Carry Ammo in my G19?!?!?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry Ammo in my G19?!?!?!

G35DriverG19Carrier
08-22-2012, 22:38
Hello, this is my first post in this area of the forum and only my 3rd overall (even the intro forum). I am currently Carrying 147g Bonded Golden Saber +P in my G19. Also this ammo was bought for me by a friend who said that that is what a lot of our local LEOs carry off duty if they choose a 9mm (ours carry G22s).

I have read that most of you guys really don't like the 147g stuff and I had 2 main questions to this.

1. Why do you not like the 147g?
2. What is a decent ammo to carry. I do personally believe faster and heavier = more damage. But I am totally open to opinions and any facts that I have overlooked.

Thanks everyone all input is welcome.

JW1178
08-22-2012, 22:48
I think the Ranger 127+P+, as well as the Federal HST 124+P and can't go wrong with the 115+P+ Federal 9BPLE. I think if you like the 147+P the HST is a better choice. I guess the GS isn't bad either. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

cowboy1964
08-22-2012, 22:59
Golden Saber Bonded is a top round, in any caliber or weight. My main concern would be shooting 100 or more through the G19 to verify functioning. Which means if I needed to buy a few boxes of new stuff I'd go with Gold Dot 124+P. Also the main problem (as I see it) with 147s in general, and 147+P in particular, is the different recoil/feel of it compared to your typical practical ammo. Not a huge deal but I like to practice with something as similar in feel with what I carry, if possible.

ABNAK
08-22-2012, 23:59
Much of the disdain for 147gr loads goes way back to the 80's and 90's when they DID suck. With the advancements in bullet design the 147gr of 2012 is MUCH better than they used to be.

I carry 147gr +P HST's in my Glock 19. You would be well-served with any of the HST +P's. The 124gr +P Gold Dot has a pretty loyal following too. Then there's the good ol' 9BPLE with a lengthy track record.

9mm +p+
08-23-2012, 00:43
147's are garbage, why? They are taking away what the 9mm needs to be effective, velocity,period. If you have a big bore like a 45 you can run a heavy, momentum based bullet because you'll have the weight and diameter of the bullet. The 9mm 147 has neither and doesn't have the velocity needed to be effective. I've seen 147's fail miserably time and again, on things they shouldn't have failed on. Door frames, side window glass in a car, sheetmetal in same car, they bounced right off. The list goes on and on, carry what you like and believe what you like, there are lot's of "experts" online who will tell you the 147 is THE bullet/load for the 9mm. For my hind end it's a medium weight 124/127 at +p or +p+ velocities, current carry in Ranger T 127. Just got my Underwood order in and I will be testing their 124 +p+ out in my carry nines, if all is well that will be my new carry load.

PghJim
08-23-2012, 06:01
I agree with 9mm+p+. When I am not carrying the G32 in 357 sig HST, I carry Underwood 124gr GD +p+, after that would be the Federal 9BPLE 115gr +p+. The 147 HST would be the best in that category if I had to use one, and the 147 was chosen at first due to penetration. The Underwood gives good penetration, with great velocity and expansion.

hotpig
08-23-2012, 08:17
Bullet technology has made velocity pretty much obsolete. Demand for +P and +P+ have steadily declined from the end of the 90's. I have been assured that so long as enough of a demand remains they will continue to make them.

Even in the last few years I had to change from stocking one case of +P/+P+ for every case of standard pressure ammo. Now I expect the end of the year tally to be closer to six to one. A large portion of that will be standard pressure 230gr and 147gr.

jbglock
08-23-2012, 08:22
I think the Ranger 127+P+, as well as the Federal HST 124+P and can't go wrong with the 115+P+ Federal 9BPLE. I think if you like the 147+P the HST is a better choice. I guess the GS isn't bad either. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

The only load I have experience in shooting is the Ranger T-series 127 +P+. It is a very poor performing round out of 1st a gen3 and now a gen4 17. I don't know what is a better round in 9mm but the t-series is a very poor performer when it comes to killing things. It is accurate though. The only reason I use it is because it is the department issued load and I have no choice. I've actually considered buying my own duty weapon in a different caliber just so I could stop having to use this round even though I get it for free.

