Hornady Zombie Max Ammo... REALLY?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Zombie Max Ammo... REALLY?!

SGT278ACR
08-23-2012, 10:37
I was just talking to a co-worker about this ammo. You know... I love the show "The Walking Dead" but that's about as far as my fascination with the "zombie" thing goes. We were saying that somebody up at Hornady's corporate headquarters is sitting back and laughing their asses off at how much money they're making off the zombie novelty ammo. Change the color on the ammo and design a scary zombie looking box for packaging and they're making a killing off of a bunch of geeks buying up the ammo just because it says "zombie" on the box. When in reality, it's just "critical defense" with different colored tips and a cartoon box.

Creatism
08-23-2012, 10:44
Some places are charging double for "zombie max" I bet they are laughing.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

PettyOfficer
08-23-2012, 10:49
I was at a gunshow recently where a box of 20 Zombie were cheaper than a box of 20 Critical Defense.

I thought they are the same and laughed a little inside.

I'm tempted to buy a box for the novelty sake, but why not shoot good ammo? As well, I already have my SD ammo stocked up nicely.

M 7
08-23-2012, 12:13
Too controversial for legitimate SD use. (try 'splainin' why you used ammo designed to "kill" the "undead" to the jury without looking like a "nut")

Too expensive for practice. (plain old ball ammo is much cheaper)

Pass.

blacksheep40
08-23-2012, 12:40
but trying to be a troll or start a fight but I for one am tired of the "legal aspect" comments of all things firearms...

M 7
08-23-2012, 13:55
but trying to be a troll or start a fight but I for one am tired of the "legal aspect" comments of all things firearms...

I beg to differ. I wasn't trolling or trying to start a fight.

I simply voiced a simple observation and opinion.

I've not called anyone a name, derided anyone's opinion or acted disrespectfully.

blacksheep40
08-23-2012, 14:07
sorry, auto correct fudged my post.. *not trying to be a troll

blacksheep40
08-23-2012, 14:08
damn you autocorrect...

9mm +p+
08-23-2012, 14:10

Agreed, everyone is a friggin attorney online.

Kromedome
08-23-2012, 14:11
Love the Zombie thing! Movies, novels, e-books and such are a treat to me. The Walking Dead is my absolute fave tv show but, that being said, I can't bring myself to purchase anything zombie/firearm related. Glad the merch is moving money around but it's surely not for me. ETA: Don't want to side-track the OP but has anyone seen those EO-Tech Zombie Stopper HWS's? :yuck:

blacksheep40
08-23-2012, 14:17
another thing that kills me is the people in yt videos showing the pistol is unloaded 9000 times... I'm not in the room for your dumb ass to shoot me, so I dont care if your gun is unloaded...

JW1178
08-23-2012, 14:23
In a legal sense any prosecutor that tried to argue that ammo as more deadly would be the one that looks like a nut. You can say "its no different that the regular stuff and since I make my living from work and not stealing I had to actually buy it and it was cheaper, and it's just a joke". All in all it's just packaging.

I think that if you were really facing zombies who are already dead, the only way to stop them would be to totally disable them so they couldn't physically do anything to you, so anything less than a shotgun would be futile because you would have to dismember them.

Anyways, I don't worry about a coming of a zombie appocolypse, I worry about the ********* appocolypse that is already upon us.

M 7
08-23-2012, 14:34
sorry, auto correct fudged my post.. *not trying to be a troll

blacksheep,

OK. No problem. :)

Seems these days everyone takes exception to everything- guess I am getting too sensitive to it. :upeyes:

CigarandScotch
08-23-2012, 14:47
I bought some for the novelty factor (and not to shoot or use for SD for the same reasons mentioned above). Yes, I am a geek. I figure sooner or later they will either stop selling it, or the MSM will do some stupid story about it so it gets pulled from the shelves. Then it will become the stuff of legend, like Black Talons.

