennifer treatment in Austria.

May have been a dream.:supergrin:
It's not arsenic, it's cyanide that is the offending item. Interestingly, S&W uses Melonite, which is the same as tenifer, on their guns. Must be a different process that doesn't involve cyanide.

Here's some good info on tenifer...

http://glocktips.com/tenifer-is-the-ultimate-firearm-treatment-process-and-highly-hazardous-to-the-environment-or-is-it-glock-wants-you-to-think-so/

Interesting pic:

http://glocktips.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/rusty-glock1.jpg

bustedknee
08-23-2012, 11:38
Looks like USA version has non-dip extractor, or was that added later?

Just out of the box.

M 7
08-23-2012, 12:23
I'd happily own one. Might have to pick up one, if I can find one, to keep the imports under control. :D

RLZIII
08-23-2012, 20:09

GLOCK no longer uses tennifer on any guns, Austria- or USA-made. The tennifer treatment causes the parkerized finish to turn out glossy black. The newer treatment, which is a nitration finish used on all current GLOCK models, causes the final parkerized finish to turn out a grey. The company stopped using the tennifer process because of the byproduct, of course. I have heard that it was changed in order for guns to be made in the USA (this was via my Armorer class; I haven't confirmed this elsewhere), though the process was changed across the board.

n0leafcl0ver
08-24-2012, 03:14
i need one of these U.S built ones and am willing to pay. let me know if u wanna sell..

silversport
08-24-2012, 04:22
GLOCK no longer uses tennifer on any guns, Austria- or USA-made. The tennifer treatment causes the parkerized finish to turn out glossy black. The newer treatment, which is a nitration finish used on all current GLOCK models, causes the final parkerized finish to turn out a grey. The company stopped using the tennifer process because of the byproduct, of course. I have heard that it was changed in order for guns to be made in the USA (this was via my Armorer class; I haven't confirmed this elsewhere), though the process was changed across the board.

how would you explain the original Tenifer and parkerized looking finish then???...I don't believe the Tenifer had much effect on the look of the completed pistol...GLOCK has had dull gray, shiny black, dull black and somewhere in the middle between shiny and dull...some had Tenifer...they don't currently...

Bill

Deputy
08-24-2012, 07:32

They may not use tenifer in Austria and USA, but the shiny black guns ARE still being made. I have a 26 and 30 with July 2012 production dates and BOTH have the shiny black finish. Both are Gen 3 guns. The finish on Glocks comes out randomly black or grey. There is no consustency from Glock on what color finish a gun has and tenifer does not affect the external finish.

M 7
08-24-2012, 07:43
GLOCK no longer uses tennifer on any guns, Austria- or USA-made.

This completely untrue. Glock still uses Tenifer. There have been different exterior finishes over the years, but the process of hardening the steel known as Tenifer is still used in Austria in the manufacture of Glocks and here in the US, known as Melonite, also by several different manufacturers.

The tennifer treatment causes the parkerized finish to turn out glossy black. The newer treatment, which is a nitration finish used on all current GLOCK models, causes the final parkerized finish to turn out a grey. The company stopped using the tennifer process because of the byproduct, of course.

No, they haven't.

Tenifer is the trade name given to the process of ferritic nitrocarburizing where the metal is nitrided by diffusing nitrogen into the metal's surface, a form of case-hardening.

The exterior finish has nothing to do with the Tenifer process as it is applied after nitrding and is selected by Glock to produce the finish they desire.

I have heard that it was changed in order for guns to be made in the USA (this was via my Armorer class; I haven't confirmed this elsewhere), though the process was changed across the board.

This myth persists despite the fact that a simple call to Glock confirms that their guns are still being manufactured using the Tenifer process. I spoke with Glock less than a month ago and they made this quite clear.

Deputy
08-24-2012, 07:47
M7: So can we assume they are using a different FORMULATION of tenifer to avoild the cyanide problem? I know S&W is using Melonite on some of their guns...same thing as Tenifer.

M 7
08-24-2012, 10:56
M7: So can we assume they are using a different FORMULATION of tenifer to avoild the cyanide problem? I know S&W is using Melonite on some of their guns...same thing as Tenifer.

Deputy,

I suppose that there may be subtle differences in the process chemistry, but the folks that I spoke with a few weeks ago at Glock were less than forthcoming about such specifics, proprietary and all that. Believe me, I asked, but they weren't saying more than what I've already repeated here.

Either way, it's all about producing passivation (oxidation resistance) and getting a good "skin" hardness. The process doesn't effect the coating you lay over it, especially stuff like the CeraKote-like finish they used just a few years ago. The park is a chemical reaction on the steel's surface, just like rust, so there may be more variation, but it comes from the variation in chemicals used to produce the park itself, but probably not the underlaying nitro-passivated treatment.

iflyem1
08-24-2012, 11:28
Glock slides are made in Austria and the gun is assembled in the US. What does the EPA have to do with a foreign countries tenifer process? They can't regulate a foreign countries Tenifer process!

This Tenifer, Melonite has been beat to hell in my opinion. In the US they call it Melonite and overseas they call it Tenifer. Same basic thing.

Deputy
08-24-2012, 12:01
M7: Check the link I posted in post 18. Lots of details there.
iflyem1: I haven't found the proof, but I am pretty sure tenifer is also illegal in Austria.

RLZIII
08-24-2012, 13:04
My GLOCK Armorer course that I took only a few months ago is where I got my information, which I have no reason to believe is incorrect. I haven't called GLOCK about this myself because I heard it from my instructor, Mr. Greene, in person.

