Tula .40 S&W velocity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tula .40 S&W velocity

Andy W
08-22-2012, 17:19
Has anyone chrono'd Tula's 180 grain .40 load? I believe they claim a muzzle vel. of 990 fps or something like that. However, after shooting a couple boxes of the stuff, it feels pretty weak. Recoil isn't much stouter than 9mm defensive laods. I highly doubt it is getting 990 fps out of my G22 but I've never chronographed it. Has anyone ever actually tested the muzzle velocity of this stuff. It can't be more than mid 900s, maybe less. I would buy a box and chronograph them myself, but I don't have a chronograph as I don't currently reload.

Tiro Fijo
08-22-2012, 18:32
...However, after shooting a couple boxes of the stuff, it feels pretty weak...

That's like a man complaining because the women in a crack house are ugly & have no teeth. What did you expect for buying crappy Combloc ammo? :wavey:

:rofl:

collim1
08-22-2012, 19:02
I shot alot of Tula in 2011 but stopped buying it. I am not shooting as much this year and I really got tired of cleaning my gun after shooting Tula. After 2-300rds the chamber would be so crudded up that I would start having malfunctions, and it took some work to get the crud out.

Andy W
08-22-2012, 19:53
That's like a man complaining because the women in a crack house are ugly & have no teeth. What did you expect for buying crappy Combloc ammo? :wavey:

:rofl:

I wouldn't call it a complaint as much as an observation. Mild ammo is good for working on shooting fundamentals like sight alignment and trigger control. But seriously it does feel pretty anemic. I'd say recoil is maybe 20-30% less than WWB.

And actually, my dad still has a bunch of Wolf ammo in 9mm from several years ago. I think he ordered like 1,000 rounds and then mostly stopped shooting soon after. It wasn't until sometime last year that he really started again. Anyway, the old Wolf, at least in 9mm, actually feels a little hotter than other 9mm target ammo like Blazer, WWB, or Federal Champion.

FFR Spyder GT
08-25-2012, 06:55
It's a weak load. Great for target practice but it's weak.

I would guess around 900-925ft/sec max.

As long as WalMart carries it and it's cheap I'll shoot it.

Brucev
08-25-2012, 18:06
Has anyone chrono'd Tula's 180 grain .40 load? I believe they claim a muzzle vel. of 990 fps or something like that. However, after shooting a couple boxes of the stuff, it feels pretty weak. Recoil isn't much stouter than 9mm defensive laods. I highly doubt it is getting 990 fps out of my G22 but I've never chronographed it. Has anyone ever actually tested the muzzle velocity of this stuff. It can't be more than mid 900s, maybe less. I would buy a box and chronograph them myself, but I don't have a chronograph as I don't currently reload.

Never chrongraphed the Tula .40 S&W ammo. However firing from my G-22RTF, the Tula produced exactly the same on target results as any of the domestic manufacturers. The POI is POA with the Tula, exactly the same as with Win., Rem., Fed., etc. I shoot a lot of steel plates. They all go flying when hit by the Tula... the same as with any other 180 FMJ load. Having fired close to 2,000 rds. of the Tula .40 S&W, I've had perfect function in every respect. It works as well as any domestic FMJ load at about $2.00 less per box.