Who needs a gun 30 minutes after buying it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a gun 30 minutes after buying it?

dnuggett
08-22-2012, 19:42
Since the last thread where this question was asked was closed due to some poor forum etiquette the question "Who needs a gun 30 minutes after buying it?" never got to be answered.

So I ask all of you...

Who wants their gun immediately after buying it? Who is ok with waiting a mandatory waiting period? What is your opinion of the merits of either scenario?

I know my answer to these questions but since I'm asking or more so repeating the question, I'll just shut up and listen. At least for a bit.

oldman11
08-22-2012, 19:54
A long time ago I lived in Calif. and I think they had a 3 day waiting period then. It was mildly annoying, but nothing I couldn't live with. In other states I've lived in, they had the same waiting period but If you had a CCP or CHL then the waiting period was waived. The waiting period thing came about because the anti-gunners convinced everyone that a person might buy a gun and walk across the street to rob a bank, or kill someone. That only happens in movies and that's where their rationale comes from. Like most anti-gun laws, they don't prevent crime, they actually make it easier for the criminals when no one can protect themselves.

Trey83
08-22-2012, 19:54
I like instant gratification. The last few guns I've purchased came from internet sales so I had to wait on shipping.

ctfireman
08-22-2012, 20:13
I'm not familiar with all states but here in CT you leave with your gun within 15 minutes as long as you have a carry permit. Without a permit you can't purchase a handgun period but can buy a shotgun / rifle on a two week wait. It would be annoying to not leave with my new gun same day.

jbglock
08-22-2012, 20:16
Since the last thread where this question was asked was closed due to some poor forum etiquette the question "Who needs a gun 30 minutes after buying it?" never got to be answered.

So I ask all of you...

Who wants their gun immediately after buying it? Who is ok with waiting a mandatory waiting period? What is your opinion of the merits of either scenario?

I know my answer to these questions but since I'm asking or more so repeating the question, I'll just shut up and listen. At least for a bit.

You are really asking two questions.
1. Who needs it immediately? In most states a domestic assault victim or sexual assault victim can apply for an emergency permit to purchase and carry concealed from their local sheriff's office. If approved I don't think they should have to wait.
2. Who wants it immediately? I do for one. If I can legally buy it I shouldn't have to wait. I haven't read any of the responses yet so maybe someone can present me a compelling reason why I should have to wait.

Travclem
08-22-2012, 20:17
The only thing limiting how fast you get your gun in TX is how fast you can fill out a 4473. Wait periods are for the communists.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

bac1023
08-22-2012, 20:24
I want it as soon as I pay for it.

NeverMore1701
08-22-2012, 20:27
As soon as I pay for my steaks, they're mine. Why should any other product be any different?

glock2740
08-22-2012, 20:27
i want it as soon as i pay for it.
bingo!!!

GAFinch
08-22-2012, 20:35
I've inspected a gun I've bought immediately afterward in the car, taken it directly to the range, and had it wiped down, loaded, and put on my belt all before my lunch break ended.

dnuggett
08-22-2012, 20:38
You are really asking two questions.

I think I'm asking five questions. Who needs a gun in 30 minutes? Who wants a gun immediately? Who is ok with a mandatory waiting period? What are the merits of immediate? What are the merits of mandatory waiting?

Damn that's a lot of questions. Let's not get all academic up in here. Just pick and choose. :cool:

Hef
08-22-2012, 20:42
If I pay for my merchandise I have the expectation that I can and will take it home right then and there. On the topic of guns specifically, a waiting period is stupid and useless. If I intended to go shoot someone or go on some sort of
crime spree, I already own more than enough guns and ammo to arm myself and several others, so not having my most recent purchase for a week or so isn't going to make any difference.

MrMurphy
08-22-2012, 20:46
A car is far more lethal than a gun and you drive it off the lot the same day......

fendertele87
08-22-2012, 20:55
In Texas; you buy it and it's yours. That's how I like it. :-)

Bang! Bang! Pow! Pow!

JBnTX
08-22-2012, 21:45
In Texas if you have a CHL, how quick you can get your gun is only limited by how fast you can fill out the form 4473.

I've been in and out with my new gun in less than 10 minutes.

simotek
08-22-2012, 21:48
As soon as I pay for it. That's how it is in VA, and that's how I like it.

Berto
08-22-2012, 21:58
It typically takes about 30min anyways; from the time I pick out the gun, to filling out the form, waiting for the call-in and response to actually walking out the door with it.

I'm cool with that.:whistling:

fendertele87
08-22-2012, 22:02
^^^^^^

Da whistle go wooo wooo!

cowboy1964
08-22-2012, 23:03
Homer Simpson: "Five days?! But I'm mad NOW."

The Simpsons - Gun Shop - YouTube

janice6
08-22-2012, 23:40

This for me too! I don't have to wait days for my car, why my gun?

Who??? Homer simpson that's who!

domin8ss
08-22-2012, 23:56
As soon as I pay for it. That's how it is in VA, and that's how I like it.

QFT!

No forms to fill out either. In Virginia you either have to be a resident or active duty military with orders to a base in that state. Since my wife is active duty, and we're Utah residents, when I bought a gun there I had her buy it for me and then turn around and gift it to me. No forms whatsoever. She just needed to present a copy of her orders.

SPIN2010
08-23-2012, 00:00
As stated above: As soon as I pay for it.

domin8ss
08-23-2012, 00:02
I think I'm asking five questions. Who needs a gun in 30 minutes? Who wants a gun immediately? Who is ok with a mandatory waiting period? What are the merits of immediate? What are the merits of mandatory waiting?

Damn that's a lot of questions. Let's not get all academic up in here. Just pick and choose. :cool:

1) Anybody that could be harmed within that time.

2) Whoever is buying it.

3) Somebody who is ignorant our doesn't mind dying because of some stupid waiting period.

4) Saves gas, time, and lives.

5) I really don't see any. Crooks don't typically buy from legal arms dealers. They want to stay as under the radar as possible.

All of this is my opinion though.

glock_19guy1983
08-23-2012, 00:02
People want to make firearms into a product that is different from any other product that can kill. Would it be silly to have mandatory waiting periods on cars, alcohol, cigarettes, and knives? Why should a firearm be any different? The consumer should not have to wait on any product assuming the vendor has the item in stock.

Big Mad Dawg
08-23-2012, 00:59
I buy it they do the phone call for background check a few minutes later I walk out with the gun.
I don’t need a nanny state to hold my hand and refuse to live in a state that has a waiting period.

SCHADENFREUDE
08-23-2012, 01:17
Why can't I have my gun as soon as the paperwork is done? How many people have been killed within five days of people buying a gun? I would have to see those numbers before a real answer can form.

My knee jerk answer is that the liberals can take there garbage like the thought I need to wait to take home private property and shove it. Should I have a wait time on gas, knives, baseball bats, fertilizer, ETC?

j cal
08-23-2012, 01:18
What I don't get is why there is a wait period even if I bring my firearm to use the range.

nelsone
08-23-2012, 01:37
Great thinking here: a five-day wait for alcohol would make a heckuva lot more sense.

Next time, just tell the store owner that there's a five-day wait after you buy the item before you come back and PAY for it. See how that goes.

It doesn't take ONE day to run that background check, and after that it's all unsubstantiated fear-mongering and hoplophobia.

Remember that Steve McQueen flick, where he walks in, buys the shotgun, and tears up the town? The Getaway:
Best Shotgun Movie (Steve Mcqueen - The Getaway) - YouTube
Maybe that's where this waiting-period "logic" comes from.

08-23-2012, 02:14
The only thing limiting how fast you get your gun in TX is how fast you can fill out a 4473. Wait periods are for the communists.

Exactly!

faawrenchbndr
08-23-2012, 02:34

So I ask all of you...

Who needs a car 30 mins after buying it?
Who needs a microwave 30 mins after buying it?
Who needs a car refrigerator mins after buying it?
Who needs a car tv mins after buying it?
Who needs a car dvd player mins after buying it?
Who needs a car beer mins after buying it?

It's all about the, why should I have to wait. Criminals buying guns
from a car trunk do not wait. Why should I?
Gun laws only hurt honest people. Punish the criminal, not the honest!

grumpy1
08-23-2012, 06:21
During the Rodney King LA riots a lot of people rushed to their local gun store to buy a firearm because they needed one NOW in a real SHTF scenario to protect themselves, their families, and their businesses from extremely violent rioters especially in neighborhoods that the police abandoned due to fear of their own safety. Of course they could not becuase of the stupid waiting period. The rioters did not seem to be impeded by such as they simply broke into gun stores and stole the firearms or stole them somewhere else.

DonD
08-23-2012, 06:35
Without a permit you can't purchase a handgun period

What BS justification does CT use for this infringement of the 2nd Amendment?

No one should have to have a concealed carry permit in order to buy a handgun. Makes no sense to anyone but an anti gun looney. Don

Cambo
08-23-2012, 06:39
I propose a 3 day waiting period on fire extinguishers, if you have a fire in your kitchen, you'll just have to wait to get it. Your other option is to wait for the fire department to arrive.
In all seriousness, a person being threatened or stalked would be the perfect example of why they would need a gun immediately. That being said, if anyone passes the NICS check they should be able to walk out the door with the gun no questions asked.

scccdoc
08-23-2012, 06:50
Is there a waiting period for cars after you buy them? DOC

KYFlatfoot
08-23-2012, 07:04
Im trying to rationalize the lefts thought on this, so here is about best I could come up with.

Having a waiting period "may" prevent crimes of passion (killing your spouse and her lover after finding them together) and maybe prevent someone going through depression wanting to end it with a firearm. This waiting period would give them time to think and or seek help.

Again, I am not agreeing with this waiting period. Just trying to come up with a reason for their thinking. I realize that someone depressed can overdose or hang themselves, and that a crime of passion can be resolved with a knife or any blunt object. Or in both cases someone could buy a firearm illegally.

I personally think its dumb to wait. Buying a firearm is like buying a new toy, and you want to take it out and play with it ASAP. If I want to kill you or commit a robbery etc. I will find another way if I have to wait. Or just wait three days and then kill you or rob you.

Here in KY you can get your gun as long as your background check is good. Just how I like it. Immediate Gratification!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SigFTW
08-23-2012, 07:11
I want the gun before I buy it :shocked:

Psychman
08-23-2012, 07:22

Yup. Fortunately in Indiana that is NO problem.

coachg
08-23-2012, 07:23
I propose a 3 day waiting period on fire extinguishers, if you have a fire in your kitchen, you'll just have to wait to get it. Your other option is to wait for the fire department to arrive.
In all seriousness, a person being threatened or stalked would be the perfect example of why they would need a gun immediately. That being said, if anyone passes the NICS check they should be able to walk out the door with the gun no questions asked.

This is the reason. If someone is being threatened or stalked or has any immediate need to protect themselves they should be able to go the the gun store and walk out with one.

Bren
08-23-2012, 07:25

So I ask all of you...

The odds of ever needing a gun are small, but if the person is buying the gun because there is an immediate need for self-defense (domestic violence, death threats, stalking, etc.) then 30 minutes after buying it is as likely as 2 days or 3 days or 5 days and probably more likely than a year later.

I can't imagine what people are thinking who want a waiting period, other than "we'll do anything we can to make owning a gun more difficult or expensive or ineffective."