Again, reiterating what I was told, GLOCK no longer uses the original Tenifer process. Remember that names like Tenifer and Melonite are just trademarked (think "brand names") names for slight variations in the nitration process. The trademarked Tenifer process causes harmful gases as a byproduct. GLOCK has since created their own nitration process that is just a good as Tenifer, but doesn't have negative byproducts. This new process is used in Austria and the United States. Again, I'm not sure if the Tenifer process is "banned" in Austria, but I do know that in the United States it doesn't pass regulation. I have heard of the "glossy black" guns still hitting shelves with recent test dates; I'm not sure if GLOCK is still fully transitioning from Tenifer to the new nitration process, which may cause this.

I understand that the parkerizing process is added afterwards and isn't related to the nitration process. From what I was told in the same Armorer Course, the way the nitration process is done is somehow effecting the end result with the parkerizing. I'm unfortunately don't have a lot of details on this process, as Mr. Greene didn't have all of the details. I'm not sure if it has to do with a cooling process or whatnot (a pure guess). But he assured the class that the parkerized finish wasn't changed; however, the end result is different because of the different nitration process. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can chime in to explain.

Deputy
08-24-2012, 13:51
Well I'm quite happy to have glossy black guns. I think they look pretty cool. :cool:

M 7
08-24-2012, 15:25

Interesting link.

Much of what was there, I've heard/seen before. Some of it was new to me.

The last paragraph of the article, while hardly authoritative, says-

GLOCK's tough finish has changed its appearance over the years. Here you see the original dull oxide look. This finish can wear and scratch off with no harm to the tenifer under it. Later models are shinier and the glossy prep does not wear off as easily.

The underlined portion confirms, or least agrees with, what I was told by Glock personnel. The surface you see on the slide is a separate finish applied over the nitrocarbed substrate- two parts, the processed substrate and a secondary finish. As to how the chemistry of the two has evolved and interacts and the effect that it has on the final aesthetic is something that only Glock can tell us. I am happy with mine as they are (they all have the hard, shiny appearance that reminds me most of the cooking surface of a Teflon coated frying pan) and I will look at the finish now with a renewed respect after all of the research that I have done.

Thanks for the link, Deputy. :)

Deputy
08-24-2012, 17:25
You're welcome M7. And thnks for your info. :supergrin:

mongo356
08-25-2012, 07:52
I have not noticed any difference in corrosion protection yet.

I will say though that use to you could read about tenifer on Glocks literature and website....lately they still talk about corrosion resistance but tenifer isn't mentioned anymore.

I still enjoy them the same. Throughout the years i have carried/holstered most of the different types treatmented models and finishes they have all worked well for me so far.

gcherry
08-26-2012, 15:37
The USA Glocks are sold to countries that do not have trade agreements with Austria. This info came from a Glock Armorer's course this past February.

ghostrider88
08-26-2012, 19:48
must have looked at several hundred today no USA in greensboro

bustedknee
08-26-2012, 20:02
Arte Johnson - Very interesting - YouTube.flv - YouTube

Deputy
08-26-2012, 21:42
The USA Glocks are sold to countries that do not have trade agreements with Austria. This info came from a Glock Armorer's course this past February.

I'd still like to get my hands on one. And it seems some USA residetns HAVE gotten their hands on them. :whistling:

RLZIII
08-29-2012, 18:54
With the increase in number of USA-made GLOCKs that are being found in the United States, I went ahead and sent an email to Joel Hodges, GLOCK's District Manager for Florida. His reply:

"We have been shipping limited quanties over the past 6 weeks.
It will say made in the USA on the frame and have USA on the slide under the logo where Austria is now."

So it seems as though GLOCK is actually selling USA-made GLOCKs in the United States now. There have been other reports in parts of the forum where people are claiming that GLOCK, Inc. has actually sent them a USA-made GLOCK as a replacement gun. I'd assume that production will slowly grow.

A follow up email I sent asking which models were being made in the USA garnered a simple "Numerous models as I understand." So maybe someone with a bit more information could expand on that part.

Deputy
08-30-2012, 07:51
Imagine getting an OD or FDE pistol made in USA. Talk about rare! :shocked:

DPris
08-31-2012, 13:59
There is NO Tennifer process being used on Glocks anywhere, Austria or here.
I've confirmed this with a Glock rep.
He calls the current process Gas Nitriding. Specifically says NO TENNIFER. :)
Denis

Deputy
08-31-2012, 14:31
There is NO Tennifer process being used on Glocks anywhere, Austria or here.
I've confirmed this with a Glock rep.
He calls the current process Gas Nitriding. Specifically says NO TENNIFER. :)
Denis

Well somebody better tell Glock about this!!! :rofl:

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

M 7
08-31-2012, 14:44
Well somebody better tell Glock about this!!! :rofl:

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

I'll say. Maybe they are using a different N2 donor medium here in the US- it's possible I guess. Still, I find it hard not to defer to the primary info source, Glock, for the process they are using.

Maybe that particular Glock rep is mistaken. Those at the bottom of the organizational structure are typically treated like mushrooms- kept in the dark and fed B---S--T - and it is more than likely he is the one who is mistaken.

If the Glock website says Tenifer, then Tenifer it is!

DPris
08-31-2012, 14:59
The answer to my question took over a month to get while the Glock press rep chased it down. He wanted to be precise, and the emailed answer came on Thursday independently of anything going on here.

He wouldn't answer it conclusively till he had a conclusive answer that could be published.
My money's on him.
I can't tell you how many times I've found websites woefully behind & incomplete.

Now, this means you can ignore what Glock's PR people are telling the press & go with your own info, or you can accept what Glock's PR people are putting out for publication & go with that.

I have better things to do than make up stories for Internet forums & only got into this thread because I had current info from a reliable source.
If you can do better, by all means have at it.
Denis

RLZIII
08-31-2012, 15:16
GLOCK's official websites have been known to be quite out of date. This includes the international version (http://eu.glock.com), where the mention of Tenifer is still there, and the US version (http://us.glock.com), where any mention of Tenifer has been removed. I wouldn't trust the websites for up-to-date news (which is unfortunate).

