FNSCAR17s Magazines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FNSCAR17s Magazines

Drocko
08-22-2012, 21:48
The scar17s has been available for several years now. Always almost impossible to find standard magazines. Like the ammo shortage a while back, no one has a definitive answer to the question: WHY the shortage? It's a hot market, mags selling from $40 to $100 per. Easier to make a mag than the rifle. Why hasn't FN supplied its customers? Please don't tell me the Army is buying them all up. FN seems not to give a damn for its customers.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your input.
Drocko

fnfalman
08-22-2012, 22:00
I think that you can modify FAL mags to make it work.

Quiet
08-22-2012, 22:01
US SOCOM is buying them up.
The Mk 17 Mod 0 (FNH SCAR-H) and Mk 20 Mod 0 (FNH SCAR-H SSR) are replacing the Mk 14 Mod 0 (M-14) and Mk 11 Mod 0 (KAC SR-25).

But, production is starting to catch up...

Brownell's was selling them for $37 a piece, but they sold out within a week. So, now you can pre-order.

Palmetto State Armory has them in stock for $59.99 a piece. Earlier in the year they were selling at $39.99, but then they sold out. So, they are now selling them at this new price point.

B0tach Tactical lists them at $39.95 a piece, not sure if they have any in stock. They did in 04-2012.

OMB Guns lists them at $29.00 a piece, not sure if they have any in stock. They did in 01-2012.

NeverMore1701
08-22-2012, 22:23
I'd drop the coin on the replacement lower that takes PMAGs.

fnfalman
08-22-2012, 22:28
I'd drop the coin on the replacement lower that takes PMAGs.

Or learn how to make mods to FAL mags. A lot cheaper and you don't have to buy a brand new "gun".

Drocko
08-23-2012, 00:16
No doubt SOCOM is getting most of them, and you can modify other mags. But when you drop $3,000 on a rifle and it comes with a single mag, and can't find others, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Normal industrial practice usually takes advantage of a hot market by producing more of that product, starting new production lines and encouraging sales. Why not here, after years? Compared to the investment in rifle production, what would it cost to set up multiple lines to produce a sufficient number of mags? This says a lot about FN's attitude towards civilian customers. They could even farm-out production. Or, maybe they're listening to gov. fears?

fnfalman
08-23-2012, 08:20
Hell, the SIG Sauer P210 Legend's mags are also unavailable, and I doubt that it's because SIG Sauer sold them all to the military.

Sometimes production is slow. I'm surprised that MagPul hadn't stepped up to make some aftermarket ones.

Eric2340
08-23-2012, 12:13
Or learn how to make mods to FAL mags. A lot cheaper and you don't have to buy a brand new "gun".

I just read a review last week that says it is EXTREEMLY difficult to modify them to work, and not worth the trouble. Apparently you need some pretty fancy/expensive machining tools to do them right so they work. :(

I'm still not sold on the SCAR (and I am NOT a fan of the AR either), looks nice, but I'd still wait.

alexanderg23
08-23-2012, 12:16
My LGS have about 40 for sale for $40

Eric2340
08-23-2012, 12:16
................. I'm surprised that MagPul hadn't stepped up to make some aftermarket ones.

Now THAT I agree with, MP or someone else yet, especially if it IS the Mk 14 and Mk 11 replacement.

While it is NOT the same gun, there is some issue w/ the ACR and modifying it's receiver for other mags also....... :(

PlasticGuy
08-23-2012, 12:36
The AUG has been made since 1977 and is a fairly popular rifle across the globe, but most local gunshops don't stock AUG mags. You go online and order them if you need them. You may have to do it as a back-order and wait a little while, but they will come. The SCAR 17 has only been out for about 2.5 years now, and the process is the same. That puts it 23 years ahead of the AUG. I don't see what the big deal is.

NeverMore1701
08-23-2012, 13:03
People are just spoiled by AR and AK mag availability.

fnfalman
08-23-2012, 13:12
People are just spoiled by AR and AK mag availability.

While that's true, it doesn't make sense for a gun company to not have mags available for sales. That's easy money.

Drocko
08-24-2012, 01:11
"What's the big deal?" Well, marketing a rifle for $3,000 and deliberately limiting the purchaser to one magazine seems unfair to customers. There is no logical reason for not manufacturing adequate numbers of mags, even if the military is buying most of them. As mentioned, other production lines, or outsourcing would solve the problem immediately. Maybe FN just doesn't like profit beyond military contracts? They sure don't care about their civilian customers who pay a premium for the SCAR17s. Just doesn't make sense.
Thanks for all the input, but the question remains.
Drocko

WoodenPlank
08-24-2012, 01:18
"What's the big deal?" Well, marketing a rifle for $3,000 and deliberately limiting the purchaser to one magazine seems unfair to customers. There is no logical reason for not manufacturing adequate numbers of mags, even if the military is buying most of them. As mentioned, other production lines, or outsourcing would solve the problem immediately. Maybe FN just doesn't like profit beyond military contracts? They sure don't care about their civilian customers who pay a premium for the SCAR17s. Just doesn't make sense.
Thanks for all the input, but the question remains.
Drocko

Setting up another assembly line (or retooling an existing one) is an expensive and time consuming process. If FN feels they are better served by using their lines in their current roles, then they are not going to chance things up just to make more magazines.

Outsourcing magazine production can introduce it's own issues entirely.

wellcraft
08-24-2012, 06:14
the SCAR 17 mags havebecome more and more available over the past few months. the shop in my area has about 7 or 8 SCAR 17 mags in stock for 49.00 bucks a pop. i picked up 4 so now i have a total of 5 which is more than enough for me. PM me if you want the stores contact info, don't know if they'd be willing to ship.

some people have had limited success modifying FAL mags and if you have plenty of FAL mags to experiment with it might be worth a try. i didn't want to mess up my FAL mags and i don't shoot the SCAR often so I just waited until they became available at a reasonable price.

fnfalman
08-24-2012, 10:38
Setting up another assembly line (or retooling an existing one) is an expensive and time consuming process. If FN feels they are better served by using their lines in their current roles, then they are not going to chance things up just to make more magazines.

Outsourcing magazine production can introduce it's own issues entirely.

Nobody makes their own mags any more. Mags are practically sourced out to mag makers. Why set up an assembly line when you can get Mec-Gar or somebody like that to make mags for you.

Drocko
08-24-2012, 11:40
Here's a UTube post which shows FN makes mags for its SCAR17s - or at least subs the manufacture out to a Belgian factory. I'm surprised that he got his mags for that price. Still makes me wonder why FN doesn't produce a sufficient number of mags for its very expensive rifle. Producing mags is not rocket science. FN does a great disservice to its civilian customers, apparently without reason. If the rifle wasn't so great I would tell them to stuff it.
Drocko

Drocko
08-24-2012, 11:43
Sorry. Forgot to include Utube video:

FN SCAR 17S Magazines USA vs Belgium - YouTube

Jun 21, 2012 ... This is an overview of the differences between the USA and the Belgium manufactured mag's. The USA made mags are produced by D&H ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJEGlPc_fXc - View by Ixquick Proxy - Highlight

WoodenPlank
08-24-2012, 11:57
Nobody makes their own mags any more. Mags are practically sourced out to mag makers. Why set up an assembly line when you can get Mec-Gar or somebody like that to make mags for you.

Fair point. Even when outsourced, though, the company that needs the part will foot the bill for the retooling of a production line (either directly or built into per unit cost), which is still an expensive process. if they are only renting, say, one production line, they may deem it to not be cost effective to pay for a second one.

michael_b
08-24-2012, 12:12
Hell, the SIG Sauer P210 Legend's mags are also unavailable, and I doubt that it's because SIG Sauer sold them all to the military.

Sometimes production is slow. I'm surprised that MagPul hadn't stepped up to make some aftermarket ones.

Magpuls Gen M3 mags coming out his fall are supposed to be compatible according to Magpuls website.

WoodenPlank
08-24-2012, 12:53
Magpuls Gen M3 mags coming out his fall are supposed to be compatible according to Magpuls website.

:dunno:

PMAGs don't fit a SIG P210...

If you're referring to the SCAR, that's only for the 5.56 models. Magpul doesn't make a magazine that fits the 7.62 SCAR (yet). There is a replacement lower coming out for the SCAR-17 that will convert it to take 7.62 PMAGs, though.

michael_b
08-24-2012, 13:11
:dunno:

PMAGs don't fit a SIG P210...

If you're referring to the SCAR, that's only for the 5.56 models. Magpul doesn't make a magazine that fits the 7.62 SCAR (yet). There is a replacement lower coming out for the SCAR-17 that will convert it to take 7.62 PMAGs, though.

Ahhhh I didn't consider caliber, I had just remembered reading that on their site. Thanks for clearing that up!

humanguerrilla
08-24-2012, 23:07
New SCAR lower for PMAGS/SR25 pattern
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3217

WayaX
08-25-2012, 08:46

The upper receiver of the SCAR is the "gun", so this is more like an FAL where the lower is the actually the trigger pack.

Quiet
08-25-2012, 11:58
Cope's Distributing has SCAR17 mags in stock for $39.99.

NeverMore1701
08-25-2012, 17:28
New SCAR lower for PMAGS/SR25 pattern
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3217

Yup, that's what I was talking about.