Maybe I will be able to get $5 per round...

robhic
08-23-2012, 16:27
I bought some for the novelty and to take my eldest grand dude shooting. He shot up a bunch of Zombie targets with Zombie ammo and was a happy boy. Shootin' and learnin' the "way of the 9mm" I felt was a win-win proposition! :supergrin:

OctoberRust
08-23-2012, 16:37
Wow OP, welcome to 4 months ago. :rofl:

And yea, I bought a box in 9mm... Not to use, or carry, but just to say I have a box of "zombie ammo" :rofl:

20$ well spent IMO.

Glockdude1
08-23-2012, 16:46
http://i40.tinypic.com/10naloy.jpg

Be prepared!!

:cool:

jbglock
08-23-2012, 17:17
1. I guess I'm getting old. I just don't get all this Zombie ammo stuff although I've seen a few movies on it that were interesting.
2. I never thought about it but Zombie stuff would make a good news story. Now I'm going to have to buy some just in case it does become a collectible if I can find it cheap enough. If it never does I can just shoot it. :)
3. Zombie targets I can't get enough of! Not for me but for my son. We end every range session with me rewarding him for safe gun handling and good marksmanship with a few of the reactive Zombie targets at 10 yards. He hangs them up in his room and loves showing them off. I made a smiley face for him with my Glock at 10 yards yesterday and he couldn't have been less impressed. Those Zombie targets though he just has to show to his friends and family. LOL! Anything that encourages a youth to shoot more is good in my book. :)

jfost11
08-23-2012, 17:26
another thing that kills me is the people in yt videos showing the pistol is unloaded 9000 times... I'm not in the room for your dumb ass to shoot me, so I dont care if your gun is unloaded...

I feel the same way. If they shot their camera or themselves, I figure the video wouldn't have been posted.

swinokur
08-24-2012, 04:13
Apparently the marketing guys think they have stumbled onto something. I've seen ads for "Zombie" products from Crimson Trace and Eotech as well. I'm sure there are more. It must be working or they wouldn't market the stuff that way.

Seems a bit silly to me.

xnicodemusx
08-24-2012, 08:24
Apparently the marketing guys think they have stumbled onto something. I've seen ads for "Zombie" products from Crimson Trace and Eotech as well. I'm sure there are more. It must be working or they wouldn't market the stuff that way.

Seems a bit silly to me.

Im sure we would all make the decision to market ammo as "zombie" killing ammo, if we knew that it was going to increase sales and profit for the company that was selling it. Now that one company has done it, everyone else is gonna ride their coat-tails..... all the way to the bank.

elliotb33
08-24-2012, 09:41
I was at a gunshow recently where a box of 20 Zombie were cheaper than a box of 20 Critical Defense.

I thought they are the same and laughed a little inside.

I'm tempted to buy a box for the novelty sake, but why not shoot good ammo? As well, I already have my SD ammo stocked up nicely.

Yea I see some places the zombie is cheaper than the defense.

JW1178
08-24-2012, 10:28
Imagine the prosecutor trying to get a case based upon the fact you used "zombiemax" ammo. "Your honor and jury, this stuff was excessive, it was for killing zombies" He/she would look like a total nut. I guess Winchester Silvertips are Vampire ammo?

Seriously though, when you start talking about zombies, vampires, and warewolves, your professional creditability just goes down the tubes. Then the defense gets the evidence that it is no different than their standard carry ammo, and what little you had of your dignity gets you a contempt hearing in court.

M 7
08-24-2012, 15:56
Imagine the prosecutor trying to get a case based upon the fact you used "zombiemax" ammo. "Your honor and jury, this stuff was excessive, it was for killing zombies" He/she would look like a total nut. I guess Winchester Silvertips are Vampire ammo?

Seriously though, when you start talking about zombies, vampires, and warewolves, your professional creditability just goes down the tubes. Then the defense gets the evidence that it is no different than their standard carry ammo, and what little you had of your dignity gets you a contempt hearing in court.

