What percentage of your ammo supply is defensive? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What percentage of your ammo supply is defensive?

Silent Sir
08-22-2012, 23:45
My wife and I are new shooters who recently purchased our first two pistols - a Glock 19 and 26, both new Gen 4's. We have read different opinions concerning the amount of ammo to have on hand but we have not seen recommendations on what percentage of that ammo should be defensive and what percentage range ammo.

We presently have about 1600 rounds of range ammo with the intention to purchase a thousand rounds every time we get down between 800-1000.

We have a very small supply of defense ammo and will be looking to make a purchase soon. We will probably shoot one magazine of defensive ammo each time we hit the range just to work it in and keep it fresh. Any input on how much defense ammunition is reasonable given it will not be shot often? We would likely be shooting say ... 100 defensive rounds per year. We were thinking 500 defensive rounds on hand at all times. That would give us a ratio of 3 range rounds on hand for every 1 defensive round. Thoughts?

Tiro Fijo
08-23-2012, 01:47
... We will probably shoot one magazine of defensive ammo each time we hit the range just to work it in and keep it fresh...

"Fresh"? It's ammunition, not eggs nor milk. Kept dry & reasonably cool it will survive unto your grandchildren's generation. There is no need to shoot more than a box of defensive ammo through each Glock to find the POA and check reliability, which is rarely (if ever) an issue in a Glock with quality ammo and a capable shooter. If you don't reload then find a solid practice round that duplicates your carry load. Good luck. :wavey:

There is no real need to have on hand a large amount of defensive ammo despite the forebodings of doomsday soothsayers predicting the "end of days".

vafish
08-23-2012, 05:26
"Fresh"? It's ammunition, not eggs nor milk. Kept dry & reasonably cool it will survive unto your grandchildren's generation. There is no need to shoot more than a box of defensive ammo through each Glock to find the POA and check reliability, which is rarely (if ever) an issue in a Glock with quality ammo and a capable shooter. If you don't reload then find a solid practice round that duplicates your carry load. Good luck. :wavey:

There is no real need to have on hand a large amount of defensive ammo despite the forebodings of doomsday soothsayers predicting the "end of days".

Agree,

I keep a couple of boxes of each caliber of defensive ammo. My practice ammo is mostly reloads so I make that up as needed and as time allows.

For all the people that think you need tens of thousands of rounds stored up for shtf, how do you plan on carrying it when you have to walk out?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PghJim
08-23-2012, 06:11
My only concern about the carry ammo is whether I will be able to get it when my supply runs low. I generally keep 500 rounds in stock, which would be slightly over $300 worth. I do not think the ratio question is valid. If the SHTF it all becomes defensive ammo to me.

Smoker
08-23-2012, 06:18
remember all that you put out here on this here internet can be read by the whole world & sometimes all the tough talk sounds really cool, sometimes a little digression goes a long ways..

PghJim
08-23-2012, 06:47
"digression" ??

Silent Sir
08-23-2012, 07:53
Thanks for the input, glad I threw the topic out there before ordering. I recognize that ammo would have a long shelf life but I thought like anything the reliability would go down fractionally over time. Will probably settle for 100 rounds since we have two seperate shooters and guns in the house. That equates to 50 rounds per person.

ronin.45
08-23-2012, 09:27
I have around 50-60 rounds of defensive ammo in 9mm and the same in .45. I don't see any need to shoot it at paper so it'll last me years. I keep 6-10k rounds of range ammo on hand so it's a relatively small percentage. I'm not married to any particular round or company so I don't worry about not being able to buy my ammo in the future.

FatBoy
08-23-2012, 10:47
I buy ammo by the case, JHPs or FMJs, doesn't matter.

Adamz04
08-23-2012, 12:22
I'm about at a 90/10% ratio. I like to have around 1000rds of range ammo in my calibers and about 100 defensive rounds for each

ranger1968
08-23-2012, 12:25
What percentage of your ammo supply is defensive?

That's easy;

All of it.

John Biltz
08-23-2012, 17:10
Percentage is a worthless formula. You want enough to load all the guns and magazines you reasonably might use for selfdefense. I tend to keep enough to reload that once. Which is excessive for 99.99% circumstances. Then I stockpile what I am going to shoot on ranges for what I figure I might need taking into account shortages that might happen. Before the big shortage that was 400 rounds. After the shortage that was a years supply or 5,000 rounds. I've pushed past that because of the election. But I'm letting it go down again.

I've been spending money on prepping gear instead of guns and ammo which I think is more important the last few months and feel better about it. I figure I'm good now for about 90 days.

