GSSF Noob Alert :-) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GSSF Noob Alert :-)

s0nspark
08-22-2012, 17:50
I will be entering my first GSSF match this Saturday in Columbia... and bringing my stepdad along so he can give this whole thing a try too. :-)

I am a bit nervous, having never done anything remotely like this before. I'm not terribly concerned about the competition side of things - I am prepared to perform dismally LOL - I just want to challenge myself and have fun.

Any good advice for a first timer?

PM720
08-22-2012, 18:01
Relax, don't try to shoot too fast and have FUN! Don't be in a rush to be the first shooter on any stage. Stand back and watch a few guys shoot to see how things work. Don't be afraid to tell the RO's you are a newbie as most are very helpful. Helping paste targets can be educational also as you can see who the better shooters are and watch their technique. Not all "fast" shooters are "good" shooters. :whistling:

Good luck and, what was that other thing? Oh yeah, HAVE FUN!!! :wavey:

Scott

c.helm
08-22-2012, 18:04
Hey, this will be my first time too, I'll be going Sunday. Maybe see ya there!

Everyone thanks for the tips, I'm looking forward to it!

Chris

s0nspark
08-22-2012, 18:16
Hey, this will be my first time too, I'll be going Sunday. Maybe see ya there!

Cool! Good luck :-)

Fisherman
08-22-2012, 18:27
No such thing as a dismal performance as long as you're having a good time. Follow the earlier advice; stand back and watch, ask questions and then tell the RO at each station that it's your first time. You'll really be pleased at all the folks who are more than ready to help. I'll be there Sunday. ENJOY. :fishing:

DannyR
08-22-2012, 19:07
It's a rain or shine event, so be prepared. I suggest:

rain gear
sun screen
bug spray
folding chair
water
hand cleaner

emtjr928
08-22-2012, 19:16
:cool:Be Safe and Have Fun!!!!!

Warning,, Warning,,, Warning,,, It can be very addictive.:whistling:

Ocean_glocker
08-22-2012, 19:28
I think we should get a "My First GSSF Match" Sticky up here...

Carbonfly
08-22-2012, 19:44
Hope to see you out there! My wife and I will be working the match on Saturday morning (Glock the Plates). We plan to shoot on Sunday.

SARDG
08-22-2012, 19:53
I will be entering my first GSSF match this Saturday in Columbia...

I am a bit nervous, having never done anything remotely like this before...

Hey, this will be my first time too...

Everyone thanks for the tips, I'm looking forward to it!

Chris
May I ask you both... if there was a 20-30 minute New Shooter Workshop/Briefing that ran throughout the day, at this or other GSSF matches for new GSSF competitors, would you be inclined to attend?

The brief would include initial procedures, basic rules, and generally what to expect at the firing line - as well as suggestions for succesfully shooting each course of fire.

Kitty

youngann
08-23-2012, 04:43
It's a rain or shine event, so be prepared. I suggest:

rain gear
sun screen
bug spray
folding chair
water
hand cleaner

Plus, 150 rounds for each division you plan on shooting and a minimum of four magazines. (It gets really frustrating when shooters have to reload on the firing line.)

Don't be intimidated by all the fast shooters you see, chances are, they're not in your division. Relax (yeah right!) and shoot your OWN match. I think you'll have a lot of fun. Good luck to all.

Glockrunner
08-23-2012, 07:41
Plus, 150 rounds for each division you plan on shooting and a minimum of four magazines. (It gets really frustrating when shooters have to reload on the firing line.)

Don't be intimidated by all the fast shooters you see, chances are, they're not in your division. Relax (yeah right!) and shoot your OWN match. I think you'll have a lot of fun. Good luck to all.
Ask a fellow competitor to help reload magazines if you don't have 4 of them. Sometimes even an extra RO will help.