It'd be nice if everyone was guaranteed that treatment and outcome, but in many parts of the country, an honest, rational environment is not what you, as someone who has fired a gun in self-defense, will experience. Instead, every attempt will be made to villify and embarss you and the prosecution will use everything they can to convince the jury that you are a loon who thinks zombies exist 'cause you used zombie killin' ammo. Juries tend to be poorly informed about guns and ammo, not to mention they are often "anti-gun", and the prosecution will exploit that if they can.

I'll stick with my plain-jane HSTs and let my attorney about more important stuff while he is defending me.

jakebrake
08-24-2012, 16:08
damn you autocorrect...

stupid autocorrect is a piece of shirt!

jbglock
08-24-2012, 17:54
It'd be nice if everyone was guaranteed that treatment and outcome, but in many parts of the country, an honest, rational environment is not what you, as someone who has fired a gun in self-defense, will experience. Instead, every attempt will be made to villify and embarss you and the prosecution will use everything they can to convince the jury that you are a loon who thinks zombies exist 'cause you used zombie killin' ammo. Juries tend to be poorly informed about guns and ammo, not to mention they are often "anti-gun", and the prosecution will exploit that if they can.

I'll stick with my plain-jane HSTs and let my attorney about more important stuff while he is defending me.
I agree with this. I see nothing wrong in having it for novelty or fun on the range but I'd never use it any of my carry guns.

M 7
08-24-2012, 19:49
I agree with this. I see nothing wrong in having it for novelty or fun on the range but I'd never use it any of my carry guns.

Yeah, it would go great with those 3D Zombie targets that ooze "blood" when you shoot 'em up. :cool:

Theronius
08-25-2012, 10:19

You'd get off on a technicality, because everyone knows Silvertips are werewolf-shootin' rounds!!! :rofl:

JW1178
08-25-2012, 11:07
So if I shot someone with the zombie max ammo and they die, wouldn't that prove they are a zombie? Since a zombie is already dead, they can't charger with murder.

Kind of like the mid evil days, if they accused someone of being a witch, they would burn you at the stake and if you burned that proved you were a witch. They didn't have any of this high tech equipment but by golly, everyone they accused turned out to be guilty. :supergrin:

unit1069
08-25-2012, 11:20
Hornady is just maximizing profits by tweaking one of its standard JHP self-defense rounds, packaging it in a different box, and selling it at a higher price. Yes, it's a novelty but the product itself is part of Hornady's top line.

Remington repackaged it's Golden Saber with a new name and is charging $5/box more for the same Golden Saber round.

SGT278ACR
08-26-2012, 18:36
Wow OP, welcome to 4 months ago. :rofl:

And yea, I bought a box in 9mm... Not to use, or carry, but just to say I have a box of "zombie ammo" :rofl:

20$ well spent IMO.

:rofl:Better for you to be out $20 for a cartoon comic printed box than me. Yep, about 4 months too late, but I think I was doing more important things at the time like scratching my ass. To each his own. Glad you like it.

.50 cal
08-31-2012, 13:21
I have some of the 12 gauge Zmax and wouldn't hesitate to use it in defense if I am out of standard buckshot, If I fear for my life I won't worry about convincing a jury that a reasonable person in my shoes wouldn't have done the same, any decent lawyer will show ammo choice shouldn't be a deciding factor in my fait

jbglock
08-31-2012, 15:16
People in this forum really should start going to court some. Honestly I'd think the same as many of you if I didn't have to go so much because of my job and didn't get to talk to juries afterwards (win or lose) to see what influenced them. Let's not forget that many times a lot of leeway is given in the closing arguments. Things that were not introduced as fact are often introduced in an underhanded way right then. Things that we as knowledgeable enthusiasts consider silly can easily become one of many factors that will influence the jury. I'm even sitting here now wondering if any Zombie .22lr ammo is out there for my child to use for fun when he is shooting Zombie targets. Still I'd never put any in a gun I have on my side for self defense and the argument that one of you might run out of ammo and have to use your Zombie ammo is just silly. Who can't afford the cheaper ammo yet stocks up on the Zombie novelty stuff?

