Anyone have their gun collection insured? Who can appraise guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have their gun collection insured? Who can appraise guns?

WarEagle32
08-23-2012, 13:48
I am looking at getting my gun collection insured. I am renting a home right now and renters insurance only covers about 1000 bucks worth of guns if they were stolen. I have about 12-15K total in my gun collection. So I have talked to 2 different insurance carriers who each told me that I would need them appraised to do a policy. Any serious info besides "get a good safe" will be greatly appreciated because they are my favorite possessions as most of you can relate. I have a good safe but you never know what all could happen. Thanks alot guys!

Keyhole
08-23-2012, 14:00
I just insured all of mine with my local State Farm agent. I had to provide pictures, serial numbers, dates of purchase, and replacement value (no appraisal). This even included two NFA items. Very easy.

WarEagle32
08-23-2012, 14:02
I just insured all of mine with my local State Farm agent. I had to provide pictures, serial numbers, dates of purchase, and replacement value (no appraisal). This even included two NFA items. Very easy.

I have all that but dates of purchase.

Rancher
08-23-2012, 14:21
Im with American Family. All they needed was any official looking piece of paper from any gun shop with a value listed of each item. I went to a local pawn shop that I do transfers with and he said he bet I had a better idea of the value than him and so I just listed the firearms on his stationary along with the value of each and he signed it. Then provided my agent with a photo's of each gun and the appraisal. Pretty simple.

Ammo was considered personel property and is insured as such. These days got a LOT of ammo around!

Rancher

Keyhole
08-23-2012, 15:45
My dates of purchase were month/year estimates, except for the NFAs.

deadmanglocking
08-23-2012, 17:04
Nationwide insures mine under the home insurance. I think they cover up to $5,000 without appraisals.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

roger123
08-23-2012, 17:48
I just called about this yesterday, with USAA they are covered as personal propery up to your limit.

I asked about a rider and he gave me prices for a limit I asked for, he didn't mention needing an appraisal.

roguedaddy
08-23-2012, 18:05
We have USAA, love them! Only problem I see is that any guns someone bought/traded for face to face are now on a list so everyone/anyone knows you have them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ChuteTheMall
08-23-2012, 18:14
We have USAA, love them! Only problem I see is that any guns someone bought/traded for face to face are now on a list so everyone/anyone knows you have them.

You don't have to list every gun, such as the FTF guns that were lost during the canoe trip.
:drowning:

michael e
08-23-2012, 18:26
No info was give from me, told them what I needed in coverage and told them I would provide serial numbers and photos receipts if something happened. Was good enought for them.

mobilecommand
08-23-2012, 18:32
I got a rider for all my guns since my amount well exceeded what i could get on renters insurance. i had to provide a description and serial number and as long as each gun was not over 3500 each that was it .. Each gun over 3500 i would have to get it appraised.

Its for replacement value and i listed everything from custom work, sights etc.

i think it only costs me 10 ish a month and for the piece of mind with worth it.

oh yea i use state farm.

chemcmndr
08-24-2012, 00:36
I get a "temporary" policy for my firearms when I travel with them via airlines. My State Farm agent only requires the make, model, serial number, and value I want them insured for. I never had to get them appraised.