Need advice on replacing MSH on my Colt Rail Gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on replacing MSH on my Colt Rail Gun

BrazosCoTX
08-22-2012, 11:12
So I want to replace the plastic MSH on my CRG with a steel one with a lanyard loop. After the obligatory internet search, it looks like the preferred part, from Brownell's (S&A flat with checkering) may not fit the Colt 1911 frame without some gunsmithing.

My question: are there better options, or should I bite the bullet, buy the part, and let the gunsmith have at it?

ca survivor
08-22-2012, 11:57
I should just slide in, you have to switch the internals to the new MSH, have to take the tension of the hammer spring to remove the small pin on top, it is easy if you have a vice to hold the punch in to push on the main spring, I would recommend that you Google it, there are some good videos that would explain it better than I did.

fnfalman
08-22-2012, 12:19
A lot of these parts need fitting anyway.

rock185
08-22-2012, 13:33
Brazos, I have changed many MSHs. The only one that actually required fitting was the Les Baer. In all fairness, Baer does say that their's are machined for a tight, gap-free fit. They Definitely are.The Ed Browns are very high quality, fit the Colt frames well, offer 25 lpi checkering, snakeskin or chain link styles, blue or stainless, etc. I think they recently started offering lanyard versions too. I know Wilson and Guncrafters have the lanyard types. ca and fn are both right, the new MSH should just slide in, but, infrequently, may need fitting.

Ps, what you may run into, even if the new MSH slips right in, is the Grip safety needing a slight adjustment and/or a poor fit of the lower rear corner of your gun and the MSH. I have had to very ocassionally refit the grip safety and/or blend the lower rear corner of the grip frame and new MSH.

faawrenchbndr
08-22-2012, 14:24
The last few I replaced, I used a Nighthawk msh

fnfalman
08-22-2012, 17:02
I had a Nighthawk MSH installed on my Colt XSE Lightweight Commander and it needed very minor fitting. It looked good and felt substantial, so I threw another two in for the Talo CCO (Officer's Model, of course) and M1991A1 Compact. The one for the Compact went right in and the one for the CCO required some very minor fitting.

faawrenchbndr
08-22-2012, 18:13
I did try a Nighthawk on a Les Baer......fit great, except the pin
hole was WAY off. Ended up getting a LB piece for that one.

zhix
08-23-2012, 06:58
I was not happy about the plastic MShousing on my 2009 Delta Elite; ordered a flat stainless one direct from Colt for about $40 IIRC and it fit fine.

4Rules
08-23-2012, 07:39
So I want to replace the plastic MSH on my CRG with a steel one with a lanyard loop. After the obligatory internet search, it looks like the preferred part, from Brownell's (S&A flat with checkering) may not fit the Colt 1911 frame without some gunsmithing.

My question: are there better options, or should I bite the bullet, buy the part, and let the gunsmith have at it?

Buy the part. Install the part. If the part won't fit, you have many options, including fitting it yourself, having it fitted, or returning the part to Brownells for exchange or refund.