Reloading on the line really isn't a big deal, this is a sport where we bend a lot for first time shooters.

unclebob
08-23-2012, 08:51
May I ask you both... if there was a 20-30 minute New Shooter Workshop/Briefing that ran throughout the day, at this or other GSSF matches for new GSSF competitors, would you be inclined to attend?

The brief would include initial procedures, basic rules, and generally what to expect at the firing line - as well as suggestions for succesfully shooting each course of fire.

Kitty

GSSF use to have a tape video for new shooters. For some reason they quite doing it. Unless the host club has the setup to show the video only the host clubs that are 500 miles of Smyrna GA would ever see it.

Fisherman
08-23-2012, 09:19
Back to the New Shooter briefing. Columbia will be my third match and I'm fairly comfortable now but a workshop as Sardg outlined would very likely have shortened the learning/comfort curve. :fishing:

SCC
08-23-2012, 09:22
take your time !!! and plan for the whole day

SARDG
08-23-2012, 09:35
GSSF use to have a tape video for new shooters. For some reason they quite doing it. Unless the host club has the setup to show the video only the host clubs that are 500 miles of Smyrna GA would ever see it.
I have heard that - and I think something needs to be done again. As noted in other GT posts, attendance has been record-breaking this year, and many of those increased numbers can be attributed to new shooters. Some 'basic training' could go a long way in adding to new shooter's understanding and enjoyment - and would likely also have the effect of speeding up play.

I've developed a PowerPoint for RO Training and am working on New Shooter Training and now bring my laptop and my video projector to every match I attend, just waiting for the OK to actually present one or both. I've presented RO Training one time; in Reevesville where the venue MD (Lisa Marie) asked that I present that RO Training.

Iím an NRA Instructor, a multiple-competition shooter, and of course a GSSF shooter and RO. I've identified a problem, I've developed a solution (actually two solutions - RO and New Shooter), I bring my own equipment to implement those solutions, and I await GSSF's approval to let it happen.

Fisherman
08-23-2012, 11:08
What has GSSF said, if anything regarding either or both presentations? Would a nudge from other shooters help? :fishing:

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 11:09

Kitty

Oh yes, absolutely :-)

unclebob
08-23-2012, 11:16
Probably what would work even better is put it on You Tube.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 11:17

Agreed!

SARDG
08-23-2012, 11:43
What has GSSF said, if anything regarding either or both presentations? Would a nudge from other shooters help? :fishing:

Oh yes, absolutely :-)
Approval has been a slow process - so slow that (except for a constant push by me) it appears stagnant. As for RO Training, Scott Gilbertson has reviewed it, but has mentioned liability as an issue as I am not a Glock employee. Scotty Banks unoffically went along with it in Reeveville at the request of Lisa Marie - but still gave his spiel prior to mine. The New Shooter presentation is still a work in progress - and I continue to take photos for use within it - but could be completed at the first hint of an okay by GSSF.

If I gave the briefing, it would also free up GSSF personnel to check the range for all those last minute things that begin to stack up prior to 9AM - and throughout the day. Unfortunately, I am not available for every match, nationwide - but it would be a good start until GSSF can carry it further, nationally.

Whether you are a new GSSF shooter, or was once a new GSSF shooter who could have benefited from such a presentation, you may want to speak to your friendly GSSF rep(s) at the next match you attend. Every one of the GSSF folks knows me by name and on sight - though they may disavow such knowledge :) - so you can mention my name if you like. "Kitty" is good enough as no other 'Kitty' currently on the circuit is such a giant PITA as this particular Kitty. :supergrin:

Thanks for your interest in this.

SARDG
08-23-2012, 12:07
My presentation is an Instructor-led PowerPoint - not conducive to YouTube posting. Instructor-led presentations allow for dialog and Q&A. They are a teaching and learning process.

In addition, if it was available online on YouTube, I would truly expect the results and viewership to be the same as those new shooters who proactively go seek out GSSF rules and RO Guides - a very low percentage. In addition, those who have read the rules prior to shooting, very often do not understand and take away everything that was hoped for. (Virtually no one - RO and shooter alike - reads the RO Guides, and yet every non-RO shooter would benefit from those Guides as well.