Kentguy
08-23-2012, 17:48
Silent Sir,

I think you're on the right track with your thinking here but as pointed out, it is not really a percentage issue and it is more a cost and comfort issue. How much can you spend and how much do you feel comfortable keeping on the shelf. 70% target and 30% defense is not unreasonable.

True - if you store your ammo in a cool dry place it will last for decades, so as I said the real answer is how much do you and your wife shoot? If it turns out to be quite a bit or just once in a while either way I'd buy enough for 1 years supply.

As far as Home/Self defense ammo you should be VERY FIMILIAR with your gun and the ammo you intend to use in it. After all this is the stuff you are going to trust your life with so shoot it often and the 2 of you should be proficient from 20 yards and in.

I hope this helps.

Alan

ratf51
08-23-2012, 18:20
I realize that this is not a "fixed number" by any means but the rule of thumb that I am comfortable with is the ability to load all my magazines twice with my choice of defensive round. If you have 3 15-round mags then 90 rounds is the comfortable place. Actually, 92 if you take into consideration having one in the chamber (and I do.) Of course the number varies dependent upon how many mags you have-- as you buy more mags then you also buy more defensive ammo.

PaulMason
08-23-2012, 18:38
My wife and I are new shooters who recently purchased our first two pistols - a Glock 19 and 26, both new Gen 4's. We have read different opinions concerning the amount of ammo to have on hand but we have not seen recommendations on what percentage of that ammo should be defensive and what percentage range ammo.

We presently have about 1600 rounds of range ammo with the intention to purchase a thousand rounds every time we get down between 800-1000.

We have a very small supply of defense ammo and will be looking to make a purchase soon. We will probably shoot one magazine of defensive ammo each time we hit the range just to work it in and keep it fresh. Any input on how much defense ammunition is reasonable given it will not be shot often? We would likely be shooting say ... 100 defensive rounds per year. We were thinking 500 defensive rounds on hand at all times. That would give us a ratio of 3 range rounds on hand for every 1 defensive round. Thoughts?

I don't understand. What situation are you preparing for that you are concerned about the amount of defensive ammo you have? Are you thinking about a SHTF or TEWAWKI?

Walk Soft
08-23-2012, 18:45
Probably 15% or so.

GLOCK17DB9
08-23-2012, 18:47
all of it! just some for practice and some for bad guy!:supergrin:

BuzznRose
08-23-2012, 18:47

That's easy;

All of it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Yep...if need be!

PettyOfficer
08-23-2012, 19:18
I too am between 10-15% shooting about 5 rounds each time I got to the range after I've shot all my practice/range rounds... I figure, warm up with the cheap stuff then make my RA45TP (+P for compact G30 barrel) rounds count and keep the kick fresh in my memory until next range trip.

unit1069
08-23-2012, 20:38

About 2/3rd of my ammo stash is premium JHP self-defense rounds, but that's because I've been on a search for the best round I can find. I keep at least one magazine of every round, even the ones I've passed over for preferred status.

That percentage will probably change before long because I've narrowed things down quite a bit for the pistols I have, so in the future I expect to be upping my range ammo inventory.

As things stand right now I carry a different ammo in all three pistols, two 9mm and one .357sig.

ADK_40GLKr
08-24-2012, 14:17
My answer would be "a lot higher than the percentage of living, breathing targets I plan to "stop" relative to paper ones."

I think I have 50 to 100 rounds of various kinds of JHP, which I practice with some, and keep replenished as I run low. I keep one or the other of my pistols loaded with SD/HD with "1 in the pipe". When I go to the range I shoot that one, and then a bunch of cheapies. That way my JHP supply gets rotated gradually, and I get some trigger time with the JHP's.

Between my 9mm & my .40 cal I probably have about 500 FMJ on hand right now.

Since I'm trying to classify with my G27 right now, I probably have more .40 FMJ than usual, as I normally practice more with the G17.

Since I "kill" about 3 targets a week @ IDPA ... UH....

let's just say the woodchucks in my backyard and a deer this fall might be in trouble.

elliotb33
08-24-2012, 14:31
Well with ammo prices always going up I found a good deal on 9BPLE on CTD.com for $17.49 for 50 (they no longer carry it now). I bought 1,050 rounds with shipping it was about $18.49 per box of 50. 1) If prices keep going up I can sell some and make some cash. 2) SHTF I am set with good SD ammo.
Practice 9mm I have roughly 2,800.

4949shooter
08-24-2012, 15:33
Handgun ammo, around 50%.