G35DriverG19Carrier
08-23-2012, 09:28
Thank you all for the replies. It seems like there is a multitude of different answers and I have shot about 50 rounds of the GS through my Glock without a malfunction however every round I've ever shot hasn't had an issue (besides Win White Box with bad brass to start with). I'm actually leaning more towars a 124 +p+ after the replies.

Is there a good place to review ballistic tests with each type of ammo?

I do follow tnoutdoors9 on youtube but I didn't know if there was a chart or something somewhere.

The Retired Sarge
08-23-2012, 13:17
Thank you all for the replies. It seems like there is a multitude of different answers and I have shot about 50 rounds of the GS through my Glock without a malfunction however every round I've ever shot hasn't had an issue (besides Win White Box with bad brass to start with). I'm actually leaning more towars a 124 +p+ after the replies.

Is there a good place to review ballistic tests with each type of ammo?

I do follow tnoutdoors9 on youtube but I didn't know if there was a chart or something somewhere.

Go to www.le.atk.com which is the Federal/Speer LE Site Under the ballistic testing section, take a look at the videos and test data. The debate between fast/light vs slow/heavy will never end. Do your own research and choose what you are confident with and what functions well in your pistol. Bottom line is any bullet or caliber will work very well at times and fail badly at times. It is the nature of handguns. My choice in 9mm is the standard pressure 147gr Federal HST. Bill

simotek
08-23-2012, 13:42
I have been happy with Gold Dot 124gr +p. Functions perfectly in all my Glocks and seems to have a good reputation.

I worry less about whether or not I have the best round (though I do make sure I use one that is proven effective) then take the time to practice and make sure I can actually hit stuff with it. :)

Roering
08-23-2012, 16:34
I wouldn't recommend anything under a 165gr bullet.

mastrbloata
08-23-2012, 16:51
Based SOLEY on what I've seen in a few tests thusfar, I'd have to say that if you're going 147, go 147gr. HST. (Federal) The HST in 147 doesn't go as deeply as some of the other 147gr. offerings but it does expand quite a bit for a 147.

unit1069
08-23-2012, 20:49
For me it all depends on the pistol. In my pocket 9mm I carry a standard pressure 115-grain JHP that provides outstanding accuracy. In my sub-compact 9mm I'm currently carrying 124-grain HST +P, with about a half-dozen other premium JHP rounds in standard and +P/+P+ configuration that I'd have complete confidence in.

If you're going for the heavy 147-grain ammo then the standard pressure stuff is as good as the +P, from what I can tell, although I've never shot any heavy-for-caliber rounds myself in that caliber. If you instead like the +P, well the cost for both is the same so pick the one you like best. If I was going to CCW the heavy rounds I'd probably end up with HST, Gold Dot, and Golden Saber Bonded, picking whichever one suited my fancy on any given day.

M&P15T
08-25-2012, 13:09
It really doesn't matter what high-quality JHP load you go with. These days, it's all pretty good.

Put it another way, no matter what ammo you choose, it's not gonna turn your pistol into a 1 shot Uber Stopper.

G35DriverG19Carrier
08-28-2012, 08:05
It really doesn't matter what high-quality JHP load you go with. These days, it's all pretty good.

Put it another way, no matter what ammo you choose, it's not gonna turn your pistol into a 1 shot Uber Stopper.

Thats kind of the way I was leaning I mean I realize the only "Uber Stopper" is a high power rifle round but I just wanted to make sure I didn't over penetrate or it was a decent load. Thanks for the input.

BTW Archer... best cartoon on TV.

9mmParabellum
08-28-2012, 09:22
147's are garbage, why? They are taking away what the 9mm needs to be effective, velocity,period. If you have a big bore like a 45 you can run a heavy, momentum based bullet because you'll have the weight and diameter of the bullet. The 9mm 147 has neither and doesn't have the velocity needed to be effective. I've seen 147's fail miserably time and again, on things they shouldn't have failed on. Door frames, side window glass in a car, sheetmetal in same car, they bounced right off. The list goes on and on, carry what you like and believe what you like, there are lot's of "experts" online who will tell you the 147 is THE bullet/load for the 9mm. For my hind end it's a medium weight 124/127 at +p or +p+ velocities, current carry in Ranger T 127. Just got my Underwood order in and I will be testing their 124 +p+ out in my carry nines, if all is well that will be my new carry load.