With Instructor-led briefings we know that shooters (and ROs) are getting the message - and can ask questions if they are not. Sometimes when we are trying new things, we don't even know what we don't know. An interactive classroom setting will help the new shooter identify those things.

I am an Instructor who involves her students and obviously knows the rules - to a fault some would say.:faint: Instructor-led breifings would be great pilot program to begin to gauge successes and to provide greater enjoyment to all our shooters.

c.helm
08-23-2012, 13:06

Kitty

Kitty,

I would sure appreciate any extra info and procedures that are to be followed for the matches. I've been shooting for 30 years but only in my "back 40" range. I can be there earlier if needed just email or pm me.

thank you

Chris

chrishelm1911 at gmail . com

PM720
08-23-2012, 13:21
As for RO Training, Scott Gilbertson has reviewed it, but has mentioned liability as an issue as I am not a Glock employee.

Well, there is an easy solution for this! :whistling::supergrin:

Scott

kyglockshooter
08-23-2012, 13:30

Kitty

Kitty - I believe I've seen you recommend a new shooters briefing in another thread. We just began shooting IDPA this summer, the IDPA new shooter briefing really helped me get over the first time jitters of moving and shooting. Additionally, the IDPA briefing stressed safety.

I like how all the RO's help as a new shooter comes to the line and I'm very pleased to see a new shooter's smile as they come off the line. If they had the opportunity for a briefing away from the firing line it probably would make their first match experience that much better.

SARDG
08-23-2012, 13:41
Kitty,

I would sure appreciate any extra info and procedures that are to be followed for the matches. I've been shooting for 30 years but only in my "back 40" range. I can be there earlier if needed just email or pm me.

thank you

Chris

chrishelm1911 at gmail . com
Chris,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I'd love to be able to tell you that I'll be there this weekend, doing this briefing - but I don't expect GSSF approval prior to the match and therefore have not scheduled this particular match in my plans. I'm always willing to travel to these SE matches if there is an audience, and approval from Glock/GSSF. Have PowerPoint and gun/Will travel.

If you can mention to any and all GSSF folks you see, that you believe a New Shooter brief would be helpful, it would at least put another bug in their ear. They are all generally (but not always) wearing red polo shirts.

One thing that you, and any other newer GSSF shooters could do is hang out at the one short briefing they do have - the RO briefing. There is still much to be gleaned from that for a new shooter. They are most often held outdoors somewhere and are not closed so you could just belly-up to the bar, so to speak. The briefings are scheduled to begin at 0800 on Saturdays - though they rarely start on time. Sundays, they may or may not have an RO briefing.

For now, and until you hear any breaking news, the RO brief may be a good alternative.

Kitty

SARDG
08-23-2012, 13:51
Well, there is an easy solution for this! :whistling::supergrin:

Scott
:) I offered to be a Glock employee for $1 per year, no benefits - but as a small business owner I also know full well that any employee - even a buck a year one - is extra added expense and liability for a company. Government agencies and major corporations are required to train, counsel, and generally support their employees. Even if I was an employee, there is potential for liability - maybe more so.

SARDG
08-23-2012, 14:09
Kitty - I believe I've seen you recommend a new shooters briefing in another thread. We just began shooting IDPA this summer, the IDPA new shooter briefing really helped me get over the first time jitters of moving and shooting. Additionally, the IDPA briefing stressed safety.

I like how all the RO's help as a new shooter comes to the line and I'm very pleased to see a new shooter's smile as they come off the line. If they had the opportunity for a briefing away from the firing line it probably would make their first match experience that much better.
Oh yes... I've been talking-up New Shooter and RO briefings for some time. And safety is at the forefront of any briefing, as you might expect.

Every other discipline I shoot (6 altogether now) have new shooter briefings. And of course, you don't have the same issues encountered in GSSF where a relatively large number of new shooters show up for each and every match. In other disciplines the briefing normally advances to mentoring and someone is holding your hand for a period of weeks, even after the initial brief.

