shield avalibility? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shield avalibility?

Diesel McBadass
08-22-2012, 12:54
Where are people getting the M&P shield? Seems online distributors are out or backordered and gunstores say theres a waiting list and its hard for people to find em and they wait quite a while.

AKRover
08-22-2012, 13:16
My local gun shops haven't even seen the Shields yet but I thought that was just because I live in a small town. I really want to at least see the Shield in person before I make my next purchase since currently it is between the Shield 40 and the XDS. I'm leaning toward the XDS purely due to availability at this point but I'll see what's available when I'm ready to buy.

jamesbern
08-22-2012, 13:25
I've held both. Went with a XDs over a9mm Shield mainly because I already had a PPS in 9mm. I'm not regretting it at all, although i'd like to shoot a Shield at some point.

fastbolt
08-22-2012, 13:48
They're working hard to try and catch up with the huge demand. You'd think the non-stop demand for the M&P pistols line might have given them some inkling of how well the diminutive Shield models would sell, huh? :rofl:

A LE distributor in my state (S&W has 2 in CA) had 50 Shields that had been on back-order, and after they arrived they were down to 2 in about a week.

I'm planning to order one myself (under the armorer purchase program) after another recert class later this year. No telling how long I'll have to wait to get one from the factory, though. My last M&P took me a few months to get, and it would have been longer if I hadn't called and then agreed to change the model features (SKU) to something that was being produced at that time.

I've got to say, though, I had a chance to spend some range time with another instructor's Shield 9 the other day. I was using issued 124gr +P loads, and it felt like I was shooting standard pressure loads from a larger gun. I found I liked it better than my CS9. :wow:

Neat, slim & accurate little 9mm.

Bruce M
08-22-2012, 15:29
I like my Shield alot also. I paid for one a couple months back before S&W had published set a LEO price and a few weeks back my local store got another shipment of them (they got two when the first ones came out.) They were kind enough to extend that price to me despite that I had already paid for one at the highre price (~399 vs. 379.)

I also had the priviledge of shooting one a while back when the S&W representative came out to us to demonstrate the regular M&Ps. I can say with certainly the Shield works very well in tropical monsoons...

My sense is that the Shield is being made and shipped in batches as it seems that stores have them for a few days and then are out for a month or two.

My guess is also that the Shield is going to be a very popular concealed and plainclothes choice. While I don't think we will ever see any single handgun end up being as ubiquitous as was a J frame a few decades back, I am guessing that the Shield will end up being somewhat of a standard. Of course a few decades ago I thought the same of the Detonics.

Bruce M
08-22-2012, 15:37
... I found I liked it better than my CS9. :wow:

That's a pretty strong compliment for the Shield, Sir.

I would admit that since getting my Shield I have lowered what would be my top price for a 3913.

Diesel:
In an attempt to appear to not hijack the thread, my suggestion would be to check with your favorite store and if they give you a price that is good (I would go for ~420 or less) I would give them a deposit and wait. With the current spotty supply and good demand my guess is that you could sell it slightly used for ~400 easily if you ended up not liking it.

DougW
08-22-2012, 16:22
Local gun shop in Dallas area still has them on back order. Guess it will be months before S&W catches up. I will buy one when they become more available. Until then, I will keep crrying my G26.

Trey83
08-22-2012, 16:38
My stepfather just put a deposit down on one at a local store. He is #58 on the waiting list :shocked:

fastbolt
08-22-2012, 16:45
That's a pretty strong compliment for the Shield, Sir.

Shhhh!

I'm probably not going to broadcast that initial impression over on the S&W forums ... :whistling:

As much as I like TDA pistols for "ordinary working guns" ... and have acclimated myself to the striker guns ... the Shield's ergos & back-strap/palm-swell/trigger reach relationships make it a pretty handy little package for the single column subcompact genre.

Much better behaved and "pointable" than the PM9 I remember using a few years ago (and that was using 147gr standard pressure JHP's in the PM9).

TexasVine
08-22-2012, 16:48
Cant find them here in the Austin, Tx area. Although I have seen two used ones on TexasGunTrader.com going for $499.00. That's what "supply and demand" will do for you!

fusegsp
08-22-2012, 16:56
I got mine at a gun show. I found one for a buddy at the same show. We both got 9mm's and both paid $389 before tax. It seemed like there were more .40's available than 9mm's at this particular show. The dealer I usually deal with said all his 9mm's were sold before the show began to people who called ahead and reserved them.

glock2740
08-22-2012, 17:13
I've yet to see a Shield or an XDs in person. Leaning towards a Shield IF I ever see one. :faint:

jrpro130
08-22-2012, 18:37
I got really lucky, small gun store by my house had ONE. I was just calling around like i have been since they came out. I held a .40 cal version at another store, but didn't want 40, and to be honest the shield doesn't fit my hand well. I held the XDS also, I was sold on it, but waiting for a 9mm version!

I paid $549, which I am fine with, it's a hard gun to come by and IMO worth every penny. Inflation at it's best...or rather price gouging :)

03scgt
08-22-2012, 20:18
Shoot straight in Florida has a ton of them.the store in fort Myers has atleast 10 of them(9 and 40) Over the last 2 weeks for 449$

ctfireman
08-22-2012, 20:20
They seem to be plentiful around here.