Bren
08-23-2012, 07:38
Im trying to rationalize the lefts thought on this, so here is about best I could come up with.

Having a waiting period "may" prevent crimes of passion (killing your spouse and her lover after finding them together) and maybe prevent someone going through depression wanting to end it with a firearm. This waiting period would give them time to think and or seek help.

Again, I am not agreeing with this waiting period. Just trying to come up with a reason for their thinking. I realize that someone depressed can overdose or hang themselves, and that a crime of passion can be resolved with a knife or any blunt object. Or in both cases someone could buy a firearm illegally.

I personally think its dumb to wait. Buying a firearm is like buying a new toy, and you want to take it out and play with it ASAP. If I want to kill you or commit a robbery etc. I will find another way if I have to wait. Or just wait three days and then kill you or rob you.

Here in KY you can get your gun as long as your background check is good. Just how I like it. Immediate Gratification!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

When dealing with activist types, right or left, there is always "what they say the reason it" and "what the real reason is." The real reason is a steady policy, since at least the 60's, of trying to chip[ away at gun rights by taking any opening, no matter how small - can't get a ban? Thenn a waiting period and a background check and an excise tax and record keeping, etc., etc. will make it so inconvenient that people will be discouraged from buying guns. The wait9ing periods are not just one thing that stands alone, they are a small part of a bigger strategy.

This is the same whether it's left-wing nuts wanting a waiting period or right wing nuts wanting the 10 commandments posted in the courthouse (as a historical record).

Bren
08-23-2012, 07:51
QFT!

No forms to fill out either. In Virginia you either have to be a resident or active duty military with orders to a base in that state. Since my wife is active duty, and we're Utah residents, when I bought a gun there I had her buy it for me and then turn around and gift it to me. No forms whatsoever. She just needed to present a copy of her orders.

You'll need to show me a link to that exception to the 4473 for active duty military - I've never seen it and, considering all active duty aren't even allowed to possess a firearm in the civilian world, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

pretty sure it's also a federal crime for her to buy a gun for you in a state where you can't legally buy it.

Z71bill
08-23-2012, 08:05
You need to think about the real reason the anti gun groups want a waiting period.

It effectively shuts down gun shows....

How many vendors would TRAVEL to a different city to set up a booth at a gun show - if they had to come back a few days later to deliver the gun?

How many people would buy a gun from a dealer at a gun show - if they had to come back in a few days to pick up the gun?

What about buying a gun at a gun show from a private citizen?

If really hurts face to face - private citizen to private citizen sales.

First of all - would you give some guy you didn't know the money for a gun - for a promise to meet up in a few days and pick up the guy? :rofl:

Plus it would require some system to document when the sale was made VS when the gun was delivered.

Plus plus --

If you look at the % of guns sold every year - that are sold to a person with zero guns it would be a small %.

So if I already have 10 guns - what the hell good would a "cooling off period" have on my ability to go postal?

EdMan63
08-23-2012, 08:16
I've never had to wait here in Michigan. Fill out your paperwork and walk out with your firearm if you have a CPL. I'm sure I would not like waiting as I want my purchase when I pay for it.

DonD
08-23-2012, 08:49
I've never seen it and, considering all active duty aren't even allowed to possess a firearm in the civilian world

Please correct me if I've made a mistake here. Are you really saying active duty military personnel are not allowed to own firearms?

Hard to believe that has happened. I owned firearms all the 21 yrs I was on active duty and had firearms in my quarters on the two occasions I lived on base.

Please explain. Don

whoflungdo
08-23-2012, 09:00
The odds of ever needing a gun are small, but if the person is buying the gun because there is an immediate need for self-defense (domestic violence, death threats, stalking, etc.) then 30 minutes after buying it is as likely as 2 days or 3 days or 5 days and probably more likely than a year later.

I can't imagine what people are thinking who want a waiting period, other than "we'll do anything we can to make owning a gun more difficult or expensive or ineffective."

I think it's more projection than anything. The people that come up with these "common sense", "reasonable", gun laws would only want a gun to commit a crime of passion or out of anger. Therefore, they are protecting the community from other people like them. They don't see why anyone would want or need a fun for anything else. Or, those that want them to hunt, target shoot, or collect wouldn't be harmed or limited by a waiting period...

If that all makes sense.

hamster
08-23-2012, 09:16
I'm an instant gratification kind of guy. Thats why I have Amazon prime. I want my poorly made financial decisions to yield their short-lived pleasures right now!

That said, I wouldn't be tremendously bummed out if I had to wait 3 days, but it would be a massive PITA as far as transport. My favorite LGS is a 50 minute drive. Having to go back again to pickup my purchase would be a huge pain as far as logistics.

ZO6Vettever
08-23-2012, 09:23
I think if you have a CCW in and out is the way it should be. If you have no CCW I have no problem with a 3 day wait in case you're a nut case or a banger. CCW holder is probably only buying another weapon and if he was out to commit a crime would just use what he already had.

Bren
08-23-2012, 09:29
Please correct me if I've made a mistake here. Are you really saying active duty military personnel are not allowed to own firearms?

No, I'm saying that "not all" are, but I didn't say it very clearly. There are people in the military who havce felony convictions and can only possess military issued firearms and ammunition, on a military reservation. Therefore, a blanket exception to the 4473 and background check is very, very unlikely to ever happen.

Also, I'm saying she did have to fill out a 4473 when she bought the gun for you and she also violated a couple of federal laws by stating on the 4473 that the gun was for her and by transferring it to you in Virginia, where you are not a resident. There may be more laws broken but, at the very least, you will be committing a felony when you take the gun back to Utah, unless there is some exception to classify you as a Va. resident at the time you received the gun - apparently there isn't, or you wouldn't have needed her to buy it.

WarEagle32
08-23-2012, 12:16
Waiting periods do a lot more harm than good IMO!

Gregg702
08-23-2012, 12:54
Here in NV(or at least in Las Vegas), you have to wait 72 hours the first time you buy a gun, it is immediate for additional guns. It is a minor inconvience the first time.

Highspeedlane
08-23-2012, 13:24
You're either legally eligible to buy a firearm or you're not. Putting a waiting period between you and the gun is just another bureaucrat obstructionist tactic to deter citizens from buying to begin with.

Similarly, when Romney hiked the cost of a LTC in MA from $25 to $100 the immediate effect (as reported by Gun Owners Action League) was to cause people to decline getting renewals because of the cost.

The more difficult you make something, the less people are going to be inclined to do it, no matter what the subject.

youngdocglock
08-23-2012, 13:42
I can say this. When i buy guns. I walk out of the store with them within 10 min. If i get put on a 7 day hold cause some NICS moron cant read my file. Odds are i get pretty upset and go buy one from uncle henrys or a private sale.......i dont wait for guns, nor would i ever move to a state that doesnt do instant checks. When im paying in excess of $500 of my hard earned money for something. I expect immediate delivery of it. Would i buy a car then wait ten days ten days? No. My local Gs knows this. Amd i believe he even prays that a experienced NICS person takes the call, because if i hear "delay" he knows hes losing a sale instantly. I dont "need" the gun in 30 min or less. I expect it :). That simple.

I have made this post on my phone. If I spell like a two year old. Blame Android. Not me :)

janice6
08-23-2012, 13:46
I don't have to wait in my state.

Waiting periods are the only way liberals can punish you for buying a gun.

If they could hurt you more for buying a gun, they would.

ca survivor
08-23-2012, 16:17
that's the way in Florida, with a CCW permit, otherwise is 5 days, I think.

jakebrake
08-23-2012, 16:18

yup. thank God that waiting period crap went away.

concretefuzzynuts
08-23-2012, 16:25
Usually takes 10 minutes. By then I've found something else I want so it becomes 20 minutes. :supergrin:

concretefuzzynuts
08-23-2012, 16:30
Remember that Steve McQueen flick, where he walks in, buys the shotgun, and tears up the town? The Getaway:
Best Shotgun Movie (Steve Mcqueen - The Getaway) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlNIPCirLk)
Maybe that's where this waiting-period "logic" comes from.

Hollywood bull****. Liberal thinking.

skeeter7
08-23-2012, 16:35
8 day waiting period here in RI :wavey:

Of course, I think we should be able to walk out with something we buy unless if some disqualifying information comes up on your background check. At this point though, it doesn't bother me that much. It just gives me something to look forward to during the work week as I wait for my pick up date. Just like next Friday for instance, when I pick up the new P229 that I shouldn't have bought on gunbroker last night. I really need to stop buying guns! :brickwall:

countrygun
08-23-2012, 16:38
Who needs a gun 30 minutes after buying it?

Apparently somebody hasn't seen "Silverado"

:supergrin:

Seriously, with all the other ways to create mayhem and harm, why should firearms be singled out for a waiting period?

Do you have to wait when you buy Diesel fuel or Ammonium Nitrate based fertilizer?

mastrbloata
08-23-2012, 16:41

Thank you.

professorpinki
08-23-2012, 20:00
The second I pay for it, I should have it. I've demonstrated proficiency as per my state's requirements for their CWP.

That being said, "who needs it the same day" is the same as anyone who buys a firearm because they need it any other day: they most likely will never actually need the gun, but if they do, they ought to have it.

Travclem
08-23-2012, 20:20
I'll do you one better.

Who doesn't need a gun thirty minutes after they purchase it?

bac1023
08-23-2012, 20:40

bingo!!!

That's the only problem with Gunbroker. ;)

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
08-23-2012, 21:16

LOL! THISx1000

Its only those states that restrict the rights of the law abiding that have waiting periods on firearms.

SDDL-UP
08-23-2012, 21:37
"Who needs a gun in 30 minutes?" - Lots of people.

"Who wants a gun immediately?" - Even more people.

"Who is ok with a mandatory waiting period?" - People that are afraid of firearms and politicians.

"What are the merits of immediate?" - Getting what you paid for when you pay for it - kind of self explanitory if you ask me.

"What are the merits of mandatory waiting?" - The only "benefit" is the politicians get their foot in the door to slow, or HALT firearms purchases. Who determines the waiting period? What keeps them form altering it?

humanguerrilla
08-23-2012, 21:51
People who work hard for a living and don't have the time to mess around, likely making multiple visits to a gunstore for a single purchase. They also might want to take it to the range and shoot then it if they've managed to get the day off. Make it harder to purchase guns for stupid reasons and less will be able to enjoy the right.

Beanie-Bean
08-23-2012, 22:42
Hmm...I need it sooner than that. No waiting period here in TX, and if you have a CHL the wait is even shorter. As someone mentioned earlier, it's as fast as you can fill out the 4473 (can you believe what's being asked on the latest revision?) and how fast you can ante up for the damages.

kenpoprofessor
08-24-2012, 03:18
I think if you have a CCW in and out is the way it should be. If you have no CCW I have no problem with a 3 day wait in case you're a nut case or a banger. CCW holder is probably only buying another weapon and if he was out to commit a crime would just use what he already had.

I think there should be at least a 3 day waiting period for you to post your opinion on a public website, unless of course you have media credentials.

See how that works there?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

ADK_40GLKr
08-24-2012, 05:58
Getting the "License to Carry" in the first place being the slowest part of it, all I need now in my county is a ticket from the County Clerk and I'm GTG. I think the "coupon" is good for 6 months, so when I'm ready to start looking, I pick one up, and have it when find what I'm looking for.