Deputy
08-31-2012, 16:43
Well the link I provided has info on Gen 4 guns, so it's not THAT out-of-date.

I'll trust the website before I trust hearsay info.:supergrin:

M 7
08-31-2012, 16:57

Same here, Deputy.

It looks like the Glock employee that I spoke with has been "over-ruled" by the Glock employee that Dpris spoke with.

Darn.

DPris
08-31-2012, 17:16
Gentlemen,
I'm on Glock's emailing list.
It's my business to deal with people in responsible positions inside the various makers in the industry. It's also my business to obtain & pass on accurate information.

The source of my information is a contact at Leader Enterprises, an ad agency Glock uses for press purposes.
This did not come from a janitor at Glock.
This information was given to me by a guy at that agency who researched it from Glock & passed it on in answer to my specific question weeks ago about whether Glock is still using a Tennifer process anywhere.
The answer to my question was given with full knowledge of who he was giving it to, and that it was going to turn up in print somewhere.

You probably have no idea how Gaston Glock deals with people who speak out of turn either within his company or on behalf of it, but the results are typically swift and unpleasant for the offender.
I'll tell you this- the info I passed on to you guys would not have been given to me, knowing I'd print it (and I'm not talking about here), unless it were sanctioned by the company.
It would have been my contact's job on the line. Very literally.

If you feel the Glock website comes directly from the lips of God, that's nice.
If you have better info, great.
In the meantime, what I gave you was given to a member of the gun press by a spokesperson at Glock's ad agency, after taking several weeks to check it out and get to the point where he felt comfortable in answering me.

Call it hearsay if you wish.
I've given you more accurate info than an incomplete website.
Denis

Deputy
08-31-2012, 19:54
So the best source of info is a guy who knows a guy that's connected to a guy that is buddy with another guy that works with a guy that serves Schnapps to Gaston on the weekends. Riiiiiiight. :upeyes:

DPris
08-31-2012, 20:23
I don't know why this seems to be so difficult for you.
I've given you info from an ad account executive representing Glock.
He will not pass on info about the company & its processes to the press without company verification & approval, which he got. It would be his job if he did.

If you find an outdated website put up by faceless webmasters to be more reliable, run with it.

Every once in a while I try to pass on some helpful info on a discussion in progress, and 90% of the time there's a sarcastic response from somebody who'd stand there & go blind while looking directly into the sun & denying it came up today.

You can't accept it? OK.
Your choice, won't change the facts.
Denis

Deputy
08-31-2012, 21:05
I don't know why this seems to be so difficult for you.
I've given you info from an ad account executive representing Glock.
He will not pass on info about the company & its processes to the press without company verification & approval, which he got. It would be his job if he did.

If you find an outdated website put up by faceless webmasters to be more reliable, run with it.

Every once in a while I try to pass on some helpful info on a discussion in progress, and 90% of the time there's a sarcastic response from somebody who'd stand there & go blind while looking directly into the sun & denying it came up today.

You can't accept it? OK.
Your choice, won't change the facts.
Denis

The website I linked to has info on the Glock Gen 4 pistols. I would hardly call it outdated. If you want to believe second and third hand word-of-mouth that's YOUR choice. The internet is chock full of rumors about tenifer being illegal (which is BS, since S&W is using melonite, same thing as tenifer, made by the same company). Don't try and force feed your opinions on us.

JBJ16
08-31-2012, 21:33
Yup! Made in USA

Here is my Glock 19 with LWD Threaded Barrel:supergrin:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x29/jbj16/20120807_102212.jpg

DPris
08-31-2012, 22:27
Deputy,
What is it about direct info from Glock's press reps that you perist in calling second & third hand word of mouth?
These are the people responsible for giving out information FROM Glock.
They are PAID to do so BY Glock.
They are PAID by Glock to deal with the gun press.
That's hardly second-hand word of mouth.

OK, YOU call Glock & ask.
In the meantime, take it or leave it.
Makes no further difference to me.
Denis

Deputy
09-01-2012, 07:18
I'll leave it. :supergrin:

bubbatime
09-01-2012, 14:02
Glock didnt update their website for about 5 or 6 YEARS. It was missing models and everything. I wouldnt get my up to date information from the glock website.

Deputy
09-01-2012, 20:25
Glock didnt update their website for about 5 or 6 YEARS. It was missing models and everything. I wouldnt get my up to date information from the glock website.

Yet they DO have information on the link I supplied about the Gen 4 guns.

RLZIII
09-01-2012, 21:06
Yet they DO have information on the link I supplied about the Gen 4 guns.

The GLOCK Gen4 pistols started coming out in 2010. It's been almost three years since they announced the guns (which I believe was done at Shot Show 2010, which takes place in January). Just because the website has information about the Gen4 guns doesn't mean that it's any sort of up-to-date (for instance, the "ad" on the front page is highlighting the GLOCK 19 Gen4 and GLOCK 23 Gen4, some of the first Gen4 models to be released). There are a couple of other things that the website doesn't mention, such as the 22-round GLOCK .40 magazines and the "dot" connector.

GLOCK dropping Tenifer is something that is pretty recent, so the international website (which isn't updated very often, a problem that the USA website suffers from as well) may not reflect the change.

cowboy1964
09-01-2012, 23:24
What proof is there that Glocks are no longer Tenifered?

cowboy1964
09-01-2012, 23:32
The pig nose is getting even worse.

Why does anyone want a US made Glock? The Austrian ones don't even work right any more. And look how much crap other US made guns get (Sig in particular)

DPris
09-01-2012, 23:45
Cowboy,
What proof?
Glock's ad agency/press contact says they're not using Tennifer anymore.