Rifle and shotgun ammo, whether it be soft point, full metal jacket, or buckshot/slug I consider it all to be defensive, or offensive depending on the situation. Even my coyote shotgun and rifle loads I would consider defensive.

cowboy1964
08-24-2012, 19:46
My only concern about the carry ammo is whether I will be able to get it when my supply runs low. I generally keep 500 rounds in stock, which would be slightly over $300 worth. I do not think the ratio question is valid. If the SHTF it all becomes defensive ammo to me.

So just when the odds are highest you may need it, you will be treating range ammo as defensive ammo? Doesn't make much sense when you think about it.

If you get into 10 gun fights and survive and have depleted all your JHPs, ok then, start using the FMJs.

elliotb33
08-24-2012, 20:34
So just when the odds are highest you may need it, you will be treating range ammo as defensive ammo? Doesn't make much sense when you think about it.

If you get into 10 gun fights and survive and have depleted all your JHPs, ok then, start using the FMJs.

FMJ would be okay for zombies :)

Rev.357
08-24-2012, 21:17
500-1000rd SD & 500-1000rd range on hand all the time

jhc37013
08-24-2012, 22:06
For one gun like my G30 I keep 2 or 3 boxes of Winchester PDX1 (60rds) and about 500rds of FMJ. Now you don't have to keep in storage the premium SD ammo like PDX1, Gold Dots etc.. You can buy those Remington JHP 100rd budget packs its pretty good stuff for the price and keep 500rds or so of that on hand just to make you feel better about having plenty of SD ammo, it is also inexpensive enough you won't feel guilty shooting plenty of it at the range.

JW1178
08-24-2012, 22:34
All of it, however some is perfered for the range.

Really, I was about to say 95% because I'm about out of practice ammo and just had about 30rds of 9mm FMJ, but we can drop that percentage down to about 75% because I just found a ammo can with about 200rds of 10mm FMJ from GA Arms that I didn't know I had. It's kind of like finding a $100 bill you forgot you had or thought you had lost....

SCORE!!!!!!!!

Actually, it is about $100..... :supergrin:

ca survivor
08-25-2012, 10:14
Agree,

I keep a couple of boxes of each caliber of defensive ammo. My practice ammo is mostly reloads so I make that up as needed and as time allows.

For all the people that think you need tens of thousands of rounds stored up for shtf, how do you plan on carrying it when you have to walk out?

Right, some of us might have to leave guns behind too.

CanyonMan
08-25-2012, 15:50
Agree,I keep a couple of boxes of each caliber of defensive ammo. My practice ammo is mostly reloads so I make that up as needed and as time allows.

Trio Fijo said: "Fresh"? It's ammunition, not eggs nor milk. Kept dry & reasonably cool it will survive unto your grandchildren's generation. There is no need to shoot more than a box of defensive ammo through each Glock to find the POA and check reliability, which is rarely (if ever) an issue in a Glock with quality ammo and a capable shooter. If you don't reload then find a solid practice round that duplicates your carry load. Good luck.

I agree with both these guys here....

CM

barth
08-25-2012, 15:58
I must confess to favoring quality classic JHP for practice.
And the expensive high tech JHP for SD.
Maybe 10% of my ammo is FMJ or target loads.
A classic Federal JHP is clean, very accurate and can be used
as SD ammo in a shortage situation.

I just bought 500 rounds of it in 40 for my P30.
Only 15.95 for 50.

Silent Sir
08-25-2012, 20:20
In addition to being new shooters we are also new on Glock Talk. Not sure if it's appropriate to take the subject on a tangent but it's probably a pretty simple question. We did end up purchasing 1,000 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 grain 9mm from Target Sports. After we deplete some 115 grain Remington this will be our standard practice ammo and weight for the time being. I have heard you want to shoot the same weight in your practice ammo as you keep for defensive ammo. My question is if I have 124 grain practice ammo is it recommended or not to use 124 grain +p ammo. I assume you want to practice the way you may need to shoot in an emergency and the +p would certainly have a different feel even if it is the same weight. ??

michael e
08-25-2012, 20:23
Very little, about 2 mags for each gun and 2-3 boxes for each caliber. I have about 1k of diffrent bullet weights I haven't loaded up yet to test and see what I will go with.
99% of centerfire ammo in my house is lead bullets since it cheapest and paper targets are fine with it over JHPs.

1canvas
08-25-2012, 20:41
for defense ammo 500 rounds per gun minimum, rifle 1000. I bought my fist Glock in 08 and seen what happened to defense ammo supplies then, when you could find it the price was outrageous.
I don't want to be in that situation again. I would be more comfortable with 1000 rounds per gun and thats what I'm working on. its tuff shelling out that kind of cash for ammo but I put a very high priority on ammo performance and I don't want to have to defend myself with FMJ ammo, even in .45.

1canvas
08-25-2012, 20:49
In addition to being new shooters we are also new on Glock Talk. Not sure if it's appropriate to take the subject on a tangent but it's probably a pretty simple question. We did end up purchasing 1,000 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 grain 9mm from Target Sports. After we deplete some 115 grain Remington this will be our standard practice ammo and weight for the time being. I have heard you want to shoot the same weight in your practice ammo as you keep for defensive ammo. My question is if I have 124 grain practice ammo is it recommended or not to use 124 grain +p ammo. I assume you want to practice the way you may need to shoot in an emergency and the +p would certainly have a different feel even if it is the same weight. ??

in a defense situation you won't know the difference, you probably won't hear the gun go bang. in 9mm I would want the most powerful proven round I could buy. I don't own a 9mm but if I did it would be loaded with either HST, Ranger, or Gold Dot in a 124-127 grn. +P.

Silent Sir
08-25-2012, 21:06
Thanks for the input. There's a gun show coming soon near my town and I was planning on checking out what the Gold Dot 124 + p's were going for compared to internet pricing.

Merkavaboy
08-25-2012, 22:02
I have about 1500 rounds of my carry ammo in 9mm and 6K+ in ball ammo for practice. I have at least another 5K in misc calibers (not including .22LR).

The only ammo I buy now is for collecting purposes.

unit1069
08-25-2012, 22:16
We did end up purchasing 1,000 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 grain 9mm from Target Sports. After we deplete some 115 grain Remington this will be our standard practice ammo and weight for the time being. I have heard you want to shoot the same weight in your practice ammo as you keep for defensive ammo. My question is if I have 124 grain practice ammo is it recommended or not to use 124 grain +p ammo. I assume you want to practice the way you may need to shoot in an emergency and the +p would certainly have a different feel even if it is the same weight. ??

Maybe some people will dispute my opinion, but the Speer Lawman FMJ range/practice ammo is the best available.

There might be a slight difference between standard pressure and +P JHP self-defense ammo but not so much I'd worry about with a top drawer pistol/ammo selection.

I think you made a fine purchase of range ammo and my personal opinion is to stick with only major American ammo companies offering premium ammo in the 115 - 127 bullet weight, with some consideration to evaluating the opinions of those who like the 147-grain ammo. (Not criticizing opinions but my personal view is if you want to mimic .45ACP then for cripes sake just buy a .45ACP pistol)

You've got great range ammo so try your best to match it up with similar 124-grain premium JHP self-defense ammo.

4949shooter
08-26-2012, 01:46

As others have mentioned don't worry about it. My agency trains with the Speer Lawman 124 grain. We carry the Gold Dot 124 grain standard pressure. There is even a noticeable difference in power going between these two.

n0leafcl0ver
08-26-2012, 03:16
i keep a couple of boxes of defense ammo and about 2000 rounds of quality target ammo on hand per caliber. if the SHTF target ammo will kill just as well. buy u some military ammo cans so it stays nice and dry.

NEOH212
08-26-2012, 03:27
Handgun ammo: I keep about 3 boxes of each caliber that I will carry. The rest is practice ammo.

Rifle ammo: I don't have anything special for defensive ammo for the rifles. The M4 is loaded with M855 though. Good enough.

The shotguns: Loaded with 00 buck.

I don't see the need in stock piling ammo like some people do. I have a few hundred rounds of each and that's it. I purchase ammo as I need it. When I run out, I buy more.

J_P
08-26-2012, 14:14
I keep about 30% jhp all golddots.

RYT 2BER
08-26-2012, 17:50
About 99% of my ammo is defense.

I have it in case there is some problem buying it or some kind of shtf scenario. If ammo was in great shortage the last thing I would be doing is wasting it on target practice.

Never understand people who have 10,000 rounds of range ammo. The only reason to have that much ammo is if there was some reason you couldn't buy it and if so you'd be plenty dumb to waste it shooting at paper...

Therefore I have much high quality defense ammo.

RYT 2BER
08-26-2012, 17:54

Who says you have to walk out.. With enough ammo you don't need to walk anywhere :wavey:

Veedubklown
08-27-2012, 13:38
I buy enough defensive ammo to fill my carry guns and a spare mag. That's about 60 rounds, so I buy 2 boxes a year for my birthday. That is my reminder to change out my carry ammo, and shoot the old stuff. I've never had a malfunction with my carry ammo when I go out to shoot it from the prior year. That also gives me about 40 rounds left over to test the ammo out in both of my carry guns to be sure it's going to function correctly. My carry guns also get range time for proficiency with ball ammo.