NEED? Nah, but when I found my G17 recently from my LGS, I WAS at the range within 30 minutes!:tongueout:

DonD
08-24-2012, 06:00
8 day waiting period here in RI :wavey:

Even worse than normal BS. Don :upeyes:

HexHead
08-24-2012, 06:11
QFT!

Uh, technically isn't that a straw purchase, since you couldn't legally buy the gun yourself?

ADK_40GLKr
08-24-2012, 06:18
I like " instant gratification"

Sitting in a motel room where wireless Internet is ALMOST instantaneous. Faster than buying a new Glock.

This way, I can read Glock Talk faster!

At home, I can dry fire my G27 15 times before each new thread comes up!
:whistling:

JDSTG58
08-24-2012, 12:15
I would LOVE a three day wait to buy a hand gun here in NY..........
Here you get to buy your gun, go to the sheriff's department and apply for supplement to your existing permit. Then in a speedy 6 to 8 weeks they will send you a coupon. Next you take you coupon to the Gun store to pick up your gun. Its a very efficient system.

Oh and by the way, 03 C&R FFL cannot be used to buy handguns in NY, even if you have a full NYS Pistol license.

SMOKEin
08-24-2012, 12:28
I would LOVE a three day wait to but a hand gun here in NY..........
Here you get to buy your gun, go to the sheriff's department and apply for supplament to your existing permit. Then in a speedy 6 to 8 weeks they will send you a coupon. Next you take you coupon to the Gun store to pick up your gun. Its a very eficent system.

Oh and by the way, 03 C&R FFL cannot be used to buy handguns in NY, even if you have a full NYS Pistol licence.

Just for clarity...

That is not a reflection on how things are done in all of NYS. You obviously have an awful system in that county though.

DonD
08-24-2012, 12:30
I would LOVE a three day wait to but a hand gun here in NY..........
Here you get to buy your gun, go to the sheriff's department and apply for supplament to your existing permit. Then in a speedy 6 to 8 weeks they will send you a coupon. Next you take you coupon to the Gun store to pick up your gun. Its a very eficent system.

Oh and by the way, 03 C&R FFL cannot be used to buy handguns in NY, even if you have a full NYS Pistol licence.

Something only cretins like Yuckie Chuckie Schumer and Bloombutt could love. Don

FireForged
08-24-2012, 12:34
Who needs it? Well, i guess the person who just bought it, needs it...else they would not have bought it.

The only waiting period in my mind is the length of time it takes to perform a background check.

I dont really believe that you can "wait-away" in a few days- some criminal intent that a person may in their mind. A background check is a very reasonable-responsible way to make a sensible judgement of a persons character in that specific moment in time.

A person that may be so outofcontrol in a heat of the moment purchase is likely to have been outofcontrol in the past, hense..not able to pass a background check due to a violent past.

Im not saying that its perfect but I trust the background check system and do not favor a waiting period beyond that.

RJ's Guns
08-24-2012, 12:42
I do not want to waste my time, the gas (and put all those nasty pollutants into the air) and the money, to pay for the gas, to come back to the gun store a second time after the waiting period has expired.

What could be the possible justification for someone like me, that already has a firearm(s), for there to be a waiting/cooling off period? If I wanted to cause harm, I could use the firearm(s) that I already possess to shoot someone. Therefore, a waiting period would be worthless for anything legitimate rationale.

RJ

DonD
08-24-2012, 13:48
I dont really believe that you can "wait-away" in a few days- some criminal intent that a person may in their mind. A background check is a very reasonable-responsible way to make a sensible judgement of a persons character in that specific moment in time.

A person that may be so outofcontrol in a heat of the moment purchase is likely to have been outofcontrol in the past, hense..not able to pass a background check due to a violent past.

Im not saying that its perfect but I trust the background check system and do not favor a waiting period beyond that.

Good post and I agree. I don't sell a lot of my guns but for some years now, the few I've sold to individuals I did at a gun shop and paid for an NICS check. Wouldn't want it on my conscience that some ****head felon bought my gun and used it to commit a crime. Don

domin8ss
08-25-2012, 02:14
Uh, technically isn't that a straw purchase, since you couldn't legally buy the gun yourself?

I can own in Virginia. I have a Virginia nonresident concealed carry permit to go along with my Utah resident concealed carry permit. I can buy ammo. I just can't buy a gun in Virginia. How does that make sense?

Honestly, I'm not familiar with this term 'straw purchase.' Regardless, it is only practical to assume that there is a good chance spouses will use the same weapon in the event of a situation that warrants it, such as home invasion. Additionally, my wife gifting me the gun happened right in front of the store clerk. He knew what was going to happen. We talked about it earlier that day.

To be clear I can legally buy guns. I could have bought my own gun in Virginia if I had been a resident. That was the only problem. Because I'm mentally competent and don't have a criminal background my wife gifting me a gun did not violate any laws.

DaBurna
08-25-2012, 02:18
I've got you guys BEAT!!! I "have" mine BEFORE all the paperworks complete... I sit there to fondle, play with, and dry fire while the guy's making the call with my 4473 info! :tongueout: :supergrin:

domin8ss
08-25-2012, 02:30
I just did a quick Google search for the term 'straw purchase'. The first result was Wikipedia, and I went with it. Yes, I know. It might not be credible. Blah, blah, blah.

Here's what it says:

In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on Form 4473 is “I am the buyer of this firearm” and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink. However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted.

Looking at that last sentence, I fail to see what my wife and I did wrong. If I wasn't legally able to own a gun then a law would have been violated. However, that isn't the case here. I didn't hand her money and say, 'Go buy this for me.' She used a card with her name on it. She did this because she cared for my safety. My job had just been robbed at gunpoint. Additionally, I haven't committed a crime, nor committed a crime with the gun. You have a long way to go to price your point.

Finally, in case you are a little rusty in your latin, Bona Fide literally translates to 'In Good Faith', which is also the definition used in the legal context. See Blacks Law Dictionary. Again, I see no violation of the federal law.

Btw, would you like to hear todays story out of Illinois?

Gun store owner: I'm sorry. I can't sell you ammo for your handgun.
Me: Why not?
Owner: You're not an Illinois resident.
Me: Not even for active duty dependents?
Owner: No, but your wife can once she gets a FOID. Illinois will pretty much just hand it to her.
Me: What about guns?
Owner: She can buy them to.
Me: What if it's meant for me?
Owner: Gifts are no problem. She just has to give it to you.
Me: Can I at least check out the gun?
Owner: Sure. Let me see your out of state driver license.

Looks like gun store owners in the most liberal state are against your straw purchase idea too. And, in case you're wondering, I was looking at a G30 and comparing it to the G36 and Springfield XDMS.

domin8ss
08-25-2012, 02:40
You'll need to show me a link to that exception to the 4473 for active duty military - I've never seen it and, considering all active duty aren't even allowed to possess a firearm in the civilian world, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

pretty sure it's also a federal crime for her to buy a gun for you in a state where you can't legally buy it.

1) It's one thing to own. It's another to buy. I can own. I cannot buy in Virginia because I'm not a Virginia resident. I've already covered this. Why don't you go and try to but in a state you're not a resident of. Can you own? Yes. Can you buy? No.

2) As for you assuming that she didn't fill out a 4473 is ridiculous. It is common knowledge that everybody fills one out. I didn't think I needed to explain that to you, or anybody.

n0leafcl0ver
08-25-2012, 02:45
no more gun laws please!!!!!!!

dnuggett
08-25-2012, 07:13
I fail to see what my wife and I did wrong.

According to the ATF, nothing. Look it up in the ATF reference publication if you are so inclined.

Or you could ask the guy who essentially accused you and your wife of being a criminal for legally purchasing a firearm- to f'ing prove it or apologize. :cool:

writwing
08-25-2012, 09:55
as soon as i pay for my steaks, they're mine. Why should any other product be any different?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jason D
08-25-2012, 17:15
I too want the gun as soon as cash has passed hands.

Though we have a few more regulations here in MI for the time being, we can take guns home the same day we buy them Pretty much as soon as the federal form is filled out.

The purchase permit and registration will be a thing of the past here in a couple months. It looks like the law is going to be changed to use the GOV instant-check system.

Kimura
08-25-2012, 18:37

So I ask all of you...

Well, the merit of the waiting period is obvious; first, it prevents someone who is buying a gun in anger from using it or, it at least gives him the opportunity to rethink his position. Very few situations need a violent solution. Anger clouds judgement. Second, it does give Justice time to do a more thorough check on the individual, also not always a bad thing. Whether they use it or not, I do not know.

For most neither of the above is necessary, but how do you determine who it should apply to and who it shouldn't.

mastrbloata
08-26-2012, 05:39
I too want the gun as soon as cash has passed hands.

Though we have a few more regulations here in MI for the time being, we can take guns home the same day we buy them Pretty much as soon as the federal form is filled out.

The purchase permit and registration will be a thing of the past here in a couple months. It looks like the law is going to be changed to use the GOV instant-check system.
That's great news.

oldsoldier
08-26-2012, 08:20
I do not want to waste my time, the gas (and put all those nasty pollutants into the air) and the money, to pay for the gas, to come back to the gun store a second time after the waiting period has expired.

What could be the possible justification for someone like me, that already has a firearm(s), for there to be a waiting/cooling off period? If I wanted to cause harm, I could use the firearm(s) that I already possess to shoot someone. Therefore, a waiting period would be worthless for anything legitimate rationale.

RJ

I agree with your second paragraph and argued that with my MO county sheriff back when MO law required a permit to purchase a pistol. It was up to each sheriff to require a 0 to 10 day waiting period. I explained I already had guns and in fact had taken my CCW course with the sheriff's office. He was one of the instructors. He agreed and ended the waiting period for CCW holders in his county. The permit was still required though. MO since changed the law and no permit or waiting period is required now to buy a pistol.

Mike 257
08-26-2012, 09:48
I love the fact that I can buy a gun and walk out of the store as soon as my background clears , witch is usually no more than 10 minutes since I have an uncommon last name .

rv4driver
08-27-2012, 08:00
The NICS check is almost instantaneous. The only possible delay is if they want to check anything questionable on the 4473, or something in your past, then the delay can only be 3 business days, at which point the possible outcomes are "proceed" "denied" or "open". The "open" is a weird one. The FFL can actually release the gun if nothing is heard from the feds after 3 business days, but the feds may still be investigating. When the feds finally come to a "proceed" or "denied" conclusion, they will inform the FFL, who may have already transferred the gun.
I told you it was weird.
(28 CFR Part 25 Section 25.2)
The state by state waiting periods are for the state only.

sr975j
08-27-2012, 09:40
in Ohio, once i finish my paperwork, the background check is usually complete in 10 minutes and i walk out the door with my new toy about 5 minutes after that. that would suck to have to wait a few days after you buy it.

Sam

polishnightmare
08-27-2012, 10:15
Do you want to wait 30 min. after you pay for your food at a restaurant to get your food, pick up your groceries, put gas in your car, get your car washed, etc. No, a gun is no different.

countrygun
08-27-2012, 10:23
Well, the merit of the waiting period is obvious; first, it prevents someone who is buying a gun in anger from using it or, it at least gives him the opportunity to rethink his position. Very few situations need a violent solution. Anger clouds judgement. Second, it does give Justice time to do a more thorough check on the individual, also not always a bad thing. Whether they use it or not, I do not know.

For most neither of the above is necessary, but how do you determine who it should apply to and who it shouldn't.

I am unaware of any State that does a "more thorough" check than the standard done by those states without awaiting period.

Could you enlighten me about States that do?

I am also trying to find statistice on the number of folks who actually have comitted murders in anger immediately after leaving a gun store,

Could you provide me with some examples please?

scccdoc
08-27-2012, 10:31
Let's keep in mind the topic of this thread............

.......... not, Who "wants" a gun 30 minutes after buying it? DOC

Glock_Convert
08-27-2012, 10:32
I don't think I have ever gotten out of the store with a gun purchase in under an hour, what with the time it takes for the background check, the filling out of the paperwork, and the getting to the register to pay....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

countrygun
08-27-2012, 10:43

I can think of one time in my life when it made a difference,

I was gooing deer hunting for a week and the evening I was going into the hills I found out that the upland game hunting was great. I found this out at the shop while picking up other gear so I picked up a 20ga and some shelly, glad I did. It was my first 20 and I had left my 12 af home as "too much trouble".

janice6
08-27-2012, 10:55
I just did a quick Google search for the term 'straw purchase'. The first result was Wikipedia, and I went with it. Yes, I know. It might not be credible. Blah, blah, blah.

Here's what it says:

In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on Form 4473 is “I am the buyer of this firearm” and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink. However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted.

Looking at that last sentence, I fail to see what my wife and I did wrong. If I wasn't legally able to own a gun then a law would have been violated. However, that isn't the case here. I didn't hand her money and say, 'Go buy this for me.' She used a card with her name on it. She did this because she cared for my safety. My job had just been robbed at gunpoint. Additionally, I haven't committed a crime, nor committed a crime with the gun. You have a long way to go to price your point.

Finally, in case you are a little rusty in your latin, Bona Fide literally translates to 'In Good Faith', which is also the definition used in the legal context. See Blacks Law Dictionary. Again, I see no violation of the federal law.

Btw, would you like to hear todays story out of Illinois?

Gun store owner: I'm sorry. I can't sell you ammo for your handgun.
Me: Why not?
Owner: You're not an Illinois resident.
Me: Not even for active duty dependents?
Owner: No, but your wife can once she gets a FOID. Illinois will pretty much just hand it to her.
Me: What about guns?
Owner: She can buy them to.
Me: What if it's meant for me?
Owner: Gifts are no problem. She just has to give it to you.
Me: Can I at least check out the gun?
Owner: Sure. Let me see your out of state driver license.

Looks like gun store owners in the most liberal state are against your straw purchase idea too. And, in case you're wondering, I was looking at a G30 and comparing it to the G36 and Springfield XDMS.
---------------------------------------------------------
You did nothing wrong.

I have "Gifted" most of my extended family with firearms both in the presence of the seller, and on another day after purchase.

This is an expense some cannot justify, but in some cases, necessary for protection and self defense.

The law specifically says this is OK.

I keep my own records of Place of Purchase, date, price, serial number and disposition (and date).

If your intentions are to circumvent the law, it is illegal and a "Straw Purchase". If your intentions are to provide a gift to someone qualified to own a fireqrm, you are good to go.

Don't let anyone tell you different.

Bilbo Bagins
08-27-2012, 12:54
I find waiting periods to be silly.

Here are 3 reasons why you go into a gun store to buy a gun.

1) you are a typical gun shooter and buyer. A waiting period is just a simple annoyance.

2) You were just a victim of a crime, or your worried about your safety. A waiting period can be dangerous in this case. Someone threatens to kill me and I have to wait 5 days to get a gun? Someone breaks into my neighbor's home and I have to wait 5 days to get a gun. A woman is raped and she has to wait 5 days?? that is just sad.

3) You want to do something stupid like kill someone or commit a crime. A waiting period would only delay the stupidity. Show me the research that says waiting 2 to 5 days to purchase a weapon reduces crime or the impulse to kill.

dnuggett
08-27-2012, 16:40

Since I started the thread and have not given my stance yet-here it is.

I deem each purchase to be very important and so by definition, I need it. When I buy at a gun shop I expect it immediately, according to my need. When I buy online I am willing to wait until my FFL receives it, as I realize it must be shipped. When it gets to my FFL though, I expect it immediately, again according to my need. Fortuneatly I am not subject to a background check each time I do a transfer, so my need is met as fast as I can fill out a form. I do not agree with the 4473 itself as I believe it to be an unnecessary step.

Veedubklown
08-27-2012, 23:56
I've bought firearms at yard sales. I'd laugh my butt off for a waiting period from my neighbor.

I say I'll take it. I fill out 4473, and give them my CWP and money. They give me my firearm. Life is simple, here in AZ.

Or, private sale - I give them money, they give me gun. If they want a bill of sale, they can make it. If they like to see my ID, I'll show it, so they can be sure I'm an AZ resident.

youngdocglock
08-28-2012, 00:26
I like the misconceptions about "straw purchases" I buy a lot of guns at cabelas. which is a licensed FFL........my girlfriend has purchased at least 5 guns there, in her name and TOLD them she was buying them for me as gifts.

I've recieved all of the guns, she was never denied a sale and im very happy with them.

The guys at Cabelas know me, they know my gf and they know i spend more $$ per month in their store on guns than i do on rent.......

If your buying it as a DIRECT gift for someone else, and that someone else is NOT PAYING YOU A DIME for the gun......than its 100% legal to buy a gun for someone else.

However if your buddy says "awww i want that glock" and you go and buy it, than give it to him and he gives you cash..........thats a felony. plain and simple.

Also......i on many occasions have bought used mosin nagants there in terrible condition with the sole purpose of refinishing, restoring and then selling them. They know this as well. But it doesnt constitute as a straw purchase because im not buying them for someone else. Usually i sell them back to cabelas for a $75 profit :-D or i take them down to Kittery Trading post and sell it to them for even more :-D haha

Veedubklown
08-28-2012, 01:35
Also......i on many occasions have bought used mosin nagants there in terrible condition with the sole purpose of refinishing, restoring and then selling them. They know this as well. But it doesnt constitute as a straw purchase because im not buying them for someone else. Usually i sell them back to cabelas for a $75 profit :-D or i take them down to Kittery Trading post and sell it to them for even more :-D haha

Doesn't that get into the territory of trading guns for profit, therefore a business, and not for private use? I know it's a real gray area, I've never actually seen a number that causes people to flag. I had a nice convo with an ATF field agent, and we talked a bit about this, and building AK's from parts kits. Sure the recievers are legal to make, and you can even sell the complete gun. But when your making them for profit, your manufacturing. :dunno: Not judging, just curious.

youngdocglock
08-28-2012, 03:11
Doesn't that get into the territory of trading guns for profit, therefore a business, and not for private use? I know it's a real gray area, I've never actually seen a number that causes people to flag. I had a nice convo with an ATF field agent, and we talked a bit about this, and building AK's from parts kits. Sure the recievers are legal to make, and you can even sell the complete gun. But when your making them for profit, your manufacturing. :dunno: Not judging, just curious.

That would fall under manufacturing for profit. What i do is take ugly guns. Make them pretty again. If i were bulding to sell i would need an ffl. Im just restoring wood, bores and bluing haha

Also im not selling to private sales. Everything i do is sold to an ffl which doccumentation is provided. The ffl then sells the weapon to the public. I just detail it ;)

sent from my phone. i am not responsible for spelling errors, jumbled words, spanglish or anything else. blame a touch screen and autocorrect :)

scccdoc
08-28-2012, 06:14
I can think of one time in my life when it made a difference,

I was gooing deer hunting for a week and the evening I was going into the hills I found out that the upland game hunting was great. I found this out at the shop while picking up other gear so I picked up a 20ga and some shelly, glad I did. It was my first 20 and I had left my 12 af home as "too much trouble".

Dude, I would NEVER stand between a person and a good bird hunt! DOC

scccdoc
08-28-2012, 06:28
Since I started the thread and have not given my stance yet-here it is.

I deem each purchase to be very important and so by definition, I need it. When I buy at a gun shop I expect it immediately, according to my need. When I buy online I am willing to wait until my FFL receives it, as I realize it must be shipped. When it gets to my FFL though, I expect it immediately, again according to my need. Fortuneatly I am not subject to a background check each time I do a transfer, so my need is met as fast as I can fill out a form. I do not agree with the 4473 itself as I believe it to be an unnecessary step.

I don't know that I've ever needed a gun as soon as I purchased it. However, I live in S. Carolina and have never had to wait on an "in house" purchase. I will say this, when I was 11 years old, I paid for a Rem 1100 which my brother signed for. The sales clerk would not let me carry the gun out of the store, only my 24 yo brother. We almost had a scene in the store. DOC

dnuggett
08-28-2012, 10:17
I don't know that I've ever needed a gun as soon as I purchased it.

If you required the gun because it is very important to you, by definition you needed it. All of my firearms purchases have been very important. Even ones that did no more than sit in a box were very important. I deem all activities I partake in to exercise my rights very important.

MasterShake
08-28-2012, 10:25
As soon as I pay for my steaks, they're mine. Why should any other product be any different?
Exactly. I don't even buy through the internet because of all the waiting and delivery hassle.

countrygun
08-28-2012, 12:16
Dude, I would NEVER stand between a person and a good bird hunt! DOC

Ghads I gotta quit typing in the dark. No touch typist am I. I use the Columbus method and it shows.

It was great that season. I picked up a Western field/Mossberg 20 w/a 24" barrel and a "dial-a-duck" choke for $175. had a great hunt that year. Meat in the pot every night.

Glockworks
08-29-2012, 03:23
In VA I usually have to come back the next day. In my case its because I have a VERY common name and they always have to check out my application thoroughly to ensure I'm me and not some garbage person with the same first and last name. I know I'm the ONLY one with my name at my address, or with my SSN, but never the less, I wait, while a buddy of mine with a non-common name walks out with is purchases right away EVERY time. :faint:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-29-2012, 05:48
I think there should be a week waiting period to buy a car... What if you wanna take the car and mow someone down...

Two week waiting period for baseball bats...

Three weeks for steak knives..

A month wait for crackers.. What if you go home and choke on one immediately, because you are so hungry you gobble them down. No, better to wait and have no food for a month.. That way you can calm down.... :rofl:

buckhorn_cortez
08-29-2012, 07:21
My wife was invited to shoot action pistol, which she did using a .45 commander length pistol. After stage 1 she said, "I really like this, I want to do this again."

On that statement, I went to a local gunshop, bought her a 9mm hi capacity pistol, and was back at the range as she was finishing stage 3 with the gun and ammunition so she could practice.

Crimes committed with guns fall into two categories - criminals and mentally disturbed people.

Since there are hundreds of laws on the books about criminal actions - which the criminals ignore, one would have to surmise that a waiting period is inapplicable to a criminal as they will circumvent that law.

That leaves the mentally disturbed person. Fine, let's get right to the root of the problem and make it illegal to be mentally disturbed. That will be about as effective as all of the gun laws.

TalkToTheGlock
08-29-2012, 07:35
I hate waiting for them to call in the background check let alone a three day waiting period.