So true the 147gr just does not have a good street record.

DWARREN123
08-28-2012, 12:48
Any modern SD ammo should work okay. A SD shooting is not like the range and there will be many more variables than just how the bullet works.

pck50
08-28-2012, 16:08
www.buffalobore.com
www.underwoodammo.com

Either brand with 115grain +P+ velocity 1400fps 501 Energy Pounds.

Hello, this is my first post in this area of the forum and only my 3rd overall (even the intro forum). I am currently Carrying 147g Bonded Golden Saber +P in my G19. Also this ammo was bought for me by a friend who said that that is what a lot of our local LEOs carry off duty if they choose a 9mm (ours carry G22s).

I have read that most of you guys really don't like the 147g stuff and I had 2 main questions to this.

2. What is a decent ammo to carry. I do personally believe faster and heavier = more damage. But I am totally open to opinions and any facts that I have overlooked.

AquaHull
09-01-2012, 13:46
I have been happy with Gold Dot 124gr +p. Functions perfectly in all my Glocks and seems to have a good reputation.

I worry less about whether or not I have the best round (though I do make sure I use one that is proven effective) then take the time to practice and make sure I can actually hit stuff with it. :)

Bonded bullet that stays together unlike some other top sellers

G35DriverG19Carrier
09-01-2012, 14:22
Are the 124 Gold Dots bonded? That was one thing I did like about my Golden Sabers

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

klmmicro
09-01-2012, 16:14
Are the 124 Gold Dots bonded? That was one thing I did like about my Golden Sabers

Gold Dots have the jacket infused into the lead core and they act more like a plated bullet than jacketed. I have never had one fail in testing and every Gold Dot made certainly resides in the premium category.

Kentguy
09-01-2012, 18:08
I have been carrying the Hornday 124g XTP for quite a while but I kinda like Hornady's new Critical Duty 135g bullet. Have only watched YouTube videos and the article in American Rifleman.

mastrbloata
09-03-2012, 11:25

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Yes, they are bonded.

SCmasterblaster
09-12-2012, 17:00
I'd go with the 9mm 115gr JHP +p+ load from Winchester or Federal. I get 1400 FPS out of my G17. You should get 1350ish FPS out of your G19.

Warp
09-12-2012, 17:12
I have read that most of you guys really don't like the 147g

I think you mis understand.

The 147gr is just fine. I carry it almost as frequently as 124 and 127.

SCmasterblaster
09-12-2012, 18:04
I think you mis understand.

The 147gr is just fine. I carry it almost as frequently as 124 and 127.

Why such a random mix? They all hit the paper in various places. :upeyes:

Warp
09-12-2012, 19:34
Why such a random mix? They all hit the paper in various places. :upeyes:

Please, save the sarcasm :upeyes:

They hit the paper close enough for defensive purposes. I certainly don't adjust my point of aim based on the weight of the bullet that is in the gun.

BuzznRose
09-12-2012, 19:52

Your bullet fine, per the authority: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm

SCmasterblaster
09-12-2012, 20:12
Please, save the sarcasm :upeyes:

They hit the paper close enough for defensive purposes. I certainly don't adjust my point of aim based on the weight of the bullet that is in the gun.

I fail to see where I indulged in sarcasm. I was just recognizing that a 9mm 115gr bullet at 1300 FPS would hit significantly lower than a 147gr bullet doing 900 FPS.

Warp
09-12-2012, 20:52
I fail to see where I indulged in sarcasm. I was just recognizing that a 9mm 115gr bullet at 1300 FPS would hit significantly lower than a 147gr bullet doing 900 FPS.

Where did you, or I, say anything about a 115gr bullet?