This system works for me, and gives me peace of mind. Others do things differently, as long as your comfortable with it, it works for you. It's your life you're staking your philosophies on.

As far as percentages go... My range ammo comes and goes quickly. I try to stay stocked up, but I shoot IDPA and go out on my own for fun/drills, so trying to just sit on it is rather difficult. I'd say in a yearly count, my defensive ammo is maybe 3%.

glock20c10mm
08-27-2012, 15:25

First, as to what percentages should be had of what...that depends on 3 things: your opinion (which it appears you are in the process of forming), your own personal risk assessments, and, how much money you can or can't put toward it whether you buy from the store or roll your own.

Either way, IMO, it's more about simply having some compared to none for plinking and defensive. And if you have both during such time you need to use it, and run out of the "defensive" stash you have, there is certainly no reason you shouldn't continue loading and using what you normally reserve for "range time."

You mentioned; "I have heard you want to shoot the same weight in your practice ammo as you keep for defensive ammo....." To that I say don't beat yourself up over it. It's 9mm, which is to say there's not a big enough difference between any load in 9mm (any bullet weight at any power level) that would throw off you game to the extent of going from perfectly engaging targets to poor shooting altogether.

Opinions will vary but we're not talking about a requirement for one-hole groups here, merely combat accuracy. Combat accuracy is simply being able to hit the vitals of a human or animal target, which is a far cry from one-hole groups. Switching from one 9mm load to another isn't going to hamper that with a G19 unless there is a major manufacturing error in the ammo itself.

Good Luck!

Bren
08-27-2012, 15:57
I like to have at least a 50-round box of any caliber of defensive ammo I may use. I'm pretty sure if I use it in a gun fight I will remember to buy some more.

All the rest (a few thousand rounds) is range or hunting ammo, but any of it can be used for defense.

Merkavaboy
08-29-2012, 20:35
Agree,

Hey VAFISH :wavey:

I don't consider myself one of those "SHTF" type people, but I do pick up bulk ammo when the price is right: 1K of Norinco 9mm @ $5 ea., 3K of Blazer 9mm @ $6.25 ea. (before BHO got elected Clown in Chief), 1200 rnd case of S&B and 1K of Fed XM882 NATO in the late 90's etc.

I don't shoot as much as I used to, but I can always sell boxes of ammo and still double my money. :supergrin:

Warp
08-29-2012, 23:46
Depends on caliber, and when you ask.

For my handgun calibers I have at least a few hundred 'defensive' rounds. Often more.

youngdocglock
08-29-2012, 23:51
uhhhhh not much. I keep about 100rnds of SD. vs 2,500-3k range ammo.

mastrbloata
09-03-2012, 11:20
My only concern about the carry ammo is whether I will be able to get it when my supply runs low. I generally keep 500 rounds in stock, which would be slightly over $300 worth. I do not think the ratio question is valid. If the SHTF it all becomes defensive ammo to me. This guy stole my thunder. I second that if SHTF, it's all defensive ammo anyway. I've probably got 800 rounds of 9mm. Gold Dot but that's because ammo prices are going up, not down and I learned after the ammo Obamalypse of 08' that if this guy wins again, you could be waiting a year or more to get defense ammo again. Maybe longer. I'd say keep at least 500 of your favorite defense ammo around at all times and just keep stockpiling the FMJ stuff. You've probably noticed for yourself that ammo goes fast at the range. Now imagine that ammo production ceases for a while or you just can't get any after this next election. How much will your current supply last if you practice regularly and don't reload during either of these scenarios?:dunno:

judgecrater
09-04-2012, 16:46
Couple of boxes of SD ammo per caliber and thousands of components for practice ammo. I would not feel defenseless if I had to resort to using my 45 cal 200 grain semi-watcutters at 950 fps.

Ranger45
09-04-2012, 18:04
Wish my wife shared your wife's perspective on the need for more ammo...

SCmasterblaster
09-12-2012, 14:44
I have over 400 9x19 115gr FMJ rounds on hand for my G17. I have 50 rounds of 9mm 115gr +p+ loads standing by for defensive needs.

Warp
09-12-2012, 16:43
I have over 400 9x19 115gr FMJ rounds on hand for my G17. I have 50 rounds of 9mm 115gr +p+ loads standing by for defensive needs.

I thought you carried more than 50 rounds at a time?

SCmasterblaster
09-12-2012, 16:53
I thought you carried more than 50 rounds at a time?

No, just 32 rounds in two magazines. :supergrin: