Can i shoot skeet/sporting clays with an 870? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can i shoot skeet/sporting clays with an 870?

wrx04
08-22-2012, 22:04
I have the next four days off, and was thinking about trying my hand at skeet shooting. Ive never done it before, although i have shot trap a few times. The problem is, my only shotgun is an 870.

Can i shoot skeet or sporting clays with a pump gun? Im mainly just out there to have fun, so even if its not ideal, is it doable?

dakrat
08-22-2012, 22:23
is it doable? yes.
is it ideal? anything more than one clay, no.

mingaa
08-22-2012, 22:43
I know folks that do pretty well with 870s and 500s. I've had fair days with family heritage Browning Auto 5 (pre1939) and plan to shoot my Mossberg 930 24" turkey (williams sights) soon to tune up for 3 Gun targets. 18" cyl barrels may truly dissappoint many other guns in the right hands can prove fun and fruitful!

dajcarroll
08-22-2012, 23:07
I have the next four days off, and was thinking about trying my hand at skeet shooting. Ive never done it before, although i have shot trap a few times. The problem is, my only shotgun is an 870.

Can i shoot skeet or sporting clays with a pump gun? Im mainly just out there to have fun, so even if its not ideal, is it doable?

It all depends on what barrel you have. You can use ANY shotgun to target shoot. I shoot trap with my NEF Pardner regularly. It has a 28" full choke barrel. An 18.5" HD barrel with no choke probably won't make for a fun day skeet/trap shooting. A 24-28" barrel with modified or full choke would do the job. Really any barrel with the right choke (shooting at the right distance) will work. All depends on what you've got... not the gun itself.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
Winchester 1300 Ranger 12 Ga.
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage 24 O/U - .22LR/410

"I don't need a $1000 shotgun. I need to know how to run the gun I've got!" - Clint Smith

Top_Shot_31
08-23-2012, 01:14
I have no use for a designated bird gun. Before I sold it, I went to the Clay Range with a Benelli Nova with an 18.5" barrel and LPA Ghost Ring sights and a $30 spring-loaded clay thrower I got at a local harware store. Went through a whole box of clays in one trip. It was so much fun. I was able to shoot doubles without too much trouble.

I still have no use for a bird gun...some things never change.

CajunBass
08-23-2012, 04:41
If you can't it most likely won't be the guns fault.

got2hav1
08-23-2012, 05:19
You can, but especially at sporting clays you will be at a disadvantage. Most of the presentations will be doubles and report pairs. Autos and over/unders are much better choices. But if you want to go out just to have some fun, go for it. You will have a good time.

vafish
08-23-2012, 06:10
99% of my shotgun shooting has been with pump guns.

They work great for trap. On skeet and sporting clays with a lot of doubles you need to know how to work the pump well. They are not ideal, but you will have fun and you will learn how to run your pump gun.

Then again I have been known to bring out a bolt action 20 ga for trap doubles.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

willie_pete
08-23-2012, 06:38
It's the workman; not the tools. :whistling:

WP

Travclem
08-23-2012, 06:59
If you're fast you can.

motorcyclist
08-23-2012, 07:52
I've used my 870 12ga. and my son his 870 20ga. more than once for skeet and sporting clays. After a couple of stations you're not short stroking it anymore! Get good with a pump and a semi-auto is like cheating.

FiremanMike
08-23-2012, 07:52
Our last day of firearms in the academy was a free day and our instructor brought in his clay trap launcher for us to play with. Trap shooting with a 12ga 14" barrel pistol grip shotgun was fun at the time, but not something I would ever want to do again lol

wrx04
08-23-2012, 13:02
Thanks for the replies. The gun i would use has a 28" barrel with the standard choke (remchoke?). I wasnt sure if I could work the pump fast enough for the doubles, and didnt want to look totally out of place with a pump gun.

Im gonna give it a go. Worst case scenario is i get some practice running the 870. My current HD gun is an 870 as well (different gun with 18"), so even if i suck, it will be good training.

method
08-23-2012, 14:45
You have a gun set up for just such shooting. Pumps can be run very fast by a good shooter, not terribly much slower than an autoloader. Rack the pump in one fast continuous motion while the gun is in recoil, and it will be ready again by the time you get to a next target.

Remember, you have to lead and follow through on moving targets. Shoot in front of the bird, and keep the gun swinging after the shot.

LASTRESORT20
08-23-2012, 15:11
I have no use for a designated bird gun. Before I sold it, I went to the Clay Range with a Benelli Nova with an 18.5" barrel and LPA Ghost Ring sights and a $30 spring-loaded clay thrower I got at a local harware store. Went through a whole box of clays in one trip. It was so much fun. I was able to shoot doubles without too much trouble.

I still have no use for a bird gun...some things never change.

This....^^^

collim1
08-23-2012, 17:21
For an informal shoot with some buddies it would be no problem.

I have busted a lot clays with my 870 12g. I have busted a lot more with my 11-87 20g.

Now the semi-auto vs O/U is a whole nother debate.

Jeffe
08-23-2012, 18:01
I used to shoot everything with my 870. It gets you real good at working the action fast while maintaining your target. I never felt at a disadvantage to anyone with a O/U or semi and usually could out shoot most of them.

ranger1968
08-23-2012, 18:06
You sure can; I have a brother who routinely won trap compettions with an 870, and he was pretty good at skeet with it as well;

It was an older Wingmaster (this was in the mid 70's) with a full rib 28" barrel and a modified choke (I'm pretty sure it was modified choke and not full) ........

It was a very smooth gun, and he had very good control of it;

motorcyclist
08-23-2012, 18:59
Thanks for the replies. The gun i would use has a 28" barrel with the standard choke (remchoke?). I wasnt sure if I could work the pump fast enough for the doubles, and didnt want to look totally out of place with a pump gun.

Im gonna give it a go. Worst case scenario is i get some practice running the 870. My current HD gun is an 870 as well (different gun with 18"), so even if i suck, it will be good training.

Run what you bring and enjoy it. Ignore the gun snobs with their $8000 shotguns. Sporting clays is some of the most fun I've had with firearms.