Both GSSF New Shooter and more standardized GSSF RO training are long overdue. We might have a movement here, developed right from this thread. The next time any of you who believe in this training are at a GSSF match, mention it to every GSSF person you see.

SCC
08-23-2012, 17:08
I think it would be a + as i remember the one they used to show when you came to a match long time ago

SCC
08-23-2012, 17:14
I will be entering my first GSSF match this Saturday in Columbia... and bringing my step dad along so he can give this whole thing a try too. :-)

I am a bit nervous, having never done anything remotely like this before. I'm not terribly concerned about the competition side of things - I am prepared to perform dismally LOL - I just want to challenge myself and have fun.

and don't load ammo in a safe zone
Handel a gun only in a safe zone !! no ammo set it aside the safe zone ..
you can load ammo in the mags any where but a safe zone ...hope this helps scc :wavey:

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 17:21
and don't load ammo in a safe zone
Handel a gun only in a safe zone !! no ammo set it aside the safe zone ..
you can load ammo in the mags any where but a safe zone ...hope this helps scc :wavey:

In reading over the rules, this is the kind of thing I feel is unclear. There are plenty of warnings against what not to do but it isn't clearly explained what *to* do IMO. Thanks for the clarity.

I know I need to sign up at all three stages - is that done all at once after I register? Then I check the squad box as soon as I'm ready to wait at a specific stage to shoot, correct?

BTW, what is stacking? The stage rules say no stacking but doesn't explain what that is :)

(I did say Noob Alert!)

Actually shooting the stages is really the least of my "worries" ... it is how to follow the proper procedures that is unclear to me :-)

... and I totally agree. A clear guide to procedures with a glossary would benefit from being stickied.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 17:24
Actually shooting the stages is really the least of my "worries" ... it is how to follow the proper procedures that is unclear to me :-)

... and I have to be honest. This has kept me from taking part in the matches for going on three years now. I'm sure everyone is not so hesitant to screw up in public but maybe there are others like me that just want a clear understanding before they take the plunge :-D

Thanks to all for the reassurance and tips!

unclebob
08-23-2012, 17:25
You can not put 6 shots in one target then move to the next target and put 6 more shots in it. Two in each target for each string of fire.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 17:26
You can not put 6 shots in one target then move to the next target and put 6 more shots in it. Two in each target for each string of fire.

So it means honoring the limit of two per target?

unclebob
08-23-2012, 17:37
... and I have to be honest. This has kept me from taking part in the matches for going on three years now. I'm sure everyone is not so hesitant to screw up in public but maybe there are others like me that just want a clear understanding before they take the plunge :-D

Thanks to all for the reassurance and tips!

Just donít take your gun out of the bag or holster until told to by the RO. Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction down range. Tell the RO you are a new shooter. Follow the RO directions and you will do fine. A GSSF match is not all that complicated. It is just basic gun handling procedures.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 17:40
Just donít take your gun out of the bag or holster until told to by the RO. Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction down range. Tell the RO you are a new shooter. Follow the RO directions and you will do fine. A GSSF match is not all that complicated. It is just basic gun handling procedures.

I guess I just confuse myself reading over the rules :-)

Thanks!

SARDG
08-23-2012, 17:41
Yes, 2 per paper target per string - not filling up a paper target with 6 holes before moving on to the next target and filling that with 6 holes, etc.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 17:41
Yes, 2 per paper target per string - not filling up a paper target with 6 holes before moving on to the next target and filling that with 6 holes, etc.

Great... thanks!

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 17:43
I'm sure the rules will make a lot more sense once I've been through this :-)

unclebob
08-23-2012, 17:46

Yep. Take 5 the Glock you put two shoots in each of the 5 targets. Reload and do it again, and again.
Glock M. you do the same thing two shoots in each of the D-1 targets and you can empty the gun on one pepper popper if needed. But remember only knock over one pepper popper for each string of fire.
Plate rack you have 11 shoots to knock over 6 plates.
Maj Sub you put one round in each target and you can only have 7 rounds in the gun.

SARDG
08-23-2012, 17:50
I guess I just confuse myself reading over the rules :-)

Thanks!
While you are in the middle of being confused... are you clear on how many rounds (IN THE GUN) you are allowed to (and should) begin each string with?

Also, the rules and now the newest RO Guides also say that you may have a reshoot for ANYTHING - ammo, brain freeze, range equipment failure, firearm failure, or esentially.. just because. Beware, many ROs are not aware of this and few may proactively offer that reshoot.

emtjr928
08-23-2012, 17:59
Kitty and I have had several off forum conversations about this subject so she knows that I am very much in favor of a more simplified and consistent presentation of GSSF rules and procedures. This would go a long way to ensuring that these new GSSF shooters continue to return to become grizzled veterans.
Some have mentioned the apparent reluctant nature of GSSF when broached with this subject. I have never seen the agreement that GSSF and the host club enter into. The separation of responsibilities between GSSF (Glock) and the host clubmay be in order to try to isolate any liability issues. Don't know, it's just a thought.
Even if this is the case, with the increasing size of the events and everyone's desire to have safe, fun events, it is in the interest of GSSF and the entrants for us to look for ways to clean up any existing confusion and clutter. We may be able to slog our way through 300-400 entrants, but those shortcomings become untenable at 600-800 and above. I will have the opportunity to volunteer at an upcoming event and hope to add my 2 cents worth in a positive direction.
Stay Safe

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 18:19
While you are in the middle of being confused... are you clear on how many rounds (IN THE GUN) you are allowed to (and should) begin each string with?

I am shooting in Civilian as an amateur with a G19 so I believe the max is 11 per mag. My stepdad and I will be sharing a gun but I am bringing 8 mags so we each can have 3 or 4 loaded per stage, as required. We shoot a stage and then reload for the next... Sound reasonable?

Also, the rules and now the newest RO Guides also say that you may have a reshoot for ANYTHING - ammo, brain freeze, range equipment failure, firearm failure, or esentially.. just because. Beware, many ROs are not aware of this and few may proactively offer that reshoot.

Well, I am not expecting to need to take advantage of that... I hope to watch plenty upfront and then ask any questions I may have of the RO before actually shooting. Nice to know the rules are so forgiving, though. Just knowing that at the entry level is comforting.

unclebob
08-23-2012, 18:28
I am shooting in Civilian as an amateur with a G19 so I believe the max is 11 per mag. My stepdad and I will be sharing a gun but I am bringing 8 mags so we each can have 3 or 4 loaded per stage, as required. We shoot a stage and then reload for the next... Sound reasonable?

11 rounds in the gun.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 18:34
11 rounds in the gun.

Right. I was assuming none in the gun to start and one mag of 11 per string...

If all goes well I should only need 10 per string, though, right? Is there any advantage to just loading 10 on any of the stages?

SARDG
08-23-2012, 18:41
Technically, the max to begin a string with is 11 IN THE GUN - that would 10 in the mag, and one in the chamber. IF you end up starting with 12 and take an extra shot, you would get an extra-shot penalty.

If you began with 10 in the gun, and hadn't hit or knocked down steel in the string, you will be shortchanging yourself as any Course of Fire with steel (as in plates or 'M') you are allowed to take up to that 11th shot to hit or knock down steel as the case may be.

Some shooters begin '5' with 10 in the gun as only 2 rounds are allowed per paper target. The 11th round could normally be used then if you had a malf, cleared your gun, and continued shooting. Now, gun clearing on the clock is no longer really necessary. I however, begin every string. on every stage with 11. (except MajorSub)

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 18:42
Technically, the max to begin a string with is 11 IN THE GUN - that would 10 in the mag, and one in the chamber. IF you end up starting with 12 and take an extra shot, you would get an extra-shot penalty.

If you began with 10 in the gun, and hadn't hit or knocked down steel in the string, you will be shortchanging yourself as any Course of Fire with steel (as in plates or 'M') you are allowed to take up to that 11th shot to hit or knock down steel as the case may be.

Some shooters begin '5' with 10 in the gun as only 2 rounds are allowed per paper target. The 11th round could normally be used then if you had a malf, cleared your gun, and continued shooting. Now, gun clearing on the clock is no longer really necessary. I however, begin every string. on every stage with 11. (except MajorSub)

Cool - that is what I was thinking, more or less...

SARDG
08-23-2012, 18:44
...If all goes well I should only need 10 per string, though, right?
If all goes REAL well, you only need 9 for each 'M' string and only 6 for each plate string. :)

unclebob
08-23-2012, 18:46

If all goes well I should only need 10 per string, though, right? Is there any advantage to just loading 10 any of the stages?

All of my mags I have 10 rounds. I use a stripper mag. When the Ro tells to make ready I put the stripper mag in, put one round in the chamber pull that mag out and put a mag with 10 rounds in. Shoot the string and pull the mag install another 10 round mag. Iím back to 11 rounds in the gun. This way every string of fire from 5 the Glock, Glock M, and the plates I do the same thing each and every time.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 18:47
If all goes REAL well, you only need 9 for each 'M' string and only 6 for each plate string. :)

RIGHT - thanks for catching that :-)

This is a lot to keep in mind up front (for a noob) but I am planning to take it one stage at a time and ask plenty of questions if I am not sure.

I really appreciate the help here!

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 18:48
All of my mags I have 10 rounds. I use a stripper mag. When the Ro tells to make ready I put the stripper mag in, put one round in the chamber pull that mag out and put a mag with 10 rounds in. Shoot the string and pull the mag install another 10 round mag. Iím back to 11 rounds in the gun. This way every string of fire from 5 the Glock, Glock M, and the plates I do the same thing each and every time.

OK, cool ... I see :-) Thanks!

emtjr928
08-23-2012, 18:55

If all goes well I should only need 10 per string, though, right? Is there any advantage to just loading 10 on any of the stages?

Depends on the stage. Have you read the course of fire (stage) descriptions and rules available here?:http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/2012_The_GLOCK_Report.pdf

GLOCK17DB9
08-23-2012, 18:55
good luck and don't forget to have fun!:wavey:

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 18:58
Depends on the stage. Have you read the course of fire (stage) descriptions and rules available here?:http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/2012_The_GLOCK_Report.pdf

Yes, except I missed the fact that I'd only need 9 on GLOCK'm and 6 on Glock the Plates with a "perfect" run :-)

SARDG
08-23-2012, 19:03
All of my mags I have 10 rounds. I use a stripper mag...

OK, cool ... I see :-) Thanks!
Everyone does this differently and there are threads full of GSSF shooter's idea on what is the best way to end up with 11 in your gun at the beginning of a string. After you observe and shoot a match or two, you will develop a way that works best for you.

I have 10 mags for every Division I shoot and load them to 11-10-10, 11-10-10, 11-10-10-10 because I do not shoot to slide lock. Just keep an open mind when considering the best way for you.

PM720
08-23-2012, 19:04
Yes, except I missed the fact that I'd only need 9 on GLOCK'm
:-)

Assuming you hit the popper with the first shot. That's why I load all 11 on the plates and M. :embarassed:

Scott

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 19:05
Assuming you hit the popper with the first shot. That's why I load all 11 on the plates and M. :embarassed:

Scott

Well, believe me when I say I'm expecting to need all I'm allowed, at least first time out! :-)

unclebob
08-23-2012, 19:05
Yes, except I missed the fact that I'd only need 9 on GLOCK'm
:-)

Remember any steel you can shoot at it as many times you want or until you used up your 11 rounds. D-1 targets you only get 2 shoots at each D-1 per string. If you miss and know you missed you cannot go back and shoot it again.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 19:07
Remember any steel you can shoot at it as many times you want or until you used up your 11 rounds. D-1 targets you only get 2 shoots at each D-1 per string. If you miss and know you missed you cannot go back and shoot it again.

Ok, so two shots, not two hits... right? Steel is the only target I can use the "extra" rounds for?

emtjr928
08-23-2012, 19:08
Nine is the minimum for Glock M, 10 is the minimum for 5 to Glock and 6 is the minimum for Glock the plates. When the CRO gives the command to load and make ready for the first string of say Glock M, you would insert a magazine containing max. 11 rounds rack the slide to chamber a round and assume one of the approved ready positions. Say you have no misses. That leaves an empty magazine and one in the chamber. Then on the next load and make ready command you should load a magazine with a maximum of 10 round giving you the max. of 11 available. If in shooting Glock M, after firing two rounds at each D1 tombstone target, it takes the remaining three rounds to score a hit an the steel. In this case at the load and make ready command you would insert a magazine with 11 rounds, rack the slide to chamber a round and assume the ready position.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 19:11
Nine is the minimum for Glock M, 10 is the minimum for 5 to Glock and 6 is the minimum for Glock the plates. When the CRO gives the command to load and make ready for the first string of say Glock M, you would insert a magazine containing max. 11 rounds rack the slide to chamber a round and assume one of the approved ready positions. Say you have no misses. That leaves an empty magazine and one in the chamber. Then on the next load and make ready command you should load a magazine with a maximum of 10 round giving you the max. of 11 available. If in shooting Glock M, after firing two rounds at each D1 tombstone target, it takes the remaining three rounds to score a hit an the steel. In this case at the load and make ready command you would insert a magazine with 11 rounds, rack the slide to chamber a round and assume the ready position.

Ok, thanks! I have been assuming that I'd clear the gun between strings and start with a fresh mag of 11.

unclebob
08-23-2012, 19:11
Ok, so two shots, not two hits... right? Steel is the only target I can use the "extra" rounds for?

right. I hope you do two hits on the target or two shots how ever you want to look at it.

s0nspark
08-23-2012, 19:12
right. I hope you do two hits on the target or two shots how ever you want to look at it.

Well, hopefully two shots is two hits! It helps to understand the limitation of what targets can receive multiple "attempts" :-)

Thank you!

SARDG
08-23-2012, 19:19
Ok, thanks! I have been assuming that I'd clear the gun between strings and start with a fresh mag of 11.
That's just extra manipulation of the gun to clear it. If you have a round remaining in the chamber after your string, and your mags are all loaded to 11, thumb one off the top of that next mag.

Glockrunner
08-23-2012, 19:22
s0nspark, You want to tag along with me Saturday?

emtjr928
08-23-2012, 19:24
If you have the appetite for more reading on the rules, procedures and functions of each Range Officer you can read the guides posted here:http://gssfonline.com/range-officer.cfm

SCC
08-23-2012, 19:29
I do the same as you every time .. :supergrin:

SARDG
08-23-2012, 19:32
I do the same as you every time .. :supergrin:
If you guys didn't waste all your ammo shooting to slide-lock, you wouldn't have to do that. :tongueout:

SARDG
08-23-2012, 19:34
s0nspark- Glockrunner's your go-to guy and knows his stuff. Hang with him since he offered.

unclebob
08-23-2012, 19:40
If you guys didn't waste all your ammo shooting to slide-lock, you wouldn't have to do that. :tongueout:

Only if the jerk follows me to the match.:crying:

s0nspark
08-24-2012, 17:38

Thanks much for the offer! I just found out we may not be able to make it until Sunday... will you be there then too? Fingers crossed for tomorrow, though!

I kind of dropped attending this match on my stepdad at the last minute... he is not (yet) a member (and not really a Glock guy) but I'm working to convince him to try this too...

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement :-)

Glockrunner
08-24-2012, 17:46
Thanks much for the offer! I just found out we may not be able to make it until Sunday... will you be there then too? Fingers crossed for tomorrow, though!

I kind of dropped attending this match on my stepdad at the last minute... he is not (yet) a member (and not really a Glock guy) but I'm working to convince him to try this too...

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement :-)

I'll only be there Sat 0900 - til I finish. Hadn't planned to shoot this match but a frirnd wanted to so I joined him. Now he backed out due to family comitments.

s0nspark
08-24-2012, 17:52
Well if we do make it Saturday it will probably be lunchtime or so before we'll get there. I really do appreciate the offer in any case!

One of the things I hear again and again is how great everyone in GSSF is towards new shooters. I'm looking forward to experiencing that firsthand ... and having a lot of fun too :-)

SARDG
08-24-2012, 18:08
Well if we do make it Saturday it will probably be lunchtime or so before we'll get there. I really do appreciate the offer in any case!

One of the things I hear again and again is how great everyone in GSSF is towards new shooters. I'm looking forward to experiencing that firsthand ... and having a lot of fun too :-)
One thing about tagging along and learning from Glockrunner is that he knows the rules, he has organized matches, and he knows all the correct RO policies and procedures - and all the safety measures. You'll have to trust me when I say that this isn't always the case for every shooter and every RO at these matches.

Yep, ol' GLockrunner is a diamond in the rough. :supergrin:

emtjr928
08-24-2012, 18:24
[QUOTE]Yep, ol' GLockrunner is a diamond in the rough. /QUOTE]

You sayin' Glockrunner is an Old Lump of Coal?

Glockrunner
08-25-2012, 04:35
[QUOTE]Yep, ol' GLockrunner is a diamond in the rough. /QUOTE]

You sayin' Glockrunner is an Old Lump of Coal?
HARD PRESSED old lump of coal with all the rough edges.:rofl:

SARDG
08-25-2012, 08:57
HARD PRESSED old lump of coal with all the rough edges.:rofl:
At least Mrs. Glockrunner is there to keep you straight and a bit more 'polished'.

Good luck today - you are probably already there and Pat is off winning High Female Guardian.

emtjr928
08-25-2012, 09:08
"You're gonna be a diamond some day."

Billy Joe Shaver
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glockrunner
08-25-2012, 09:29
At least Mrs. Glockrunner is there to keep you straight and a bit more 'polished'.

Good luck today - you are probably already there and Pat is off winning High Female Guardian.

We Are done! WOW

SARDG
08-25-2012, 09:34
We Are done! WOW
WOW what? Go post something in the debriefing thread and tell us what's going on and how you did.

s0nspark
08-26-2012, 08:45
Well, we did make it yesterday about 11am but would have arrived a bit earlier (note to self: google the directions next time instead of trusting the supplied "map" LOL)

We got registered and signed in... I ended up shooting the stages exactly backwards from the order I intended to simply because of the wait. Some of the stages moved very slowly and others (the plates) were pretty much walk up and shoot. There was also a noticeable difference in how seriously some of the RO's approached their responsibilities.

I had a great time despite my performance... it occurred to me when I was on the line at '5 to Glock' that this was both my first time shooting multiple targets and my first time shooting beyond 15 yards. Time to find a new range to practice at! :-) All in all I learned a lot, especially from watching other shooters.

I hope to make it to the upcoming match in Morganton and, hopefully, between now and then I'll be able to work on some of the opportunities for improvement that this match highlighted.

I am really glad I went!

SARDG
08-26-2012, 09:00
Well, we did make it yesterday...
Appreciate you cycling back through this original thread with info, but remember that specific match related reports and photos are typically posted in the match Debriefing Thread.

s0nspark
08-26-2012, 09:02
Appreciate you cycling back through this original thread with info, but remember that specific match related reports and photos are typically posted in the match Debriefing Thread.

Gotcha! Sorry...