I could equally ask what proof do you have that any of their websites are up to date or accurate?

What sort of proof do you need? A metallurgy lab report?
I've been dealing with Glock for years. I've written for their Glock Annual magazine.
As I said- it's my business to have reliable contacts with a number of manufacturers.

What I gave you here comes from Glock channels, and it's current.
Denis

Agentk98
09-02-2012, 08:14

300 rounds through my USA Gen3 G17. I've had 3 ejections to my forehead and a couple back at my arm. I took the slide apart and gave it a thorough cleaning today. (Dipped extractor, 336 ejector.) Not expecting it will make a difference but I'll have fun testing anyway. :)

Deputy
09-02-2012, 08:25
What proof is there that Glocks are no longer Tenifered?

Actually, none. And tenifer, also knowm as Melonite, is still being used by S&W. Yeah, I want a freaking lab test PROVING Glock isn't using tenifer. Word of mouth from press agents isn't gonna cut it.

DPris
09-02-2012, 12:02
There was never any proof that Glock was using Tennifer in the first place, beyond their word, by your definition of proof.

If you believe websites over people directly involved with Glock, your choice.
You'd asked, you'd speculated, and when you got the truth from official Glock channels, you rejected it.
Why bother to participate in the discussion at all?
Denis

Deputy
09-02-2012, 20:06
There was never any proof that Glock was using Tennifer in the first place, beyond their word, by your definition of proof.

If you believe websites over people directly involved with Glock, your choice.
You'd asked, you'd speculated, and when you got the truth from official Glock channels, you rejected it.
Why bother to participate in the discussion at all?
Denis

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/debwar_bucket/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

SCmasterblaster
09-03-2012, 10:43

Hey D, what's the story with that rusty Glock pic?

DPris
09-03-2012, 11:41
SC,
If you're agreeing with Deputy, I'll make one final comment regarding the "hearsay" term.

In over two decades of doing what I do, it's been & it remains necessary to communicate with makers of the products I write about.

Companys handle this process in different ways. Most will have designated reps inside the organization that deal with the press.
Others will hire a PR agency to interface between the maker and the press.

The PR agency will take care of getting out announcements on what the company's doing, help arrange for product samples, and answer questions relating to those products as needed.

Glock is now using an agency for these purposes, as is Colt, among others.
With agency involvement, when I want a product for T&E, I put in my request for a test sample, it's handled by the account guy, and followup questions relative to the product are addressed to, and answered by, that account guy.

These people are fully supported by the companies that hire their agencies, and if they don't already know the answers to my questions they get with the appropriate person inside the company to get the correct info to relay back to me.

In doing so, what they tell me is not "hearsay", it's company-supported, company-sourced, and company-approved information.
In other words, the account people are functioning as direct speakers for the company that hires them.
Facilitating a flow of information between the maker and the writer who'll be writing up a given product is the agency's sole purpose. It's what they're hired to do- get the word out.

It's not hearsay, by one lone guy making things up as he goes along.
In Glock's case, the ad agency is in a double bind. If they put out bad info that makes it into print, they'll draw the wrath of the company & its owner on one side, and they'll draw the wrath of the writer on the other side, as well as losing credibility within the publishing field.

Glock would not take kindly to mis-information being disseminated by their paid rep, and I do not enjoy printing erroneous material on any product.
Both the maker & the writer HAVE to depend on the designated rep for accuracy, and if it doesn't happen, that agency simply will not be representing the maker any longer.

If an ad executive passes on erroneous info about Glock products, particularly about manufacturing processes, it'd be his job.
The reason it took weeks to get my response on the question was the ad contact running it through Glock channels for accuracy and approval, which does take time, before he'd risk his job answering me.

This agency relationship as an official speaker for the company is not unique to Glock, I run across it here & there.
When Glock hires a communication firm to communicate, and that firm speaks FOR Glock, it is not hearsay.

I had not intended to respond to Deputy any further, he obviously has his mind made up.
Since you continued the thread with what appears to be your own agreement on "hearsay", I've made this last contribution to the thread.

If you don't want to believe, for some reason, fine.
There were questions and speculation on the issue, and its been answered by two of us who know.
In my case, through official Glock channels. No hearsay involved.
And with that, done. :)
Denis

Deputy
09-03-2012, 15:57
Hey D, what's the story with that rusty Glock pic?

According to the link..."This last note probably explains the well-reported rust problems that Smith and Wesson M&P have had with slide corrosion. GLOCKs also have infrequent rust issues. The discussion on this Metal Finishing forum educates us to the fact that even the exact same finishing process is going to vary according to the details of the particular process. So inconsistancies even within one manufacturer should not be surprising."

So my best guess is the finish on that rusty Glock was improperly applied. I know there have been some S&W M&P pistols that have rusted after having Melonite applied, but that was because the tenifer reacts badly with stainless steel slide.

Here is some more info from that website:

"So there is my official scoop on Tenifer. It is an awesome finish. It is one of the best. It is not perfect, but carefully done, it can be close. GLOCK did not invent it, nor was it the first to use it. GLOCK may have been the first to use it on a firearm, though. The process is not secret, although they’d like to keep it mysterious. Other firearms companies use it, but apparently the cheaper version or inappropriately (on stainless steel, for example). In the past, it may have been prohibited by the US EPA, but now it is commonly applied in the US, even in Southern California, no less."

And the date of the article is April 13, 2012.

DPris
09-06-2012, 10:49
One last (really :) ) post on this.
Was done with it, but thought I'd see what Glock's response to the question would be using that website which seems to be the only source some posters will recognize as being valid. Tried an email direct to Glock through their US website a couple days ago, a route & process that anybody can use. Asked when Glock had dropped the process entirely, here AND abroad.
The answer just came in:

"Glock stopped using the tenifer process in mid 2010.
We now use a gas nitride process, same result using a different process.
Good day."
Emma Capucci, On Behalf Of TeamGlock

And with that, I'm outa this one. :)
Denis

Deputy
09-06-2012, 12:47
Evidently the way to tell the new, non-tenifer finish from the tenifer finish is the color. And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated.
Supposedly, and I can't confirm this, they are the "grey" finish guns that you see. The "shiny black" guns are the ones that were stil tenifered on the slide. I have four Gen 3 guns and one of them is a 2010 all shiny black temifer. The new production guns are all grey. I hope the new style coating will be as durable as tenifer. :shocked:

Glock23Man
09-07-2012, 09:26
You really don't understand what Tenifer is, do you? Tenifer is a treatment, not a finish. The color of the slide has nothing to do with whether or not it has gone through the Tenifer process or not. The finish is applied after the slides are "Tenifered." And over the years, Glock have had many different finishes applied over the treated metal, from Parkerizing to Teflon/Ceramic finishes.

Evidently the way to tell the new, non-tenifer finish from the tenifer finish is the color. And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated.
Supposedly, and I can't confirm this, they are the "grey" finish guns that you see. The "shiny black" guns are the ones that were stil tenifered on the slide. I have four Gen 3 guns and one of them is a 2010 all shiny black temifer. The new production guns are all grey. I hope the new style coating will be as durable as tenifer. :shocked:

Deputy
09-07-2012, 13:04
You really don't understand what Tenifer is, do you? Tenifer is a treatment, not a finish. The color of the slide has nothing to do with whether or not it has gone through the Tenifer process or not. The finish is applied after the slides are "Tenifered." And over the years, Glock have had many different finishes applied over the treated metal, from Parkerizing to Teflon/Ceramic finishes.

Geez...I thought my line "And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated" would have covered this. I KNOW tenifer is a metal treatment and that it doesn't AFFECT the color of the slide.
I was simpy stating that CURRENT guns that DON'T have the tenifer finish are colored grey. NOT that tenifer affected the color. Cripes some people just insist on flaunting their "knowledge", even when it is unecessary. Simply put, if you have a GREY Glock, it does NOT have a tenifer treatment. That's ALL I was saying.

Glock23Man
09-07-2012, 13:13
Sorry. Since you kept saying "Tenifer finish," I assumed you meant finish.

It'd be interesting to know exactly when Glock stopped doing the Tenifer treatment, because both of mine are glossy black, but recently made. Maybe they stopped the Tenifer before they changed the slide finish.

Geez...I thought my line "And before someone states the obvious, yes, I know that tenifer doesn't affect color. But the new guns AREN'T tenifer. The new guns are Gas Nitride treated" would have covered this. I KNOW tenifer is a metal treatment and that it doesn't AFFECT the color of the slide.
I was simpy stating that CURRENT guns that DON'T have the tenifer finish are colored grey. NOT that tenifer affected the color. Cripes some people just insist on flaunting their "knowledge", even when it is unecessary. Simply put, if you have a GREY Glock, it does NOT have a tenifer treatment. That's ALL I was saying.

bustedknee
09-07-2012, 17:27
Oooooooooooo! My ears!

I don't care what they call it, as long as it works and it does.

Don't ya just love the Red, White and Blue?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/RedWhitenBlue.jpg

DannyR
09-07-2012, 17:35
According to two different instructors, GLOCK employees, that teach the armorer's class, GLOCK no longer uses the tenifer process. I was told this in both March and May of this year. Take it or leave it, but don't fight over it.:steamed:

glockpeter
10-13-2012, 15:02
mah ! dont like

tango44
10-14-2012, 10:01
tagged.

Jmaxaner
11-12-2012, 21:03
I have one NIB G19 Gen3 made in the USA if anyone is interested please contact me :D
Thanks
Jeremy

Jmaxaner
11-12-2012, 21:26
I have one NIB never fired paperwork is still sealed etc.. G19 Gen3 made in the USA that I am looking to possibly sell if anyone is interested please contact me :D
Thanks
Jeremy

I have decided to keep it for now :D

TommyOC
11-13-2012, 01:07
My new Gen3 G17 that I got in CA is made in the USA as well :) is this still rare? or are they pretty common now?

Jmaxaner
11-13-2012, 10:24
As far as I know they are still pretty rare.. I talked to all the gun shops around were I live and their entire inventory is all Austria ones..

TommyOC
11-13-2012, 12:56
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/poloplyr01/DEA0AC9A-60B6-4652-8F16-49136E6BCF96-3242-000002857EEC1AEB.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/poloplyr01/BEA5217A-8DA0-4F2F-A9AE-7C8B0F0C2A93-3242-0000028585C1D5ED.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/poloplyr01/66336436-F5B3-4258-A939-760171CA234A-3242-0000028578C538B6.jpg
my made in the usa G17

dhgeyer
11-13-2012, 16:43
They're a little unusual now, but that won't last. They didn't build a factory down there just to produce a few collectables. Paying anyone a premium price for one would be a losing gamble would be my guess.

temp888
12-05-2012, 04:13
Wife and I just got our first pistol and this is my first post on glocktalk. And it's a USA made Glock 17 gen 4.

I hadn't seen anything about USA made Glocks in my research so it blind sided us a bit but we got it anyway. I love USA made. I just want to know it has the same famous Glock reliability and durability.

Is the consensus now that Glock has stopped using the trademark Tenifer treatment everywhere, US and Austria?
(replaced with gas nitride process)

Have there been any reports of machining, or other quality differences between US and Austrian? Again I love US made, but Austrians have been doing these processes for longer.

A little info. It has the smooth, not grooved trigger. Serial starts with AADX and a very low number. Any idea what the DX is?

M 7
12-05-2012, 11:57
Wife and I just got our first pistol and this is my first post on glocktalk. And it's a USA made Glock 17 gen 4.

I hadn't seen anything about USA made Glocks in my research so it blind sided us a bit but we got it anyway. I love USA made. I just want to know it has the same famous Glock reliability and durability.

Is the consensus now that Glock has stopped using the trademark Tenifer treatment everywhere, US and Austria?
(replaced with gas nitride process)

Have there been any reports of machining, or other quality differences between US and Austrian? Again I love US made, but Austrians have been doing these processes for longer.

A little info. It has the smooth, not grooved trigger. Serial starts with AADX and a very low number. Any idea what the DX is?

It is simply part of the 4 letter alpha prefix of the alpha-numeric serial number.

The earliest serial numbers seem to have started with two letter prefixes, progressed through three letter prefixes and now we are seeing four letter prefixes.

That makes possible a great many combinations (excluding the obvious four letter profanities that would occur and will likely NOT be used) that should last for several years as it should provide nearly 150 million serial numbers (when used with the numerical portions of the serial numbers) give or take a few thousand. :cool:

dolands
01-23-2013, 02:51
My first post here. It's been very interesting for me to read this thread from the beggining til to the last post since I am planning to buy my first Glock pistol by next month. I am permanently living in the Philippines but I am working abroad. As the earlier post here said, yes, Glock USA is the most commonly and easiest Glock pistol to buy in the Philippines while the Austrian made Glock is not that easy and more expensive compared to the US made Glock. I love US made products but I am concerning of their price difference and with that, I am confuse and thinking that they might have different in their quality. Does anyone here can give or share their idea base on their actual experience of using the Glock USA? Is there any problem regarding the performance and quality of Glock USA?

Please note that the price of Glock USA in the Philippines particularly for G22 Gen 4 is 975 US$ while the Austrian made in the same caliber and model is 1,460 US$. Any thought on this price difference why and what? Looking forward for some clarification to any one who has the idea and opinion that will helps me to make my decision for my first Glock pistol.

ChiTownPicaro
01-23-2013, 02:57
To me a Glock is a Glock based on my past experiences. Either way I am wondering if there is a difference in quality as I have not fired a USA made gun. I am happy with my Austrian guns.

Inebriated
01-23-2013, 03:59
My 19 is a USA-made one. Just as reliable as my Austrian-made guns, and just as good fit/finish, but it just looks prettier with that "USA" on the slide.

Giggity-Giggity
01-23-2013, 11:20
So is this now replacing the Austria versions?

myglockisa23
03-10-2013, 14:54
My Gen 4 19 is made in USA with Georgia Proof marks....
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/dwaine/IMG_4428.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/dwaine/IMG_4430.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/dwaine/IMG_4431.jpg

Nastynewt
03-10-2013, 23:00
I would like to have one of the Russian Glocks

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y394/Keiths59/original-tm-tfb1_zps881487cd.jpeg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y394/Keiths59/original_1-tm-tfb_zps15a0e79e.jpeg

Inebriated
03-11-2013, 00:40
That would be thoroughly awesome.

burttrans
03-11-2013, 07:33
USA made guns same great quality as all the others from my experience! I have USA made G26 and it seems every bit as good as my G19; love them both!

jp1*
03-11-2013, 08:20
My first post here. It's been very interesting for me to read this thread from the beggining til to the last post since I am planning to buy my first Glock pistol by next month. I am permanently living in the Philippines but I am working abroad. As the earlier post here said, yes, Glock USA is the most commonly and easiest Glock pistol to buy in the Philippines while the Austrian made Glock is not that easy and more expensive compared to the US made Glock. I love US made products but I am concerning of their price difference and with that, I am confuse and thinking that they might have different in their quality. Does anyone here can give or share their idea base on their actual experience of using the Glock USA? Is there any problem regarding the performance and quality of Glock USA?

Please note that the price of Glock USA in the Philippines particularly for G22 Gen 4 is 975 US$ while the Austrian made in the same caliber and model is 1,460 US$. Any thought on this price difference why and what? Looking forward for some clarification to any one who has the idea and opinion that will helps me to make my decision for my first Glock pistol.

Hello there! I'm also from the Philippines and I also recently bought a Glock 17 USA. It's been working great except for the occasional weak ejection that was said to be plaguing the newer Glock 9mms (both Gen 3 and Gen 4). I've since replaced the ejector (from 336 to the newer 30274) along with the newer non-dipped extractor. It's been working ok so far. I guess the reason for the cheaper price for the USA made Glocks is because it's being brought over by an official Glock dealer straight from the USA factory while the Austrian Glocks have to go to more channels to get here.

As for performance, I used to have a 2nd Gen Glock 19 (Austria) and while it never suffered from weak ejection it was a bit more finicky with reloaded ammo. My newer Glock 17 has not jammed so far (even with reloads) and the weak ejection seems to be a minor problem that seems to have been fixed. All in all, the USA Glocks seem to be on par with the Austrian Glocks. I would not hesitate in betting my life on the two based on my experience with them.

mm197
03-21-2013, 19:23
Hello
Is their a difference between USA made and Austria made glock, regarding the corrosion resistance? Do they apply the same new gas nitride process ?
Thanks

iflyem1
03-21-2013, 19:45
Hello
Is their a difference between USA made and Austria made glock, regarding the corrosion resistance? Do they apply the same new gas nitride process ?
Thanks
My guess would be that there is no difference between Austrian made and USA made Glocks. I'm sure they are all made on the same machines and treated with the same Melonite or whatever you want to call it process. USA glocks dont have to go through US Customs and pay tariffs and whatever else the govt wants to impose as fees to be imported. They will be the same price here, whether made in USA or Austria.

oily_oink
03-23-2013, 10:57
i would like to have one of the russian glocks

Me Too!

22rtf2
03-23-2013, 11:03
I live 20 minutes from Glock. I go there every couple months. I see the people that work there. I'll stick to Austrian made.

11BTaz
03-27-2013, 20:52
I wouldn't want a foreign made gun "made in USA", just look at what happened to Sig Sauer, they're QC took a *****ing nose dive, I use to love them (German made ones), now you couldn't pay me to take one - I've fired german one and exeter ones, yes I can tell the difference.... Glocks aren't expensive to begin with, so why make them here?

Deputy
03-27-2013, 20:58
That's odd. I had the exact opposite situation with SIG. I wouldn't have one of their non-stainless slide versions as they tended to rust rapidly. But all the modern SIGs work great and I wouldn't trade or sell them for anything.

11BTaz
03-27-2013, 21:09
Triggers on Exeter Sigs are different, especially with SA trigger, have to pull it back "farther" it feels like before the hammer releases, they always "pinch" my finger between the frame and back of the trigger - not a big fan of being "pinched" by my tools.... other things here and there, they just feel "cheap", but that's just me. Now if YOU are happy with what you have with the money you spent that YOU earned - then by all means, ignore what I just said and be happy with your Sigs. I've had people tell me "how *****ty Berettas" are and how you can't "hit the side of a barn with them, especially not issued M9's", then I go and shoot 3" groups at 35 meters, 5" at 50 and know the opposite of what they say is true.

I guess it's all subjective, one man's trash is another's treasure, different tools for different people, right?

11BTaz
03-27-2013, 21:19
Okay I'll concede that the SP2022 model, german AND usa models are all nice guns....

Deputy
03-28-2013, 08:37
HA! That's funny!!! Count me among those who can't hit the side of a barn wth the Beretta. Can't say thay are crappy, though. I own 4 of them and every one shoots low/left. I solved the low by changing to a heavier bullet, but the left I still have to get out to the range with the sight adjustment tool and work on all four of them.

I LOVE the SRT trigger on my Blackwater Tactical. Perhaps you have dainty, girly-man hands and that is your problem with SIGs? :animlol:

clarkz71
03-28-2013, 10:32
I see the pig nose lives in the US as well.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/poloplyr01/BEA5217A-8DA0-4F2F-A9AE-7C8B0F0C2A93-3242-0000028585C1D5ED.jpg

plouffedaddy
03-28-2013, 12:38

Just picked up a USA Gen3 19 made 02/13 and the pig nose is in full effect. :supergrin:

11BTaz
03-28-2013, 12:53
HA! That's funny!!! Count me among those who can't hit the side of a barn wth the Beretta. Can't say thay are crappy, though. I own 4 of them and every one shoots low/left. I solved the low by changing to a heavier bullet, but the left I still have to get out to the range with the sight adjustment tool and work on all four of them.

I LOVE the SRT trigger on my Blackwater Tactical. Perhaps you have dainty, girly-man hands and that is your problem with SIGs? :animlol:

No, I have/had a W German 220 and a German 228 (use to have a 229 in .40 w/out rail as well, w/ 357sig barrel, shot even better) I could drive nails all day with with NO problem, it's the Exeter Sigs that give me a problem - I just shoot best with Berettas and Glock 19's, then again that's what I was issued and am use to now just from sheer muscle memory. As for my hands, my firing hand has permanent callouses from shooting over the years, they just don't like crap guns :tongueout:

Like I said, if they work for you and put rounds where you want em', then don't change a thing, use what works and you're comfy with.

11BTaz
03-28-2013, 12:53

Pig nose?

clarkz71
03-28-2013, 14:47
It's when the front dust cover warps at the front and the gap
is reduced or gone and rubs the slide.

See on this gen2 the gap is even all the way until at the front it's gone.

The second pic the gap continues to the front, no pig nose
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/guns/Failures/glock17.jpg

clarkz71
03-28-2013, 14:59
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC01228.jpg

M 7
03-28-2013, 15:06

Clark-

If that is your gun- what kind of laser sight is that and what color does it emit?

Thanks. :)

tenforme
03-28-2013, 15:27
Clark-

If that is your gun- what kind of laser sight is that and what color does it emit?

You are kidding right??? It has Lasermax written on it in bold letters :wow:

https://www.lasermax.com/ProductDetails/tabid/127/ProductID/490/Default.aspx

M 7
03-28-2013, 15:32
You are kidding right??? It has Lasermax written on it in bold letters :wow:

https://www.lasermax.com/ProductDetails/tabid/127/ProductID/490/Default.aspx

Settle down.

Just looking for the model and beam color, dude.

iflyem1
03-28-2013, 15:54

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/guns/Failures/glock17.jpg
Looks like a Gen 1 to me. Right or wrong?

clarkz71
03-28-2013, 16:19

Yes, your right, typed to fast

clarkz71
03-28-2013, 16:20
Clark-

No, I would have fixed it before posting a pic.

cebuboy
04-28-2013, 04:03
For quite some time, here in the Philippines, we are only getting USA Glocks... It caused quite a stir here as people tend to prefer the Austria made ones, so much so that people are willing to pay more for a used Austria made than a brand new USA. Just traded an old 3rd gen Austria made for a brand new USA G19 plus half the cost of a USA G17RTF2... :)

So far USA Glocks shoots like er... Glocks... Main difference I can see is that the Austrian made got shinier bores...

G19 with "made in USA" and G17 with "Glock Inc Smyrna GA."
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/cebuboy/misc/134fa778-50fe-4c47-85e6-bf1630537b93_zpsb0521eba.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/cebuboy/misc/DSC_2855_zpse5c53898.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/cebuboy/misc/DSC_2856_zps4334e314.jpg

Kichigai
04-28-2013, 04:39
Well I'm quite happy to have glossy black guns. I think they look pretty cool. :cool:

I wish my slide was black. Maybe I will have it refinished :crying:

NITE SITE 53
04-28-2013, 06:22
My 19 is a USA-made one. Just as reliable as my Austrian-made guns, and just as good fit/finish, but it just looks prettier with that "USA" on the slide.

My Gen 4 19 is USA made also. Purchased 11/2012.

Inebriated
04-28-2013, 13:27
My Gen 4 19 is USA made also. Purchased 11/2012.
Mine was purchased 9/2012, I believe. Around late 2012 is when USA Glocks really started hitting the US market, I think. Before that, I hadn't seen one that wasn't over seas.

LarryNC
04-28-2013, 14:23
iflyem1: I haven't found the proof, but I am pretty sure tenifer is also illegal in Austria.

I don't know if this adds anything at all to this discussion, but I have noticed that Walther also uses the Tenifer process or treatment on their firearms.

LarryNC
04-28-2013, 14:40

I really wish that I had kept my 1st generation model 17. For the life of me I cannot imagine what I was thinking.

As far as the made in the U.S. thing is concerned; I guess I'm just different when it comes to this topic. I am NOT anti-american or anything, but (yes, there is a but) I want my Glock to be made in Austria; I want my Beretta to be made in Italy; I want my Mercedes Benz to be made in Germany, or as in the case of the G500 or G550, I want that to be made in Austria.

I'd love to own a Ferrari and I would want that to be made in Italy as well. I have witnessed, firsthand, the different quality standards that exist in Japan and the U.S.. When we bought my ex's Toyota 4-Runner, it was labeled as being 100% Made in Japan. But there were Tacoma's there on the lot that said "Made in Mexico." There is no way in Hades that I would buy an automobile that I knew for a fact, was made in Mexico. The same goes for a Chevrolet, Ford or RAM pickup, those should be made in the United States, not Mexico or China.

AustinTx
04-28-2013, 15:48
It's when the front dust cover warps at the front and the gap
is reduced or gone and rubs the slide.

The second pic the gap continues to the front, no pig nose

I think all the USA made frames have the warped dust cover, all that I have seen, have been warped. I have a 3 pin G34, that's warped slightly. I bought it when they (frames only) were first being made in GA. I actually didn't know Glock was doing that, until I bought the gun.

I noticed up above that the use of cyanide (Tenifer) is prohibited, in the US. That's just plain, not true.

Sdk8103
04-28-2013, 15:51
Pig nose?

Do a Google search on Glock pig nose and it will fill you in.

GlocknamStyle
04-29-2013, 08:51

I have 2 Glock 17s with the USA slide here in the Philippines. One is the "regular model" G17, and the other is the G17 RTF2 USA model.

They function perfectly the same as the Glock17s with the AUSTRIA slides although some Glock owners claim that the slide finish in G17 with the Austria slide is more durable (tenifer vs. melonite finish?). Also, G17s with the Austria slide also command a higher price in this part of the world..:whistling:

125K9
04-29-2013, 13:00

Mine's still just fine, thank you very much.

BakerBug
04-29-2013, 13:45
Two questions:

1. Does the USA G19 come with a target or smooth trigger?

2. Do we know if all the models are being made in the USA?

us3
04-29-2013, 16:33
Two questions:

1. An AAAU model mfg'd 02/02/13 came with the serrated trigger

2. No, I don't think all of Glocks models are being USA made

Here's some pics of it, also a shameless plug if anyone in San Diego is looking for a NIB one:

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=46452&title=100-25-new-in-box2a-2aglock-19-usa-version-2a-2afs-ft-san-diego&cat=5

themighty9mm
04-29-2013, 16:57
1. An AAAU model mfg'd 02/02/13 came with the serrated trigger

2. No, I don't think all of Glocks models are being USA made

Here's some pics of it, also a shameless plug if anyone in San Diego is looking for a NIB one:

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=46452&title=100-25-new-in-box2a-2aglock-19-usa-version-2a-2afs-ft-san-diego&cat=5
Mine, made is use with aabp also came with a serrated trigger

Inebriated
04-29-2013, 20:06
Two questions:

1. No.
2. No.

DaBurna
04-30-2013, 06:43
I love my Gen4 G23!!! Zero Problems!!!

Proxstud
05-06-2013, 07:16

This is how it was explained to me at my Glock Armorer class as well

btjac7572@sbcglobal.
05-06-2013, 12:08
I didn't know they were mde in teh USA with but if they are, tht's good news for our economy.

Data9
05-06-2013, 17:24
I didn't read this entire thread so please excuse me if I'm repeating someone else, but wouldn't Glock's that are made in the USA - well wouldn't the G25 and G28 .380ACP models be able to finally be sold in the USA if they are made in the USA?

huntinguy
05-07-2013, 10:24
I didn't read this entire thread so please excuse me if I'm repeating someone else, but wouldn't Glock's that are made in the USA - well wouldn't the G25 and G28 .380ACP models be able to finally be sold in the USA if they are made in the USA?

I was thinking the same thing. Darn, I should have waited and not bought the Kahr :crying:

I wonder if the USA thing has anything to do with the military getting ready to look at changing from the M9?

ImpeachObama
05-07-2013, 19:36

Because you can have 9mm. Isn't the 380 the same size pistol as whatever other models in the lineup, so why bother?

Cashgap
05-08-2013, 19:16
Because you can have 9mm. Isn't the 380 the same size pistol as whatever other models in the lineup, so why bother?

Yep. Same size, weight, capacity, price, perceived recoil (because it is blowback), same diameter round, and MAYBE 2/3 the ftlbs energy.

So... why? It's for markets where ownership of military calibers is prohibited.