SCmasterblaster
09-15-2012, 11:17
Where did you, or I, say anything about a 115gr bullet?

I brought the 115gr and 147gr bullets in for they are common bullet weights in 9mmP. The 147gr bullet hits a bit higher on the target paper.

elliotb33
09-15-2012, 11:26
Federal 9BPLE

G26S239
09-15-2012, 12:07
Your bullet fine, per the authority: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm
Did the authority get the list from Yahweh on Mt Sinai?

avenues165
09-15-2012, 18:24
I, as well, do not believe there is one authority on all things related to handgun ballistics. Both sides (heavy/slow, light/fast) make good points, and both sides seem to lack something, IMHO. The list found by clicking the link is from a heavy/slow proponent that believes that only penetration matters. Having seen many animals get shot by hunters I am not convinced that only penetration matters, even with handguns. Some loads that are reported by others on GT to have very good street records are not on the list.

My personal preference is for middle of the road weight bullets moving at or near maximum speeds for each cartridge type I shoot. I split the difference between heavy/slow and light/fast. Since I don't have all of the answers I have decided this is the best approach to load selection for me.

Everyone has to make the decision on their SD load. Some may agree with me, many do not. That is OK, I think that each person needs to use what they feel is best for them.

ETA - Saying that the "authority" believes only penetration matters is to overly simplify his position. I should say he favors penetration over other things.

unit1069
09-15-2012, 19:01
I'd like to see a number of 9mm calibrated gel tests using a platform with a 3" barrel. A good candidate for the test weapon would be the new S&W Shield as that pistol apparently has been a very reliable one since its introduction.

There are enough tests in 9mm with the 4" barrel length to allow everyone with the ability to do their own research to arrive at a personal decision. It appears to me that as barrel length increases the bullet weight a particular caliber was designed around only increases in effectiveness, with heavier weight bullets becoming viable with greater barrel length and SAAMI pressure.

There are so many hundreds of thousands of micro 9mm pistols in private hands today that I really think the next step in this area is the investigation into how the various weight bullets perform in the same media used to establish criteria for barrels of 4" or longer. I wouldn't be surprised to learn a 115-grain 9mm bullet outperform a 147-grain bullet in the micro-sized pistol.

BuzznRose
09-15-2012, 20:25

LOL! Sorry Bro, I meant to say "an authority". The author is a professional at ballistics...

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

G26S239
09-15-2012, 22:00
LOL! Sorry Bro, I meant to say "an authority". The author is a professional at ballistics...

:wavey:

Merkavaboy
09-15-2012, 22:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznRose
Your bullet fine, per the authority: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De.../index.htm#9mm

Good question. These are the same people who adamantly refuse to acknowledge the FACT that both the 9mm 115JHP+P+ and the 357Mag 125JHP, used by street cops across the nation in hundreds of shootings, have a proven street record.

But hey, DocGKR doesn't let such facts get in the way when it comes down to testing bullets in the artificial labratory under artificial conditions using ballistic jello that cannot and will never be able to simulate real human flesh, blood and bones.

stevewonderful
09-16-2012, 12:13

What is the author's degree in?? Say it with me, Dentistry.
:whistling:

"Merkavaboy: Good question. These are the same people who adamantly refuse to acknowledge the FACT that both the 9mm 115JHP+P+ and the 357Mag 125JHP, used by street cops across the nation in hundreds of shootings, have a proven street record.

But hey, DocGKR doesn't let such facts get in the way when it comes down to testing bullets in the artificial labratory under artificial conditions using ballistic jello that cannot and will never be able to simulate real human flesh, blood and bones."
^^^^^^This!

Kalmah
09-16-2012, 12:25
I'd like to see a number of 9mm calibrated gel tests using a platform with a 3" barrel. A good candidate for the test weapon would be the new S&W Shield as that pistol apparently has been a very reliable one since its introduction.

There are enough tests in 9mm with the 4" barrel length to allow everyone with the ability to do their own research to arrive at a personal decision. It appears to me that as barrel length increases the bullet weight a particular caliber was designed around only increases in effectiveness, with heavier weight bullets becoming viable with greater barrel length and SAAMI pressure.

There are so many hundreds of thousands of micro 9mm pistols in private hands today that I really think the next step in this area is the investigation into how the various weight bullets perform in the same media used to establish criteria for barrels of 4" or longer. I wouldn't be surprised to learn a 115-grain 9mm bullet outperform a 147-grain bullet in the micro-sized pistol.
I agree. All the testing that has been done has been with 4" or longer barrels. All the street results come from police officers carrying full-sized duty weapons.

But a lot of people, myself included, carry sub-compact or micro 9mm handguns for CCW. We've all heard over and over again which bullets work out of full-sized handguns. I'd like to know if those same bullets are recommended for for 3" barrels, or if the shorter barrel changes the game completely.

avenues165
09-16-2012, 19:24
I agree. All the testing that has been done has been with 4" or longer barrels. All the street results come from police officers carrying full-sized duty weapons.

But a lot of people, myself included, carry sub-compact or micro 9mm handguns for CCW. We've all heard over and over again which bullets work out of full-sized handguns. I'd like to know if those same bullets are recommended for for 3" barrels, or if the shorter barrel changes the game completely.

A very good question, fewer people carry pistols that fit the 4" barrel criteria. Pistols are getting smaller and smaller. There is a member of GT that does mouse gun tests in Sim-test media. He tests the smaller calibers (.32, .380, etc.) and also tests 9mm and .40 s&w (IIRC) out of short-barreled pistols. That may be a good resource for those with short-barreled SD pistols.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a G24 that I would like to use for a HD pistol. However, with a 6" barrel I am moving the GDs faster than the 4" barrel used for many tests.

I finally made the decision to go with the G23 w/357 sig barrel for HD using G22 mags. I am just a little worried about JHPs remaining intact at the velocities I am getting in a 6" barrel. I have seen my G24 blow too many JHPs apart when shooting water bottles.

unit1069
09-16-2012, 21:45
I finally made the decision to go with the G23 w/357 sig barrel for HD using G22 mags. I am just a little worried about JHPs remaining intact at the velocities I am getting in a 6" barrel. I have seen my G24 blow too many JHPs apart when shooting water bottles.

You should be all right with 125-grain Speer Gold Dot or Remington Golden Saber +P Bonded at the velocities you're likely to get with these ammos.

avenues165
09-18-2012, 23:16
You should be all right with 125-grain Speer Gold Dot or Remington Golden Saber +P Bonded at the velocities you're likely to get with these ammos.

I've been thinking a lot about this. I have some GD 53918 that I am going to test in Oct. I am guessing that it does ~1,300 to 1,330fps in a 4" barrel, so I am guessing that I am probably getting ~1,400 to 1,450fps from a 6" barrel, maybe a little more. I'll be testing with just water jugs, for a worst-case expansion test. I can live with some fragmentation (petals peeling off). I can't live with the mess I've seen from other JHPs out of that barrel.

If I had a G19 I think I would go with one of the 124/127gr +p offerings from Speer, Winchester, Federal, etc. I have to say that I am very intrigued by 9BPLE. It flies in the face of current trends towards bonded, heavy-for-caliber, non-fragmenting loads. But it seems to have a good street rep. per many GT members.

BTW - Where does everyone get the street results that are discussed often on GT? I can't seem to find them anywhere, and feel like a idiot regurgitating those results without seeing the sources. Books, internet, other sources?

SCmasterblaster
09-27-2012, 20:37
I've been thinking a lot about this. I have some GD 53918 that I am going to test in Oct. I am guessing that it does ~1,300 to 1,330fps in a 4" barrel, so I am guessing that I am probably getting ~1,400 to 1,450fps from a 6" barrel, maybe a little more. I'll be testing with just water jugs, for a worst-case expansion test. I can live with some fragmentation (petals peeling off). I can't live with the mess I've seen from other JHPs out of that barrel.

If I had a G19 I think I would go with one of the 124/127gr +p offerings from Speer, Winchester, Federal, etc. I have to say that I am very intrigued by 9BPLE. It flies in the face of current trends towards bonded, heavy-for-caliber, non-fragmenting loads. But it seems to have a good street rep. per many GT members.

BTW - Where does everyone get the street results that are discussed often on GT? I can't seem to find them anywhere, and feel like a idiot regurgitating those results without seeing the sources. Books, internet, other sources?

Evan Marshall is an authoritative source of handgun performance on the street. he wrote a book about it.

captcurly
09-28-2012, 19:34
Hornady Critical Duty 9mm +P.

Indianashooter
09-28-2012, 20:15
I generally alternate between 124 Gr Gold Dots or 125 Gr Cor Bon stuff. Feeds and shoot great out of my G19. I currently have some of that Hornady Zombie max stuff in it. Surprisingly or perhaps not surprisingly, they are damn accurate. I plan on getting some Underwood 9mm to try out. My G20 LOVES Underwood!

cowboy1964
09-28-2012, 22:02
I love it when people poo-poo gel testing. You got something better that you're keeping a secret?

Doc is a DENTIST???! Well there ya go, he must be an idiot and must not really have done any of this ballistics work over the years that he's claimed.

There are 147 grainers on his list so I'm not even sure why this topic came up.

unit1069
09-28-2012, 22:25
I've been thinking a lot about this. I have some GD 53918 that I am going to test in Oct. I am guessing that it does ~1,300 to 1,330fps in a 4" barrel, so I am guessing that I am probably getting ~1,400 to 1,450fps from a 6" barrel, maybe a little more.

I think that particular round would be very effective for self-defense as the 5-petal .357sig Gold Dot is supposed to be "limited penetration" at nominal .357sig caliber velocity. Through a barrel with 2" additional length that bullet ought to be more than enough.

I am very curious about this particular Speer bullet as it's not offered to reloaders and is a proprietary Speer product. The only tests I've seen for this round is tnoutdoors9's and it performed superbly in his video.

With your setup the 5-petal .357sig Gold Dot might yield less penetration but with a more explosive impact wound track.

avenues165
09-29-2012, 00:11
While the extra velocity is an attractive aspect of the G24, the main reason I keep it as my HD pistol is that I shoot it a little better than my G23. Not just with regards to accuracy, I get that 2nd and 3rd shot a little quicker. Plus, it weighs enough I can club someone with it if I run out of bullets:rofl:

Seriously, I feel the extra 2" of barrel does give me some extra options. I would imagine 155gr and 165gr .40 bullets are moving pretty quickly out of the 6" barrel. A 147 gr 357 sig load might be interesting with the added velocity. I have come to the conclusion that as long as I stick with a bonded bullet I'll be OK.

SCmasterblaster
09-29-2012, 08:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznRose
Your bullet fine, per the authority: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De.../index.htm#9mm

Good question. These are the same people who adamantly refuse to acknowledge the FACT that both the 9mm 115JHP+P+ and the 357Mag 125JHP, used by street cops across the nation in hundreds of shootings, have a proven street record.

But hey, DocGKR doesn't let such facts get in the way when it comes down to testing bullets in the artificial labratory under artificial conditions using ballistic jello that cannot and will never be able to simulate real human flesh, blood and bones.

I am glad to hear this, seeing how I carry WW 9mm +p+ 115gr JHP ammo.

stevewonderful
09-29-2012, 18:47
[QUOTE=cowboy1964;19466490]I love it when people poo-poo gel testing. You got something better that you're keeping a secret?

"Doc is a DENTIST???! Well there ya go, he must be an idiot and must not really have done any of this ballistics work over the years that he's claimed."

I wouldn't say he's an idiot. But many people go around calling him a "author and a professional at ballistics". He certainly has a lot of experience testing bullets like many ammunition Aficionado's, but his professional education wasn't in ballistics.
Many tout his opinion as coming from Mt. Olympus. I take my knowledge from many sources, lab and street and choose accordingly. :wavey:

avenues165
09-29-2012, 21:38
I think gel testing is a great way to compare loads. It allows you to see if one load penetrates more than another, if one bullet expands more than another, etc. However, I think there is a lot to learn from real world load performance. My biggest issue with both sides of this debate is that they completely ignore each other.

Gel testing is not the only way to gather information on loads. At the same time, street results need to be gathered in a way that allow them to be analysed scientifically and statistically.

Or, on the other hand, you miss and none of it matters:smoking:

samuse
09-29-2012, 21:46
I carry a Glock 19, never shot in self defense, but I have shot a few little hogs with it and a couple of skunks.

I shot the hogs with Winchester NATO, the skunks with 124+p Gold Dots.

All were DRT. Shot placement.

I carry Win Ranger T 127+p+, Fed HST 147+p and Win PDX 124+p. No particular rhyme or reason why/when I carry the different types. I've tested all of 'em for function and accuracy and hope I can put 'em where I need 'em when I need to.

avenues165
09-29-2012, 23:56
Shot placement.

There it is.

HWA GLOCKER
09-30-2012, 23:20
147 gr. HSTs

RyanBDawg
09-30-2012, 23:28
This is what I carry.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/9mm-Winchester-PDX1-124-gr.-HP-354x200.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s

SCmasterblaster
10-01-2012, 09:37
This is what I carry.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/9mm-Winchester-PDX1-124-gr.-HP-354x200.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s

That is a decent load. If I recall correctly, that load chronoed at about 1250 FPS.

thesilverbullet
10-31-2012, 18:11
just pickup a box of 147 +P and 124 +P HST's for my g19 gen 4 from ammo to go. still on the fence here.

one thing for sure federal would not produce a 147gr HST for giggles...

SCmasterblaster
10-31-2012, 18:25
just pickup a box of 147 +P and 124 +P HST's for my g19 gen 4 from ammo to go. still on the fence here.

one thing for sure federal would not produce a 147gr HST for giggles...

I'd use the 124 gr loads. They'll exceed 1200 FPS out of your G19. :cool:

NEOH212
11-01-2012, 01:43
In 9mm, any one of the following loads would be fine by me:

1. Winchester Ranger T-Series 127 grain +P+

2. Federal HST 124 grain +p

3. Speer Gold Dot 124 Grain +P

(Those aren't in any particular order.) I'd trust my life to any of those without a second thought.

NEOH212
11-01-2012, 01:44
I'd use the 124 gr loads. They'll exceed 1200 FPS out of your G19. :cool:

This!

:thumbsup::agree:

(The only other exception is the Ranger T-Series 127 +P+.)

jim7777b
11-01-2012, 04:16
:offtopic:All have good input---I have shot most of them---my current favorite is the Critical Duty Hornday +P 135's--accurate with great reliability reputation. Thus far I have only had to shoot paper of course, and I am human with the same hard-wired response to a threat as the rest. After I retired from the Navy, one of the many things I did to "get out of the house" was 3 years working at a shooting range. Lots of fun, either shooting and/or talking about shooting every day. Best shooter I ever observed was a 20 something Virginia State Trooper---tear the bull up at 25 yards with a G26--I am decent but not quite up to that level. So my 2 cents I suppose is work on the muscle memory enough and it doesn't matter too much if you shoot a .22 or a .50. Two to the ticker and one upstairs-------:rofl:

SCmasterblaster
11-01-2012, 13:37
:offtopic:All have good input---I have shot most of them---my current favorite is the Critical Duty Hornday +P 135's--accurate with great reliability reputation. Thus far I have only had to shoot paper of course, and I am human with the same hard-wired response to a threat as the rest. After I retired from the Navy, one of the many things I did to "get out of the house" was 3 years working at a shooting range. Lots of fun, either shooting and/or talking about shooting every day. Best shooter I ever observed was a 20 something Virginia State Trooper---tear the bull up at 25 yards with a G26--I am decent but not quite up to that level. So my 2 cents I suppose is work on the muscle memory enough and it doesn't matter too much if you shoot a .22 or a .50. Two to the ticker and one upstairs-------:rofl:

I have heard a bit about these light-weight .40 S&W loadings. What velocities do they get with the 135gr bullet?

thesilverbullet
12-05-2012, 17:48
thanks for input on the 124's..