michael_b
08-31-2012, 15:30
People in this forum really should start going to court some. Honestly I'd think the same as many of you if I didn't have to go so much because of my job and didn't get to talk to juries afterwards (win or lose) to see what influenced them. Let's not forget that many times a lot of leeway is given in the closing arguments. Things that were not introduced as fact are often introduced in an underhanded way right then. Things that we as knowledgeable enthusiasts consider silly can easily become one of many factors that will influence the jury. I'm even sitting here now wondering if any Zombie .22lr ammo is out there for my child to use for fun when he is shooting Zombie targets. Still I'd never put any in a gun I have on my side for self defense and the argument that one of you might run out of ammo and have to use your Zombie ammo is just silly. Who can't afford the cheaper ammo yet stocks up on the Zombie novelty stuff?

I would tend to agree especially since the Z-Max ammo is marked in bold letters 'NOT FOR USE ON HUMANS'( something to that effect I can't remember exactly).

I bet that would cause a ruckus.

Marred
09-08-2012, 22:53
Rick, put it this way:

Bear in mind that the most classic "good shoot" becomes a "questionable shoot" as soon as the "question" is raised in the form of a lawsuit, no matter how unmeritorious that lawsuit may be.

You are on the jury. The question is whether the shooter is reckless or negligent. You find out he used "Zombie ammo," whose own manufacturer makes it clear is a novelty product. How serious and responsible does that make the shooter look to you, the juror?

best,
Mas

Mas doesn't think it's a good idea either.

bobtheelf
09-09-2012, 11:35
Too controversial for legitimate SD use. (try 'splainin' why you used ammo designed to "kill" the "undead" to the jury without looking like a "nut")

I don't understand this argument. If it's the same as Critical Defense, I would think a competent lawyer should be able to demonstrate that, and a simple explanation of "it was (less expensive/more available) than identical ammo of a different color" should be sufficient.

bobtheelf
09-09-2012, 11:39

I'm mostly OK with that. Nothing wrong with reinforcing good safe habits.

M 7
09-09-2012, 11:40
I don't understand this argument. If it's the same as Critical Defense, I would think a competent lawyer should be able to demonstrate that, and a simple explanation of "it was (less expensive/more available) than identical ammo of a different color" should be sufficient.

Read the thread. It's been discussed.

jbglock
09-09-2012, 11:44

No offense but a good lawyer could make it an issue easily. Whether the jury buys it or not is another story. You can't depend on having a jury full of people sympathetic towards our rights.

bobtheelf
09-09-2012, 11:45

I did read the thread. That doesn't mean I agree with all the conclusions drawn. It would be nice if there were some actual cases where this issue came up.

M 7
09-09-2012, 12:13
I don't understand this argument.[/COLOR] If it's the same as Critical Defense, I would think a competent lawyer should be able to demonstrate that, and a simple explanation of "it was (less expensive/more available) than identical ammo of a different color" should be sufficient.

I did read the thread. That doesn't mean I agree with all the conclusions drawn. It would be nice if there were some actual cases where this issue came up.

In your first post you stated, "I don't understand this argument." and then you stated, "That doesn't mean I agree with all the conclusions drawn."

There's a big difference between "not understanding" and "not agreeing".

If you don't understand, please feel free to read the thread. It's been discussed.

If you don't agree with me, well, that's fine, too. I never said that you had to. :dunno:

You can also refer to post #35 and get the perspective of an expert (M. Ayoob) on the matter.

bobtheelf
09-09-2012, 12:19
In your first post you stated, "I don't understand this argument." and then you stated, "That doesn't mean I agree with all the conclusions drawn."

There's a big difference between "not understanding" and "not agreeing".

If you don't understand, please feel free to read the thread. It's been discussed.

If you don't agree with me, well, that's fine, too. I never said that you had to. :dunno:

Or you can see post #35 and get the perspective of an expert (M. Ayoob) on the matter.

Ah, well, I guess I had just hoped that the rest of my post would have led to a different reading of "understand" than the literal "I am ignorant of the issue".

Like I said, I'd like to see if there have been any actually cases where this has been an issue or if it's just a theoretical discussion.

M 7
09-09-2012, 12:24
Ah, well, I guess I had just hoped that the rest of my post would have led to a different reading of "understand" than the literal "I am ignorant of the issue".

Like I said, I'd like to see if there have been any actually cases where this has been an issue or if it's just a theoretical discussion.

No problem. :winkie:

Since I don't carry the stuff, I've never had the desire to go looking for a case involving the issue, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't mind seeing an example either.

Maybe someone has one- you could also go hit Mas' subforum and ask him. :dunno:

TattooedGlock
09-09-2012, 12:36
They're legit SD rounds. If you make a legal justified SD shooting, the bullet you use matters not. Just like if you have a skull tattoo. If however you make an unjustified shot, all things will come out in the insuing dog and pony show.

WoodenPlank
09-09-2012, 12:53
They're legit SD rounds. If you make a legal justified SD shooting, the bullet you use matters not. Just like if you have a skull tattoo. If however you make an unjustified shot, all things will come out in the insuing dog and pony show.

Tell that to Harold Fish. An unscrupulous prosecutor can and will use anything against you that they can - Punisher logo grips, "aggressive" looking tattoos, an "overly powerful" caliber, etc. Anything they can do to make you look like an unjustified nutjob will get pulled out in court if the DA wants to make an example of you, build a name from putting a "homicidal maniac looking for an excuse to kill someone," or myriad other reasons to put you behind bars.

WinterWizard
09-09-2012, 16:40
The irony is that for zombies you don't want a hollow point - you want fmj for skull piercing. So if a company really wanted to make zombie novelty ammo, they should make some kind of +P FMJ with a pronounced pointy nose.

.50 cal
09-09-2012, 17:02
The irony is that for zombies you don't want a hollow point - you want fmj for skull piercing. So if a company really wanted to make zombie novelty ammo, they should make some kind of +P FMJ with a pronounced pointy nose.

My 12 gauge zMax should take their heads off, not worried about penetration, it would actually take a Zombie apocalypse for me to empty the ammo cabinet and resort to using this ammo

avenues165
09-09-2012, 17:04

I disagree with your choice of a FMJ. I think the JHP would cause more head damage and therefore would be more effective against a zombie. However, for zombie protection, you really need to be using a shotgun, blows heads apart!!

Now if Zombies have a tougher skull than a human then a FMJ might make sense. Does anyone know if a zombie has a thicker skull than us humans?

jbglock
09-10-2012, 04:56

Just because it should be legally justified doesn't mean that is what the police, DA, or family will see it that way.

eracer
09-10-2012, 05:18
Why is 'Zombie Max' ammo any more ridiculous than 'Black Talon', 'Varmint Grenade', or 'Ted Nugent' ammo? Or are those marketing labels somehow less deserving of disdain because they don't cash in on the Zombie craze?

eracer
09-10-2012, 05:20
I disagree with your choice of a FMJ. I think the JHP would cause more head damage and therefore would be more effective against a zombie. However, for zombie protection, you really need to be using a shotgun, blows heads apart!!

Now if Zombies have a tougher skull than a human then a FMJ might make sense. Does anyone know if a zombie has a thicker skull than us humans?You haven't been keeping up with 'Walking Dead.' We've learned that it's easy to slip a knife through the skull and into the head of a zombie. I think that's pretty tough to do to a real person.

jbglock
09-10-2012, 11:27
Why is 'Zombie Max' ammo any more ridiculous than 'Black Talon', 'Varmint Grenade', or 'Ted Nugent' ammo? Or are those marketing labels somehow less deserving of disdain because they don't cash in on the Zombie craze?

Do any of those carry a label stating they are not for use on humans? I'd be shocked if a good lawyer didn't make an issue of the ammo used.

M 7
09-10-2012, 11:43
Do any of those carry a label stating they are not for use on humans? I'd be shocked if a good lawyer didn't make an issue of the ammo used.

Same here. Even with a perfectly justifiable shooting, I'd be kind of nervous having a jury see that. They get all sorts of weird ideas and having my freedom in the balance makes me wanna stay clear of the "novelty" stuff.

Guatariccan
09-10-2012, 19:44
I'm a big zombie fan, but the only zombie max I bought was the 7.62x39. It is the only round I can find similar to the SST right now. Works really well on hogs.

JW1178
09-11-2012, 21:57
Tell that to Harold Fish. An unscrupulous prosecutor can and will use anything against you that they can - Punisher logo grips, "aggressive" looking tattoos, an "overly powerful" caliber, etc. Anything they can do to make you look like an unjustified nutjob will get pulled out in court if the DA wants to make an example of you, build a name from putting a "homicidal maniac looking for an excuse to kill someone," or myriad other reasons to put you behind bars.

Clearly you know little about the case. There were other factors in that case. That happened in a state before that state had a stand your ground or castle doctrine law.

avenues165
09-12-2012, 00:22
You haven't been keeping up with 'Walking Dead.' We've learned that it's easy to slip a knife through the skull and into the head of a zombie. I think that's pretty tough to do to a real person.

You're right, I haven't. I need to remember that effective zombie training does need to include study of the enemy.

However, the FMJs out there don't have the green inserts. Doesn't that make them have more zombie stoppin' power (ZSP)? I have heard that green paint can add to ZSP. You have to remember that we aren't looking for zombie killin' bullets (ZKB), we are looking for zombie stoppin' bullets (ZSB). Comparing ZKB and ZSB is like comparing apples to oranges.

Delcorbett
09-12-2012, 00:39
19 rounds ready to rock!!!

Sent from my Flux Capacitor!

bballer182
09-16-2012, 19:43
I laugh all the way to my reloading bench. I can buy z-max projectiles cheaper than I can buy v-max projectiles. While the V and the Z bullet are different colors they are the exact same bullet. Dont know what the deal is with the pricing, but I ain't complaining.

Clutch Cargo
09-16-2012, 21:13
I gave a boxes of that ammo in .223 to friends last Christmas. I believe that was the best use for a "collectable" ammo.

unit1069
09-16-2012, 21:29
I gave a boxes of that ammo in .223 to friends last Christmas. I believe that was the best use for a "collectable" ammo.

Yes, aside from the issue that Hornady's bullets are pretty well proven designs the added cost of the Zombie ammo indicates to me that this is a novelty item that only adds to Hornady's financial bottom line.

Angry Fist
09-16-2012, 21:30
For the thousandth time... No 10MM? **** off!

Marred
09-17-2012, 08:06
Doe anyone know how the Critical Defense ammo does on sales?
If CD is only for snubbies then maybe it doesn't sell that well and if that's the case and if Zombie Max is CD but just a different box and color then this is marketing genius.

Glockdude1
09-17-2012, 15:05
For the thousandth time... No 10MM? **** off!

The 10mm is used when nuking it from orbit, just to be sure.......

:supergrin:

eracer
09-17-2012, 15:10
I gave a boxes of that ammo in .223 to friends last Christmas. I believe that was the best use for a "collectable" ammo.That's exactly what I did.

A box for me, and a box each for two friends.

Mine sits on the shelf, and I'll never use it (unless there really is a zombie apocalypse, LOL.)

I for one am OK with sometimes giving money to an American firearms industry company, even if the product is an overpriced, blatant marketing gimmick.

WinterWizard
09-22-2012, 11:55

Now if Zombies have a tougher skull than a human then a FMJ might make sense. Does anyone know if a zombie has a thicker skull than us humans?

Any bullet that gets into the brain is gonna stop a zombie. A .22LR would do the job in most cases.

My preferred zombie gun (real zombies, not just rioting hoards) would be a Glock 17 with a quality laser sight (zeroed for about 15 yards), a threaded barrel w/ a suppressor (so shots are quiet and don't attract other zombies), and a bunch of hi-cap mags. I'd be using plain jane 115 gr. FMJ ammo.

IMO, a shotgun is a poor choice as a zombie apocalypse gun. What happens when you have to take out about 20-25 zombies and your shotgun only holds 8-9 shells, max? Not to mention it's overkill and your shoulder will be upset with you after you've killed about 20-30 dead heads. And also not to mention it's heavy and so is the ammo.

But hey, whatever. I have a 12 gauge, two pistols and an AR-15. Any will do the job.

Leigh
09-22-2012, 12:40
Decomposition aside, a zombie's skull is no harder to penerate than yours or mine...don't ask me how I know.

Angry Fist
09-22-2012, 14:23
Decomposition aside, a zombie's skull is no harder to penerate than yours or mine...don't ask me how I know.
Never put anything through anything's skull, but I believe ya. SRSLY. :thumbsup:

Leigh
09-22-2012, 14:57
Never put anything through anything's skull, but I believe ya. SRSLY. :thumbsup:

Kidding OF COURSE, but anytime I read a zombie-related thread, I tend to let my mind wander....

unit1069
09-22-2012, 18:47
Any bullet that gets into the brain is gonna stop a zombie. A .22LR would do the job in most cases.

Yes, and that's why my dedicated zombie gun is a Ruger Mark II with 6 7/8" barrel. Ammo is relatively cheap, and even the premium .22lr ammo is a bargain compared to other calibers that don't really yield any better self-defense against the walking dead.

Just look at all the videos of zombie attacks. You want to load yourself down with heavy high caliber ammo when you can pack three times the ammo knowing that when these hordes suddenly appear on the scene ready to rip you to shreds you need to be prepared and mobile?

"One shot, one kill" for zombies is my rule of thumb. It used to be that these unfortunate once-alive corpses would amble up to a live human just begging to be put out of their misery, but say goodbye to the good ole' days, my friends. The recent variety run very fast and are extremely starved for human blood, so it's best to have as much ammo as possible, with a quality weapon that can deliver accurate head shots close in or at distance.

Sure, a .22lr rifle is good, but since these walking dead can come out of nowhere any time 24/7 I prefer a top-flight handgun with at least 30 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag, Stinger, or Velocitor at the ready with a lot more of bulk pack Federal in reserve for backup.

All else failing my fallback plan is to fall onto the hand grenade before these monsters turn me into one of them.

SCmasterblaster
09-27-2012, 19:08
The leftist liberals have hissie fits over ordinary hollow point bullets. Imagine what a liberal prosecutor would do if a shooter used this exotic ammo in a shooting. The jury would be painted for sure.

wlkjr
09-27-2012, 19:36
I think all the Zombie talk is a bunch of silliness. On the other hand, I did buy a box of the Zmax because it was cheaper. I'm not concerned about my 10MM with Grim Reaper slide lock cover. Or the amount of big holes in an intruder. Have not come across any Critical Defense ammo for the 10 yet although it is made.
I'm surprised someone doesn't make a brand call Red Kryptonite claiming "this stuff would kill Superman". They could really have a field day with that.

SCmasterblaster
09-27-2012, 19:41
I think all the Zombie talk is a bunch of silliness. On the other hand, I did buy a box of the Zmax because it was cheaper. I'm not concerned about my 10MM with Grim Reaper slide lock cover. Or the amount of big holes in an intruder. Have not come across any Critical Defense ammo for the 10 yet although it is made.
I'm surprised someone doesn't make a brand call Red Kryptonite claiming "this stuff would kill Superman". They could really have a field day with that.

Yes, an ignorant jury would have a field day with such nonsense.

nursetim
09-27-2012, 19:56
I was at a lgs and he showed me this and I expressed disdain at the very concept of zombie branded anything. He's told me that they were making more of the zombie stuff and thus charging less for the exact same stuff only green putty.

SCmasterblaster
09-27-2012, 20:28
I was at a lgs and he showed me this and I expressed disdain at the very concept of zombie branded anything. He's told me that they were making more of the zombie stuff and thus charging less for the exact same stuff only green putty.

Can you iamgine what a jury would think when an attorney tells then that you used ZOMBIE ammunition to shoot the poor dead criminal. :shocked:

Glockdude1
09-28-2012, 05:35
The leftist liberals have hissie fits over ordinary hollow point bullets. Imagine what a liberal prosecutor would do if a shooter used this exotic ammo in a shooting. The jury would be painted for sure.

Green maybe???

:tongueout:

SCmasterblaster
09-28-2012, 10:11
Green maybe???

:tongueout:

Yes, green is the likely color. :cool:

JW1178
09-28-2012, 19:30
A prosecuter won't get a case based upon that, and if he does, well, when the facts are laid out, he will just look stupid.

Anyone who uses the word Zombie seriously loses all professional creditability anyways. It's like talking about ghosts, gobblins, vampires, warewolves, fairies, UFO's and the such. I mean really, if the lawyer gets up and said "he shot the burgler with ammo that was designed for zombies..." and that would probably be the end of his career.

M 7
09-28-2012, 19:55
A prosecuter won't get a case based upon that, and if he does, well, when the facts are laid out, he will just look stupid.

Anyone who uses the word Zombie seriously loses all professional creditability anyways. It's like talking about ghosts, gobblins, vampires, warewolves, fairies, UFO's and the such. I mean really, if the lawyer gets up and said "he shot the burgler with ammo that was designed for zombies..." and that would probably be the end of his career.

In a perfect world, maybe.

Prosecutors come in all flavors, some of 'em are honorable folks and some of 'em...well...not so much.

All he has to do is display the box of ammo with that goofy advertizing on it to the jury and he paints the defendant instantly as some delusional nut- whether the defendant is or isn't- the prosecutor has planted that seed in the juror's minds. The prosecutor isn't saying that he himself believes in such things, just that the defendant must somehow subscribe to the notion.

It's not a risk that I'd be willing to take.

jetttstream
09-28-2012, 20:06
In a legal sense any prosecutor that tried to argue that ammo as more deadly would be the one that looks like a nut. You can say "its no different that the regular stuff and since I make my living from work and not stealing I had to actually buy it and it was cheaper, and it's just a joke". All in all it's just packaging.

I think that if you were really facing zombies who are already dead, the only way to stop them would be to totally disable them so they couldn't physically do anything to you, so anything less than a shotgun would be futile because you would have to dismember them.

Anyways, I don't worry about a coming of a zombie appocolypse, I worry about the ********* appocolypse that is already upon us.

This is perfect!

Indianashooter
09-28-2012, 20:41
I currently carry Zombie Max in my G 19. They're darn accurate! What is everyone's problem with this? I will continue to carry them until I can catch a sale on Gold Dots. As others have said, it's just Critical Defense ammo with a different color. I carry Critical Defense stuff in my Smith 642. The Zombie Max/Critical Defense ammo is some of the most accurate stuff I've ever fired.

jbglock
09-28-2012, 20:47
Per Hornady...
"Disclaimer: HornadyŽ Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with HornadyŽ Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, HornadyŽ Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!"

http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax

SCmasterblaster
09-29-2012, 08:36
I currently carry Zombie Max in my G 19. They're darn accurate! What is everyone's problem with this? I will continue to carry them until I can catch a sale on Gold Dots. As others have said, it's just Critical Defense ammo with a different color. I carry Critical Defense stuff in my Smith 642. The Zombie Max/Critical Defense ammo is some of the most accurate stuff I've ever fired.

Any details on what kind of accuracy you got? Like what size group, how far, and how many shots? :cool:

chewybaca67
09-30-2012, 11:43
Huh. 500 rounds of Zombie Max was cheaper to reload than the basic Rem 55 grain hp. As for advertising, you guys need to lighten up. It's just for a little fun.

SCmasterblaster
10-01-2012, 09:59

Let's hope that you never have to shoot anyone and then explain the exotic ammo to a ignorant jury. :shocked: